Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Sojourner's Journey, Chapter 10
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Sojourner's Journey - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Sojourner's Journey, Chapter 10  

Sojourner's Journey

Chapter 10

Glass Riddles

After a few minutes of quiet pondering, Alyssa had made up her mind.

"I think that we should ask the people for old stories, we could all split up and cover more ground that way."

Ouran blinked in suprise, he hadn't thought of that yet. "OK, Alyssa, you go with Rinor, I'll go with Elica, and Zantos, you go with Syred. We'll each take a different level.... and meet up here.... tonight. Remember to stay out of the abandoned parts of the city. Rengatamal may have scared the parasites, but it didn't destroy them."

They each started off on their seperate ways.

Ouran sighed. Him and Elica were getting nowhere fast, and, to top that, Elica seemed to think this was a chance to really influence the entire people. She had also gotten into the habit of calling him Oury.

"We could try to make a treaty with other nations, you know, humans, and then we could get some human food, maybe I could find out what this human fascination with dating is all about.... are you listening Oury?"

He was listening, and he rolled his eyes. Everyone knew what dating was. 'Great, I'm stuck with this spoiled girl that I've known since childhood, Rengetamal's just happened, and all she can do is tell me every way I've messed up, how I should fix it. She's just a...

----------------------------------------censored for taste----------------------

...and on top of all of that, she's flirting with me!"

The search continued.

Zantos and Syred, on the other hand, had had no conversation. There had been several attempts, but the two men couldn't seem to agree on anything. Zantos was too much of a religious scholar type, and Syred was a colonel in the army who was all about using the same tactics used in interrogation to find information.

Zantos sighed, 'It's like those human shows with the good policeman and the bad one.' It was all very frustrating, and the fact that all the people seemed to be scared of them didn't exactly help either. Syred was just too imposing.

Alyssa walked along at a brisk pace, her partner, Rinor, was in fact the same guard at the door the day before that she had tried to trick. He was very friendly, but she was too busy to talk, lost in her own thoughts.

Everyone they met seemed empty, like an empty salt shaker that somehow knows it needs salt. The sight almost brought her to tears. Small children, just standing on the corner crying softly, lamenting the disruption of their powers. Their wings heaved up and down with their backs, reminding Alyssa of a painting she once saw of a weeping angel. Men and women alike were walking about their daily chores like they always did, but this time, there was no hope of a better life. They Crystal had abandoned them, their city was about to sink into the sea, and their lives were getting more dismal and bleak by the moment.

Then, by complete chance, they happened to interveiw someone who knew an old crone that was their when the crystal was taken away.

Alyssa listened, intrigued, by the old womans tale, and a story so bizzare.

It seemed that when the Rinosians first came, they were part of a larger group of tribes, ruled by a conquering people called the Senncharib. The Rinosians were the least of the tribes, and were only kept because they had access to a crystal, and it gave them unlimited power. Anyone else who came in contact to it who was not Rinosian died instantly. But, then the crystal dissapeared, just as the Senncharib had conquered most of the human world. Fearfully, the Rinosians declared independance from their opressors, and easily drove any attacks of with their defense system. They all knew the bond would eventually snap, but it was supposed to be a long time away. Meanwhile, the Rinosians busied themselves with becoming friendly to the humans. The Senncharib were eventually driven away by the humans, helpless without magic.

"Then," the old woman crooned, "I was told a riddle, which was to be told to the prophesied ones who would save us. It rhymes in Rinosian, but I'll tell it in human, for you." After hearing the riddle, Alyssa and Rinor left to tell the others.

"So, Ouran did you find out anything?"

"No, Alyssa I didn't. Someone would not be silent the entire time, which probably made the people mad that we weren't being silent in honor of our loss."

"What about you, Zantos?"

"Don't even bring it up."

"Well, we found something interesting at least. A riddle and a story." Alyssa quickly recited the tale and then told the riddle.

Where glass is as hard as stone
Look for the numbers three
Then look for the name
Find the square that is round
Climb third number's feet
And look down.
There your treasure lies

Descision point

Where to now to solve this perplexing puzzle?
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:  

I think maybe it's time to go to the library and do some research on historical buildings, statues, geographical features, things like that.

Alternatively, they can call an expert into court. One of the architects of the city or someone who travels a lot. See what they can make of the riddle.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:  

Yay! A new chapter.

I am curious. Did Ouran know of Elica's interest in him before deciding to go with her? If so, I found it odd that he would pair himself with her.

Anyways. F5 Shady. She seems to come up with all the great ideas.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:  

They need a spiritual leader. This riddle is unlikely to lead to a physical place, that someone could discover and plunder. The riddle points to a different type of strongbox, one within the soul.
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:  

excellent suggestions, yes, as I wrote it I found it odd that Ouran would choose her, but I guess that the Sojourner has his reasons.
Ravenwing

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:  

Hmm. 'Tis a curious choosing for those two. Actually I felt quite sorry for him.
Alegria

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:  

Yes, I tried to write it differently, but I've lost control of my story!!!! Ouran's writing it now. :oops:
Ravenwing

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:  

LOL. It's the character's story. We authors just write it.
Alegria

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:  

Poor us :cry2: But it makes good reading. :tu:
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:  

That is what we work toward, yes.
Alegria

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject:  

That it is.

Any more suggestions?????????? :confused:
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sojourner's Journey, Chapter 10  

One nitpick: I didn't understand this sentance.

Alegria wrote: [color=olive]"No, Alyssa I didn't. Someone would not be silent the entire time, which probably made the people mad that we weren't being silent in honor of our loss."

Did some folks refuse to talk to them? Was their asking questions making folks mad because no-one was talking?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Interesting story and the riddle is confusing.

Is there a clocktower that they can see from the palace somewhere?
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:  

I can't think of much else then what I have already suggested.
Alegria

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:  

To answer your question, they considered the girl rude. It was sort of understood that there would be silence in the city, as everyone was shocked that they'd just lost a huge part of them.
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:  

So...when are we to have a poll or something?
Alegria

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:  

Right about now.
Ravenwing

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject:  

Voted.
Alegria

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:  

Anymore votes????????
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:  

6 is a decent number of votes, Algy. Why don't you just start writing. ;)
Alegria

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject:  

I shall on Monday, when I post the new chapter for Glass Friendship.

Storygames Home -> Sojourner's Journey - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1