Grim Reaping : Chapter One
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Grim Reaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashkent

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Grim Reaping : Chapter One  

Chapter One.

Folk are funny.

This is a fact I can confirm after many years of studying humankind. I do not mean this in such a way that would lead to moments of jovial laughter; more that they are peculiar and decidedly odd in the grand scheme of things.

It is the oddness of humans that has led to this document you hold in your hand now, or maybe it is only resting in your lap, perhaps even levitating by some superior power of the mortal mind. In any sense, it is the document you are reading.

I like to call it The Reaper Diaries. Quite catchy, even if I do say so myself.

Yes, the words flowing through your mind are direct from my own skeletal hand, written in the ink of midnight and published at very reasonable rates for a substantial author’s fee. Anyone can be an author it seems; as long as you have a story to tell.

As you can image, being Death since the Business of Life was founded by Johnny B God so many millennia ago has bestowed an abundance of tales upon me. Apparently the demographics of my audience is quite substantial, although I would be inclined to believe that every living being is my audience at one moment in time. The only problem I have is what off Earth I am meant to do with all the money?

I have been advised by my agent not to bother with a long, tedious introduction to myself. Why anyone would find such an introduction tedious I do not know. It is true that everyone knows who I am, but there are few who know about me. I am sure many would find my existence an interesting topic, but I have been told I must stick to the contract. I am usually the one handing the contracts out, not abiding by them. I will catch on to the notion in time.

I think I would like you to call me Grim; it is my name after all. Some people call me Death, but that is simply what I do. Some people believe death just happens but it is not quite as simple as that. It requires precise planning and execution, no pun intended, to run smoothly; although having power over time does prove to be a great advantage. It comes in very handy when attempting to get from one side of the world to the other. All in all though, death is simply a lot of paperwork. This is something else my agent has warned me from detailing too much. On that I do agree, even to someone with eternity on their immortal hands, there are more important things to be done.

Now, where to begin. I must confess that have never been good with beginnings. Endings tend to be much more my comfort zone. Is it not true, however, that the end is always a matter of perspective and opinion? I certainly never see the end as the final word.

I think I know where to begin.

Death; a predictable choice some cretins will no doubt point out.

Unlike some people believe, I do not have a room stocked full of hourglasses counting down to the demise of every being alive in the galaxy. All I have, and require, is my list.

It is not anything special, just one short list that has been with me from the beginning of time.

I know what you are thinking. How can I have had just one list? That is easy; same list, different names. People die and their names all add to my list. I collect their souls, issue them a visa to Heaven or Hell, and they fall off my list into the life everlasting.

It all sounds simple, I know. Even as an immortal though, I can make mistakes. The only difference between the mistakes I make compared to those of human origin are that mine can have a significantly more devastating effect on Life and my mistakes are with me for the rest of eternity.

Let me tell you about one such mistake. Humans are forever losing things; car keys, senses, virginity, heads. The living are quite careless when you take time to think about it. I, on the other hand, have a well organised existence; I should not forget things. It seems working with humans has its disadvantages – I have picked up the odd trait here and there.

Thanks to the human curse of losing things, I misplaced my list.

Oh, and the story does begin with a death.

Gravesides are always associated with death.

I have found this association odd for many, many years. Very few people have actually died at gravesides and there are usually a number of days pass between the collection of a soul and the empty corpse being plopped into the earth to feed the insects.

Despite the irregular nature of such occasions, on this day I found myself in a small graveyard for a collection. I arrived a moment or two early, so found time to admire the clean-cut grass and the well kept borders around me. Humans puzzle me at times, allowing their own gardens grow into monstrous jungles while ensuring their corpse gardens remain neat and beautiful.

The only thing marring the tranquil sight was the great heap of fresh earth and the gentle chish chish of someone digging. I had found my collection.

According to the list he was 65 years old and had already suffered two minor heart attacks. It makes one wonder why he was standing in a graveyard in the heat of summer digging a grave. I suppose some people don’t know when to take it easy. Well, not until they end up as another addition to my list then they have little choice in the matter.

