Free online storygaming

Chapter 7 Vote
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Chapter 7 Vote  

Chapter 7 voting is up!

The choices above have been created from suggestions to the previous chapter (click the previous chapter link to read the chapter and comments).

This poll will be up for 1-2 weeks. At the end of that time, the choice that has the most votes will become the basis for chapter 8.

Anyone is welcome to vote, although you must be registered and logged in. You can only vote on each poll once. Feel free to discuss the choices or try to sway people to vote one way or the other.
Reiso

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject:  

Freedom without compromise!
DarkGryphon

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject:  

Ya... I think its kinda unanimous... We won't stoop to the bullroar level but we will be free...

I have a dream, a dream where it doesn't matter what horns you have on your head, whether they be longhorn or spirally, or even no horns...

:D
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject:  

freedom without compromise! lol j/k
am i going to start a new trend...?
Conor-Maccloed

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject:  

So far I agree with what is going on, but the vote didn't cover the very important topic of where we belong. Do we side as a Sheephead or a Merfolk??? This question still needs to be answered, though it looked like most agreed on both.
Reiso

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject:  

Conor-Maccloed

I agree that a definitive line needs to be drawn as to where Lodevar and his people stand with the Merfolk, regardless of how far on one side of that line or another they arrive at. While this is very important to the decision at hand, it is also important however (in my opinion), that we not let it cloud that decision by confusing one for the other. Not that I am saying you did (because you didn't), but maybe our Author will help further develop the story in the coming chaper to help crystalize that decision for the next vote.
Ambrosia

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject:  

the mans half and half, his allegience should be equal to both
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject:  

Ambrosia wrote: the mans half and half, his allegience should be equal to both

It's not possible if each side takes a different stance on a problem. And presently, there is the beginning of conflict. Technically, this is not the Merpeople's war. This is between the Sheepheads and the Bullroars, and the merpeople have only taken part because Lodevar just happens to be the Merking's long lost son.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject:  

Reiso wrote: Freedom without compromise!

Like that quote, Reiso. It works very well. :D
Key

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Sheephead vs. Merfolk  

Conor-Maccloed wrote: So far I agree with what is going on, but the vote didn't cover the very important topic of where we belong. Do we side as a Sheephead or a Merfolk??? This question still needs to be answered, though it looked like most agreed on both.

Good point. In terms of how you address the question that the Emperor's agent put to you, it seemed that there was general agreement to tell him that you were both, so I'm planning to write the next chapter that way.

In terms of this theme coming up again later (e.g. if there are conflicts between the merfolk and sheephead interests), that's something that may come up in future chapters, and if it does, I'll make sure I open it to further discussion and voting.
Mordok

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject:  

It could be that the agent is just trying to drive a wedge in between the factions. I don't remember the issue of Lodevars loyalty to either side coming up before. Now that his race has been questioned aloud, he will have to walk softly. If he tells the sheepheads that they are free to take the bullroars offer, it could look like he is turning his back on them in favor of the Mer-folk. His putting off the wedding could look like he is choosing sheepheads over merfolk. I would still like to learn more about the Mer-King and his loyalties but I am sure we will get to that.
Reiso

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject:  

Good points Mordok, those kind of inferences were something that I hadn't taken into account, but people can spin almost anything. He must use great caution in this . . . it will either make or break him.

<thinks hard>

Hmmmm . . . .

<produces smoke from ears>

ummmm . . . I thi - Freedom without compromise!

(can't help it)
Mordok

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject:  

Ten votes to kill them? Eight to refuse the offer and only 7 people posting reasons. Who are all these voters? We did give our word for safe passage people. :roll:

Ok, I thought about this and had to come back for a rant edit. Anyone who has read my story knows I like violence as much as the next guy. I am not trying to be negative here but, killing the emissaries is just too far out of character and too much of a plot twist. It just wouldn't make sense for Lodevar to suddenly be a lying murderer.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah, I mean, the joke went too far... :( Is keavney gonna have to write about Lodevar killing those guys??? I mean, the votes decide, right?? :?:
Key

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Voting fraud  

I removed 8 votes from the last option because someone created 8 new accounts and voted them all on the last option.

