Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Best Fight scene
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> IFY Awards 2007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Best Fight scene  

Love your Kerpows, Kerplunks, Heeyah's and kerpoweys? This is the Ify for you!

Nominate your Fav fight scene from any SG - may be more than one fight scene per SG!

Must have been posted in 2007.

The nominator must paste the fight scene into the nomination thread for the nomination to count.
Must include SG name and author name...

StoryAuthorChapterNominated BySeconded by
A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo LupilordofthenightChapter SeventeenZephyrMasterMind
Galleons of the StarsKalanna RaiChapter Five/SixThe White BlacksmithLilith
DELETED

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject:  

DELETED
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject:  

Zephyr wrote: Lordy’s A Fronte… couple of chapters ago, the fight between the beast man and Ulliana… excellent combat scene!

To make this a valid nom you need to post the fight scene here.... thanks!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject:  

Quote: With a mighty bellow the beast-lord attacked, swinging the great-axe around to bury itself deep in her midriff. Or it would have, had Ulliana not rolled under the blow, slashing upwards with her blade. For all his size, Kharnre’s reaction time was far greater then she expected, lifting his knee to catch the blow. The razor edge sliced into his flesh, a cut which would have at least impeded, if not crippled any human. The Head-Taker though merely ignored the blow, lashing out with his injured leg and catching Ulliana a glancing blow to the head. Enthral, watching the fight warily, had no doubt a clean blow would have killed the Rakshasa.

The feline sprawled across the ground, blood leaking from the gash to her skull. As the beast-lord reared above her, axe raised, Ulliana kicked out with her right leg, her foot aiming at Kharnre’s upper knee joint. The strike bounced from his thick hide, causing Kharnre to let out a roar of anger, half dropping his axe. Pressing her momentary advantage, the feline lunged upwards with her blade, scoring a slashing would across the Head-Taker’s abdomen.

Bellowing in rage, the beast stamped down on her sword arm, the bones in her arm shattering like glass. Gasping in pain, black spots erupting before her eyes, Ulliana snatched the knife from her boot and plunged forwards, sinking the blade deep inside the beast’s gullet. Snarling in anger, Kharnre jerked backwards sharply, the weapon snapping off at the hilt.

For a brief moment the feline thought she had won, that the beast-lord’s injuries were too severe for him to continue. Roaring in anger, Kharnre knelt down and grabbed Ulliana by the neck, hurling her into the rocky out-crop. Her head slammed against the hard stone, she momentarily blacked out.

Instantly, Enthral’s blades snaked from their scabbards, and he darted forwards to impose himself between Kharnre and the fallen Rakshasa. A howl of anger surged from around the watching beasts, flickers of movement as the herd flowed forwards to engulf the lone Sic’lian. He hurtled himself towards them, intent on cutting down as many as possible before falling himself.

Dashing through them, he cut down the first three beasts who reached him, before his impetuous ran out. Within seconds, the weight of numbers forced him back to the clearing, almost stumbling over Ulliana’s prone body. A harsh guttural bark from behind him caused Enthral to spin around, just in time to parry a blow from the beast who had come forwards with the Head-taker.

Seeing a second challenge issued, the beasts backed away, forming a tight circle around the pair. Both armed with duel blades, they lashed out at each other, sparks flying. While Enthral was clearly the superior swordsman, the beast was stronger, and more resilient than any mortal could hope to be. The Sic’lian scored several small cuts in the creature’s arms and chest, none of which impeded the creature, while the swordsman was already growing weary.

Lashing out in a desperate lunge, one of Enthral’s blades became embedded in the beast’s shoulder, the sword breaking off half-way along from the hilt. The Sic’lian ducked under the return strike, and rammed his broken weapon forwards, the razor edges severing the thick hide protecting the creature’s throat, arterial blood drenching the human. The beast glanced down at the ichor spewing from his gullet, and coughed once in surprise before bringing a meaty cleaver slicing down, separating Enthral’s head from his wiry shoulders. The two warriors collapsed to the floor simultaneously, locked together in death’s embrace.

Ulliana’s eyes had blinked open within moments of sustaining her injury, just in time to see his attempted sacrifice. Still too weak to even move, she was helpless as Lord Kharnre reared up above her, one meaty fist reaching for her, and bludgeoning her thoroughly into oblivion.

You mean this one Zeph? From Chapter Seventeen?
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject:  

I think I shall nominate the fight between Angelo and Jasper, in Galleons chapter 5/6.

