Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Wrath chapter 13 - Follow the Clown.
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Wrath
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Wrath chapter 13 - Follow the Clown.  

Chapter 13 – Follow the Clown.

Starring, in no particular order:

Lord of the Night as Mr. Night.
Never and Solus as half the Twins each.
Harley as The yellow Biker Fairy.
Algu as Algu the Amusing.
Fats Masterdon as the blowup cat.

Lebrenth as Lebrenth the zombie.
Masterweaver as the Spider.

Kalanna Rai as the model assassin.
Crossfire as the mysterious figure.

”What is it?” asked Harley, pulling out a needle and some thread.

A thin black leg appeared over the edge of the box, followed by several others as a shape the size of a mans’ hand emerged. The black body was typical for an arachnid, though Lord wasn’t sure of the species. A pair of Nasty looking mandibles waved about on the head, and the abdomen bobbed up and down as eight small yellow eyes took in the scene.

“Where is my master?” The voice was smooth and low, barely audible in fact.

“He, ah, he’s lost actually. We’re trying to find him. Yes, that’s it. Any idea where he might be?” Lord of the Night raised an eyebrow and tried not to flinch as the giant spider scuttled onto his arm.

“I don’t believe you. Tell me where he is or face my wrath!”

Lord put another hand up, moving slowly so as not to unnerve his new friend. “Now now, there’s no need to be like that. I’ll co-operate.”

“Very good. Speak.”

“I’ll do better than that,” Lord of the Night said, standing up. “I’ll show you on the map. It’s just over here.” He gestured at a table in the small dining area, simultaneously giving a small shake of the head to the others in the room.

“I see no map,” hissed the spider.

“Well, it’s in a drawer. Wait here, I’ll show you.” He placed the spider on the tabletop and turned around to rummage in a drawer nearby. “Now, where is it? Oh yes…”

Moving in a blur, the half-demon swung round and slammed down the large glass bowl upside down over the arachnid, trapping it beneath.

“What isss thisss?” screamed Masterweaver, its low voice muffled by the tupperware.

Keeping his hand on top of the bowl, Lord of the Night squatted down so his face was level to the spiders. “Surprise,” he said evenly.

“Let me out! I’ll bite your neck!” the enraged spider cried, scrabbling ineffectually at the glass.

“Oh, well if you put it that way…” Lord rolled his eyes. “Now then, you are going to give me some information on your master.”

“I shall not speak.”

“If you don’t cooperate, I’ve a big can of Raid somewhere.”

“I will not betray the mighty Algu!”

“You’re going about this all wrong,” said Harley, taking a break from her needlework for a moment and walking over, leaving Never/Solus half stitched. “When I was young I used to like playing with spiders.” She examined the creature.

“You did?” Masterweavers’ muffled voice replied cautiously.

“Oh yes. I’d pull their legs off one by one, and then fry the body under a magnifying glass.”

“You wouldn’t!”

The fairy smiled.

>

“What are you doing?” The mysterious entity who called himself Crossfire appeared from nowhere a few paces behind the prone Rai. “I thought you were supposed to be taking him out, not ogling him.”

The model-assassin snarled. “I’ll do things my way, thank-you very much.” She returned to gazing through the scope of a rather wicked looking high powered rifle.

Crossfire peered over the edge of the roof, his face, if he had one, remained invisible within his hood. Down below, sat on an old barrel in a rather dirty alleyway was a clown, or at least someone dressed like one. He seemed to be moping.
“He raised a ton of undead last night,” the model said. “Killed a whole bunch of firefighters and others as well. You had to admire the body count.” She centered the crosshairs on the clowns head, but her finger remained off the trigger. “Who is he?”

“Do you need to know? Just kill him already.”

Rai’s finger twitched, but then settled back again. “I don’t know. It seems a shame. I mean look at him.”

“I am looking at him,” Crossfire replied. Exasperation tinged his voice. “The problem is, I’m not looking at his corpse. The special ammunition I gave you should be up to the job, why don’t you just do it already? We had an agreement.” He crossed his arms and tapped his foot, which was hovering slightly above roof level, in thin air.

“Agreements can be changed,” Rai said. “You didn’t answer my question. Who is he?”

