Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 6: Beasts of Evil
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Beyond the Horn - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phang

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Chapter 6: Beasts of Evil  

Winger hid, and feared. Sprinting and flapping from crag to crag, edging over the cracks leading to that place of darkness where the source of her misery had come from. She sheltered behind huge grey spears of rock, jutting up from the barren ground, the screams and roars of the Master's insanity infecting the Factory echoing over her head in the howling wind. This place she had once seen as her home, as the only place that mattered, the only safe place - now she saw it as a nightmarish, unsafe world to hide from, to seek better places to shelter from, places far away.

She shuddered behind a huge shard of stone as she heard the effects of the Master spreading his mind into everyone else's, like some strange, infectious virus of thought. The Master - or Rabarra, as she knew he was now called - had learnt many skills of destruction in his quest to rule, and this seemed to be just another one of them to him. But it motivated Winger to move on and make herself hidden as quickly as possible - she was important to the Master, she knew that now, and that train of thought deep within his mind could send her own parents and friends hunting relentlessly for her. She slipped around the grey and barren landscape, heading for the forests, where she could hide, and perhaps find others, find what lay behind this strange nightmare-world of beasts, fighting for power with the thoughts of others...

*~*~*

Yes, my child...you draw nearer to me...

*~*~*

The wind howled and whistled over the rocky horizon, Scarva Hawks screeched in fury as they swooped down to pick at the bodies of the collapsed, finishing them while they couldn't fight back and taking them away to the clouds. The survivors didn't care, they ranted things they didn't know, dived into the Down Below, and clawed at each other. In the middle of it all stood the dead bodies of the two Silambra, Rabarra unrecognisable now his veil of vision-warping and improvements to his own body had been stripped away. They just lay next to each other, two shrivelled, lost corpses without their minds and the powers they brought to them. Taking one last look back at this nightmare, Winger stepped into the forest and almost immediately it enveloped her - she was no longer one of the tortured band of humans of the Factory. She was the creature she had once been, and she was off to find her real, free family.

*~*^*~*

It was cold and wet, and Winger was starting to give in. There was silence in the forest, yet also the whole place was full of noise. But this was just a background to Winger, so determined was she. But now her determination slipped, deafening roaring filled her ears, icy liquid soaked and pierced her skin, and thick, churned mud clung to her feet. She slowed. Peering up to the branches, she saw fewer beams of light slipping through to the ground - it was getting dark. The noise seemed to pulse and change as the calmer animals were replaced by viscious stalkers and hunters of the night, and the air grew colder. But Winger felt confused, not only was her heart divided between animal and human, but her animal side was split too - she needed to shelter, yet something felt even more alive. Was she one of these beasts of darkness too, feared by the Factory the greatest? But how could she survive when her true ancestors would merely see a warped, abandoned human and kill her?

Yet more beams of light faded and the forest was almost nearly plunged into complete pitch black. Winger needed to hurry before some other creature decided her fate - for the worse.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject:  

She should shelter for now, rather than risk being viewed as "a warped, abandoned human" and possibly killed. With the influence of the Master fading, she should be able to recover those pieces of self that she lost.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject:  

I agree with Fauna on this one. If you seek shelter and try to stay out of the Master's way for the time being, (and the way of any creatures that may be a danger to you) then you might find yourself in more of a position to fight back later. :cool:
Phang

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:  

It's been a week and somehow I don't think there's any need for a poll. :(
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:  

Give it a bit longer, and see if you get any more responses.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject:  

Try posting an advert in shameless advertising. That's what it's there for

A few people have complained about the skiffy section being neglected recently. Maybe you should put something big and signposty in your .sig?
Phang

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:  

Hmmm...indeed.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject:  

A rescue! (Which co-incidentally is the title of my Linear story in Linear comp for December - go vote for it now!)

Anyway, f5 key time. I agree with the ladies above. A bit of rest would be good. No point slogging on until one is worn down.

Btw: Quote: churned mud clinged to her feet.

Maybe should be "clung" ? Clinged seems wrong to me.

Pecker up Phang old girl! Keep writing! :D
Phang

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject:  

chinaren wrote: Btw: Quote: churned mud clinged to her feet.

Maybe should be "clung" ? Clinged seems wrong to me.

Pecker up Phang old girl! Keep writing! :D

Indeed it should.

And I shall.

And it should be young girl, really, but I feel I am neither.
Night Walker

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:  

Agreeing with everybody else,no sense to get killed for nothing.
Phang

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:  

Well there's still no need for a poll, but that's because everyone agrees.

Don't agree? Well too late, I'm writing it, next time post so I know you've actually read it arse fez!

Storygames Home -> Beyond the Horn - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1