Quote: The orphans hustled out of the room and up onto the deck, Jasper and Angelo following close behind. Slowly the spaced themselves on the deck. The slim man's gaze was hard, Jasper's was angery as they faced off against each other. Then Jasper leaped forward...and hit the deck hard on his back as Angelo's shoulder slammed into him. The elegant cutless went flying and Jasper felt the heavy weight of Angelo's sword tip resting on his Adam's apple.

"Now I'm not exactly drunk at the moment mate and I'm not exactly sober. Had I been either this might have gone differently. Now you've got a choice ahead of you. You can shut up and be part of this crew...or I can let The Muse live up to her name. Promises to your father be damned."

For a moment Jasper considered utter defiance, spitting into the slim man's face or something else rebellious and utterly foolish. But some part of him pointed out with dry reason that if he died, Jade would most likely follow him. So instead he averted his eyes and swollowed his pride. "I yeild."

Angelo pulled back the point of his sword and drew back enough for Jasper to stand. He accepted the bottle from Saul, who'd brought it along just in case, took a long pull, then walked over to where the cutless lay on the deck. Using his foot he flipped it up into his free hand, then hurled it in Jasper's direction. Somehow the youth managed to pluck it ackwardly out of the air. He looked at Angelo as the slim man returned to his battle ready position.

"No, you don't yeild. I can tell that just from the way you said it. Your opinon hasn't changed one damn bit. So come on, take another shot. I've got nothing but time mate and you've got nowhere to go."

Jasper's fury burned within him and his grip clenched tighter on the sword. He wanted nothing more than to show Angelo that he was wrong, that Jasper wasn't just some half-assed punk. The trouble was, that rational little voice in the back of his head was telling him he was just that. It was replaying the events of the past two days for him, pointing out with flawless clarity that he'd been acting like an ass. But it was too late to say sorry.

As the tension mounted Jasper realized it was a do or die moment. Across the way from him Angelo was watching the young man's eternal struggle with mild amusement. Red had been the same wall, all hellfire and pride without much planning to back it up. Angelo could only hope to smarted this boy up faster than he had his father. Knowledge hadn't come to Red until it was too late.

Suddenly the breaking point was reached...something had to give.

And then, in chapter 6...

Quote: Jasper lunged at the slim man, sensing speed was of the essence. If he was going to beat Angelo, he needed to do it by using rapid blows and catching him off guard. Throwing faints coupled with lightning quick strikes...that was the ticket. It was a good plan yet Jasper realized it didn't have a hope of working as he picked himself up off the deck. He hadn't even seen the blow coming, Angelo didn't seem to have moved. "Wha..."

That was as far as he got before Angelo advanced, causing Jasper to scramble to his feet and bring his blade up barely in time to parry the single handed swing the slim man doled out to him. The jarring force of the impact numbed his hand and sent shockwaves down his arm that rattled his teeth and loosened the roots of his hair. Taking into consideration the total off-hand manner with which the blow had been delivered, Jasper was forced to reevaluate the situation. His chances had just gone from slim...to none.

From a few feet away Angelo shook his head. "So this is the best the next generation can do? A half hearted attempt to stick me that my grandmother would laugh at? I'm not even sweating mate."

Jasper shook his sword hand, flexing his fingers until feeling was restored. He ground his teeth at the insults. Dammit, he still had his pride! He wasn't a quitter! Just like that his anger sparked and his temper came loose. He felt Jade trying to restrain it, to drain it away, and that only made it worse. Leave it! I always fight better pissed!

You always fight wilder when angry. Jasper, your fury is a weapon...but not when used like this! This...this is like using anger as a club, all blunt force and no finesse and you already know finesse is the only thing that will... He cut Jade off with a snarl and hurled himself back at Angelo. With a yawn the slim man locked blades with Jasper, an elegant twist of his wrist trapping Jasper's blade between the blade of his sword and it's massive guards. One good twist and the cutlass would shatter like glass.

Jasper strained with all his might but Angelo wouldn't let him break the lock. "Look at me boy." The firey eyes of the youth and the cold steel grey eyes of the slim man locked. "This cutlass is very old and very dear. I would not break it were it my only option. Yet never have I ever seen it treated so!"

"Then why let me touch it at all? Why not just give me some old and battered blade ready for the scrap heap instead of one of your precious treasures?"

