Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Election Time!
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Election Time!  

Yes, it's springtime in the City of IF, and that means it's time for one thing...

:rock: The Mayoral Election! :yeah:

Mayor Crunchyfrog's term is coming to an end, and it is time for us to elect a Mayor to serve for the next six months. Crunchy has decided not to stand for re-election, so the election is wide open.

Here are rules for this Mayoral Election:

1. Anyone who wishes to run for Mayor must announce their candidacy publicly, in this thread.
2. Please do not run unless you are serious about being Mayor. I am not going to disqualify anyone by age or past history, but I do require that anyone who runs makes a commitment to take their office seriously and serve out their complete six-month term.
3. Assuming we get more than one candidate, then for at least one week after the end of the announcement phase, voters will have the chance to ask candidates their views on any issues related to the governance of the City. Candidates are welcome to respond as much or as little as they want. If the discussion is still active after a week, I may extend the time. At some point I'll call for the vote.
4. The first round of voting will go for four days. At the end of that time, if one of the candidates has a majority (>50%), that person is our Mayor.
5. If none of the candidates have more than 50% of the vote in the first round, there will be a runoff between the top two vote-getters, for four more days.
6. Anyone who has posted on the site at least once (including the candidates themselves) is eligible to vote.
7. No person may vote more than once. If you have multiple identities in the City, you can only vote with one of them. Anyone who violates this rule will be severely punished.
8. The Mayor will serve for a term of six months, at which time we will have another election.
9. The Mayor may be removed from office only for high crimes or dereliction of duty, at the discretion of the King.

Below are a list of all the powers and responsibilities of the new Mayor:

- Creating a new forum for the SGotM winner each month.
- Disbursing fables for all prizes, including SGotM, linear stories winner, completion of storygames, etc.
- Setting tax rates for the forums
- Forcibly collecting taxes from those who don't pay voluntarily
- Moving storygames to the Hall of Stasis when finished or when they go on hiatus, and back when they're back off hiatus
- Warning, banning and deleting inappropriate/spam comments and users as needed
- Bestowing custom ranks when paid for
- Creating new groups and forums as needed
- Selecting new City Council members and moderators as needed
- Setting configurable forum options, such as inbox and signature size
- Managing the money supply, including setting how many fables are awarded for what activities.
- Chairing Council and Citizen discussions on City issues
- Being the path of escalation if a citizen is unhappy with a moderator's actions or decision.
- Mediating disagreements between citizens

Please ask if you have questions about the election process or what the Mayor's job entails.

Happy electioneering!

:-)
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject:  

~Pulls up seat and gets ready for the show~
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject:  

None of the mayors have run for a re-election!*

*Is this true? I seem to remember it this way...
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: None of the mayors have run for a re-election!

In fact, excluding Key, 33.333% of mayors have run for re-election.
Dragonite

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Im a Candidate  

*walks up the stage* hey im Dragonite you've seen me in The Inn. and im running for mayor. If you choose me ill be a good mayor who will never forget to do my best by putting the finished SG's in the Hall of Stasis, Giving out Fables to the contest winners and being the best i can be so if you want improvement then VOTE 1 DRAGONITE!! *starts throwing leaflets in the crowd with Dragonites face on them.*
Smee

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject:  

*chuckles* Chinaren was a glutton for the Mayoral luxuries and ran for two terms. ;)

*Pulls up a chair next to Chinaren, notepad and quill in hand ready for the questioning.*
Hak

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject:  

*pads over and sits next to Smee and China* perhaps I'll vote this time 'round.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject:  

*pulls up chair next to Smee with notepad and pen, hidden camera, dictaphone and a sack load of rotten tomatoes*
Dragonite

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject:  

:cool: :( :shock: ;) :-) :smile: :) :D :sad: :grin: :-D o-) :? :-o :lol: :P :mad: :-x :x :oops: :| :neutral: :censored: :2c: :dead: :great: :off: :smart: :clap: :scared: :cheers: :witch: :surrender: :wacko: :help: :poke: :wall: :boxed: :rock: :rofl: :tempt: :cry: :gun: :nono: :unsure: :blink: :goodpost: :whist: :ahem: :confused: :tu: :tu2: :bye: :anggrin: :cry2: :roll: :blush: :sadd: :laf: :tung: :ninja: :erm: :duel: :drunk: :tdown: :red: :rolly: :big: :idea: :grave: :jestr: :jestr: :laround: :pirate: :arro: :yeah: :wink2: :neut: :welcome: :cool3: theres a load of imoticons that you can use in your messages!!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject:  

DeadManWalking

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject:  

Just to be clear, we've got... let me count.

A total of one person running for mayor.

Dragonite.

