Free online storygaming

Chapter 7: The Emissaries
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Chapter 7: The Emissaries  

The story so far: You are Lodevar, born to the race of sheepheads enslaved by the Bullroar minotaurs. Your have an unusual form compared to most sheepheads, with a small head and no horns. With the help of the merfolk race, you’ve started a slave rebellion and raided the Bullroars’ coastal towns and villages from your island base. The Bullroars have asked to negotiate under truce. You’ve heard that a representative of the Emperor, who rules over all the Wheel, will also come.

Last Decision: Contact the Bullroars through someone besides the merfolk to see what they want.

The merfolk are your allies, but you’ve had enough ominous prophecies and strange behavior on their part that you don’t trust them completely. You arrange for one of your people to make contact directly with the Bullroars under a flag of truce and see if they’ve really asked for an audience.

But the answer you get back is the same as what Petrosian told you: the Bullroars want safe passage to speak to you; they’re willing to meet in a place of your choosing; and with them will be a representative of the Emperor. You decide to arrange the meeting and to invite the merfolk.

You don't want to receive them in the main city, where they could judge its size and its defenses. So you set up a dock on the far side of Freehome, and ask the merfolk to bear the emissaries there. The merfolk princes and generals, with Petrosian first among them, line the sides of the dock. Your advisors, including Haman and the prophet Nelectitus, sit by your side, and more than enough sheephead guards stand nearby to deter the Bullroars from any treacherous attack. You wait as the low covered boat sails in, flanked by merfolk, and lands at the dock.

The first creature to emerge from the boat is a Bullroar of great girth and wearing a rich red cloak and golden jewelry. He strides onto the dock proudly and surveys the crowd with contempt, as though you were a group of insects disturbing his lunch. Then his eyes alight on you and his expression changes to shrewd calculation. He bows as low as his immense bulk allows, wheezes uncomfortably from the effort, and says, "I am Lord Malleus, Chief Emissary of His Royal Highness King Niros, Ruler of Minos and Kria, Long May His Name be Honored." A murmur of anger runs through your guards at this comment, but they fall silent on your gesture. You nod to Malleus. He must be the chief negotiator.

Next two other Bullroars step out and take their places behind Malleus. They’re smaller, and they glance nervously between the merfolk and the sheepheads as they bow and take out parchment and quill pens. "My assistants," says Malleus. They must be scribes.

Then from the boat climb two sheepheads, causing more murmurs among your guards. This time you don't silence them. Have the Bullroars dared to bring their slaves to Freehome? If they mean to mock or taunt you, they will regret it. Just because you gave them free passage doesn't mean that they can show off their slaves and return to the mainland unmolested.

You stare at the sheepheads. One of them is tall and middle-aged and appears in good health. The other is older and stooped, with a fearful look about him. "I am Laredon," the tall one says, without bowing, "and this is Aegius."

Finally, two more creatures step onto the dock, and you give a start. They look like you! - each with two arms, two legs, the head of a merman - but, wait, there's something strange about the way they move, the way they walk back to back. Then you realize that what you thought was two creatures is actually a single creature with two bodies, each with two arms, two legs, and a head, attached at the back.

One half faces you - a handsome, smiling man in his 30s - and introduces himself as Yogos and his other half as Yogara. "We represent the most-high Emperor Deuspater," he says. Then he spins - a quick, disorienting move - and Yogara, a woman with short brown hair and a serious look, adds, "although in an unofficial capacity only."

What does that mean? you wonder. But you don't have time to ask, as Malleus begins speaking. "To Lodevar, the leader of the slave revolt, and to all of the rebellious slaves on this island," he calls out in a loud voice. "I bring you great news beyond your most joyous hopes. As you all well know, according to the laws of the land, the penalty for your crimes of insurrection and murder is death. But such is the generosity and goodwill of your King, so great is his desire for the well-being of his peoples, and so great his wish for peace, that he is willing to extend to each and every one of you his Royal pardon for all the crimes you have committed up till now.

"And more than that," Malleus continues, striding toward your guards and addressing them directly, "not only does he grant you full pardon, but he also - will miracles never cease? - freely gives you what you most desire and have been fighting for - your freedom."

The sheepheads look at Malleus suspiciously. "Yes, it's true," he says. "All the freedoms you want - your right to your own bodies, your own families, your own home - all of this the King will grant you. And he asks only one thing in return: that you lay down your arms and return to the mainland, swearing an oath of obedience to him."

