Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Lords & Ladies. Chapter 7 - King without a Throne.
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Lords & Ladies. Chapter 7 - King without a Throne.  

{removed}
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject:  

He should ambush and rob a farmer. Yank his clothes as a disguise. Then get moving. See if he can gather some intel.
Smee

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject:  

hmmm... interesting plot twist indeed.

He has been crowned now at least, so whilst he's not in his kingdom, some time has been bought before a claim against the crown can be made. Had he not finished the coronation a move would probably happened immediately.

So where are we? I agree it's probably not a nice place, but I'm not convinced it's as bad as it might have been. If their plan was to teleport him somewhere truly nasty then they'd have done so immediately. Why waste time with the first attacks? I'd say this was a quick 'plan B' when they realised Mazel was there for defence.

Based on what we've seen so far I'm going to say we're in Country-Iswyle : ... mountainous and lush land. It's as far north as Glomp, which is a desert, so would make sense it'd be hotter than Yroth. The mountains form a line down the border between Iswyle and Glomp which means the rain proably gets trapped on the Iswle side, making it lush, and Glomp a desert.

But why would they choose such a place to send him?

Because the only way to get from Iswyle back to Yroth is to pass either through Glomp - a harsh desert. Charredal - the necromancer place, or Centic, the place with closed borders populated by the rather nasty insects. None of those are going to be trivial, and any direction is a long distance.

The only other way, would be far to the south west of Iswyle, a narrow stretch of land that eventually borders with Mordon - the mage's land. Throughout this journey we'd have the insects on one side, the necromancers on the others. Given the small army of Iswyle, despite this being within Iswyle borders I'd say it is just as unfriendly.

However, there's one flaw with my reasoning. We saw men, and the population of Iswyle are lizard-people...

No other land descriptions provide other clues though. Perhaps we're in Vestrel, yet to be described?

~

Remove some of the more ostentatious clothing, make a bundle out of it to carry the crown in, and head closer to the village. Until we find out where we are, we're not in a good position. Might make things worse by going to the village, but if we get arrested then at least we'll be fed and in a cell rather than outside in useless clothing.

Happy Writing. :)
JezSharp

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject:  

Great chapter as usual China :)

My first impressions were that he is on the northern border of Neil so. I f5 Smee in that it was a quick plan B to dump him there as it is very close if so. My reasoning stemmed from the fact that he had to push through some forest land (suggesting either the edge of the Etherial woods or the famous woods of Neil so which provide the bark for their boats - probably the former). The people bending down could be the rice farmers.

However that wouldn't explain the fact it was hotter, and the forest of Etherial would hardly be a jungle... :? Therefore it may well be as Smee said, he hasn't come close enough to the 'people' yet to get a clear view and at that distance could easily be mistaken - and it would explain the heat...plus thinking about it he would notice if the fields were rice fields due to their whiteness so I'd favor Smee's idea.

I'm not so sure about robbing and ambushing a farmer...it could work well but could go horribly wrong (although I suppose that applies to all the current plans). I think he should approach cautiously and see if he can better establish the people and therefore the land he is in (keeping his crown well hidden). If they are friendly then he can seek shelter, if they are unfriendly he can work out which border he needs to head for fast and rob a farmer for the disguise as it probably doesn't matter too much if he upsets them.
dinranwen

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:  

I f5 Jez and everyone else. Make yourself as unobtrusive as possible, find out where you are, and find out if the people are friendly. Based on what you find out, make your decision's from there.

It certaintly wouldn't do well to appear dangerous at first, no matter what. The mages who transported here were probably nice enough to dump you near a convient border, so you may have to travel through a large part of the land and the last thing you need is to travel through a country full of people angry and supsicious of you more than they will any stranger.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:  

We have a few guesses, but we don't really know exactly where Byrold is. I would say take Mr. Mented's plan, then, incognito, try and find your way to the nearest city, where you can work from there.
hewithoutaname

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:  

Well done China.

For what to do, I would say Byrold should stay low and take observation of the village before him. From there he should be able to notice any obvious signs of a threat, or in reverse an ally. As with the crown, I also would say if he does decide to head into the town, it should stay hidden.
Mother Goose

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject:  

Great story, China; always something new!

What about Byrold's magical powers? Is there anything he can do with those to help himself - get in touch with the loyal mages back home, who are probably using all their power to search for him? Or make himself invisible? Or at least conjure up a less conspicuous costume?