Crossfire sighed, and probably rolled his eyes too, if he had any. “If you must know, he’s an ancient being of great power. His current clown-like appearance is a curse bestowed upon him by an enemy with a rather strange sense of humor. He’s at least five thousand years old, as far as I recall.”

“And you want him dead why?”

“For personal reasons!” Crossfire stamped his foot. “Are you going to do it or aren’t you? I’ve better things to do than hang around here arguing.”

Rai glanced up at him, and then took another look through her scope. The clown was swinging his legs, his heels banging on the drum, creating a booming rhythm. She sighed and put her rifle to one side.

“No.”

“No?”

“No.”

“No?!?!”

“No!!”

“Why?”

The assassin shrugged. “I don’t know. I kind of like him. He’s cute, in a monstrous sort of way.”

“He must be taken out of the picture!” Crossfire exclaimed.

“Find another way then,” Rai said, unscrewing the barrel to her gun.

Crossfire raised a finger and seemed about to say something, but stopped suddenly. “Maybe there is another way,” he said, and made a gesture with his hand. A piece of paper appeared in his fingers. He passed it to Rai, who glanced at it before putting it down next to her.

“Go to that address. If we have the person there in our employ, we may be able to dictate terms to him. Understand?”

“No. You want me to take the person prisoner?” asked Rai.

“Something slightly more subtle,” Crossfire replied. “The person is a mercenary, perhaps you can hire them as a bodyguard.”

“Me?” Rai looked up at him. “You want me to hire a bodyguard?”

“Only for appearances.”

Rai sighed. “Very well then.”

“Good.” Crossfire nodded and then disappeared with a pop.

The assassin shook her head slightly and continued dismantling the rifle.

Below, the clown seemed to be chuckling to himself.

>

“Oowowowoowww! You bitch! Okay, I’ll talk, I’ll talk! You’ll find him in the Graveyard!”

Harley smiled. “I’m glad you’ve seen reason. Which graveyard?”

“Big City Cemetery,” replied Masterweaver, his voice tinged with pain. He hissed and wiggled his remaining five legs about. Two others were discarded rather carelessly to one side, whilst one more was in Harley’s hand. He was lying on his back, stuck to the table with tape.

“Now you’ve had your fun, can you get back to sewing us together?” asked Never, from where she and Solus were still sitting on the couch. A needle dangled from a thread attached to her nose, which was as far as Harley had got before being distracted.

Lord of the Night smiled and stepped forward again as the fairy resumed her task. He leaned closer and addressed the spider. “See? That wasn’t hard was it? And you can probably still walk and everything.”

“Fuck you,” said the arachnid as the half demon pulled the tape away.

“That’s not nice,” Lord replied. “Now, don’t do anything stupid, or it’ll be the underside of my shoe for you, and I don’t want to do that because I like these shoes and I’ve just had them cleaned.”

Masterweaver struggled upright, and limped around in a circle, testing his maneuverability. He muttered something unpleasant under his breath.

“So it’s off to the boneyard I take it?” Solus asked. “I’d like more information on this Algu character though.”

“Maybe I can help there,” Harley said. She rummaged around in a pouch and pulled forth something that looked like a large rolled up balloon. “Forgot I had this fellow still.” She unrolled the thing and fiddled with a small valve before bringing it up to her mouth and blowing hard on it. “I prefer Lily’s way,” she panted, after a few breaths.

The others looked on as she continued to inflate the figure, which, despite being bi-pedal and humanoid in shape, appeared to be a large cat. It became apparent after a short time that the valve was cunningly placed, and by the time he was blown up, Fats Masterdon had a big smile on his face.

“Oh, that is such and old gag,” said Lebrenth, who was lurking quietly in the corner and smelling.

“The classics never die,” said Never.

“Thank-you kindly, that was most pleasurable,” the cat said. He looked about. “Hello? What is this? We have joined the enemy?”

Harley sat on the floor, out of breath. “I wanted more excitement,” she said.

Fats shrugged. “It’s all the same to me. How can I help?”

“We want to know more about a certain clown, name of Algu the Amusing,” Lord said.

The cat raised a furry eyebrow. “Him? He’s still around is he? Very well my evil companions, it’s a tale of comic tragedy…”

The others leaned forward and listened…

>

The slim figure walked up to the door and knocked. After a minute she knocked again.