You laugh. "Your lies are clumsy, Malleus. If we laid down our arms, you would slaughter us the moment we set foot on the mainland. The truth is that you're losing this war, so you’re trying to trick us into giving up. But for anyone who has felt the Bullroar whip, your intentions are plain."

"They say that the deceitful expect deceit," Malleus answers, still speaking to your guards and barely glancing in your direction. "But Niros is a King, and his Royal word has never been broken."

"Don't think that my people will follow you when I don't," you say to Malleus. "Even if you were telling the truth, we wouldn't take your offer, and leave our brothers and sisters in slavery."

"Oh, you pretend such concern!" says Malleus scornfully. "But your rebellion has brought more sheephead death and misery than slavery ever did. Since this war, your people are put under tighter lock and more vicious lash than ever before-"

"At your hands!" you break in angrily. "You bind them and hold them down, and they cry for relief."

"Yes, relief from you," comes the voice of Laredon, the tall sheephead who arrived with Malleus. "I am a sheephead, and a loyal subject of the King. I reject your rebellion, which has made worse the lives of sheepheads throughout Kria."

"Are you this Bullroar’s slave?" you ask. "You don’t need to be."

"I’m no one’s slave!" Laredon answers angrily. "I am a free sheephead!"

A free sheephead, in occupied Kria? You’d heard that there were some in the Inner Cities, but you’d never met one. "If you’re free, you should understand our need for freedom, too."

"You don’t deserve freedom!" he says. "You could have won your freedom as I did, by serving your master well. Instead you’ve seized it by violent insurrection, which leads to chaos and destroys everyone’s freedom. For you, freedom means the freedom to murder."

"So you believe in the slavery of your own people? Do you own slaves yourself?"

"Yes. This is my slave, Aegius." He motions to the old sheephead to his side, who draws closer to Laredon, his eyes darting back and forth between your guards, the merfolk, and the Bullroars. "My master, my master," affirms Aegius, with a look of doglike devotion.

Laredon continues, "I treat him well, so he has no desire to be free. And do you know who else is among my slaves? A Bullroar. He cost quite a few talents, more than he was worth, but I liked going to market with my Bullroar slave, watching the looks on their faces when they realized who was the slave and who was the master. Some of them hated me for it, but they couldn’t do anything. I was protected by the law.

"Now, since you launched your war, I’ve been afraid to go out. I’ve had death threats. Everyone thinks that all sheepheads are like you - bandits and savages, rebels against the King. You’ve made it much worse for all of us: our lives, our freedoms are hanging by a thread."

"So you see," breaks in Malleus, "your little rebellion has not been good for anyone, sheephead or Bullroar. If you don’t believe me, you can question Laredon or Aegius by themselves, they’ll say the same thing. Now the King has generously agreed to let you end your struggle on very good terms. Why not take him up on it?"

Laredon’s speech has thrown you off-balance and made you angry. It’s true that some sheepheads lives are worse now, but that was the Bullroars’ doing, not yours. They’re trying to confuse you. "You’re from the city," you say to Laredon. "But most of us are from the mines. In the mines, you can’t earn your freedom by serving your master well. You last a few weeks or months, depending on how long your body holds up, and then when you don’t make the quota they beat you to death. All of us would be dead by now if we hadn’t fought back. And the day we stop fighting back, we’ll be killed, no matter what promises the King makes."

"Well, we have a difference of opinion," wheezes Malleus. "Why don’t you let us make the King’s offer to all of the people in your city? If they agree with you, they can stay. But if they think the King’s word is worth something, why not let them go? They’re free sheepheads, after all, aren’t they? Why not let them make their own choice? Or are they really only slaves with a new master?"

You look at Malleus, imagining him being roasted slowly on a spit. You could do that. But you gave the Bullroars your word that they’d have safe passage, and you don’t want to break it.

Trying to distract yourself, you turn to the strange twin-like creature, the Emperor’s representative. "What do you think of this?"

"The Emperor would like to see a peaceful resolution to this conflict," says Yogara. "War between Makerite Kingdoms is a terrible thing for the Wheel."

"Would he make a judgment between us?" you ask.

Yogara spins around, and Yogos answers, "Ah, well, you see, the Empire has always recognized the Bullroar administration of Kria. Which means that a rebellion within Kria, sheephead or not, is a matter internal to the Kingdom of Minos, rather than an Imperial matter."

"Then why are you here?"

