Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 10: The Trap Set for the Shark
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Chapter 10: The Trap Set for the Shark  

The story so far: You are Lodevar, the leader of a rebellion of sheephead slaves against their masters, the Bullroar minotaurs. You have an unusual form compared to most sheepheads, with a small head and no horns. You’ve formed an alliance with the merfolk by agreeing to marry the merking’s daughter, the mermaid Lalomea. With the merfolk’s help you and your people have raided the Bullroars’ coastal towns from your island base. You journey under the sea with the prophet Nelectitus to marry the merking’s daughter and seal the alliance, but at the last minute the merking tells you that Lalomea has left to kill herself, and offers you another mermaid instead. He also offers you command of the merfolk armies guarding your island.

Last Decision: Refuse to marry Siala, then tell the merking that you must find and save Lalomea.

“Your Majesty is generous,” you say, “and nothing would please me more than to accept these gifts. But I have to do what gives us the best chance of victory. I know little of the merfolk army, while Petrosian is an excellent commander, well-versed in your people’s armaments and having the confidence of his captains. So I must decline this honor.

“As for Siala, she is very beautiful and I’m sure would make an excellent mer-wife. But I love Lalomea. I can’t rest without her by side. What you’ve told me…it tears me apart. I have to find her. I can’t marry anyone else.”

The crowd is suddenly quiet. The King frowns at you, saying nothing, and the silence grows uncomfortable. The merfolk shift nervously. You take a quick glance at Nelectitus floating next to you; strangely, he looks relaxed, tilting his head slightly as though curious about something.

Finally the King speaks, beginning in a voice so soft you have to strain to hear him: “You came to me an outcast, begging for my help to save your life. I gave you a home in my domain. I protected you from your enemies.”

The King’s voice grows louder. “For your sake I defied the Bullroars, risking war with a people whom I had nothing against. To advance your cause, I sent tens of thousands of my best soldiers to guard your island.”

Now his voice grows even louder, and the water around him starts to swirl and darken. “When you were threatened by the Emperor himself, who sought to summon the serpent Leviathan, I gave the order to hold fast your defenses. I made you a prince among my people. At my command, thousands of merfolk are ready to die for you.

“And what have I asked in return? Only that you accept these two honors: the command of my army and the hand of my daughter.”

The water swirls around the King like a dark whirlpool, and you can feel the current emanating from him. The crowd draws back. The King’s voice booms out angrily: “And you reject them both! Fool! Do you think I don’t know the merits of my own commanders? Do you think I don’t know which of my daughters would make a better wife? Ingrate! I give you the ocean, and you show me your tail.”

He points his sceptre at you accusingly. “You have spurned my gifts, and so I take them back. I will find a worthier husband for Siala. Command of the army will remain with Petrosian. He will protect you from the Bullroars, which is more than you deserve. Go back to your island and wait for the battle. And as for finding that disobedient little guppy you call your ‘love’…” The King raises his arms and the water swirling around him explodes with a thunderclap as he roars: “…I FORBID IT!”

The force of the water-blast throws you and Nelectitus backwards. Before you can regain your balance you’re surrounded by a mob of merfolk looking fearfully over their shoulders. You hear cracks and booms behind you; you can’t tell whether the King is bellowing in mer-language, or whether it’s some strange underwater storm.

Before you realize what’s happening, the merfolk pull you and Nelectitus up and out of the crevice and into a sea chariot waiting on the sea floor. Two of the merfolk take the reins of the sailfish and swim onto the chariot’s roof; the others yell in mer-language, seeming to urge them on.

Your sea-chariot takes off like an arrow from the ocean floor. You look behind, seeing the beautiful lights of Ulderea darken from the center outward, as though a great storm was spreading over the city. Other sea-chariots are also taking off ahead of the storm, but yours seems to be the fastest.

“So what now?” you say out loud in frustration. You’re on a one-way trip back to Freehome while Lalomea’s dying somewhere. Even if you could turn the sea chariot around, you have no idea where she is.

You hadn’t expected Nelectitus to respond; he’s been so panicked the last few weeks he’s hardly been able to hold a conversation. But he replies, “Hmm…I didn’t think of that.”

“Didn’t think of what?”

“Alienating your allies, throwing away your duty, risking your people’s lives…all for love.”

You sigh. It does sound crazy, but how can you let her die? “Do you think I did the right thing?”

