Lunatic Snow
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Storygames Home -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Lunatic Snow  

Lunatic Snow

Her first sight in the world was that of blood, staining the snow around her, staining her. The first sounds she was aware of were the harsh cries of carrion crows, arguing over the flesh of her dead father. She whimpered, in the soft, lost way of all newborns, and crawled to where her mother lay, laboring to bring her siblings into the world. The she-wolf licked her pup halfheartedly and made sure that the pup began to suckle.

Slowly her brother and sister were ushered into the world, a world that became cold all too soon as their mother breathed her last when the first snowflakes fell. Yet, in that instant before death, the cunning she-wolf passed on the knowledge of generations to her eldest daughter, just as her mother had passed it on to her. The pup knew that they were truly alone now until the help her mother had waited on arrived.

It was dark by the time they came and the little pups were close to perishing as the soft, cold snow piled around them. Both were bitterly hungery, having had no chance to eat before their mother passed on. The eldest pup had done the best she could but when all was said and done she was only a pup herself. A pup with aincent eyes.

Now she woke as the eyes that shone like flames in the darkness came ever closer to where she lay. Through the driving snow others of her kind materialized from the icey shadows. Slowly one came and took her sister, then another came and took her brother. But when the third came for her he pulled away with his ears flat to his head and lips pulled back in a feral smile.

The big she-wolf then came forward and snarled at him in words she didn't know that the pup understood. "She is only a child. How can you see her as a threat Merrick?" Yet the wolf would come no closer and only snarled back.

"Look at her Therese, and tell me she is no threat. Get a good look at the child your sister has borne us!" Slowly the big she-wolf turned to stare at her older sister's eldest child. What she saw, sitting calmly in the snow, looked like it belonged there.

The pup had white fur, so pure and sparkling in hue that the snow seemed dirty by comparison, and its eyes...oh its eyes. They were huge and the deepest shade of indigo blue, melding seamlessly into midnight violet. They were the haunting eyes of something far older than this hours old pup, something that had seen centuries in seconds and watched mountains grind themselves to dust.

She two pinned her ears back as a shudder ran down her spine. The prophecy was true, the legend was here. Worse, it was a pup she had sworn to protect. She could not revoke her word, not when it had been given to dying kin. Instead she marshalled her courage and nuzzled the snow out of the pup's fur.

But the pup was no fool, she heard the words hissed between her guardians teeth as they lifted her by the scruff of her neck. But it was the last word that caught her attention for it was by that word she would forever be known. Sirriath, wolf for End-Bringer.

Sirriath hung in silence as her guardian carried her through the chilling night. Soon the pace was picked up and the small group began to become edgy. Something was wrong. The smells were confusing, even with her anicent knowledge everything was still so new. But she wasn't confused enough to not notice that they were traveling through the territory of another pack.

Suddenly Sirriath knew what had killed the father she never knew, what had driven her mother to her death. The other pack must have been the ones responsible and their small group was having to double time it in order not to get caught. Suddenly Sirriath felt a tingling in her body. Her mind jumped into high gear. She knew they were in danger but, as she was only hours old she could not speak, how would she let her guardian know in time to warn the others?

A strange feeling welled up inside her, a feeling born of the aincent knowledge locked deep within her. Outwardly she did nothing more than close her eyes, inwardly she threw her head back and sent out a howl that echoed through the spirit world. She felt the answers echo back to her, some from a past so distant they would be no help at all, but some echoed from only a few paces away.

The four living wolves could only surmise what had happened. One moment they were ferrying three pups through dangerous territory by themselves, the next...terror gripped them firmly in it's talons as the spirits of the dead joined them. One by one they formed from the windbourn snow till a pack fifty strong and growing surrounded them.

The spirits themselevs weren't what scared Therese though, it was that Sirriath's parents were leading the charge. As these two grim specters drifted closer Therese saw the dissapproval in their eyes, they knew how their first born was being treated and were not pleased. Therese felt a cold that had nothing to do with the snow as her dead sister's shade drew abrest of her.