"Excellent question, excellent question. The answer is quite simple. Because, you see, this is not simply a rebellion within Kria, but one which involves another Kingdom altogether." He gestures to the merfolk lining the dock.

"And their involvement seems be related to you personally in a rather peculiar way. I’ve just heard you refer to the sheepheads as ‘your people.’ But I’ve also heard it announced that you’re a merfolk prince and that it’s because of that heritage that the King Under the Sea protects this island. Physically, you don’t resemble a merman or a sheephead, rather some mix of the two, but it would seem quite odd to imagine such a combination, no offense intended of course."

Yogos stretched around just enough for Yogara to interject, "As I mentioned, we are here in a completely unofficial capacity," and then Yogos continued, "however, if the Emperor were to become involved, certainly the first thing that he would want to know is: who is he dealing with? What are you, and where does your loyalty lie? Do you consider yourself merman, or sheephead?"

Petrosian pulls himself onto the dock. "Lodevar is a merman prince, son of the King Under the Sea. He was raised in Kria and still has some feelings for his adopted race, but he came here because he felt the call of the sea, and he was recognized as a son by the King Under the Sea. Soon he will marry a mermaid princess in a ceremony beneath the waves. He is one of us."

"I see. And is that your answer as well?" Yogos asks you.

That’s certainly not your honest answer. You feel much more sheephead than merman; you don’t even know if the King Under the Sea was telling you the truth when he said you were his son. But it’s hard to answer the question without knowing why Yogos is asking, or, for that matter, why Petrosian seemed so keen on answering for you.

And this is only one of the troubling questions in this diplomatic audience that seems to have gotten away from you. How should you respond to the Bullroars’ offer? Is there any value to speaking with Laredon or Aegius alone? Should you separate the Emperor’s agent from the Bullroars? What can you say to the Emperor’s agent that will help you? What offer can you make?

All eyes are upon you. What do you do?

Read the posts below, and click "Post Reply" to post a suggestion for the Lodevar’s next action. Anyone is welcome to post. You can suggest what he would do based on his personality, what you think he should do based on what would be best, or just in general what seems like a good idea to you. Feel free to comment on other’s suggestions, but please be courteous.

You're also welcome to ask questions about Lodevar's background or about the world of the Wheel.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject:  

Hmmmm...

Well, I would go and tell them that all your people want is freedom, so if what the bullroar king says is true, then why not free ALL sheephead slaves? They will live in peace with the mermen, in the Islands, since nobody uses them, and establish a relashionship with mermen, to protect each other... and bother or raid nobody, and that would be the perfect solution. :D :D :D :D :D
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject:  

Ooops, that was me (guest)
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject:  

Man. Keavney, you drive a heard bargain. This is one hard decision. I would say freedom no matter what. Live among the merpeople. You have to make a decision in which would benefit you the most, and I would say that the city sheepheads are too like the Bullroars. I don't think they really understand what was going on in those mines. As for dealing with the Emperor's representative, it would seem that there isn't much they can do, except insist that there be peace between all the parties. This is between the Bullroars and the Sheepheads.
Reiso

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject:  

This is good writing. What to do?

That was very below the belt of Malleus to spin the poor treatment of the slaves as the fault of the rebellion. And what, a poor poor slave owner can't go out in public without being harrassed and we're suppose to feel sorry for him because he used to be a slave? I don't care how comfortable your life seems or how many freedoms you currently enjoy, if you never made a stand then your soul was bought, sold and paid for a long time ago; the state of your body is just an afterthought.

I think Lodevar made a critical mistake when he hesitated to answer the question of the freedom of his own men. Instead, he looked to the advisor twins for an opinion. That has got to hurt his credibility with some of the sheepheads who wanted to hear Lodevar speak with conviction of how no man follows him by any choice but their own. That might cause problems for him later.

As for now . . . well, sure the King offers 'freedom', but only in exchange for surrender and obedience, IF it can be trusted. Those men will never be free again in their lives if they return. It might look like that on the surface, but I'll bet you anything that many of them will suffer mysterious dissapearances or other ill fortunes throughout their lives. Kings do not forget or forgive rebellion. And this is all assuming that they aren't outright imprisoned or executed once they have been secured and the rebellion is quelled.

I'm not sure what Lodevar should do. He doesn't want to alienate the sheepheads when they are the foundation of his power outside of the merfolk. Malleus talks of the King granting freedom, but in truth this is something the sheepheads already have through Lodevar, they have won it for themselves if not for their people as a race, whether it is recognized in one country or not.