“Right or wrong, who can say? Only the Makers know that. But it might work. It might be a way out.”

“A way out of what?”

He shivers. “The trap set for the shark.”

You remember Nelectitus’ third prophecy: The trap set for the shark catches the bait as well. You never knew what it meant, and he was never able to explain it. “I don’t want to hear about your prophecy right now. I want to know how to find Lalomea. Can you tell me where she is?”

Nelectitus cocks his head, wrinkles his nose, and peers forward into the dark ocean rushing past. “We’re not going the way out,” he says.

“They’re taking us back to Freehome.”

“Not the way out,” repeats Nelectitus. Again he cocks his head, wrinkles his nose, and peers into the dark ocean, but this time slightly to the left of where you’re heading. “That’s the way out.”

You peer into the darkness, seeing nothing. “What’s in that direction?”

His one good eye opens wide. “My eye sees what no eye sees. Follow the path.” And he points again to the left.

“Where does it go? Does it lead to Lalomea?”

He gives you a huge grin. “Out of the trap. Up and out.”

You grab Nelectitus by the shoulders. “I don’t care about your prophecy! She’s going to die unless we find her! Is that where she is?”

Nelectitus grins even wider and he begins speaking excitedly. “Yes! Yes! Follow my eye! Save the mermaid! Defy the King! Get out of the trap!”

You don’t know if he knows what he’s talking about, but he’s your only chance. “All right, let’s go that way.”

You climb out the window. The water inside the chariot is magically still, but as soon as you climb out, you can feel it rushing past you at a terrific speed, the pressure threatening to strip you from the chariot and leave you stranded in the ocean.

Hanging on, you put your hands and head onto the chariot roof, where the two mermen lie. One of them, the driver, is long and lean. His hands are on the reins of the sailfish, and his tail is stretched out behind. The other is bigger and more muscular. His left hand grips one of the many handholds on the chariot and his right holds a silver trident. His eyes scan the sea.

“Change of plan!” you yell. “We need to go that way!” You jerk your head to the left.

The driver looks at you in alarm and pulls on the reins, suddenly slowing the sailfish. A torrent of mer-language erupts from him, none of which you understand, but he makes his point clear by gesturing repeatedly into the chariot. The guard turns toward you but says nothing.

You shake your head and pull yourself all the way onto the roof, keeping your hand on the chariot to keep yourself from floating away. The driver pulls the reins again, slowing the chariot to a stop. The guard swims toward you menacingly. He’s nearly a foot taller than you, and outweighs you by at least fifty pounds. He points his trident at your chest.

You stand your ground. You know they don’t want to kill you. And sure enough, after the guard angrily shakes the trident a few times from what would be a real fighting distance, he moves in to push you off the roof, bringing the trident close.

Too close. You leap at him suddenly, your left hand pushing the trident aside, your right fist driving into his solar plexus. He doubles up, stunned, and you grab the trident with both hands and twist it out of his grasp.

The driver, looking back, suddenly urges on the sailfish, starting the chariot with a jerk. You fall backward, just grasping the back of the chariot before going off the edge. The trident flies out of your hands, disappearing behind you. The water rushes past you faster and faster as the chariot speeds up. The guard, keeping a firm hold on the chariot with one hand, unhooks a javelin fastened to the chariot’s side.

Using muscles strong from hauling iron ore, you pull yourself up onto the chariot, hand over hand. Now you and the guard are both lying on the chariot roof, the water rushing all around, the guard upstream of you. Holding on with one hand, he jabs back at your head and shoulders with his javelin. One slice grazes your back, sending a trail of blood behind you.

Dodging as best you can, you pull yourself closer and suddenly wrap both your arms around his tail. The extra weight throws him off-balance, making him grasp the chariot with both hands and drop the javelin. He jerks to the left and right trying to throw you off, slamming you into the roof. You hold on, pulling yourself up until your legs are wrapped around him, too, and you draw your knife from your belt.

The big merman reaches down and puts his hand around your throat. His grip is like iron around your windpipe. You feel yourself losing consciousness.

With your last strength you drive the knife into his tail and pull down. Blood and fish guts spurt over your knife, your hand, your arm, while the grip around your throat loosens. You let him go and grab hold of the chariot while he falls back, struggling weakly, slipping out of sight into the dark sea.