To the person who did this: Each person gets one vote. Do not try to cheat. I will catch you and I will ban you from the forum if you do this again.

To everyone else: I'm sorry that this happened. The vast majority of people here want to play honestly, and I appreciate that. If I believe that a vote is legitimate, I'll be bound by it, even if the more vocal and/or more persuasive arguments are on the other side. But if I've got reason to think that there's something wrong with the process, I'll adjust it accordingly.
Smee

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject:  

Well said Keavney.
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah, I guess that's fair, keavney, but what if out of those acounts that people made, one person really was serious and really wanted to vote, and then got his vote erased... it sucks that that person has to pay for others...
Key

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: Yeah, I guess that's fair, keavney, but what if out of those acounts that people made, one person really was serious and really wanted to vote, and then got his vote erased... it sucks that that person has to pay for others...

I don't want to go into detail about what I can tell from the database and server logs, but I'm certain that all the votes I took off were fake. If anyone is concerned about this or thinks that their vote might not have been counted, please let me know. I think it's important that the voting process is fair and accurate, and I'm doing my best to make sure of that.
Random

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject:  

I voted to use the whip cream and chains... oops... wrong poll...

What is currently on the table is not good enough. We started out seeking freedom for all. We either live up to those words or we go back to the way things were.

Our biggest concern should be land. I honestly don't think at this point my heritage should be any of their business. Simply tell them I am of the merfolk but do not speak for the merfolk. If that isn't good enough for them, they can get back on their boats and go home. Why should I give them any information about me that could possibly be used against me?

I would have someone keep an eye on the king though, as much as that is possible. The Bullroars could send someone to talk the king out of his current position.

So at this point in time, I would send the bullroars away with a firm No thank you, and see if we could deal with the Emporer directly. Possibly bargain off some land.
Conor-Maccloed

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject:  

Random, I agree that freedom for all is one of the most important parts of this rebellion, but if there is any hope of getting the Emperor involved, or keeping the Merfolk as allies then heritage will also remain extremely important.

Chapter 7
Yogos stretched around just enough for Yogara to interject, "As I mentioned, we are here in a completely unofficial capacity," and then Yogos continued, "however, if the Emperor were to become involved, certainly the first thing that he would want to know is: who is he dealing with? What are you, and where does your loyalty lie? Do you consider yourself merman, or sheephead?"

The real question that we need to decide on is wether or not we want the Emperor involved. He agreed to the invasion of our land and the enslavement of our people, but he could also revoke such sanctions as he has granted the Bullroars already.

One of the best options i feel, is to get the Emperor to side with us as sheepheads so we can take our own lands back. Free all of Kria and find a peace with the Bullroars. Of course we would still have a war in taking our lands back, but it would be easier if the Emperor recognizes us as a nation and not a group of rebels.

As for the Merfolk, I can't deny that Merfolk bloob runs in my veins and that I am to be wed to a Merfolk princess so I must look at all problems from the perspective of both of my respective peoples, and do what is best for both. If the king stays good to his word, and I really haven't seen a reason for him not to, then peace with them is almost asured.
Mordok

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject:  

I have already stated my thoughts about the story so I won't bore you with them again. I just wanted to say that I am glad that the voting process is once again in check. I would have been mad if I had read this whole story (and helped shape it, I hope) just to have it get hijacked from us.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject:  

I vote for negotiation. Of course the long-term goal is the freedom of all the slaves, but it's possible that the best way to it is not uncompromising war. Land to build a society of free sheepheads is a pressing need, as the island is small and cannot hold many more than are already on it. If they could gain some recognition of their right to their ancestral lands in Kria, that would be a start. They might even be able to provide for themselves to some extent, rather than relying totally on the merpeople.