Meanwhile, yes, hide the crown and be cautious about approaching the village. Don't attack anybody unless attacked.
OldJoe

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:  

Ah reckon if he could use his magical powers that'd be great. Howevah, it seems he 'aint all that up on those.

Move forad slow like, see if he can gather more intel.
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:  

I'm guessing that these evil mages did not intend for Byrold to run around freely. Wouldn't they transport him to somewhere where they could easily capture him? Why leave him in freedom?

I think that this location was a mistake- that the high mage who was protecting us somehow managed to 'deflect' the transportation, and that he managed to place us somewhere other than where intended.

If the high mages can't find us, that means the evil mages probably can't either. So for now, we're safe, except that we have no protection against the world, no guards or advisors. Byrold v.s the big, bad, everyday world.

Well, the robe is useless if it doesn't keep him warm, and it only attracts attention. Try to keep the crown- it might be useful to prove he really is the king, if he gets back to Yroth. Try to approach someone quietly, on a one on one basis, maybe one of the farmers. Ask them for some regular clothes, a bite to eat, and a place to sleep. For now, he needs to avoid the freezing night Exchange robe, jewels, whatever, for what you need. It might seem strange to them, but they won't ask questions or report it if you promise them more.

The next day, ask for directions, location, transport, etc. Make sure you find out where the hell you are.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:  

First I doubt Byrold is in Iswyle for two reasons. One those were humans riding horses, Karven don't look like men and they'd need some huge horses. Two, Karven don't live in houses. Still if he's in Iswyle approach the people with caution, once they take offense to people it's hard to get them to like you again. But they are very hospitable.

Right first off does Byrold know languages becuase if not then chances are he's not going to be able to communicate with the people. If he does then he can think about communicating.

I say he takes the robe off, surely he's got something on under it, and wrapps the robe around the crown, ties the whole bundle onto the end of his sword and sneaks close enough to listen to the people. If he knows what they're saying it accomplishes two things. One if he knows the language he knows where he is. Two he can start to reason out a plan for barganing with these folk.

If he doesn't then that eliminates the places he could be and he needs to figure out how to communicate his needs. Maybe he puts the robe back on, skews his crown, hides his sword, and pretends to be mad?

That's all I've got for now.
solus.serpen

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:  

Kalanna Rai wrote:
Maybe he puts the robe back on, skews his crown, hides his sword, and pretends to be mad?

:lol: I like that one!

Still, I don't have many Ideas of my own atm. :wacko: little worn out.
I'll come back when I do...

Solus
Smee

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:  

Quote: Karven don't look like men and they'd need some huge horses. Two, Karven don't live in houses. Still if he's in Iswyle approach the people with caution, once they take offense to people it's hard to get them to like you again. But they are very hospitable.

Oooh Kalanna - giving yourself away here I suspect. Or should I call you ..Nimue Lydaris!

Same colour writing, inexplicable extra knowledge of the people of Iswyle....
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:  

More than enough suggestions for a poll methinks.

...and if by magic... :witch:
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:  

Voted.

Went more for the Hitman approach that I suggested.
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject:  

Mmm. A three way tie so far. Anyone care to break it?
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: Rai wrote: Karven don't look like men and they'd need some huge horses. Two, Karven don't live in houses. Still if he's in Iswyle approach the people with caution, once they take offense to people it's hard to get them to like you again. But they are very hospitable.

Oooh Kalanna - giving yourself away here I suspect. Or should I call you ..Nimue Lydaris!

Same colour writing, inexplicable extra knowledge of the people of Iswyle....

And don't forget that the Karven think themselves descended from Dragons, a perfect country from our own Assasin's point of view.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject:  

OOh, kinda close!

I will be starting the next chapter in a few days, so time is running out if you haven't voted.

Plus, don't forget to add this to your favorites! :D
Almar Crowkiller

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:  

Im going with lying low but thats me and maybe im even too late on this so cheers
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:  

Right then. Looks like the quiet approach just took it. Thanks for voting everyone. Poll is closed.

I am starting work on the next chapter. Hopefully up this week. I am a bit behind schedule on this one.
Masterweaver

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:  

Expecting with great anticipation!
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject:  

Next chapter is done, so this thread is being locked down. Thanks for all your input!
:D

Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies
Page 1 of 1