“Doesn’t seem to be anyone in,” Rai muttered after another wait.

“Patience,” came the voice of Crossfire from the air. Rai glanced about, but then shrugged. She’d just raised her fist again when the door creaked open, to reveal a dark space beyond.

“Yes?”

“Are you the one they call Alug?” Rai asked, squinting into the gloom

“That’s me.”

“I have a proposition for you.”

“Very well. Enter.”

Rai entered. The door closed behind her with a hollow boom, as if a crypt door had just slammed shut.

>

“What was that?” Harley said, jumping.

“What was what?” Lord of the Night whispered back.

“I thought I heard something.”

“You’re imagining things,” Lord said, waving a hand. “Now be quiet, someone will hear us.”

“In here? I hope not.” Never looked around.

“It seems fine to me man,” said Lebrenth.

“That’s because you’re half undead,” said Lord. “It’s practically home for you now.”

“I miss me club,” is all Lebrenth said in way of reply. He scratched his head, peeling skin away.

The crew was sneaking through the dark of the night, which seemed to be very dark indeed at the moment. This could perhaps be attributed to the fact they were in the middle of Big City Cemetery, which was living up to all the spooky horror clichés. A strange fog covered the ground, and spindly trees towered above, their branches seemed to be twisted arms reaching out for them. Gravestones littered the place in haphazard fashion. Most were half overgrown with weeds.

“Doesn’t anyone maintain this place?” Solus hissed. She was tidy by nature, and the general decay annoyed her.

“Why do we have to do this at night?” Harley whispered.

“It’s traditional,” Lord of the Night replied. “You can’t go creeping around in a graveyard in the middle of the day. I mean, what would that look like? I have my reputation to protect you know.”

Harley looked doubtful. “Seems stupid to me. Let’s get this stone and get out of here.”

“There. That’s the tomb,” Masterweaver pointed with one of his remaining legs. He was sitting on Lord of the Nights’ head.

They looked over at where hew as pointing. A large square stone structure squatted solidly in the fog. Gargoyles and other distinctive structures adorned it.

“Great,” said Harley sarcastically. “Wonderful.”

They crept closer, until they could see the door.

“Shall we knock?” asked Solus.

“Lebrenth, go and see what’s inside,” Lord of the Night said. “You’re the most undead.”

Grumbling, the half zombie lurched over and pushed on the door. He peered inside for a minute, and then drew back.

“Well? What’s there?” asked Lord of the Night.

“It’s a bit unusual,” Lebrenth said.

>>>>>>

Okay, not very action packed, but there you go. What’s inside the tomb? Let’s hear you wild and wonderful suggestions!

Please feel free to re-add this to your favorites, as CF sabotaged them all ;) and they dropped off!

Bids now due:

Random bid Nenners, 200F - Rai to develop an obsession with the clown character. (Actually, can’t remember if you’ve paid this already Nenners)

Minor Random Bid: Algu, 50 fables - for Algu to be Immortal to aging... and that Algu is at least 5000 years old.

Pauper Bid:Cfire, 25 Fables to have me make an appearance in the next chapter in which I do not die or become horribly maimed. Anything else is fine

<<<<<<
algu95

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject:  

NO! Don't you dare suggest anything like that, you perverts!

I have no idea for a DP, sadly...

Oh, and yes, I do believe that 50 fables suddenly appeared in your pocket.
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject:  

Perverted is good. :lol: Where did everyone go?
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject:  

*Wipes brow* Phew! Not a me-as-a-kid chapter.

Quote: The assassin shrugged. “I don’t know. I kind of like him. He’s cute, in a monstrous sort of way.”

Bwuhahaha, yeah, that totally fits there. Nice work, C'ren. :D

I think the tomb should be where Algu keeps all his valuables and it's also occupied with hundreds of pictures of Rai (Obviously taken when he was STALKING her). I'm sure almost everyone here would get a kick out of it and you can probably make it into a running gag too. Algu+Rai, :lol: .
Mephistopheles

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject:  

It's a birthday party for all the undead raised this evening. With a clown for entertainment and everything!