"You fool! That blade wasn't made for my hand! It doesn't follow my commands, make my strokes, or speak to my heart. It doesn't sing for me or call to me or shift it's balance so that I'm never off center no matter how wild the swing! Yet even though it does all these things for you...you treat it as if it were nothing more than some old, battered relic!" Angelo pushed harder, shoving Jasper back despite all he could do.

Angelo's tirade continued. "That blade is kept with my collection because I wanted it kept safe for the son of the man it had chosen! The heir apparent to it's talents! That's right boy...it's your Father's own blade your misusing. It chose you as I knew it would...yet more proof you are the son of the man I knew. Yet it also proves that you are nothing like him."

With a sudden shove Angelo sent Jasper reeling back and started hammering him with massive, bone-snapping blows using the flat of his huge sword. Each word he said was hammered home, litterally, a blow landing each time he spoke. "You. Are. A. Disgrace!" He spun as Jasper swiped a feeble blow at him, his next blow landing twice as hard. "You. Could. Not. Weild. A. Blade. Had. You. Been. Shown. From. Birth!" He dodged back as Jasper aimed a kick at him, his blows landing hard from overhead. "Were. It. Up. To. Me..." he stopped and again locked blades with Jasper, his face coming close to the boy's ear, his voice a harsh whisper as he spoke again.

"Were it up to me...I'd find another son."

From somewhere deep inside the Rage poured forth again, bringing new energy to Jasper. He stood for a few moments, biting his lip until he had the pain under control. Angelo, meanwhile, walked over to where the other five orphans were standing. He grinned at Saul and neatly plucked the bottle from his hand. Saluting the young boy with it, he grinned again. "Time to give your friend a chance mate."

With that he downed the entire bottle, tossing the empty over the side. Then he whipped his massive blade around, staggering a bit as the drink set in. He held the weapon out to Saul. "Here...hold this for me." He dropped it into the boy's outstreached hands, ignoring the thud that followed as the blade's weight, or maybe it's perverse personality, dragged Saul to the deck. Staggering back till he was only five feet from Jasper, Angelo lurched to a stop. "Alright. I'm drunk and unarmed...that's as fair as it's going to get boy."

Looking up Jasper spied an opening. Shoving his pain down deep he moved forward...only to be surprised as Angelo sort of tilted to the side, grabbed the wrist of the had that held his blade, and slapped him hard across the face. The battle disintigrated from there into a series of wild thrusts and wavering blows and near misses and rude gestures. Somehow, by sheer luck it seemed at the best of times, Angelo always managed to avoid the blows. He struck back as well...often missing what looked like his initial blow and landing a 'mistaken' knee or elbow that was always followed up by a 'sorry mate'.

Finally Jasper scored blood. Feinting with a fist he whipped his blade back around and managed to cut Angelo along the cheek. Just a scratch but the slim man raised a trembling hand too it. At the sight of his own blood...the booze haze was gone and the sober Steel was back. All buisness now, Angelo reached out and siezed Jasper by the throat before hurling him across the deck. Utterly exhausted, his reserves and anger spent, Jasper could do little more than drag himself to his feet as Angelo stalked back over.

"You cut my face. You selfish little bastard! I havn't hit you in the face yet and I'm not going to. Everyone says facial scars look cool. Tough and sinister! Pah! All they do is make you squint and make the wenchs less forthcoming. Trust me...I know." Sezing Jasper as he took a seat on the railing he deftly sent the youth sprawling across his knees. "Normally I'd flog a man for that...but nothing I've seen today suggests you're a man. This is a much more fitting punishmet." With that he delivered seven hard blows to the seat of Jaspers trousers and a cuff to the head before tossing the now limp youth over to the feet of his friends.

It was only then Angelo noticed Jade had collapsed, blood trickling from her nose and the corners of her mouth...livid bruises rising in the same places as Jasper's. "Oh s***. I should really have seen that coming. Quickly...bring them this way." Picking up his blade, which a stubborn Saul was still valiantly struggling to lift, he vanished into the shadowed hatchway. With Jade in Ambroise's arms and Jasper over Donovan's shoulder, the party quickly descended into the ship's passages, following Angelo.

There. Somewhat long, but the best fight scene I've read on If.
DELETED

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject:  

DELETED
Mastermind

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject:  

I'll second the Fronte scene.
Lilith

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:  

And I'll second the fight scene from Galleons where Jasper gets his ass handed to him by Angelo. Nice work Rai!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject:  

voting is open!

Storygames Home -> IFY Awards 2007
Page 1 of 1