I took a gentle stroll over to the side of the hole, arriving in time to hear a wheezing voice say “Buggerit!”

The thing I like about this business is I have little that can really cause me exertion. Take for example the moment I had before me; the recently deceased six feet in the ground already and I standing high above on the lip of the grave. You may think I needed to hop down into the hole, but it was as simple as bending over and hooking the soul up with my scythe.

“Hey,” the recently deceased protested. “What’s this about? Gerroff. What’cha doing?”

Sometimes the old ones are the worst, full of energy that their aged body would not allow them to release while alive. It reminded me of having a swarm of bees in a matchbox then opening it. Nothing more than a sudden release of chaos.

“I would suggest you calm down a little or you’ll –” I paused, thinking of how I could possible end the sentence. “– or you’ll…erm…not get your visa.”

My voice seemed as weak as the ending, but it somehow had the desired effect. The old spirit stopped thrashing, although it was more in confusion than following an order.

He looked me up and down, squinting occasionally, chewing on something even though his mouth seemed empty.

“You look ill, mate,” he said without so much as a hint of irony.

Even before I entered into the conversation, I knew it was going to be a long day.

So what in depth conversation does Grim have with the recently deceased gravedigger
Masterweaver

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:  

Interestingo. I will watch.

I would suggest our grim companion query into the nature of the family in an awkward way. Just as an intro. The gravedigger will of course say they are fine. There will be a moment of silence. Then the gravedigger starts asking the philosophical questions...
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:  

Welcome to IF, ashkent.

A good read, that was!

Hmm, for the decision point I was going to say perhaps if he knew who the man had been digging the grave for - if he's misplaced his list. But he says 'according to the list' so perhaps he hasn't lost the list yet.

I guess that doesn't stop him from asking who the grave is for though... so, yeah, start by asking who's grave it was.

Looking forward to reading more!

:D
ashkent

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject:  

Masterweaver wrote: Interestingo. I will watch.

I would suggest our grim companion query into the nature of the family in an awkward way. Just as an intro. The gravedigger will of course say they are fine. There will be a moment of silence. Then the gravedigger starts asking the philosophical questions...

I can see those philosophical questions marching over the hill. I like it. See what other options we have...
Masterweaver

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject:  

How about the gravedigger runs for his life?

Despite the fact he's dead?
ashkent

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: Welcome to IF, ashkent.

A good read, that was!

Hmm, for the decision point I was going to say perhaps if he knew who the man had been digging the grave for - if he's misplaced his list. But he says 'according to the list' so perhaps he hasn't lost the list yet.

I guess that doesn't stop him from asking who the grave is for though... so, yeah, start by asking who's grave it was.

Looking forward to reading more!

:D

Thanks, it's good to be here. This is the third site for interactive stories that I've tried and it seems that people do actually post and respond on this one so hopefully i'll stick around.

And you were right...he hasn't lost the list yet, but as the grave is being dug, then the deceased it was being dug for will have been dead a few days so I think that is a plausible question for the master of death to ask.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject:  

Wooo! Another excellent new SGame! :D

Nice start there Ask. Mmmm. I dunno about an in-depth conversation, but how about this guy says it's a mistake. He knows because he died before like this and 'They' sent him back and told him exactly when and where he was going to die, and this isn't it.

To advertise your SGame I would recommend sticking a link in your sig (go to profiles). Also if you play some current SGames on the site, people tend to reciprocate, though a well written tale will attract followers.

Look forward to more, and welcome to IF!
ashkent

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject:  

Chinaren wrote: Wooo! Another excellent new SGame! :D

Nice start there Ask. Mmmm. I dunno about an in-depth conversation, but how about this guy says it's a mistake. He knows because he died before like this and 'They' sent him back and told him exactly when and where he was going to die, and this isn't it.