I guess Lodevar should maybe point that out and affirm that they are free to choose what they want, but he will not be returning. However, he should also point out that they should get legally binding documents, witnessed, backed and if neccessary enforced by the merfolk that they will know true freedom and that their lives will never experience deliberate harassment by royal authority, that only then will they accept the offer, which still in my opinion isn't good enough. So outside of that (or if, as I hope, no one takes the offer), I think he should cut ties with the bullroars altogether. To hell with their false promises and condescending offers. He may even wish to cut ties with the merfolk as well so that whatever displeasure is wrought by his deeds does not get brought down upon them too.

As far as the treatment of sheepheads back in Kria and such, there is no helping that. Not until all slaves have been freed, or rise up against their nation as a whole. In a later time and place, Lodevar may lead such a rebellion. But to keep the loyalty of his men, sometimes a gesture must be made in potential sacrifice of power; people will remember and his name will grow as will his power.

Those are my thoughts.
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject:  

Ok raven who said that i didnt want the merpeople to know about it? are you making things up and saying that i said something i didnt? well dont lie i never said i didnt want the merpeople to know.(as an afterthought-even if there were spies YOU COULD STILL KILL THEM) but voting is over now so im dropping it.

Plz dont misquote me again-Kotor
fallen angel 13

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject:  

im speechless (well, actually, more of i have no idea what to do) maybe u need to call for a recess and then speak w/ the sheepheads privately as well as all the other canidates instead of in front of everyone
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject:  

KnIgHtSrEpUbLic wrote: Ok raven who said that i didnt want the merpeople to know about it? are you making things up and saying that i said something i didnt? well dont lie i never said i didnt want the merpeople to know.(as an afterthought-even if there were spies YOU COULD STILL KILL THEM) but voting is over now so im dropping it.

Plz dont misquote me again-Kotor

Who the hell are you talking about? And what the heck are you talking about??? :?
Reiso

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject:  

Yeah Ravenwing, I was confused about that too. Being the analytical bass that I am, I did some digging. I believe he is referring to this post back from chapter 6 voting (forgive the chopped up look, the thread it was on is locked now and can't be quoted directly):

KnIgHtSrEpUbLic wrote:
ok people i see theres more people lately and time is running out! i have to warn you that if you dont go with my idea (last option) you will all be cursed! you dont want that hanging over your family do you? besides look at the sense of it, you dont have to tell the merpeople what to do-all you have to do is tell the bullroars what to do! tell them to go to a remote island where u can freely,safely and something else negotiate with them with no fear of being hurt because you will have thirty bows with 3' thick arrows notched on them-right in their face! imagine it! you will have no fear at all in their prescence! freedom of anything! well keep it in mind of that curse that will linger over you eventually...

Anyways,thats my two cents worth-peace lol

Where upon you quoted him and then replied:

There's not much sense in doing that. I mean, we could all do that if we're in that same predicament. But I don't think you can have the meeting without the merpeople knowing. They have control of the sea, and they know the island. They may even have spies among the Sheepheads people.

So my guess is that because he wrote 'you don't have to tell the merpeople what to do' and in your reply you pointed out 'But I don't think you can have the meeting without the merpeople knowing.', that he added it up in his head and decided you were implying he didn't want them to know, and for some reason seems to be put out over it. I hope this has helped clear things up a bit, though I am still confused myself. I mean he didn't come right out and say he wanted that, but his scenario allowed for it, so . . . I have no idea. Hope this helped. At all.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks Reiso. :D I actually had no idea that KnIgHtSrEpUbLic would take my comment seriously. But I still don't agree with him, even it does put my family at risk. You have been most kind in doing the research for me.
Reiso

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject:  

No problem :)
Mordok

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject:  

If it were me, I would make a loud proclamation that, no person is a slave to me. Let any sheephead on the island take the offer of the Bullroar king if they wish. I would feel confident in thinking that no one would go back.

Secondly, I would tell the bullroars that they will have your answer in a couple days. I would then go to see the Merking and ask him if he will back you still. Its obvoius even the Emperor is shaken by the merefolks sea trade embargo. He who owns the seas controls the trade, and it seems to have shaken everyone up.

Consult your men, advisers and the seer as to where to go next.

It really seems like they are shaking in their boots at this point. You could even trade. Half the value of each trading ship must be paid to you in sheephead slaves.