Although, to be fair, it's only been one day.

*shrugs*

I really hope somebody else runs. I'm not saying that anything's wrong with Dragonite or something.

Just that this is going to be one boring election with only one runner.

y'know. Just thought of something.

If our old mayors don't usually run again, as has happened for, I believe, all but one of our mayors, we could run out of people who we would actually want for mayor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've got a crisis on our hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But luckily I have a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Starts calling random numbers on his phone.

111-1111 "Hello? Go to cityofif.com!"
111-1112 "Hello? Go to cityofif.com!"
111-1113 "Hello? Go to cityofif.com!"

... This could be a long night....

(Ignore me, I'm sleep-deprived and looking like this :-o )
sir wax

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject:  

well... if no one else steps up to Dragonite i'll definitely run for office... especially because he just got a tomato to the face by our current Mayor.

i would run simply because i wouldn't want the City in ruins, it would cost a lot of fables to rebuild. :P

all joking aside, however, i think i do know of some others who will be running, so not to worry Dead.

i'm still deciding whether or not to run for candidacy at this moment in time.

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject:  

*takes aim*

oh, er, not decided yet? *puts tomato back in bag* :whist:

Do you know how many months it took me to find that tomato? How long I've sat on it waiting to use it at the elections? Tending to it... nurturing it... watering it... ripening it...

:-D
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject:  

I despise all of my colleagues and fellow rivals so far. I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM... I'LL KILL THEM ALL!

*realises that the camera is filming*

...although I love all of you just as much! As such, I'm going to run for Mayor!

About Me.

Well... I'm friendly, or so I'm told. Ask my rival Dragonite- I once stuck him in a meat grinder then threw him into the sky. I think he was a frozen hunk of dragonflesh orbiting US for a while- it was a definite improvement, he's just too stubborn to admit it!

(If doing that wasn't friendship, I've no idea what is.)

I talk a lot, but I guess that's a good thing for a politician. People make fun of me for it, but my writing is not only neat and tidy, but can be used to shred large, orange, fuzzy lifeforms at twelve thousand paces.

I've heard some people think dark things about me (that's right, I can hear your thoughts- just another reason to vote for me as Mayor!), but I'm sure my actions in office will show them the truth! *smiles menacingly*

Becoming your unquestioned rul- ah, friend of the community- will aid that, especially since I plan to actually do something useful in my term of office!

What I Will Do

Aside from saving the rare endangered Leprous Embracing Slimepig, which has been hunted almost for its unusual exfoliating properties (and is really quite friendly!), I promise to...

1. Drive more traffic to IF, possibly with whips, but hopefully with the aid of... currency-light... advertising campaigns.

These campaigns would be centred in places where we're not likely to find people looking for "Ninja Zombie Mayhem 9000- The Explosioning", but instead people who are hoping to write "Ninja Zombie Mayhem 9000- Dissertations on the Nature of Reality".

2. Fable counts, although a little less than from ordinary SGing, in the Linear Lane forum, and incentives to make that section popular. It's gathering dust, it is, and the things lurking in the darkest corners...

*looks sad* They're becoming lonely!

3. Possibly breed some new kind of sentient apple. Everyone loves apples, so why not have one that can sympathise with your deepest, most private longings and desires while you eat it?

Who I Help Already

I'm willing to help anyone who needs it- especially fresh blood. Yum!

For example, I spend a lot of time attempting to halt the slow descent into madness that is sadly quite common in Residents.

Unfortunately all of my patients seem to be completely incurable, no matter how many electro-shock treatments I apply- even the patented "Unfortunate Hug" isn't good enough for them!

Me (and Others) as Mayor

I might not be the perfect choice for Mayor- I haven't had much experience with similar positions- but then, neither have my rivals- except lordofthenight, of course.

*whimpers* The Dark Chancellor as ruler, second only to Key... But I'm sure you'll choose what's best for the city. Bone-snapping, flesh-charring flames and eternal darkness have quite a charm to some people...

I'd like to make the City a more interesting place, and when I'm here I'll work hard to make that happen!

My Proclamation!

The days of such corporate, corpulent tyrants as my predecessors are OVER!

Let a new era of slim, helpful tyrants begin!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject:  

Oooh, another candidate!

Phang

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject:  

Election Time! Don't-say-it-in-a-pseudo-Japanese-accent Time!

Y'know, maybe I should run. I've been putting it off every time but it never seems like I'm incredibly busy at all, despite my predictions. I've been around long enough...and some of my opinions are as heavy as my hands...I'd have to read more if I was mayor, and it'd be excellent publicity for THE ROOM, kekeke...
scissorkitty

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject:  

*gets her kitty nose ready to sniff out some dirty laundry on the candidates*.. or not. Hmm. At long as it's not TOO dirty. I'm talking smut here.. not unwashables.

let the mudslinging begin!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject:  

Oooh, nearly missed another candidate. Here's one for ya, Phang!

