Chapter 4: History
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Twin Prince
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Chapter 4: History  

The next chapter of the featured storygame "The Twin Prince" has been posted:

Chapter 4: History

Discussion and voting are complete for chapter 4.

For more about the storygame, see the New Players Start Here topic in this forum.
Argonaut

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:  

Very nice chapter, I'm really getting into this story. As for the decision point, I can't see any reason not to go up the stairs. He's come this far, there's no point in turning back now.

(by the way the discusion link still points to chapter 3)
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject:  

Go up the stairs of course. :?
solus.serpen

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject:  

yep, up the stairs. ;)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:  

Go to your Father - as he said, what's up there can't help him. All he can do is anger him more. The truth really isn't that important.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:  

Just one thing - for some reason fables don't seem to be working on this thread.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject:  

F5 China. Go up the stairs. Julius haslearned this much about Aeneas and their father's history, anything more is not going to kill him. Besides he has already incurred his father's wrath by even coming this far, going to him is not going to lessen the punishment.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:  

The question is, who would Julius trust more, the python, or his father? Is his need for knowledge greater than the obedience to his father? Does whatever is up there compensate for his father's wrath once he returns, if he does? How does Julius know that his father doesn't speak the truth?

Julius has no real resentment against his father, and the conditionment under his controlled tutelage, I expect would incline him to obey his father over a giant python who only minutes before responded to his question by warning Julius it had saved him from his death.

However, I believe that Julius' search of freedom will override all the other factors. After all, he has lived 21 years in captivity, and has already demonstrated his necessity of freedom by risking disaster only to get inside the tower. If to get inside he had already challenged his father's authority and more, making explode the butcher's, then I don't understand why he would not recurr in his actions. Now, he has a free passageway, with only his father's will to hold him back. How much better can it get?

Although he has never challenged his father in such a direct way (when he sneaked inside the tower, it was more indirect), I think that Julius' yearning for independence will pull him towards the stairs. After all, he's been waiting for this all his life. Of course, his liberty is not guaranteed, and he might encounter something bad up there, but as long as there's a chance, then I think he would take it, father or no father.
dinranwen

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:  

There is no more reason for Julius to trust his father than the python.

Julius has reason to distrust them both, but his more reason to distrust his father.

Let us review the reasons shall we: His father has kept a practical captive in his own home; his father has kept secrets from him; his father has killed men in the past; his father probably killed Aenas (this is not yet known but it is likely); and if he goes to his father, he will most likely be going to his death.

If Julius goes back to his father, what does he go back too: Captivity. A harder captivity probably, one in which he will be contanstly watched, limited, and quote, unquote protected.

~~~
Now is the time to fight. Too long has this captivity lasted. Resentment against your father rises in your heart, resentment and determination. "I'm sorry father," you hear yourself say. "I need to know."

~~~

Go up the stairs. Make your move. Declare war against your father in the most subtless of ways. Discover the knowledge you need to know to become king, a true king.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: quote, unquote protected.

I think you mean: quote protected unquote. ;)
Key

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:  

lordofthenight wrote: Just one thing - for some reason fables don't seem to be working on this thread.

Thanks for the tip. Fixed.

:-)
JezSharp

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:  

I f5 dinranwen, his whole life so far has been spent being kept from knowledge by his father - for no apparent positive reason. Add to that he has found that his father has had another son whom he clearly loved and who died. It's certainly possible that his father is over - shielding him so that he doesn't end up dying as his last son did, or that he dislikes him because of the memory of his last son.

I'd go with the serpent every time, he at least seems to be on the Prince's side.
Smee

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject:  

Good chapter Key - much more meat to the bones of the Wheel these days. The history is very interesting.

Quick technicality..

Quote: You look back at the statue of Aeneas, and for the first time, you a strange feeling of connection comes over you.

I'm inclined to believe our father, there will be nothing but hurt up there. But if we can't handle it at 21, then we'll never be strong enough to be Emperor. He may have protected us for 21 years out of some strange compassion, however, now it is time to know.

Up the stairs we go.

One other alternative to consider - with the snake between us and father. Ask him to explain the pictures, ask him for a history lesson in his own words. And then ask him to tell us what's upstairs. Any hint of untruth or holding back, and just go up the stairs.

Happy Writing. :)
Shady Stoat

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject:  

I agree with the majority here. If he's going to be Emperor some day, he has to know the truth, not be coddled.

Smee's suggestion is diplomatic, but I don't think he'll be in any state of mind to be diplomatic. He's reached the age now where he needs to find out the truth for himself, not be told it by others. Even if he doesn't detect the lie from his father or the serpent, how could he ever be sure that there wasn't one?

Go up the stairs, find out for himself.
Key

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:  

Poll's up!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject:  

Voted solely to go to Dad.
Key

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject:  

The poll is closed, thanks for the votes!

The winning choice was to go up the stairs. New chapter based on that will come out on Saturday.

:-)
Key

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:  

Locking this chapter.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Twin Prince
Page 1 of 1