Set up a toll booth.
Cry Freedom.
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:  

OK, Anyway, back to topic...

I think we should say that we would communicate their offer to the sheepheads in the town, but delay the meeting to another day. Then give a speech, and all the sheepheads that want to go can go, but you won't give up on your cause.

To the emperor:

We are causing you no harm, for the mermen are not involved as completely as you say in this war, they are only but our long friends, and wish to give only a place to live, they will not interfere in anything else except defending their islands, in which we consequently habitate... We ourselves will not give up on our war for freedom until we attain that objective, and will live in the mermen land, where harmony can reign, and if the mermen will have us in good will, then our people, the sheepheads may long live in peace in these islands, for we long not even to regain our land, just our freedom, JUST OUR FREEDOM!!!!

Ok, maybe I'm getting a little too excited...
fallen angel 13

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject:  

I like what Mordok wrote. That seems like an Oscar winning speech could come from an idea like that!
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject:  

Well, everybody seems to have the same opinion... :?
fallen angel 13

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject:  

well im not very good at strategys so i just go along w/ the idea i like the most so im dont have anything new to throw in the mix
Smee

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject:  

Well I've finally found the time to read through this story and catch up.

First things first - excellent story Keavney :D

Ignoring the votes, and users comments, and just reading it as a story it still blends together brilliantly (with the help of your voters excellent decisions of course :) ) with interesting twists each chapter keeping me reading to the end.

Unfortuately I've now come to the end of the available chapters and have to wait for the next installment like everyone else. But this comes with an upside (maybe a down side for everyone else :wink: ) - I get to vote now!

Before I put down my thoughts on the story I'd like to thank Reiso for trying to make sense of KnIgHtSrEpUbLic's comment. Completely confusing :? , but partially understandable with your quote.

Ok - so I join in at a nightmare situation for our hero.

Once again, I turn to Reiso, as his comments are well thought out and cover everything, so there is no point me rehashing them.

What to do next:

To emmisary: It is a time of confusion and shifting alliances. At this time I can not say whether I am Sheephead, or Merman as I am clearly linked with both. I hope to bring both races together into a great relationship that will benefit all who deal with us. With my marriage to the King of the Sea's daughter showing my commitment to them, and my own heritage, and mission to free all Sheephead, showing my determined commitment to them.

I have to go now. If I have time I will add what to do next to the others, but I think this should handle the emmisaries. :)
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah!! It's perfect!!! Why don't sheephead and mermen become one kingdom if the mermen want to. One race!! And just keep up the rebellion though....
Smee

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject:  

Glad you like it. :)
Random

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject:  

Hi folks,

I am obviously new around here but I have read the story so far and think this is great interaction.

This is simply a question of heart. Where do I belong? Am I Merfolk or Sheephead? The answer is a resounding Yes to both. We are from the seeds of both races, therefore we carry the pride, the blessings, the curses, and the struggle of each one.

For the Emporer to force me to choose between one or the other is wrong. The Merfolk and the Sheephead have worked together to create peace, we are two races, on one land. We do not wish to destroy the beauty each race has created as individuals. But we do not wish to break the bonding and the comraderie the two races have offered. To do so would be an injustice to both.

To my people, I would offer the chance to return now, but know that if they are returned to their slave life, I will not come for them again. If I am to fight for freedom, that freedom must be granted to all. The freedom to choose how their own lives are to be lived. Here we can start anew, growing, learning, and living together. Creating our own laws and our own way of life.

To the Bullheads I say this, free my people. Offer them the same choice as I have offered my people here. They may live here with us and the Merfolk, or they may stay onland. But warn your king, should the sheepheads fall under the thumb of slavery again, our war will be brought to his doorstep. And one Sheephead fighting for his very existence is worth more than ten heavily armed and trained soldiers.

If this is not satisfactory then the war will continue.

To Laredon I would say this, I pity you. You of all people, who grew up a slave and know the harshness of it's life. You have been cursed to live amongst those who will forever despise you because of your choices. There is no where you can go that either the Bullheads or the Sheepheads will know your traitorous heart. For you will be branded by the one thing no one has the power to control. Tales. They will grow, and follow you to every town and dark alley you attempt to hide in. For your blindness to the plight of your own kind, I banish you to a life of shame and ridicule. You and those like you are not welcomed here. You have made a mockery of the my people's very existence.

