Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Lords and Ladies. General discussion thread.
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Lords and Ladies. General discussion thread.  

The White Blacksmith

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:  

Start carefully and slowly heading for the North Path while you wait for your scouts to come back. Then act on their verdict.
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject:  

Coolness. I'd say go to the north.

The dandy's just an idiot.
JezSharp

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject:  

Yep North Path's looking good, it shouldn't delay him long enough for a full scale coup to occur.
Argonaut

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:  

this is begining to look unanimous :) Better a challenge in court that you know about than an unknown number of ambushers in the woods, take the north path.
Smee

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:  

Quote: “Who are they Hark, how many and are they friendly?” Byrold squinted at the tree line near the horizon.

“The fact that they didn't wish to show themselves is indicative in itself sire. I would recommend we take the North road, around the trees.”

He doesn't get an answer to how many - all that was reported was 'movement ahead'. Doesn't give any indication of numbers.

For all we know it's an old hermit with a lame dog.

On the otherhand - back at court - people really don't like being without a king. If his step-mum steps forward with an option, then they'll fall over themselves to get the whole process out the way and back to business.

We can't delay - get through the trees and move it. Scouts in the furthest ring around us, then the light cavalry, and then the heavy. Unless it's pikemen in the woods (unlikely, pikes are hardly handy amongst trees) then cavalry will still have the height advantage of horse. They'd have to be heavily outnumbered.

Happy Playing :)
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:  

Even if there is a coup, can't he just kill the step mom and the infant?
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:  

So kind eh?

"Yeah, I'm supposed to treat you like you're my mum and I've known the kid from his birth but what the hell, I'll kill you anyway!"

I can see that happening. Really, I can.
JezSharp

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:  

Well...it is an ancient world, he hasn't really known the child as he'ds been away studying for a while and his step mum might hate him. Still I'd have to agree with Whitey, I doubt he'd go and kill them both (he sounds too nice a person) - although he may have them locked up for treason if they plot a cou.
Smee

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:  

It's only treason if he's the king ;)
JezSharp

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:  

That's a very good point...although as the past King has requested he be made King then he could claim that he is temporarily acting King of his country until he is officially made King. Or he could claim that as they new he was to be made King and they tried to stop that - that they were therefore hindering his father's wishes, so were actually committing treason against his father (who it could also be argued is in theory acting King until his son takes over) disobeying his orders. Either way I'm sure that if he was made King he could get the finest lawyers of the land onto the case in question and somehow procure a charge of treason :lol: .

On second thoughts perhaps banishing them or killing them would just be a lot simpler :) .
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:  

Yes... KILL KILL KILL KILL!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Anyways... that's how it's been done throughout history. At least he's not as mean as Alexander the Great's mother...

Who roasted the only other heir to the country alive and ate him to perserve her son's claim to the throne.

But yeah... people ... fall off the map all the time.
Smee

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: That's a very good point...although as the past King has requested he be made King then he could claim that he is temporarily acting King of his country until he is officially made King.

I do believe Marcus Aralias said that Maximus should be Caesar - didn't work out to plan there.

Basically, if he's there, declaring, they will believe him and it'll be fine (apart from possible assassins and other fun). If he's not, he will likely lose his throne. His step-brother is the son of the current Queen afterall. Not an insignificant claim. With his step-mum, the current Queen, acting as Regent until his step-brother comes of age.

That needs to be stopped, and the easiest way is by being there on time.
JezSharp

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: Basically, if he's there, declaring, they will believe him and it'll be fine (apart from possible assassins and other fun). If he's not, he will likely lose his throne. His step-brother is the son of the current Queen afterall. Not an insignificant claim. With his step-mum, the current Queen, acting as Regent until his step-brother comes of age.

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with that - it really depends on whether the people expect him to become King (likely) and on how long they are prepared to wait before choosing anew. It would have to be an increibly fickle and unstable country that sent for a King who's route to the Kingdom is almost certainly treacherous and then expect him to arrive in on time as though the route was a complete stroll.

Also in the end if he chooses the quicker route he risks death (there must be a fairly high probablility of that - over 20%) or the death of many of his troops.

If he chooses the slow route and looses his Kingdom...so what :) , he's lost the dangerous burden of ruling his Kingdom, the threat of assassination and can go back to his studies. More than likely his step mum and son will Quote: fall off the map fairly soon afterwards anyway and he'll once again be wisked off to Kinghood.

That's why I think he should go for the slower route - less risk, and consequently more chance of gain.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:  

Oooh! Vigourous discusion! Like it like it!

Actually, Smee had a good point. The number and identity of the woodsfolk were not identified. It could be some bandits who decided to leg it when they saw the troops, or Smee's old man and dog.

Of course, it could be something more sinister... :lol:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:  

What makes him think that he'd actually be able to overthrow his step-mum, and that puppet King her son would be. They'd have control of the army, and of the people.

I think they should take the quickest route - afterall - what type of impression are you trying to set as King? One who cowers, and shies away from danger? Or one you is prepared to ride through the lion's mouth towards his target?
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: What makes him think that he'd actually be able to overthrow his step-mum, and that puppet King her son would be. They'd have control of the army, and of the people .