The Dark

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject:  

Perhaps The Dark should run. Just for the tomato. There are many peversions you can use a tomato for.

On the other hand, The Dark is too lazy for such an endevour.
Lilith

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject:  

*takes a deep breath and stands* I will run for Mayor. I am around enough, I'm sure yalls will agree.. ;)

*ducks tomato and runs off*
Smee

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject:  

You can duck some tomatoes... but one will get ya, eventually.

*chuckles*

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject:  

Dear, citizens of IF town and city! I christalnightshade stand up to be a mayor. I have experaince of being a mod and creating forums, giving titles, giving awards and doing the very best I can. *throws candy with the words, Vote please!"

I'll do my best on doing everything I can. I come on every day and I love answering question reasonably and with a point to it. Ask me questions while I think of a question for key.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject:  

One for Lily....

One for Nightshade...

Two hits with one hand behind me back. ;)
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:  

Wait... we have 5 candidates already? Possibly six?

Wow....

:shock:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject:  

*throws hat, lands in ring*

I suppose I'd better run then. Make sure there's a least one suitable candidate in the election this year.
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject:  

*Throws tomato at Lordy*

Unfortunately I think Lordy may have a point. From my point of view, he'll be the only one who can manage the job seriously, with minimal abuse of power...

Who am I kidding? "Minimal abuse of power"...?

*Prepares tomato cannon for any more candidates*
DELETED

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject:  

DELETED
Key

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject:  

Great to see so much interest! :D

This sets a new record for number of candidates...

Leaving it open for a few more days...
scissorkitty

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject:  

so will our candidates have to create platforms and woo us with lower gas prices and child-extracuricular sports-grants?
Head Eater

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Headssss.  

I, the Eater of Headsssss, being of ssssound Head, am announsssssing my candidassssssssssyyy!!! SssssSSSSssss!!!

AsSSSsssssss your great Mayor i will eat headsssssssssssssss of thossss unworthy...

... i will alsssso... ssssSSSSssss...

..... eat more of the delicious headynessssssSSSSssssss.

If you would like to sssseee more headssss being eaten (who wouldn't ssssSSsss) and nothing elsssssse, vote Head Eater for thissssss election sssseasson!! SSssssss!!!
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:  

I thought the Head Eater was a coalition of people?
Head Eater

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject:  

*glares at D-Lotus*

That isssss quite a big head that sssitss on your shoulderssss.
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject:  

Personally, I'd like to know who is behind the head-eater. Otherwise, with only 39 posts, it is hard to discern how this 'Head-eater' behaves around the city. It's sorta like a mask, and I would rather like to know what's behind it. If this group of people want to get my vote, first, they must show themselves or explain what's going on.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject:  

lordofthenight wrote: *throws hat, lands in ring*

I suppose I'd better run then. Make sure there's a least one suitable candidate in the election this year.

oooh I've been waiting for this...

*takes 3 steps back.... 3 steps to the side... pauses... meditates.... wiggles bum a bit.... starts windmilling like mad with right arm and.....

oh yeah!!! That felt GOOOOOOOOD!!!!

Head Eater wrote: I, the Eater of Headsssss, being of ssssound Head, am announsssssing my candidassssssssssyyy!!! SssssSSSSssss!!!

AsSSSsssssss your great Mayor i will eat headsssssssssssssss of thossss unworthy...

... i will alsssso... ssssSSSSssss...

..... eat more of the delicious headynessssssSSSSssssss.

If you would like to sssseee more headssss being eaten (who wouldn't ssssSSsss) and nothing elsssssse, vote Head Eater for thissssss election sssseasson!! SSssssss!!!

D-Lotus wrote: Personally, I'd like to know who is behind the head-eater. Otherwise, with only 39 posts, it is hard to discern how this 'Head-eater' behaves around the city. It's sorta like a mask, and I would rather like to know what's behind it. If this group of people want to get my vote, first, they must show themselves or explain what's going on.

The Head Eater is a smelly old rubber suit that is occasionally occupied by one of the members of the Review Board to handle New Storygame Promotions. I tell ye now, nobody in their right mind would want to spend 6 months couped up in that. Unless they have a rubber fetish of course.

And besides, it'd mean that things might get a bit crowded in the Mayoral Mansion with all those RB bods, and believe me, when you've had that place all to yourself you wouldn't WANT to share it with anyone.