Sorry this is so long but there was so much to cover, and I got a little caught up in the rping :)
Smee

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject:  

Great response :)

I think you've not only re-written what I thought in a much nicer way, but covered all the areas I didn't have time to write about now.

My only disagreement would be with regards to Laredon. Given the situation about freedom it would be wrong to banish him. After all he is no worse than the Bullheads, and has suffered in his life. We aren't banishing the bullheads, merely allowing them to correct their wrongs and give up their slaves. You should give Laredon the same offer, setting an example that might win many more Sheepheads (Innercity citizens) over to our cause in the future as tales spread of your generous offer.

Hope to see more of your long comments around the boards :)
Key

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: thoughts  

Thanks to everyone for the great posts, and for your compliments on the story. Let me add a few pieces of background info, and some questions to chew on.

Several people have suggested that the sheepheads could live on the islands of the Emerald Sea. However, Freehome, the island you're on now, is fairly small. It's not too crowded yet, with only a little over a thousand sheepheads, but there's no way it could hold the entire sheephead nation. There are a few other islands on the coast of Kria, but they're even smaller and rockier, so they aren't really suitable for the habitation of large numbers of people.

There are islands farther out from Kria which are much larger and more numerous; however, at least some of these are inhabited by the Mistfolk, a mysterious race whom you currently don't have contact with.

Most of the sheephead race lives in the land of Kria, a mountainous country which contains both the mines where you were enslaved and the "Inner Cities" close to the Capital, where Laredon is from. For over a thousand years after the formation of the Wheel, Kria existed as an independent kingdom with its own sheephead king. A few hundred years ago, it was conquered by Minos, a neighboring kingdom, and most of its people enslaved. There are hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of sheephead slaves in Kria, both in the cities and in the mountains.

Hope that helps in considering your options.

Based on the discussion so far, there seems to be general agreement to repeat the Bullroar's offer to your people but to advise them against it; if anyone disagrees with this, please speak up.

Some other relevant questions are:

- To what extent do you emphasize your sheephead vs. merfolk heritage in response to the Twin's question? (One suggestion was to say that you are both).

- Is there anything you want to say different to the Merfolk as a result of this audience? (Do you want to go see the King again to assure you of his support, or try to combine the merfolk and sheepheads into one kingdom as some have suggested?)

- Do you have any counter-offer for the Bullroars or the Emperor? (One suggestion was to make peace if the Emperor would set all the sheepheads free).
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject:  

Wow, now it gets really hard...

I would say, try to contact the mist people and see if they will help you and you might be able to live in their islands, but at least get their help, or try to.

Now, if the mist people have some reason why your people can't live there... The there's only one way!!!!

You must take Cria BACK :!: After a while, you will have enough help and strength to take over a city... Then you can use the city as a base and expand down south... But always have the boats behind you, in case of an emergency and you need to run away..

Or you could destruoy one of their necessary resources and weaken them first, or something...
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject:  

oh i guess i see your point,raven. i guess u didnt say, "But I dont think we can have the meeting without the merpeople knowing." yes,raven you are so very very right. hmm maybe you should pay attention to what you wrote and what other people write and maybe absorb it a litte? just a suggestion-oh and this is a no cussing site by the way.

please pay attention and dont cuss-kotor
Key

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject:  

KnIgHtSrEpUbLic wrote: oh i guess i see your point,raven. i guess u didnt say, "But I dont think we can have the meeting without the merpeople knowing." yes,raven you are so very very right. hmm maybe you should pay attention to what you wrote and what other people write and maybe absorb it a litte? just a suggestion-oh and this is a no cussing site by the way.

Take it easy, Kotor. I'm sure that Ravenwing didn't mean to say anything to upset you.

As a general comment, there will no doubt be disagreements and misunderstandings on this site, as everywhere in life. But let's all remember to be respectful of others in our postings. We're all here to have a good time.

:D
Reiso

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject:  

Hmmm . . . declaring himself of both people is maybe even encumbent upon him at this time, but merging the people into one and of one land is dangerously bold. Sometimes that is needed, but one has but to look at the Easter Islands to see the consequences of a society whose population will undoubtedly exceed their resources. They had peace for something like a thousand years until they ran out of trees and food sources; then came war and even cannibalism, formerly as taboo as it is here in the States.

If they merge peoples they will need new land. Perhaps the Mist People can be of assistance in this, so maybe send an envoy to begin relations and negotiate? But then the merfolk (or MerRoars for that matter), would have to be able to bring something to the table for the Mist People.