To advertise your SGame I would recommend sticking a link in your sig (go to profiles). Also if you play some current SGames on the site, people tend to reciprocate, though a well written tale will attract followers.

Look forward to more, and welcome to IF!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping i get time to play a few of the games on here...whenever i can manage to find a few minutes spare somewhere anyway.

And that's another good idea to add to the list.
Lilith

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject:  

*wanders in with a wink* I like it.

It's a new view on death.... (hush Chinaren!) And I love the funny little quips like "where OFF Earth" and little things twisted around to make sense but still stand out and be funny.

And I like China's idea... except the fact that the old guy is lying.. but Death believes him and let's the old man go... thus messing up the order of people dying and when Death finally realizes this, he cannot find the old man to fix it, which leads Death into a reprimanding by his/her/its boss and stripping of "deathly duties".. Sometime after which Death (as human form now) could bump into old dude once more and have to make a decision on whether to turn old dude over and get his job back,.. or let him go and enjoy blissful ignorance,...... along with "the sinful pleasures of the flesh".. you know like chocolate and such... NOT THAT YOU SICK PERVS!

*hook comes out of nowhere, grabs Lily by neck and snags her out still rambling*

*sticks head back in once more*

Btw, Welcome to IF! We are happy to have you!

*is dragged out once more* AGH!
solus.serpen

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:  

:D Very good!

I'm actually really glad that I read this; just the sort of lift I needed. It's great to see that there is still new talent out there. ;)

As to what the conversation should be...hmm, I have to agree with China and Lilith on that front. It would definitely be interesting anyway.

As an aside - Hello and Welcome to IF, Ash. :D It's good to see a new face, and hopefully I'll see you more around the site.
Oh! As an afterthought...have you introduced yourself yet?
If not, just post a quick hello in this thread:Welcome to City of IF! *Newbies only*.

Have fun around the site,

~Solus ;)
ashkent

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject:  

Lilith wrote: *wanders in with a wink* I like it.

It's a new view on death.... (hush Chinaren!) And I love the funny little quips like "where OFF Earth" and little things twisted around to make sense but still stand out and be funny.

And I like China's idea... except the fact that the old guy is lying.. but Death believes him and let's the old man go... thus messing up the order of people dying and when Death finally realizes this, he cannot find the old man to fix it, which leads Death into a reprimanding by his/her/its boss and stripping of "deathly duties".. Sometime after which Death (as human form now) could bump into old dude once more and have to make a decision on whether to turn old dude over and get his job back,.. or let him go and enjoy blissful ignorance,...... along with "the sinful pleasures of the flesh".. you know like chocolate and such... NOT THAT YOU SICK PERVS!

*hook comes out of nowhere, grabs Lily by neck and snags her out still rambling*

*sticks head back in once more*

Btw, Welcome to IF! We are happy to have you!

*is dragged out once more* AGH!

Thanks for the welcome.

Hmm, Death in human form...intersting. We shall see soon if this is the path we take.
ashkent

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:  

solus.serpen wrote: :D Very good!

I'm actually really glad that I read this; just the sort of lift I needed. It's great to see that there is still new talent out there. ;)

As to what the conversation should be...hmm, I have to agree with China and Lilith on that front. It would definitely be interesting anyway.

As an aside - Hello and Welcome to IF, Ash. :D It's good to see a new face, and hopefully I'll see you more around the site.
Oh! As an afterthought...have you introduced yourself yet?
If not, just post a quick hello in this thread:Welcome to City of IF! *Newbies only*.

Have fun around the site,

~Solus ;)

Thanks for the welcome. I will go over there and post a quick hello. I have a linear story that I am going to post on the site too. I'm sure you'll see me around.
Syranore

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject:  

Interesting read. I agree with Chinaren and Lilith. Trick Death into giving him back life. Or perhaps you might somehow give the man an opportunity to steal the list and make a run for it. By the time Grim catches the man, he might have lost or hidden the list.