"Give me my daughter." The shades voice echoed in her head. Knowing full well that this could well be some kind of trick Therese hesitated. Spirits had been known to return and steal pack members into the afterlife with them. Yet Sirriath was no normal pup. If she had presumably summoned these wraiths then it was safe to assume she could control them...or was it?
Smee

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject:  

Oooh - I like this one. :D

Welcome to the city Kalanna :)

This is a perfectly established first chapter, so I see no problem in this one being moved from Ideas to one of the New Storygame forums.

Are you aiming for Fantasy, Sci-fi/Horror, or Humour/Experiemental?

PM the mod of this forum and he'll move it for you.

As for the pup giving a warning - can't it do what all new borns do and cry? Although immediately on typing that I realise not a good thing to do in enemy territory.

I think the pack must be well aware it's in danger, and I don't think the Sirriath should do anything to distract them from their swift escape.

I look forward to the next chapter.

Happy Writing :)
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject:  

Welcome to IF Kalanaiania*! Nice start. :D

I echo Smee's comments.

*I tend to get carried away with names, sorry.
Smee

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject:  

Quote: I echo Smee's comments

:lol: Even my dumb one?
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject:  

I love the first chapter, Kalanna :)

Unfortunately, I can't think of any suggestion to better Smee's. Anything the young wolf can do to attract attention from its foster-pack is also going to attract the attention of the enemies, as far as I can see.

Do nothing and hope that they can run swiftly enough to get out of the danger zone before they get hurt.

*sits and waits for the next chapter...*
Muaddib

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:  

Excellent! And your name is Star Warsey too!

Shall I move it for you? Where to?
Smee

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject:  

Ok - it looks like it's been moved for you. :D

Now you can set it out like a normal Storygame.

Each subsequent addition to the story needs to be in a sperate post after all the comments on the previous chapter.

If/When you win Storygame of the Month you can then seperate out all the chapters into individual threads, or put them all in one big thread - it'll be up to you.

You add a poll by editting the first post - if you want a second poll (i.e. after chapter 2) then you need to PM the mod to delete the old one first.

Any questions just ask.

Happy Writing :)

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Check it out.  

Thanks smee and I finally got the poll up and running too.

Might sick to Linear for a while though.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:  

That was from me guys, I forgot to log in. But I guess you figured that out.
Crymzon

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:  

Ooh yes I like this one. Nice to see something a we bit different (as in different from humans doing things I mean.)

Tough decision too, sayin that I think the she should be given up to her mother, no so much as to control the spirit rather that her mother probably wants to tell her something.

Just a thought. :D

Keep going this really is good.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks folks but Crymzon you might get dissappointed a little later on...things tend to happen around Sirriath.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Still tied.  

The Poll will go for one more day. If it's still tied I will make a judgement call then.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Chapter Two: The Rom Seeress  

Give Sirriath up and keep Sirriath were both tied at two votes each so I have cast the tiebreaker. Read on.
-----------

Chapter Two: The Rom Seeress.

With a disgusted motion Therese handed Sirriath over to her mother. "Take her Sabrina! Take your Gods dammed pup and I wash my paws of her!!" She almost regretted her words when mother and pup vanished like so much falling snow. Where ever it was they were going at least Sirriath was no longer her problem.

Then she noticed that the pack of spirit wolves that was their only protection was slowly shrinking as they vanished in ones and twos, not to be replaced by fresh recruits. Therese was never so happy to see her home territory as she was when her small rescue force passed a pair of burly guards that marked the border crossing between her packs' territory and that of their enemy to the south.

Yet her small band didn't stop or slack their speed, instead they ran on into the night on bloody paws. Soon the lights of a trappers cabin loomed large in their eyes. Unlike normal wolves, which would have avoided it entierly, they rushed onto the doorstep all scratching and whining at the door.