The driver pulls the reins again, slowing the chariot, and you crouch facing him, bleeding from your shoulder and with the guard’s blood on your knife and hand. “We’re going that way,” you say again, jerking your head to the left. The driver, eyes wide, dives off the chariot, swimming away as fast as his tail will carry him.

With both merfolk gone, you quickly set about learning to drive the strange sea-vehicle. The whip and reins work much like a horse-cart, and once you get the hang of it, the sailfish move at your command as easily as they did for the merfolk. Nelectitus joins you on the chariot roof, and guides you in driving toward “the way out,” as he puts it. It’s a journey of many hours – hundreds of miles at least. You push the sailfish as fast as they will go, not knowing where Lalomea is and when she left to throw herself on land. The magic pearls that allow you to breathe underwater drop off from your necklaces one by one; less than a day is left. You have no idea where you are.

But finally you arrive at land. You bring the sailfish to a stop in shallow water, and you and Nelectitus swim, then walk, onto a deserted beach.

You blink in the bright sunlight, your eyes unused to it after so much time underwater. The island is like a paradise: the beach is white sand with gently rolling surf; inland is a forest of fruit trees and flowers, with songbirds nesting on the branches. Even the seaweed washed up on the beach is pretty: still wet and sparkling green.

The only unsightly thing on the beach is a large dead fish washed ashore, partly covered by seaweed. Nelectitus jabs a finger at it. “Look! Look!”

You move closer, not understanding. Then you pull aside the seaweed and you know. “Lalomea!” you cry. She must have been out here for hours, baking in the sun. Her scales are dry and dull, her skin gray. Your heart is racing. Why couldn’t you have been quicker? You turn her over and pull back her eyelids. Nothing.

You turn to Nelectitus in a panic. “Is she…?” You can’t even say it.

“Take her to the water, quickly!” he says. You lift her onto your back and run for the sea, then lower her in until she’s completely submerged.

As soon as the water touches her, the color returns to her skin. Her scales shine again and her face and hair regain their greenish glow. But her eyes still don’t open.

“Please! Please!” you cry. You look up. “If there are Makers on Earth, please let her live!” And then, strangely, everything seems to grow quiet. The only sound is your own heartbeat. The water is warm and Lalomea rests in your arms just beneath the surface of the sea. Slowly you bend down to her. Your lips touch hers where water touches air, and at that moment she opens her eyes.

A wave crashes over the two of you. You laugh in joy, tears mixing with the seafoam. She’s alive!

Lalomea blinks. “Am I on Earth?”

“No, no, you’re still with me, you’re here on the Wheel.”

“Lodevar? Is it really you?”

“Yes, I’m here, Lalomea. And I won’t leave you again.”

“I had such strange dreams. I dreamed I went up to the stars.”

“You can tell me all about it. We’ve got all the time in the world now.”

Lalomea looks thoughtful. “Time. Time in the world,” she says slowly, as though speaking the words for the first time.

“I just meant that we can be together now. But Lalomea, one thing: please promise me, don’t ever do this again.”

She looks at you and suddenly bursts into tears, holding you as she cries. “Oh, Lodevar,” she says. “You still don’t know?”

“Don’t know what? Why you tried to kill yourself? No, I don’t. Do you want to tell me?”

She wipes her eyes and looks up at you. “I will show you instead. How did you get here?”

“We stole a sailfish chariot.”

“Good. I will drive.”

Minutes later, you and Nelectitus are crouched into the back seat of your chariot, while Lalomea drives it at full speed from the roof. You understand why she wants to drive, since she’s the only one who knows where you’re going, but you don’t know why she insisted that you and Nelectitus stay crouched and hidden below.

It’s a long journey, and Nelectitus is not much of a conversation partner, though at least he seems to be in a better mood now. You count four more beads falling off your necklace.

Then Lalomea warns you again to stay hidden, and the chariot slows up. You hear Lalomea speaking and laughing with other merfolk. For a second you think that she has betrayed you and taken you back to the merking, but you can’t make any sense out of that. Soon the chariot speeds up again and the voices of the merfolk fade away. A few minutes later the chariot stops in shallow water.

Lalomea leads you out of the chariot and up onto an island similar to the island you were just on, slightly rockier but with the same warm climate and white sand. She directs you to a rocky outcropping where you can’t be easily seen, but where you have a long view of the coastline. Then she points hundreds of yards down the shore. “Do you see him?”

