Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Sojourner's Journey Chapter 9
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Sojourner's Journey - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Sojourner's Journey Chapter 9  

Sojourner’s Journey

Chapter IX

Preparations

Well, time to eavesdrop, but she couldn’t with the guard around, how to get rid of him? ‘Think, Alyssa, think’

Then an idea occurred to her, a wondrous idea. She looked at the guard and started, “Um, excuse me sir, but there’s a small problem with my room.”

The guard scowled, “How can you be so selfish, our entire world as we know it is coming to an end, and you’re thinking of yourself?”

Alyssa felt the blood rise to her cheeks and stated, “I don’t know what’s going on.”

The guard smirked, “Such ignorance in such a pretty package. Go find out for yourself.”

Alyssa snapped, “WHAT DO YOU THINK I’M TRYING TO DO, YOU IMBECILE? NOW, JUST LEAVE!”

The guard looked taken aback, then smiled, “Oh, I see what you’re doing. Trying to eavesdrop. Well, I guess I could watch that corridor over there for intruders. I might just miss you.”

Alyssa smiled, “You could, sorry for shouting, by the way.”

The guard grinned, “No problem, sorry for being such a jerk, but, if you’re caught, I’ve never seen you.”

“Thanks.” Alyssa was finally alone. Now to business. Alyssa crouched next to the door.

First thing she noticed was they were yelling, even Ouran. That startled Alyssa, she’d never heard Ouran even raise his voice. Soon, though she was ale to make out things.

“Calm down everyone, Ouran, calm down, you too Vaxus. Now, I know you’ve never been best pals exactly, but we need to work together.” It was obviously Zantos’ voice.

“I can’t believe that you, sir, are suggesting leaving the city at our greatest hour of need,” Vaxus, Alyssa assumed.

It was Ouran who spoke now, “The prophecy clearly states that the Sojourner, High Priest, and a human must go out and find the crystal one day. We must find it now!”

“Prophecies can be misread.” It was Brishma.

“We’ve lived on this one so long, we can’t give up hope, and do you realize what has happened? Rengatamal.”

This was met by several rude comments from which Alyssa decided must have been senators.

“We cannot deny it,” said Zantos, “We knew our connection with the crystal was fading. It’s finally been severed. The city is held up by magic. The only thing keeping it up now is leftover energy. It will fail next time the spell must be renewed, in two months.”

Ouran now pleaded, “Give me your leave to go with Alyssa and Zantos to find the crystal with several guards and diplomats.”

“You don’t even know where to look.”

“We will find it,” snapped Ouran.

Zantos spoke, “well, there’s nothing more to discuss until we reach a decision. Ouran’s plan has the Priestly Order’s backing. Does it have the military’s?”

Brishma hesitated, and then spoke, “It does.”

Vaxus shouted, “YOU’RE ALL MAD, I WILL NOT CONDONE THIS!”

Ouran just replied, “You don’t have too. Three of the four agree. It is legal.”

Alyssa stepped away from the door and ran as she heard approaching footsteps.

Alyssa had quickly agreed to the plan when asked to be the human.

Ouran sighed, “The caravan is being ready, but first we must search for the answers to where we are going. Any ideas?”

Alyssa paused, it could be anywhere in the city.
Decision Point

Where in the city do they search?
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject:  

Hey, i'm going to be gone all week on a ski trip, but feel free to post comments.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:  

Hmm, a quick ending for this chapter. But I guess it makes sense since you wanted to post this chapter up ASAP.

First maybe they should review the prophecy. Would it be the temples that would house the cities historical records? Also maybe they could find out more about when the city was first connected to the crystal. And who did it.

I can't think of anything else of where to start

I couldn't help noticing that it seems we aren't learning that much more about Alyssa. She just seems to be a two-dimensional character..
Alegria

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:  

Yes, I'll work on that little problem. Another good place to start might be the citie's Library.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:  

I was thinking that. But I wasn't sure of how the people here kept their history organized. All I could know is that they kept them on the shelves on their homes in neat little piles of papyrus. :cool:
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:  

This chapter seemed a bit rushed and forced...

Rave has a good idea...anywhere that records are kept would be a good place to begin. I'm also thinking maybe take to the streets. Seek out the everyday folk and listen to what stories they tell. Folk tales and stories passed to children by grandmothers always harbor an element of truth, and hearing these tales might point you in the proper direction.
Suneila

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:  

Go to the old folks' home. Old people always know everything.

Also, I couldn't help but notice this:
Alegria wrote: This was met by several rude comments from which Alyssa decided must have been senators.

This should be "whom" not "which"

I like the guard, by the way. Always had a soft spot for dumb (but not too dumb) muscle.

~sunny
Ravenwing

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:  

Good point about there being folk tales hanging around town.

I forgot about how a lot of cultures kept track of what went on in their lives through oral history before they first began to write it all down.
Alegria

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:  

Yes, sorry about the rushed feeling about the chapter.

That, Fauna, is an interesting idea even I hadn't thought of.

Good suggestion!
Alegria

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:  

We need more suggestions. Voting will start next week.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:  

Well, as it is from way back, anywhere that is an old place. Can't think of anything much else to add to the above!
Ravenwing

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:  

Can't say there is much in the way of suggestions.

1) Libraries
2) Oral History
3) Ruins

Anything with history is bound to have information. We just need it fast it would seem.
Alegria

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is up.
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:  

I think all of them are good suggestions. Is there some way we can split the group up, so all the places can be hit? I don't think going to one place as a group is going to help. They should take advantage of all their resources at the same time.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject:  

I understand Rave's point about splitting up...it's not exactly dangerous to be wandering around alone in the city from what I gather.

But sometimes two people working at the same time on the same task cover more ground, and understand more from what is covered. Oral history needs two sets of ears for everything to be caught, searching through ruins and relics in a tower needs more than one set of hands, and reading through the tomes in a library takes several people to locate relevant information.

If you divide people up, make sure there are adequate groups to get the task done, or tackle each task one at a time until you're certain that you have all the information you need.
Alegria

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:  

I shall add it to the poll.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:  

So going for my idea of splitting up. Distribution we can worry about later. :cool:
Alegria

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:  

Polls are closed.

Thanks for Voting, the winner is Oral history
Ravenwing

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject:  

Are they still going to split up? I am just curious because that seems to be the way to go.
ninja baloon

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:  

Everyone knows that when confronted with a choice of splitting up or sticking together people always split up (in horror movies or scooby doo atleast). Theres more excitment plus its much more expansive. There would be so much to write about. What they find what happens to them how they get back together blah blah blah etc etc etc. I know i'm knew to the story but i vote for splitting up.

Storygames Home -> Sojourner's Journey - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1