Slowly a bent old woman with iron grey and white hair opened the door. In rushed the five wolves, the males staying only long enough to drop their burdens, the pair of females left to take care of the pups. Slowly the old woman, her features distorted by sagging skin and the deep wrinkles that carved valleys into her face, shut the door tightly and dismissed the young female and two silver pups to an upstairs room.

Then, with mutch muttering and popping of joints, she settled herself into a chair by the fire...the only chair. Therese took up her usual spot on the well worn rug next to it. Finally the woman spoke. "So you rid yourself of the white one...Sirriath?"

"Of course. The little wretch summoned her mother's shade, who am I to stand between mother and daughter?" The old woman merely nodded, her hands rubbing and rerubbing themselves as if to chase off the chill of old age.

"The other two, you have not named them?" Therese didn't bother to reply, the woman already knew her answer. "The male shall be called Varbodane, the female Alkesta." The answers, though shocking, were matter of fact. There was no arguing with the old woman.

"So my sister has bourn us End-Bringer, War-Monger, and World-Shaker. Three of the final Seven. I would curse her but I am disinclined to speek ill of those I have so recently seen in spirit-flesh." The old woman reached into a pocket in her voluminous, orange skirt and pulled out a pipe. From another pocket a match to light it. "Must you?"

The old woman didn't spare Therese a second glance. "If my tobbacco bothers you so much change forms. You can't smell nearly as well as a human." A low growl escaped Therese's throat.

"You know I am one of the Cursed. I am directly decended from one of the five wolves that slew the moon goddess. As such I am unable to shift my form save at the time of the full moon." The old woman cackled.

"Never stopped your sister. Ever fluid was her form? Why Therese? She was your elder of the same litter, from a mother just as bound as you, so why was she exempted your fate?" The massive she-wolf stood, ears back, eyes savage.

"Because she was a freak!" The old woman smacked the wolf across the nose with her pipe.

"No fool! Because she gained the moons favor! She apologized and nearly killed herself doing so! You remain proud, unrepentant, and so you remain bound. Bound to walk as wolf under the moon forever, as beast under the sun! Or you may sacrifice all you're powers and become a weak human for the month, blind by night, sightless by day! A fools pact you keep!"

"Then it's a fools pact that the pups shall keep as well! They bear the Curse as well, on both their parents sides! There is no way for them to recant their sins, they have not two lives to give!" The old woman relit he pipe and gave it a few soothing puffs.

"They are of the Seven. Do you really think that a Curse can stop them? And now let me show you something..." The old woman stood and drew up a pouch from her side. She took a pinch of dust from within the bag and tossed it into the flames.

Instantly they became as clear as a window showing a vision of a beautiful young woman with a wild and feral air around her. Her skin was milk pale, her hair long, wild, and white as snow, her figure curvy, athletic, and strong, like the anicent people of Loki. But it was her eyes that drew Therese. They were huge and mezmerising, with inky black pupiles, delicate gold flecks, and a deep indigo iris. They were Sirriath's eyes.

"Sirriath. The name has two meanings. One retold with every telling of the Prophecy, End-Bringer. The other dates to the dawn of your kind. So old I had to learn it when I was but young in the world. Sirriath, The Healer. Healer of what is something it would be wise to find out Therese." The window faded and with it the old woman as well.

"Wait, Atropos, don't go! When will this vision come true!" The old Rom woman only smiled.

"You have but twenty-five years to wait. Then Sirriath shall surface again."

As Therese turned round and round with worry in her mind she could only think who would Sirriath appear to? One of the pack or another child of Loki? Worse would she appear to none of the people at all but..." Therese shook like she had been frozen in ice. "What if Sirriath appeared to a human?"

For a moment Therese wondered if she should call the council and tell them that Sirriath had been born...but would she tell them that she had Sirriath, let them think she had the End-Bringer safely under wraps, or tell them the truth. Maybe she wouldn't summon the council at all...it was a tough call.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:  

Hurrah! Nice chapter, but don't forget a D-point!
Muaddib

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:  

Are yo a Rom?Or a gadja?
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:  

No but I have great respect for the Rom. Secondly chen, the D-point is there now...just like your non-existant path of fire.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:  

Ah, cool. And...

