Chapter 2: Rumblings
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Twin Prince
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Chapter 2: Rumblings  

The next chapter of the featured storygame "The Twin Prince" has been posted:

Chapter 2: Rumblings

Voting has begun on Chapter 2! You must log in or register to vote.

For more about the storygame, see the New Players Start Here topic in this forum.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:  

I say to go alone. If you are to take splendor you are more suseptable to bandits. One man won't attract much attention, not if thgere is a larger force. Send a force to help in the war, but go yourself alone, by a different route. Have the force go in splendour, attracting bandits to them, not you.
JezSharp

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:  

Right...so I'm guessing that choice was designed as a test of where his sons intentions lay, wonder whether he would have had both kept on if he had chosen Force, I suspect they may well have been.

Of the options now before him:

i) Continue as normal as his father wishes...doesn't benefit him that much, he is being held back and would make the story rather dull.

ii) Explore the forbidden tower - hopefully he would get hold of some useful artefacts that may help him later on. I would make this a certainty as his next action.

iii) After the above he could either:

a) Explore the dungeons - would be interesting but wiithout knowing much about the dangers lurking there...may well be best to travel first and find out more about it as Rene/Renos is not exactly being helpful over it.

b) Go out into the world as a tradesman/peasant etc and explore the kingdom. My favourite option as it would paint a better picture of The Wheel and give a new perspective on the life that happens upon it. Lots of different ways the plot could go as well.

c) Go to war as a soldier - Not a particularaly good, sensible or in a ny way recommended option. His father's already working hard on the war and there are soldiers and generals to fight it. What good could he really do? He's certainly not a trained soldier and the almost inevitable death from fighting in the war isn't exactly a recipie for sucess. I really do not go along with the idea of him getting involved in the war in any way as it would almost certainly not benefit him and hardly benefit the war effort.
The Powers That Be

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:  

Are the caverns forbidden? It doesn't say. I guess I'm being timid here, but there are so many mysteries, why not start exploring the ones that aren't banned and then move on to outright defiance if and when it's appropriate.
heymikie

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:  

What a huge choice this is. I feel there are three ways to go:

i) Stay learning the way he is now. Could be slightly boring though.

ii) As JezSharp suggested, go out into the kingdom unknown to his people and live with them for a while learning who they are and how the people of his soon to be kingdom feel about anything. He may even get a tast of fighting which would help him when he becomes ruler.

iii) Leave and explore the underground caverns. This could be a problem for him because he has know idea who is down there or what is hiding in the shadows.

I guess there is a fourth. He could leave and got to war and who knows what will happen there.
mor dakka

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:  

personaly i think going out unknown to the people sounds good but he would need money and a weapon- could he raid the tresury or armory?
Key

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks for the comments, everyone, and welcome to the new players :D

A few clarifications:

The White Blacksmith wrote: Send a force to help in the war, but go yourself alone, by a different route. Have the force go in splendour, attracting bandits to them, not you.
Julius hasn't been given a force to command, so he can't just send one. However, his father has forces at his command, so Julius could ask his father to send a force.

The Powers That Be wrote: Are the caverns forbidden? It doesn't say.
The caverns are forbidden. Julius has already pretty much explored all the areas he's allowed to go in, which is around a quarter or so of the inner Citadel.

mor dakka wrote: personaly i think going out unknown to the people sounds good but he would need money and a weapon- could he raid the tresury or armory?
Julius has a sword and access to armor. He has no money, but he has seen it in the Inner Citadel and might be able to steal some.

Get your comments in, everyone. Due to scheduling constraints I'm going to shorten the discussion time for this chapter. Voting will start tomorrow (Monday) night.

:-)
Argonaut

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:  

I'm for attempting to explore, as covertly as possible, the forbidden areas of the citadel. While he could learn a lot about the world by being out in it, he might find it hard to get back into the citadel.
dinranwen

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:  

Once again, this chapter is clothed in mystery and there are many layers and consciences that lie in this one DP. Once agian, your created a decision point that is more than what it seems.

So basically the options are:

Stay Put. Do nothing.- -An unwise decision, not mention boring.\

Explore the forbidden- -Potentially Interesting, but also potentially dangerous.