Well, (he says, making stuff up quickly), she is unlikely to try anything overtly risky whilst she still has a chance of making a grab for power legally, plus she will have her own enemies, and other people will be loyal to the old king and legitimate heir.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:  

Of course, but that doesn't mean he can simply assume that defeating her will be simple. If it was - then there'd be no risk in going the long way.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:  

lordofthenight wrote: Of course, but that doesn't mean he can simply assume that defeating her will be simple. If it was - then there'd be no risk in going the long way.

Oh yes, valid point. That's the nub of the DP here. That and who/what is in the woods of course. ;)
CunningFox

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:  

nother new one i see. well I think you should find out more about hwo is in teh forest. Send some scouts in they are expendable.
JezSharp

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:  

Ok, all valid points...but it isn't actually that imporatnt to this guy to be made King, it seems as though he would be much happier letting someone else take the throne from him in a cou and go back to studying - in which case the longer route makes sense. He either becomes King or gets to go back and study until his step mum/brother are assassinated. Taking the shorter route he either becomes King or dies horribly at the bunch of masked killers who will come pouring from the woods to tear him limb from limb - well...faces death at any rate. Therefore the wisest move for him to take is the longer route.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: but it isn't actually that imporatnt to this guy to be made King, it seems as though he would be much happier letting someone else take the throne from him in a cou and go back to studying

Come now Jez, you really think someone who has taken the throne would leave him alive, to turn up and challenge them in the future? Tush tush. ;)

Quote:
in which case the longer route makes sense. He either becomes King or gets to go back and study until his step mum/brother are assassinated

Of course, that is another option! :D
JezSharp

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: Come now Jez, you really think someone who has taken the throne would leave him alive, to turn up and challenge them in the future? Tush tush.
Yeah, he'd have to send scouts ahead to check on the situation and be prepared to flee back to the law school if the other members of his family are in charge. :)
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:  

I still think he should go on the longer route. I'm not sure why. I just do.
JezSharp

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:  

F5 Whitey :) , although for the reasons that I've been over above - definately got to be the longer route.

When (roughly) is the poll going to come out for this - could be an interesting vote :lol: ?
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:  

JezSharp wrote: F5 Whitey :) , although for the reasons that I've been over above - definately got to be the longer route.

When (roughly) is the poll going to come out for this - could be an interesting vote :lol: ?

I will leave it over the weekend for anyone else to comment and put a poll up late Sunday or Monday. (China time).
solus.serpen

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:  

Take the longer route.
chiacutie

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:  

I say kill the b**** and her son, they were going to do it first, or send them somewhere, I have no conscience. Stay and go to the court. That's what I command. Now go! ;)
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:  

Uh, chia? You do realise that the option was which path to take, not how to deal with your family?

Oh, and C'ren? What relation was he to the dead king?
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:  

The White Blacksmith wrote: Uh, chia? You do realise that the option was which path to take, not how to deal with your family?

Oh, and C'ren? What relation was he to the dead king?

He is the Prince, second so* to the dead King. (His older brother was also killed).

The first poll :D for this SGame is up!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:  

Ride on I say, through Hell and High Weather.

And I'm sure you already said he was the late King's son.
Smee

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:  

Drive on through the woods :)
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:  

Voted!

Go round. You have the4 time. It seems this country has had a monarch quite recently so it won't completly fall apart and turn to a baby if you take a tiny bit longer
Smee

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: It seems this country has had a monarch quite recently so it won't completly fall apart and turn to a baby if you take a tiny bit longer

We're not concerned with the country falling apart. We're concerned with our Step-mum taking the throne, and then likely having us killed.

And that is a problem if we take 'a tiny bit longer'

Come on people - vote through the woods :D
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:  

As far as I'm concerned, having the throne taken from us is not our only concern. If word gets out that we backed away at first sign of trouble, then our step-mum and son would almost be justified in the trying to take the throne.

A weak king has no real right to the throne, and not how we'd want to appear.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:  

But a King who thinks before he acts will not get half te country killed when he trys to go up against a country 5 times the size (with much better weaponry) in a war just cause he wanted to appeared unafraid.
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:  

The White Blacksmith wrote: But a King who thinks before he acts will not get half te country killed when he trys to go up against a country 5 times the size (with much better weaponry) in a war just cause he wanted to appeared unafraid.

Who says the Step mother won't do that too? ;)
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject:  

So the step mother is outrageously stupid then?> Excellent! That makes things a lot easier!
ninja baloon

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:  

Drive through the woods like a hot sledge hammer through butter*! What kind of story would this be without the action? Okay, let's trot around the forest and admire the countryside. Oh! Look at that, a Kestrel! What lovely scenary.... give me a break! In all honesty I would love there to be a huge demonic army waiting behind a cardboard pin up forest that could implode ones head just by looking at you.

*I don't know what it is about that quote that I love so much. It just screams overkill!
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: Oh! Look at that, a Kestrel! What lovely scenery.

You tempt me Nalloon. ;)

Actually, though of course there will be action, my plan* is for intrigue** and politicial manauverings** rather than all out warfare.

*Remembering the old adage: No plan has ever survived contact with the enemy.
**So I should really learn how to spell these.

Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4