Never fear, D, I'm gonna save my rotten tomatoes for real candidates. :P

[/quote]

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject:  

*kidding* Are you saying we are not good enough for your liking Cf? *getting serious* and are you (name) saying that we will abuse our power(which we don't have) to such an extent that people will start debating about it? well I wouldn't abuse it, nor will the others try to abuse it while I'm around. :) May the best one win.
sir wax

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject:  

since it seems If has lost an hour+, and deleted its content i have reposted this as my opening speech

*starts to make himself a sandwich on the podium*
I've thought about it very diligently, logistically and ideally.

And i have chosen to run for the position of Mayor April '08 - October '08, in the City of If. *holds down the Ifian cheers as he puts the mayo on his bread*

As i still consider myself a 'newb', this is not a decision i have taken lightly. *spreads the mustard on each slice and lays it on real thick* Here is some of what i intend to do as mayor in a relatively short period of time:

- My number one duty as Mayor would be: Increase the number of users by instituting a strategic City of If ad campaign. Hitting up webcomic, webtv, web-radio, YouTube and other interactive media sites to grab people who wouldn't otherwise hear about If. Thus increasing the writership, but most importantly, increasing the readership. Quality control is a must here, so when elected i will draw up plans on how to do this properly. When taking office i would like to hear ideas this sparked in Ifians in a thread specifically for this matter.

- Install new lavatories in the Inn *stick knife in mustard jar and washes his lettuce*

- Try to see if we could have some sort of fabling system for those who comment on peoples stories in the New SG area. And NOT the actual New SG itself until it reaches Fantasy, Skiffy, HEM or Linear status. As of now, no fables are given to any who post in the NSG area. I think that an incentive must be there for those who want to help these writers and give them crits. I have given this a lot of thought and it seems right, the only problem would be how to make it happen. But that wouldn't be your problem. *shakes the water off lettuce and places it on one slice of bread*

- See if we can make permanent spots to see billboards in the 'New posts' area of the active competitions that are playing in the Linear Lane. Why comps? Because comps are fun and they are interactive. That is what this City is all about. Also, make competitions for making the billboards for these comps. :lol:

- If we can do that, also make another alternating/animated billboard on the other side for selected SG's that not only meet a committee approval, but also meet certain requirements. *thinly slices cheese and places it on the other slice*

- Make a trophy case for those bestowed with Awarded Honors that will be placed in the Market Bizarre and City Central main. Though i would like to eventually see it in almost every major section in the City. This trophy case would include Chinaren's Hall medals, trophies, awards as well as a section for SGoTM recipients. And i feel most importantly, a Heroes Past section that has pictures of remembered, cherished Ifians who can only be remembered for the time being. i.e. Shady Stout, Ethereal Fauna, and Dinranwen to name a few. I am learning flash right now, so this may take some time, but this is also, a top priority of mine. *puts Organic Turkey slices on top of cheese slices*

- When the City of If user base grows in a positive direction; push for an education program where certain beginner writers will be invited, to help their writing and reading. This would differ from the businesses in the Market Bizarre as these will be a government sanctioned, and the honor of serving and participating in this program would be asked of a select few Ifians to teach, and even fewer to learn. *grinds salt and pepper on the lettuce*

So, it will not be said that i will be able to accomplish all of these goals as Mayor, on top of regular duties. However, i will do my best to make these things happen, especially the ones i feel If needs most. So, vote for me and hopefully we can do these things together. *looks down at his sandwich and looks at Crunchy* Anybody got a tomato?

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject:  

lol!

And great opening speech Waxy, you have put yourself in amongst the front runners with that.

~gets a feeling of deja-vu~

Have we done this before?
sir wax

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:  

:lol: yes... yes we have.

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
DeadManWalking

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject:  

Maybe I should run.

I might make a good mayor.

I could- HA!

Sorry. I couldn't say that with a straight face. (Actually, since I'm typing, I couldn't even type it with a straight face)

Yeah, just never mind.

I really don't want to run. Now that I think about it, it would be way too much work.

Unless...

Hey! Sir Wax.

We should be running mates.

I could be the figurehead and you could do all the work!!!! :D

What do you think?

That way you get the benifit of my years of experience* and I get to not work!!!!

It's brillian!!!!!!!!!!

Actually... Now that I think about it. This isn't the first time I've run. I believe I ran against cren a couple years back.

Or my memory could be decieving me.

Maybe i just thought about running.

*yawn*

Think about it sir wax.

(yes I'm still sleep-deprived. And overloaded with work. (which the Time Quake only made worse)

*in which only a couple months were spent actually here
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject:  

Sir Waxalot wrote: *looks down at his sandwich and looks at Crunchy* Anybody got a tomato?

Here ya go Waxy!

Good speech!

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2