You squint. There’s a figure walking along the beach, bending down from time to time to pick something up. Looking for shellfish, maybe, or rocks. It’s hard to tell what race he is from this distance. He has two legs and two arms, but his head is too small for a sheephead or a bullroar.

“Yes,” you say. “Who is he? And what is he?”

“His name is Lewellyn. He is the son of the merking.”

“You mean he’s my brother?”

“No,” Lalomea says. “You were never the son of the merking. That was all a lie, a lie to fool the Emperor.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

Lalomea sighs. “All right. I will say from the beginning.” She looks down and begins speaking in a sad voice.

“Thirty-two years ago was a time of great change. The serpent Leviathan came and attacked Ulderea. The old King Under the Sea couldn’t protect us. My father defeated Leviathan, and so became the new King.

“Near this time, a prophecy told of twelve children, one born to each kingdom of the Wheel. The children would have the form of the Makers. If the children survived, the prophecy said, they would become great Kings and Queens, and make a new Age.

“Lewellyn was the first. He hatched from a mermaid egg, but he was not merfolk. He had a head and upper body like a merman, but the lower body of a sheephead. This is the body of the children: Lewellyn’s body – your body.”

You say nothing, amazed but wanting to hear the rest of the story.

“He nearly drowned at birth, but because of the prophecy the King knew what to expect, and kept him alive while he was taken here, outside the Sea. The King loved Lewellyn more than any of his other sons, and would stop at nothing to keep him safe. Whether that was because of the prophecy or for some other reason, I do not know. They say that a parent’s love is obscure even to the greatest seer.

“The King thought that the Emperor might know of the prophecy, for the Emperor has eyes in many places, many places. And the King knew that the Emperor would see the children as a threat, for a new Age would mean the end of the Empire. So the King kept Lewellyn a secret. He forbade talk of the prophecy to all but a few trusted merfolk, and he kept Lewellyn alone on this remote island. Lewellyn was fed, entertained, and educated by merfolk, but he was never allowed to leave the island, not even to visit the undersea.

“So it went for thirty-two years. The King Under the Sea kept Lewellyn secret and safe, but he was always afraid that the one king greater than he, the immortal Emperor, would discover his secret and kill his child.

“Then, in a strange fate, you came to the Emerald Sea. Anyone who knew the prophecy could tell that you were one of the twelve Kings. And it was obvious to the King which one: the Ram, King of the Sheepheads. But he saw a chance to sow doubt in the Emperor’s mind. And so he built a trap.”

“Yes!” interjects Nelectitus. “The trap set for the shark!”

“He proclaimed you far and wide as his son, making up a story about taking the form of a sheephead to explain your birthplace. He gave you a home on the sea, surrounded by merfolk. He offered you the command of his army. He offered you…the hand of his daughter.” Lalomea’s voice falters.

“All of this was meant to fool the Emperor into thinking that you were born of a merman. The King knew that the Emperor would want you dead in any case. But if the Emperor thought that you were the merman child foretold in the prophecy, he wouldn’t look for another, and Lewellyn would be safe.”

Lalomea looks you in the eye. “For his plan to work, you have to die. He expected the Emperor or the Bullroars to mount an attack, and they’re about to. He’s ordered the merfolk to put up a show, to pretend to fight, but to let most of the Bullroar fleet through. When you’re killed, he thinks that the Emperor will turn his face to other races, and stop looking for the prophesied King of the Merfolk.”

Lalomea puts her head far down now, until she’s almost bowing before you. “I…I was one of the trusted few. I knew about the prophecy. I sang to entertain Lewellyn. I recognized your form on the Mirtis Reefs, and I took the news back to the King. I knew about all these lies from the beginning…” Her voice grows softer. “…and I said nothing.”

She raises her head. “I knew that what my father was doing was evil. But he’s the King. He rules the sea. I couldn’t fight him, couldn’t defy him. I just…I needed to escape. That was why I threw myself on land. I wanted to go to Earth.

“But you saved me, you brought me back. I’m still in the sea, but you’re my King now. Rule me. Tell me what to do. I’ll do whatever you ask, even to die with you.”

You take a deep breath. This is a lot to take in. You look out at the figure on the beach. “Does he know about this?”

“He’s never even been told of the prophecy. Not a word of your existence has been breathed to him.”