On another topic, I wonder if Lodevar really is the son of the merking. I think the emperor wonders that too. In the other parts of the Wheel, when people of Lodevar's form turned up, they were regarded as children of a god, and caused the emperor a lot of anxiety, to the point of trying to get rid of them. Maybe the reports of Lodevar's form are what caused the emperor's interest in this whole thing. Whether that's good or bad for the sheepheads is a question.
Mother Goose

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject:  

That was me, Mother Goose. I was logged in; why does it say guest?
Ravenwing

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject:  

Mother Goose, you bring up a good point about Lodevar's paternity. The question is now, did the Emperor send his emissaries to look at Lodevar. Anyways is the Emperor only interfering for his own reasons or to end the conflict between the Bullroars and Sheepheads? So many questions.
Mordok

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject:  

Keavney is THE master of the Polls. Most (mine included) are fairly black or white. His stories are so multi layered its scary. The choices that are available all seem to lead to more questions. Its great fun.
Phang

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah this is a great story. My brain hurts :!: :evil:
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject:  

ya..i...ummm....

freedom without compromise!!!!
Reiso

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject:  

Mordok wrote: Keavney is THE master of the Polls. Most (mine included) are fairly black or white. His stories are so multi layered its scary. The choices that are available all seem to lead to more questions. Its great fun.

Mordok, I agree that keavney's writing is amazing. And I am not just brown-nosing here, the guy is really good. On a brief aside, has anyone checked out the White Queen in the archives? That thing is absolutely immense!!

So far I am only on chapter 9, but I am loving every bit of it. Weird how different it is though, web-wise. But it doesn't belong hidden away in some corner on the internet, it belongs on the bookshelf. I guess you have to be that kind of writer to set up a website like this.
Smee

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject:  

I haven't tackled that one yet, but intend to. :)
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject:  

Reiso, Keavney is putting it into a bokk, check out what he has to say in the Authors only section...
Key

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: The Wheel as a book  

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments. Let me reciprocate by saying that I love how you guys have gotten so much into the story and that you've always come up with great suggestions that have taken things in unexpected directions. That's what I really love about this - the fact that I don't really know where the story is going, either, and it often ends up surprising me.

I am putting the Wheel into book form, as D-Lotus mentioned, although it's taking a lot of rewriting to get it to flow smoothly as a linear story. The first novella should be out by March 2005 or so, when we move to the new site.
Reiso

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wheel as a book  

keavney wrote: I am putting the Wheel into book form, as D-Lotus mentioned, although it's taking a lot of rewriting to get it to flow smoothly as a linear story. The first novella should be out by March 2005 or so, when we move to the new site.

Is that going to be commercially available, keavney? Or will it be more like an e-book or print to order deal? That would be awesome if you could find it at Barnes & Noble or Borders or such. Congrats on publishing in any case!
Key

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wheel as a book  

Reiso wrote: keavney wrote: I am putting the Wheel into book form, as D-Lotus mentioned, although it's taking a lot of rewriting to get it to flow smoothly as a linear story. The first novella should be out by March 2005 or so, when we move to the new site.

Is that going to be commercially available, keavney? Or will it be more like an e-book or print to order deal? That would be awesome if you could find it at Barnes & Noble or Borders or such. Congrats on publishing in any case!

You'll be able to buy it on Amazon. It won't be in any bookstores at first, but hopefully it will eventually.
Mordok

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject:  

Whoo hoooo!!!

How are we going to get our copies autographed? :?
Smee

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah - I wanna signed copy :D
Key

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: Yeah - I wanna signed copy :D

Sure, I can get you that. :D
Smee

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:  

WooHoo

does a little dance
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject:  

Just read the news, Keaveney. Congrats and good luck on a published novella. I wouldn't mind having a signed either if you don't mind of course.
Phang

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject:  

Freedom without compromise :!:
:twisted:
Key

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Voting completed!  

Thanks to everyone who voted. The winning vote was to refuse the Bullroars' offer, and tell the Bullroars and the Emperor that there will be no peace until every sheephead slave is freed.

Chapter 8: The Fire King is posted based on this choice. Click View Next Chapter to see chapter 8.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
Page 1 of 1