Quote: ...just like your non-existant path of fire.

Ah, but now I have thought of...er, I mean, I had planned it like that from the start. You shall see. Ahem. ;)
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject:  

Poll needs to be deleated again...who can tell me how to do it?
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject:  

Ask the moderator of the fantasy forum to delete it for you. PM Smee, it's his job in fantasy to delete the authors' polls. :)

EDIT: Oops, sorry, misread the section. Yeah, Lordy's right :)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject:  

PM one of the moderators - either Shanty or Tramp in a Storm
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject:  

tnx much both.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject:  

Okay polls up...cast your vote...
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:  

voted and winning
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject:  

Winning again?
Smee

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject:  

Sorry - I didn't have chance to comment earlier.

I've voted for spill the beans - although I must admit that's mainly because I'm a little confused as to what's going on and an excuse to lay it all out should make it much clearer to me.

I'm still enjoying though - I expect to be confused with stories that are set to become very interesting as we learn more.

Happy Writing. :)
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject:  

Sorry about the confusiness Smee...all will become clear shortly...
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject:  

Voted, but no 'e' on council.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject:  

tnx, that's the sleep depravation spelling...
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject:  

oh, i assumed that was deliberate - to signify it was a title or something
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject:  

Sounds good to me too but then everything sounds good right now...ummm flying monkey crunchies *munch munch*
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:  

Ah wonderful chapter, Rai. An interesting tale you have started. I only wish I had began reading this earlier, so I didn't have to miss the discussion and poll.

I would recomend reading over your chapters before posting or typing and then copy and past from a word processor into the box. Either way read over your chapters. I think I saw some confusing sentences in both your chapters. Any word processor can catch those with spell check. But of course the best solution is just checking the chapter for errors yourself.

Other than that, writer the next chapter. You leave us in the loop. *Grins*
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Chapter Three: Secrets and Prophecy  

Okay here you peoples go...
--------
Chapter Three: Secrets and Prophecy

She knew she couldn't keep something this big a secret and if the Council wanted her hide...they could have it at this point. For a few moments she paced back and forth...wondering how she would broach the subject...finally she gave up.

With no way to open the door and enter the woods outside she was forced to use the fire as her gateway...not something she relished. Fire was the least stable of the elements, the most prone to leave you stranded half way between here and there.

Slowly she summoned the Howl of Ages, using the vibrations of her voice to shake the foundations of the spirit world closer to the world of the living. Slowly the fire, where Atropos has so recently practiced her own magic, swirled until a hole in space and time opened...a rift in the fabric of the world.

With a tremor running through her body, Therese stepped through, one paw at a time. She was lucky, the portal held until all but her tail-tip was through. She gave a sharp yelp as it was severed from the rest of her by the gate's collapse.

"Therese!" A booming voice from the darkened woods before her echoed in the still night. "What brings you here Cursed one?"

Ignoring the stinging pain in her tail she padded forward into the sacred grove where the Council of Five sat. Here the other were's sat in judgment over the gravest matters...and the sudden apperence of Sirriath was the gravest matter to any of them.

"Majesties I bring news of the most damning kind. This very day Sirriath was born unto a wolf of my pack...my own sister." The ears on each Council members head flattened and their lips peeled back to reveal their long fangs.

"Go on." A large black wolf who's ruff was only just beginning to silver locked eyes with her.

"My sister had an affair with a male from our brother pack even though it was forbidden. We had all known she was carrying pups and were well prepared to deal with this ocurrance...until she vanished. Three days ago she and her mate vanished from all the territories of the Cursed packs, fleeing over enemy territory."

The other's were leaning forward now, nearly hanging off her every word. She steadied herself then continued. "They didn't get far in that time, they ran into a patrol from this pack, our Guardians, and were forced to fight. Her mate was gravely injured and her labor pains were brought prematurely. They made it a few more miles before he died. Unwilling to continue she stopped and gave birth to three pups."