“And the merfolk you spoke to on the way here? Who are they?”

“The King’s Guards. All around the island. I told them I was here to sing for him. But Lewellyn is always watched.”

What do you do?

Read the posts below, and click "Post Reply" to post a suggestion for the Lodevar’s next action. Anyone is welcome to post. You can suggest what he would do based on his personality, what you think he should do based on what would be best, or just in general what seems like a good idea to you. Feel free to comment on other’s suggestions, but please be courteous.

You're also welcome to ask questions about Lodevar's background or about the world of the Wheel.
kenshin himura

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject:  

oh! perfection! tis an inspiering chapter. Love, war, secrets.
it is the peek of the mountain, the crem da la crem'.
oh what to do? do you get Lewellyn to join you and tell him of the prophecy? tis blood chilling! oh, and I have the first post! yeah!
Random

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:  

Wow! Absolutely fantastic Keavney! Tell us, did you have as much fun writing that chapter as it feels like you did? :)

My first instinct is to talk with Lewellyn and tell him what is going on. Lodevar's personality is very ramish, blunt, straightforeward, honest. Talk with Lewellyn and get him on your side.

Obviously this isn't a full idea. I have no clue what to do after that. Essentially, you are surrounded by mermen who are not on your side, you are out numbered, and what's worse you have no where to run. We either need to convince the Merking that his plan has no merit, or we need to haul butt off of Freehome and find the mist folk.
Mordok

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject:  

ALL HAIL THE KING!

I thought the last chapter was going to be impossible to top, but you managed to pull it off. Very well done.

Why not have Lalomea talk to Lewellyn while we stay hidden. If we can get him on our side, we will at least have some negotiating tool against the mer-king.

Without that, its going to be very hard to get our people off of Freehome.

Of course, we could just play hardball. Walk right up on land and threaten to kill Lewellyn if the mer-king doesn't arrive soon. When he does, tell him that if he harms Lalomea or fails to protect Freehome that Lewellyn will be killed.

Since only a few people knew of the Mer-kings plans, this allows him to seem still in control, while you really have his clams in a ringer.

You would need to have some supplies and men brought to this island to help, but hey, its an option.
Ravenwing

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject:  

Wonderful, just wonderful. Betrayel, love, treachery, deep secrets. I guess Reiso was right. The merfolk, well the king in particular, were not very trustworthy. This is definitely a climatic chapter. Loved all the twists in this. Now what to do. Threatening to kill Lewellyn to "persuade" the merking to stop his trap doesn't sound that bad. But do you think it is possible to tell Lewellyn the truth, and have him try to persuade his father to not go on with his plan? Or maybe you could go back to Freehome, and continue to let the merking think you're oblivious to his plan, but then win the battle against the Bullroars with the help of the Mistfolk, who unexpectedly decide to assist you? I am thinking that if you bring all twelve of the races together, they will overturn the Emperor together, and begin the New Age that is prophesized. Well those are my thoughts.
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:  

Great, I have enjoyed this chapter more than the others!

Some great inputs from everyone, and I like Morodk's idea, but maybe we should be subtle. How about this:

Lalomea talks to him and tells him the truth, then Lodevar comes to prove her point. Then they have to agree to ally. If he doesn't revert to Mordok's plan. Use his isolation against him:
"Don't you want to see the outside world?"
Then, convince him to show himself, that way, the emperor will know he exists, and the merking won't be able to protct him. Since there is no reason to protect him, Lodevar need not get killed. Then they can work something out between all of them... most likely the merking will agree since he has nothing to lose now. Actually, the chance's are he will agree, since the Emperor will want to kill his son, it's better to be allied with the sheepheads than to be alone.
Smee

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject:  

Stunning chapter :)

I noticed this chapter at 2am, and thought I'd read it tomorrow. Read the first paragraph just to get a taste, and suddenly I was at the end.

Not in an awake enough state to come up with what to do next though.; that'll have to wait.

Goodnight folks. :)
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject:  

Still some hours to bedtime here... Why are you up at 2 a.m, partying?
Ravenwing

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject:  

2am in the morning! Wow, and I thought I was one of the few who could even be awake at 2am. Have a nice rest, Smee.
kenshin himura

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject:  

well I was up all night last night on my sisters ibook in my room ( on this site untill I was disterbed by the buzzer on the stove, you see I was making dog treats for school)
and no sleep for me!
Random

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject:  

That a really good idea D. The Merking would be forced to pick a side. But could you trust him if he is forced to work with you rather than choosing to of his own free will?