Also, if you want some awesome books that have an interesting perspective on the Grim Reaper, check out Terry Pratchet's Discworld series.
ashkent

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject:  

Syranore wrote: Interesting read. I agree with Chinaren and Lilith. Trick Death into giving him back life. Or perhaps you might somehow give the man an opportunity to steal the list and make a run for it. By the time Grim catches the man, he might have lost or hidden the list.

Also, if you want some awesome books that have an interesting perspective on the Grim Reaper, check out Terry Pratchet's Discworld series.

Well, I don't think I'm even going to poll this. Looks like the polling has been unoffically done anyways :D
I'm away for the next few days, so maybe i'll get some of the next chapter done then.

Oh and I think it was possibly Death of the Discworld that way back when made me think...has anyone done a series with the Reaper as the lead? Also I had an idea about Death doing an American Idol/Pop Idol type show (I've already written quite a bit of that one).
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject:  

You should do a poll for it even so Ask. It's amazing how many times voting goes differently to the comments.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: I would suggest you calm down a little or you’ll –” I paused, thinking of how I could possible end the sentence. “– or you’ll…erm…not get your visa.”

My voice seemed as weak as the ending, but it somehow had the desired effect.

This seems strange. Wouldn't Grim be experienced in dealing with the old spirits? If Grim has a metaphor for old spirits (bees and matchbox) then it is likely that Grim is also used to dealing with them! Also, it is difficult for me to envision the Grim Reaper with a weak voice, not only because of my preconceived notions, but because the tone of the narrator throughout the passage implies that he/she/it is a decisive character. Well, Grim does say this:

Quote: It seems working with humans has its disadvantages – I have picked up the odd trait here and there.

But it doesn't seem reasonable that a Reaper, experienced in his art by more than a millenium, would appear weak in front of an old spirit.

Anyway, sorry to be nitpicky; it was a good chapter, and I enjoyed it. It reminded me of a book I once read by a portuguese writer. Inside this tale, Death became a woman and fell in love with this man whom Death was supposed to kill, but didn't because of a loophole. Also, Death got tired of people's complaints about dying, so It began sending people letters of warning before they died. I enjoyed that book very much, actually. It is called: The Intermittencies of Death, by Jose Saramago (Nobel Prize winner). Or at least, that's what I think the English title is. I read it in Spanish, and in that language it is called: Las Intermitencias de la Muerte.

As for the DP: The old man pleads to see his wife one last time. Or maybe he asks for a favor. In any case, I like Chinaren's idea.

oh, and Welcome to IF. ;)

EDIT: I had a chuckle over your sherlock holmes parody as well.
Player of Fates

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject:  

I so far am a avid reader of this, even thoughts its only, like, one chapter. But still, it kicked ass even though it had a lack of action. It had a flow to it. Can't wait for more. I do agree with D's points though.
Mephistopheles

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject:  

Finally read up on this one, and wonder why i neglected to read it earlier. Nicely done Ask.

I do have to agree with D about death having such a lame response for something that he has had to have endured many times over by now. I enjoy the tale very much though, and eagerly await seeing the next chappy. oh, and i would hold a poll, as Chinaren stated, before you write the next chappy. :) you don't want the SS on you!
ashkent

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject:  

Well I've tried for about an hour to get the poll right but it just doesn't want to. This is as right as I can get it. First there were two of all the options, thenone of some and two of others. Just ignore the last option, unless anyone has any ideas how to get rid of the duplicate...it doesn't appear when I am in the middle of editting, only once i've posted.
ashkent

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: EDIT: I had a chuckle over your sherlock holmes parody as well.

It was probably my favourite of the Tales written up to that time...the only problem was it kind of set a new standard for what the future entries should look like. I suppose there are worse burdens to carry.

Thanks for scooting across to have a look at that.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject:  

Something's odd with this poll. I just voted, but it came back with the poll options again as if I hadn't voted. However when I clicked on 'view results', it showed that my vote had been registered. (and someone elses) For some reason no names are appearing as 'who voted'.