(sorry Chinaren, not feeling right lately. Hope the funk stops so that i can give you better replies soon!)
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject:  

Lol! That's a good suggestion Messy! Don't put yourself down, that's for others to do. ;)
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject:  

*smiles happily* I like it! After all, it has me in it... and clowns! Yay for clowns!
Apart from the fact that I'm referred to as he instead of 'it'.
And I'd like it if it was "the mysterious entity known only as Crossfire", when I first appear.
Plus, I disappeared with a POP! Pops aren't very elegant, you know. Maybe I could disappear with an 'inrush of swirling grey mist', or something.
Not only that, but you refer to my voices in the singular...
And there's little, if any, description of me in the chapter, making me seem oddly two-dimensional, although I guess that the various areas devoted to my description elsewhere are a little obscure...

But other than that, it was great! :D
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject:  

I don't see why people call you self-centered, Cross...

For those of you without the ability to tell text sarcasm, the above is a prime example. (Looks like I just won the understatement of the year award!)

When is the poll coming, Mister Ex-Mayor monkey thing?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject:  

Probably when there are some DP suggestions, Meanie! :lol:

Hmmm. He stumbles upon a very unusual and rather compromising situation developing between Crossfire, Algu and Rai.

Might come back with some details on that one, but can't think of anything at the moment!
Mastermind

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject:  

There's a zombie circus performing, with Algu as the main attraction.
Lilith

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: Hmmm. He stumbles upon a very unusual and rather compromising situation developing between Crossfire, Algu and Rai.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am appalled at you mayoress!

(And I also f5 your suggestion. :cool: )
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject:  

Hehe. There's some nasty suggestions here. I knew I could rely on you lot. Anymore before I put up a poll?
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:  

It's like Frankenstein's lab in there! Brains in jars, an operating slab with a half-assembled person and swimming potatos in a tank!
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject:  

Maybe I was being a teensy bit focused on my tiny part in the story, but that's no reason to put me in a compromising situation, whatever a compromising situation might mean! Besides, everyone knows I'm one of the most powerful Citizens around. *preens, then hastily hides away somewhere, huddling gracefully with its substance curled in on itself*

I think that there should be a full-blown minature revel inside of the tomb, probably involving drunken, super-intelligent frogs and egomaniacal pixie jugglers! Also NeNe and Solus, unless they're dead. Maybe even if they're dead.

Also undead, scantily clad supermodels, recently raised from the cold depths of their high-priced graves, for they have been sorely neglected, and maybe some dancing potatoes on the shelves for ornamentation, to make a nod to TWB's suggestion.

I suppose Algu and Kalanna Rai can be lurking in the dark corner together doing something strange, but if I'm there, I'm disembodied.

Let's see you compromise me like that! Haha!
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject:  

The potatos were swimming for a reason! Instant fish and chips aren't that far off*...

Perhaps if you are there you think you're disembodied, but everyone else can see you plain as day?

*And yes, I do read Terry Pratchett.
Crossfire

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject:  

That sounds like FUN! I like that. But I don't want to do anything too strange, as I said.

Also rabbits with many ears which act as spies for the Multitude would be a great addition to the party*.

I would invite Mr. Pratchett as well, but I understand that he's gone insane. He would probably be eaten, or something.
CunningFox

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:  

I like the lab idea!
scissorkitty

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject:  

I think inside the tomb should be a very stylish and posh looking booking agency, wherein the team has to fill out numerous and odious forms for booking an appointment with Algu- since he IS a clown after all. At least nominally. Other "entertainers" could be available as well, and perhaps and annoying recruiter who tries to smarm everyone into joining the agency?- this all being an annoyingly UNfunny front for our unfunny clown, who think that it most definately is funny.
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:  

Good idea Skitty! Welcome to Wrath, and don't forget there's the bidding thread in the marketplace.

I'll be polling this soon, and I'm hoping to get a new chapter our soon. Maybe before the weekend.

Dont' forget to add this to your favorites if you like it!

:D
scissorkitty

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject:  

Oh, it's added.. and i LIKE it!
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject:  

Right then, long overdue, but poll is finally up.

Eat the potato of voting.
Ronjun

Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject:  

Not sure if I can vote this late, but there.

Storygames Home -> Wrath
Page 1 of 1