I can't wait to see what the voting options are for this one.
Random

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject:  

The purpose is not war, it is too seek peace and freedom for all Sheepheads. For that we should keep the goal in sight. But freedom, at this point in time is unconditional. Sheepheads should be free to live where they want, and make their own decisions. If a Sheephead bends knee to the King of the Bullroars then so be it, that is his choice. But to tell us we can have freedom as long as we all bend to the power of the Bullroar throne is a hypocrisy. There is zero guarentee in that offer that the bullroars will uphold our own freedoms.

I think it is important to emphasize I am of both races but I do not speak for the Merfolk. They have been granted their freedoms and I will not presume to know their plans. Nor would I be foolish enough to speak in the place of their own King who has taken us into his domain and treated us with respect and kindness.

My counter offer would be to the Bullroars and the Emperor. Recognize us as our own people. Allow us some land in order to build our own cities, make our own alliances, but most importantly live without shackles. We could even offer to purchase the land in trade for our work. But at this moment in time that option feels a bit too much like the life we just left. I'm only trying to figure out the land option.

It might be worth talking with the King of the Merfolk and see exactly how far his domain is, and what of that could we use. I feel it is important that we continue to work with the merfolk. Although there are a couple I do not trust, we have to show them all by example that we practice what we preach. We lose nothing by asking.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: Wow, now it gets really hard...

I would say, try to contact the mist people and see if they will help you and you might be able to live in their islands, but at least get their help, or try to.

Now, if the mist people have some reason why your people can't live there... The there's only one way!!!!

You must take Cria BACK :!: After a while, you will have enough help and strength to take over a city... Then you can use the city as a base and expand down south... But always have the boats behind you, in case of an emergency and you need to run away..

Or you could destruoy one of their necessary resources and weaken them first, or something...

OK,Who agree's with at least one of my plans... I like the conquering one...
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject:  

That...was...me...
help

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject:  

smee and d-lotus have some good points. let them go, IF they want to. just no long, drawn out speeches, if posible. great story, keep up the good work. :D :) 8) :wink:
fallen angel 13

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject:  

well, i didn't say it had to be a long speech but this is just a very good, dramatic set-up where something like that could happen. but yeah, long speeches do get tiring to read but if they're good enough, you can't stop reading them! :wink:
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject:  

KnIgHtSrEpUbLic wrote: oh i guess i see your point,raven. i guess u didnt say, "But I dont think we can have the meeting without the merpeople knowing." yes,raven you are so very very right. hmm maybe you should pay attention to what you wrote and what other people write and maybe absorb it a litte? just a suggestion-oh and this is a no cussing site by the way.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. And I don't usually cuss, only I was just really annoyed. Thats all.
Key

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Voting options  

Reiso wrote: I can't wait to see what the voting options are for this one.

I'm having trouble coming up with them - there's too much agreement!

KnIgHtSrEpUbLic

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject:  

k im sry too-had a bad day lol. sry, im proud.
Reiso

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Voting options  

keavney wrote: Reiso wrote: I can't wait to see what the voting options are for this one.

Now that is a problem I never would have expected to see, especially in a message board.
Smee

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject:  

I think he should kill the bullheads, and then kill the emmisaries - sending their heads to the emperor, and their hands to the bullhead king. :wink:
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Voting options  

Reiso wrote: keavney wrote: Reiso wrote: I can't wait to see what the voting options are for this one.

Now that is a problem I never would have expected to see, especially in a message board. lol true point :lol:
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: I think he should kill the bullheads, and then kill the emmisaries - sending their heads to the emperor, and their hands to the bullhead king. :wink:

Quite violent are we, Smee? Can you explain your reasoning for such a radical action? I don't think I quite follow.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah! Let's kill them all! Who do they think they are?? Lodevar has to give a good image to his poeple- He can't allow this...Take them on, and then GET CRIA BACK! IT'S OURS, NOT THEIRS, I'M TIRED OF THIS INACTIVITY AND PRECAUTION , THIS IS WAR, NOT SISSY TALK...!!!! -Keavney, here's your other option!!
Reiso

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject:  

I agree completely with Smee.

Oh wait!

I mean I don't . . . agree with him . . . yeah.

(Ravenwing, check keavney's complaint at the bottom of page 1 and you will be in on it.)

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2