It's probably just a blip in the system.

So when you vote, folks, check on View Results before and after you vote, to make sure your vote got registered. So far there are 2 votes (including mine)

And BTW Ashkent you can write a letter for me any time! Brilliant! :laf:
ashkent

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: And BTW Ashkent you can write a letter for me any time! Brilliant! :laf:

Again the inspiration for the letter came from Spike Milligan...some of the letters he wrote to the government and utilities companies were pure genius... This was just my humble attempt at saying what needed to be said in most reader-friendly way possible :P
solus.serpen

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject:  

I voted for the truthful mistake option. Not quite sure what is happening with the Poll so I thought I'd mention my vote here.

~Solus ;)
The Dark

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject:  

The Dark is enjoying this tale, which has a suitably grim topic. The Dark's vote has been cast, and has created a four way tie.

So it goes.
Cyberworm

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject:  

Excuse me, I've just voted in the poll for the option

The Gravedigger attempts to escape despite being dead?

but when I looked at the results, it showed me that both the option I clicked and the option

Grim enquires about whose grave it is the Gravedigger was digging?

got a point.

Strange, huh?

Anyways, very good. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

:rock:
Masterweaver

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject:  

Total votes sixteen but only six voters?

We have a vote glitch, I'm calling the repair crew. Head Eater!
ashkent

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject:  

Masterweaver wrote: Total votes sixteen but only six voters?

We have a vote glitch, I'm calling the repair crew. Head Eater!

If anyone knows what's up with this poll or how to solve the problems then do feel free to stick an oar or two in. I can't cope!!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject:  

It happens very occasionally, it is just unfortunate it happened on your first poll!

For some reason it is not registering everybody who voted, but the important thing is that it is registering their votes.

:)

It looks like you have a tie between two options at the moment. You can either wait for someone to break the tie, combine the two options, or decide which one you're going to go for yourself.
ashkent

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: It happens very occasionally, it is just unfortunate it happened on your first poll!

For some reason it is not registering everybody who voted, but the important thing is that it is registering their votes.

It looks like you have a tie between two options at the moment. You can either wait for someone to break the tie, combine the two options, or decide which one you're going to go for yourself.

Well I put the poll on for five days which ends tomorrow, so I'll see if anyone has broken it by then...or made it worse by two people voting for one of the other options...and see where we go from there.
ashkent

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject:  

I'll close the poll on this one at midnight (my time) tonight. If no one has broken the deadlock by then I will combine the joint winners in the next chapter.
Masterweaver

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject:  

I think the poll's frozen.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject:  

*checks the poll*

It was set for 5 days, and it has just run out, by the looks of things.

ashkent

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject:  

Masterweaver wrote: I think the poll's frozen.

Yeah, thinking about it I'm guessing the five days ran out this afternoon...I thought it might be at the end of the day. Well, joint winner it is.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:  

20 votes!

Wow...

*pictures 20 people waiting for next chapter* :D

No pressure, of course. :P
ashkent

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: 20 votes!

Wow...

*pictures 20 people waiting for next chapter* :D

No pressure, of course. :P

Yes there are 20 people waiting...but some of them seem to occupy the same body. I think it could be closer to 10 with the poll problems.

And pressure? Never heard of that.

*stretches over desk and fingers dusty spine. Moves girlfriend out of the way to get to the dictionary behind her. Looks up pressure*

Oh, so that's what it is. Sounds like too much effort, I'll just remain calm and composed. :D
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject:  

yeah i just read this and its totally my scene!

well written - great grammar and spelling! (sorry just had to add that!)

so i missed the voting but i await the next chapters keenly.
Bookwizard

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject:  

Well I just started to read this, and I believe that I will catch up to the current chapter soon. Its funny and entertaining already, I look forward to more.

Storygames Home -> Grim Reaping
Page 1 of 1