I alos like the idea of bringing the races together, starting with the Mist Folk. It's one of the reasons why I suggested going to them now. That would be a bold move though to try and beat the Bullroars on your own.

Hmmm decisions decisions.... :)
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject:  

thanks
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject:  

I am for the idea of bringing the races together. We have only met what, two kings of different races. We have yet to meet Nelectitus's people or the Mistfolk, and whoever else lives in this world.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject:  

Yes, but it is too late for that now, we have to concentrate on winning the battle before we can do that.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject:  

Not really what we have to concentrate on is what to do about this trap, and whether or not we should let the merking's son in on it and have him persuade his father to stop his stupid plan. Or just take the Bullroars head on. Although I would have to agree with on that there is not really much time to make the decision.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject:  

I like my own plan:

expose the merking son so that his father will have to be forced to help us. It will be a forced alliance, but will get us out of this mess. Maybe we can really be a big family after all!
bherman

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject:  

I suggest we somehow make sure the son is near us at all times going forward. The merking will be forced to protect the Ramshead people while protecting his son. Not suggesting taking hostage; but, hopefully once he hears our story, the king's betrayal plan, the way we saved lolome, etc. he will be motivated to come to Freehome to help protect us.
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:  

Well, for my plan we don't need to take hostages...
Mordok

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject:  

If Lewellyn wants to join us, fine. If not, take him as hostage. Its time we had a hand in this game.
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah! You go girl! or...Mordok :D Anyway, let's use my plan, then if not, Mordoks! C'mon, it's almost perfect.
Key

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject:  

OK, great comments everyone. Let's see if I can sort them out. You can:

- Return to Freehome and try to beat the Bullroars on your own, or with the Mistfolk's help if they come.
- Expose Lewellyn's existence to the Emperor, so that the merking will be forced to help you
- Threaten to kill Lewellyn if the merking doesn't protect Freehome
- Tell the truth to Lewellyn and and try to get him to persuade his father to help you
- Try to get Lewellyn to come back to Freehome with you, and if he doesn't agree, take him back as a hostage

Anything I'm missing?

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject:  

There are a few problems with some of these options, nobody seems to have mentioned. How are you going to get Lewellyn off the island? It's surrounded by guards, who are always watching him. Not only that, but like Lodevar, Lewellyn can't breathe under water without the magic beads, and they're running low. Lalomea is accepted by the guards for now, and could talk to Lewellyn, but it won't be long till the news of her defection reaches them, so they don't have time to go back and bring a ship. Threatening Lewellyn doesn't seem practical when there are only the three of them, surrounded by merman guards.

Another thought; Lalomea has sung to Lewellyn too, is it possible he will regard Lodevar as a rival and refuse to cooperate in any way?

This is a tough one. I can't think of any plan I really like!
Mother Goose

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:  

That was me. - Mother Goose
Ravenwing

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject:  

Mother Goose you bring up a few good points. I definitely see the problems with some of the options, but I think it won't hurt to try talking with they guy.
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject:  

Good point mother goose always try to fake out the gaurds with some lies. Oh, by the way Keavney, my idea is to talk to him, so that he will help us and expose himself, then the merking will be forced to help, get it?
Mother Goose

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject:  

Yes, I agree, talking to him is a good idea. Lalomea will have to set it up, in a secluded place. He might be amazed to see someone like himself - I suppose all he's ever seen are merfolk! But to show himself to the world he has to get off the island.
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject:  

Well, Lalomea can just say she's done singing.
Mother Goose

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:  

Good thought about a few well placed lies. She could say the king sent her to bring Lewellyn to court or something. I suppose the guards would want to give them an escort though.
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:  

We could get rid of them easily... don't worry, keavney will take care of that.
Key

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject:  

Do whatever you think is the best action, but don't assume what will happen as a result; you never know. :)
Key

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Voting is up!  

The voting is now up. To vote, go to the next chapter and make your choice. Remember that you must be logged in to vote. Feel free to continue the discussion there. The different options won't change, but you might be able to sway people to choose one or another.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
Page 1 of 1