Join the War, in any way, any form- -Potentialy dangerous, not mention foolhardy. Plus you have to add the possibilty of his father refusing to let him go.

Join the People. - -Interesting, but almost pointless.

My opinions are simple. Rene/Renos said there are some things that are best not to know, but nevertheless even if we do not wish to know the answers of our questions, still they must be answered. My thoughts turn to Frodo in LOTR, one of my favorite books of all time. Frodo certainly didn't want to be told that what he thought was a harmless rign was a ring of power, but in the end this knowledge along with much else help destroy the greatest danger to mankind. Add to this the fact these quaks the ciatdel are experiencing aren't pointless, there must be a cause, and it might be wise to know the cause. After all, who wants to be in a castle that may fall on its self. This and more makes Exploring the forbidden my first choice.

Contary to the rest of you, I don't think Julius should join the war. Although this could make for an interesting plot, it would be as if he was 16 again but instead of chosing wisdom and Rene, Julius chose force and Kanthos. It would be basically doing the same thing that we decided Julius shouldn't do. Besides, it is unlikely that hi father will let him go and if he goes disgused its unlike that he will go unrecongized for long.

Going among the people sounds attractive but it is but an alluring mist, attractive but unsubstational. In addition, there may be something hidden in the dark that although dangerous may give Julius the knowledge of his identity, the wisdom he needs, and ultimately his destiny.

Good Chapter! Must have more!
solus.serpen

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:  

ok, great second chapter - looking forward to more :D .

as for DP, i F5 Jez on ii) Quote: Explore the forbidden tower - hopefully he would get hold of some useful artefacts that may help him later on. I would make this a certainty as his next action. and b) Quote: Go out into the world as a tradesman/peasant etc and explore the kingdom. My favourite option as it would paint a better picture of The Wheel and give a new perspective on the life that happens upon it. Lots of different ways the plot could go as well. I also think that if he gets out among the people, he might gain some knowledge to do with the caverns, and can better prepare himself for what is down there, need he ever feel the need to explore them.
These work well together and can follow on, immediate action would be ii) explore/raid the tower.
Key

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:  

Poll's up. Happy voting! :D
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:  

Mm, I thought I had commented on this. Ah well,never mind. Voted.
JezSharp

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject:  

Well I'm sticking with exploring the forbidden tower - with the eventual aim to leave the King's palace for either the dungeons or to go amongst the people. Getting into the tower doesn't sound too dangerous and the potential reward in terms of knowledge he could gain and useful items he could collect outweigh the risks.
solus.serpen

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject:  

voted :) .
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:  

'ted
saxon215

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:  

ummm personally i would choose to explore the tower, i think it holds the most information and benifit with the least risk
JezSharp

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:  

:D Go the tower, it has to be the tower first...after that he can go along with one of the other options. :D
Nuclear Rage

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:  

I would definetly say that he should go out into the world as a mercenary. Who knows he might end up workin for the enemy and face him father on the battlefield.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:  

And that is good because?

Would you like to face your father, who doesn't know who you are so has no qualms about kiiling you, who is much better trained in fighting than you?
Key

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:  

Many apologies everyone. I've been without net access for the last four days, and still don't have it at home. The next chapter will (obviously) be late; I'll keep the poll open till I know when it's going to be.

The White Blacksmith

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:  

That's O.K Key, none of us can have access all the time.
Mother Goose

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:  

Good story beginning! I'm glad to be back and reading.

I'm confused about Julius's parents. His father seems to be human, a Maker, like Julius. Was his mother, also? Or is that one of those things we'll find out in time?
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:  

It does say that he is different from his father though, and 'why' was one of the things he wanted to find out.
Mother Goose

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:  

Missed that, thanks Lordy.
riveroftears

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Chapter 2: Rumblings  

I say that he should ask his father. His father coulod give him advise, troops or go along with him. Why waste any help he could possibly get? :smile:
Key

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:  

OK, again apologies for the delay. I'm finally back online and ready to get back into a weekly schedule. I'm going to leave the poll open until Tuesday, and the next chapter will be come out on Saturday.

Key

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:  

OK, poll has been closed. The decision was to explore the forbidden tower.

Next chapter will be up on Saturday.

Key

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject:  

Locking this topic, as Chapter 3 is posted.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Twin Prince
Page 1 of 1