Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

The Twin Prince 9: Madness in the Dark
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Twin Prince
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: The Twin Prince 9: Madness in the Dark  

The next chapter of the featured storygame "The Twin Prince" has been posted:

Chapter 9: Madness in the Dark

Discussion and voting are complete for Chapter 9.

For more about the storygame, see the New Players Start Here topic in this forum.
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:  

Weee, first post!

I liked this chapter, but I can't think of anything amazing to do other than keep doing what he is. Keep trying to use the spark, speak to the chick and attempt and remain sane, however you do that.
Smee

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:  

Staying sane... tricky proposal.

Perhaps being so friendly, and communicative with our 'friend', the guard, is reassuring him that we are well and therefore he doesn't want to jepodise his position by replying.

If we show some desperation, and sign of problems then regardless of whether he speaks to us, he'll likely report it back. Ask him what time of day it is whenever he comes. Ask him the date. Get a fix on the time and focus on keeping track of it. Maintaining a link to the real world, even if it's just a date, could help with staying sane. Seeing our desperation could convince him to break his silence

And we needs to start with the exercise again. Adrenaline from the exercise will help clear our mind of any clouding effects.

As for the spark - I'm at a loss except perhaps he needs to focus more carefully on one aim. Rather than jumping from imagined act, to imagined act - stick with one and perservere with it until there's some sign of it working. Everyday that it doesn't work will make us more determined to see it work tomorrow and that could boost the likelyhood of it working.

Happy Writing :)
juggernaut

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:  

i think that Julious is going about the spark wrong. He keeps imagining that he can affect the behaviour of others while i believe the spark has more to do with his ability to manipulate and even control his own actions and destiny. It would almost be like that special something that made michael jordan always hit the clutch shot to win the game. the makers can do this through immense self confidence and visualization of the desired outcome. for example; if julious truly believed he could defeat mars then it would be so. in any case i suppose self confidence is not easy to come by when your halucinating in a dungeon.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:  

As Ford Prefect said...

'I went mad once. Did me the world of good. I thought I was a lemon and spent most of my time jumping in and out of a lake that thought it was a martini. Save your sanity for when you need it.'

'How did you kow it thought it was a martini?'

'It told me so.'

I say go mad. You'll wast your sanity otherwise and it'll give you entertainment. Save your sanity for when you need it, because otherwise you'll go mad not from choice, and that means you won't have a tiny voice which remembers you went mad and can thus pull you out of it.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:  

His main problem is he's trying to imagine doing something he doesn't believe he can do. If the Spark is based on belief, and he doesn't believe it, then it will never happen.

I'd say forget the Spark, and focus on surviving. Do pretty much what Smee already laid out.
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:  

I didn't like the decision point- it was very limited. The chapter was also short, although maybe it just seems that way because it isn't in flash.

Smee had a good suggestion, I think he pretty much outlined everything you can do. I guess he could try and do mental exercise as well- think of all the lessons he's had, do math in his head (even very simple math, just to help him focus), review history, etc...

Maybe he can get the jailer to get him pen and paper? That way, he can do some writing, which is a good way to relieve his thoughts.

Also, I think he should lay off the spark- it seems to be making him go crazy, and its not helping in my opinion.
Mother Goose

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject:  

By all means try to stay sane! That means resisting the allure of the dream woman as much as you can. Smee and D both have good suggestions for mind exercises - the multiplication tables, memorized poetry, anything to keep your mind from the haze the woman brings. Has Julius had any religious training? Prayer and/or meditation might help.

I also second the idea of asking the jailor for the date. If he ever answers, that would be good to know and keep track of.

The disappearance of the note is worrisome. It could get your one possible friend removed or worse.
Key

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:  

Poll's up! Many of the suggestions were not mutually exclusive, so I'm asking you to vote for the choice that you think is the most important thing for Julius to do.
Key

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:  

Poll will close tomorrow. Looking for last-minute votes...
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:  

Put mine in, and made it a tie! :D
Mother Goose

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject:  

I'll break your tie, with exercise. You can't do anything if your body goes; it will help keep you sane.

Of course you should do the other things too, like the mind exercises.
Key

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks everyboey, poll's closed. New chapter will be up today or tomorrow.
Key

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:  

Locking this topic, as chapter 10 is now posted.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Twin Prince
Page 1 of 1