Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 8: Animal
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Beyond the Horn - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phang

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Chapter 8: Animal  

Cautiously crawling towards the creature, Winger became all too aware of the bloodstains on the beast’s hooked teeth. But it was too late to change her mind – if she turned her back now, it could easily fasten those jaws around her neck.

It growled, but made no move to attack, perhaps intimidated by the human size of Winger and her lack of fear towards it, but whatever happened Winger stayed put, staring into the creature’s deep amber eyes. Staring back, they were locked into a competition of will, with neither backing down.

Sweat began to form on Winger’s forehead, the instinct buried deep within her knowing that if one of them didn’t give up soon, they would have to settle their dispute through violence – and if it meant one had to die, so be it.

The struggle seemed an eternity…

*~*~*

His hand returned as the last corpse reformed, stretching out long green fingers and breathing in deep with its cavernous mouth and inflating huge lungs, which hung out of its open chest.

A smile played across his weary and crumbling face, and he held the hand in front of him with the other hand still attached to his body.

“These are strange powers I have…” he pondered to himself. The hand seemed to watch him, and noticing this he realised the use of another being made from his own flesh. “My own hand, whether your thoughts are your own or some locked-away part of my mind, you shall be rewarded.” A young boy slid over with his worm-like lower body and thrust out a knife with a feathered hand. Taking it, he struck out and stabbed at a nearby woman, whose head howled on top of a disintegrating mass of grub-flesh. Blood burst forth and the hand leaped over to stab with its nail-fangs, drinking deep. “Keep it for yourself. Reform.” He whispered, and pictured a form in his mind, majestic, powerful, and loyal to the end. The hand began to change…

*~*~*

With a yelp, the creature crouched back, and a huge weight floated off Winger’s chest. She would not die today. Not yet, at least. But what the beast did next came as a surprise to her – nipping at her hand, it gripped her with its mouth and tugged. Climbing to her feet it pulled and she shook her hand loose. “I can follow!” she snapped, ignoring that it couldn’t understand her. But running in a circle it yapped and then paced off, and Winger followed.

After about an hour of wandering through miles of plant life, Winger had got lost very soon and couldn’t see any difference between one green spear of a tree and another. But the creature seemed to know what it was doing and Winger just looked around at the scenery – though as it all began to look the same it soon got boring.

But as Winger pushed past what looked like a curtain of woven bark strips, things became much less boring and far more amazing.

>~*~@~*~<

…I was about a month since Winger had been led to the tribe of creatures that were now her family. She had been accepted fairly quickly, which surprised her – but they had told her (for she was now grasping their language) that it was dishonourable to reject a lost and deformed child. Her parents were obviously lone uncivilised beasts, and probably dead, she was told. Winger didn’t dare tell them the truth about her upbringing. She had heard them curse humans with what she soon learned were dreadful words.

The creatures were getting edgy though lately. Those of lower order in the pack like her were scared, and fights broke out over hunting trips and the night watch. Winger gathered that something was out there, but the Alphas no longer emerged from their grass-woven huts and underground dens, choosing to send what little information they did release to the lowers through messengers.

Until one night, a messenger stood in the mound in the centre of the den, and the message sent a shiver of fear through Winger.

A beast with slashing dagger-claws curving over its long and muscled limbs was hunting the area. Wherever it went, there was destruction, and those slain by it became like zombies, rabid and vicious, and stopping at nothing to leave to the ‘rock plains’ Winger knew to be the site of the Factory. But worse, the messenger told that the Alphas had finally decided to tell them of the markings on its chest. Drawing a claw, it drew in the dirt, and Winger hastily managed to stifle a gasp. There before her was the rough image of a symbolised plant-beast – the same symbol burned into the chest of the Master, as the memories came flooding back from that fateful night.

The whole group was in confusion and panic, and suddenly everything clicked together for Winger. Her head spun. Her past was coming back for her, after she thought she’d found home. But then again, how could this be her home when she couldn’t even tell them what she really was?

The others were too busy to watch as she fell to the ground, shuddering. What could she do? What could she do?
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:  

Good chapter Phang! It looks like Winger has found some sort of security, but it's a fragile one at best if she has to keep secrets.

Maybe she can prove herself to her new family by going out to face this factory beast. Sooner or later, she will have to face her past anyway - and if she can defeat it, maybe she can afford to let these creatures know the truth about herself, without them reviling her for what she is?

If there is a way to get them truly on side, then maybe she can start to form a true resistance to the Master and his plans? Put an end to this, once and for all :shock:
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:  

Winger stood her ground, and has gained a fragile respect and tenuous security. She won't be able to approach the Alphas directly, it seems, but perhaps she should start to find out who she can trust in this new pack.

She should slowly reveal in bits what she knows about this creature they fear. Too much too soon to the wrong members will only make them fear her as well, but a clever and subtle revelation might make them view her and her knowledge as valuable to the family.

She will have to deal with her past, but she's in a position to ensure that she doesn't have to face it alone. Secure confidences, and if possible gain the confidence of the Alphas.
Smee

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:  

Good chapter Phang.

I agree with the comments so far. Proving herself in some way would go a long way to helping more trust develop, and confronting the beast would do just that - but is she confident enough in her abilities to do that. There's no point attacking it unless she has some confidence that she can beat it.

Maybe some scouting is required to learn more of this beast and it's abilities.

Keep it up.

Happy Writing. :)
Phang

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:  

Hmmmm, good ideas - let's poke some more people with AdverSticks* and see if I can get any more before I put the poll up.

*a product of Phang's Sticks Inc., in partnership with Chinaren Enterprises.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:  

:poke: Sounds like a plan.

I like Smee's suggestion about scouting for information. If she can enlist the help of her new family, a lot could be learned about weaknesses and strengths. This knowledge will empower her and her pack, and create a greater chance for success.
Phang

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:  

Hmph! The Treasury is poking me with my very own ReminderSticks!

I shall put up a hasty poll (provided the computer doesn't throw a tantrum), and whoop-de-crap, we have a new chapter.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:  

Voted...she needs to cautiously reveal what she knows. Exchange information and find out more. Gain allies.
Phang

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject:  

We have a tie! One more vote please!
Phang

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject:  

Ok, the poll is closed and we're going for the slow release of knowledge.

Oh joy!

Storygames Home -> Beyond the Horn - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1