"Three?" The Council whispered amongst themselves worriedly. "What of the other two?"

"I will get to that in good time sir, may I continue?" The black wolf only snarled at her but the others urged her on. "We found all three of them only hours after their birth and already Sirriath's powers had awakened. She understood everything, even if she could not speak, and when we later were forced to recross enemy territory she summoned the spirits of the dead to guard us until we reached our territory again."

"And where is the pup? Why have you not brought her to us? Or why have you not brough proof she has been dealt with?"

Therese back up a step, out of bite rang, and cleared her throat. "I'll apologize in advance for this but I gave her to her mother." The Council hit the roof, for a few moments there was no reasoning with them, only hiding under shrubs where they could not reach her. When they finally settled down she still did not come out from under her bush.

"The pup had summoned her parents shades, I didn't know what else to do when the shade of her mother asked for her. At the time I was glad to be rid of her and I thought that the spirits would treat her as they have other pups in the past, take them for revenge on the living."

She came a little closer to the edge of the bush. "When I returned to my lair Atropos was waiting for me." Again the uproar that made her hide back under the shrub. "She told me that Sirriath would return in twenty-five years and that her siblings were to be called Varbodane and Alkesta..." Therese got no farther. The Council tore up the shrub and soon afterward Therese was no more than a few blood spatters and lumps of fur.

"We must keep this a secret. Quinn!" A sandy colored wolf pricked his ears forward. "Bring me the pups. We shall train them to defend us against the coming of Sirriath."

"No offense sir but what good will that do? What can World-Shaker and War-Monger do against End-Bringer?" The black wolf looked at him.

"Maybe nothing maybe everything..."
-------------

Twenty-Five years later....

The bar was bustling with activity as the bikers, thirsty from a long day on the road, ordered pitcher after pitcher of tall cold ones. Bar-maids danced through the crowd in short shorts or mini mini skirts, full platters of alcohol balanced above their heads. On tiny stages, a few of the best built girls danced in skimpy outfits, not to strip, just to tease.

The girl leaned against the door, the weight of the knife a reassuring thing...still did she go in? She could just walk away right now and forget the whole thing...
Shady Stoat

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject:  

Good chapter. Poor wolf - that's what you get for telling the truth :shock: ;)

I'm a bit confused by the last part though. Could you expand it just a little, so we've more information to go on? We don't know anything about the girl or her reasons for going into the bar or staying outside. It seems like kinduv a blind decision point.

Unless you can tell us more as the Author, than you can in the text of the story? I'd settle for that :D

I'm enjoying this one too. You write well!
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject:  

I totally f5 Stoat, and just want to add.. More of the best built girls! Yeah! :D
Ravenwing

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:  

Strange indeed. The girl is probably Sirriath reincarnated as a human. And as a human she is contemplating killing someone in the bar. This only speculation. But like Stoat has requested, could we have some details about that last bit you typed up?

I only a little bit sorry for Therese, but she sort of deserved it in the way she behaved to the council, and her story telling was a bit slow. Why couldn't she just of said, Sirriath will be reincaranted. I have her siblings, but End-Bringer I returned to her mother. Dealing with a pup's parents is not something I wanted to deal with.

Good writing, Rai. This is coming out to be an interesting tale.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:  

As the author I can tell you it's not Sirriath with knife in hand...

P.S. Sirriath never died!!! It just seems that way...
Ravenwing

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:  

Okay, if it is not Sirriath with the knife at the bar. Is she perhaps within the bar, and going to be a witness to something murderous in mind? She could be the vicitim that is precurioulsy injured. You leave us in the dark. The only logical thing to do seems to be to enter the bar. There seems to be no other choices.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:  

If the old poll could be deleted then???
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:  

You have to PM Shanty or Tramp in a Storm to get the old poll terminated.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject:  

Done that already...it's just my style to ask in a post...sorry if it's annoying but I don't like to go buggin people privately Chen...that's not my style get it?

Storygames Home -> The Archives Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5