Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Question time : It's a big job...
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Question time : It's a big job...  

Hey all potential new Mayors...

Being Mayor (fancy mansion, the best of Mauddib districts dancing girls and creme cakes aside) is fundamentally an administrative job.

It's a lot of work. Lots and lots of PM'ing various people for many, many reasons. Logging in and out of various admin accounts to sort out fable transactions, coming to grips with the admin system to create and organise new forums (including the rather confusing permissions part so no gaping holes in the Great Registration Wall are formed).

Day in, day out for 6 whole months.

It can be (and is) very rewarding, but it is a responsibility and it is a commitment. For 6 months/24 weeks/168 days - however you look at it.

Can you - as a candidate looking for votes - assure your voters that you can live up to this responsibility?

Even if, after a long week, you're tired, you just want to sit down, relax and maybe chat in the Inn, or knock out a long overdue chapter on your own Storygame, but you can't. You have 10 PM's in your inbox to answer, and several important discussion forums about SGoTM or long term advertisment to give your opinion on.

Have you really thought through what you have volunteered for, and can you reassure us that you're the right person for the job?

Are you worthy of our vote, and more importantly, our trust?
sir wax

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject:  

yes... i promise. :smile:

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot

EDIT:

Ok, i've answered this as thoughtfully as i could.

First of all Smee, i already get the best dancers, as well as the best masseuses in the Mauddib district. So i am clearly not in it for that, the mansion however, is a different beast. That definitely will be a perk that i will use to the full extent and wine and dine the night away.

Now, experience being an admin, i have none. What i lack in the actually being an admin of a site i have in spades when talking about real life experiences. I am a filmmaker; a writer/director. I will use this as an example as i intend to make the City of If, one of my cinematic masterpieces.

Writing side, i do on my own. Usually gathering many views and many plots organizing them into a single story, a single goal, a single vision. This i will be made by me, organizing what many Ifians are concerned of or want. I am already seeing much of what Ifians want just by running in this race.

Directing side, is a group effort. Working together to make that single vision a reality. I cannot do it as a mayor alone, like any community, we would need to share this vision and work together to make it a thriving place for individuals, 'tourist' and 'venerable'.

Being a director isn't all cupcakes and instant gratification either (though i do yearn for that day :) ). It is a labor of love. Sometimes dealing with very difficult decisions on the fly that may cost you hundreds of dollars in the long run as well as the overall performance of the piece.

Having no SG's that i are active, i am still developing for the right time to come out with them. Why? Because i know that ideas are good, but its the execution that counts most. I will not publish an SG of my own unless i know full well i am able to give enough give and take from others and, able to finish it. As with many things that i choose to start on that mean a lot to me.

Right now, on If, i have done everything to help other people with their writing (plots, character, style, story etc.), enter the occasional competition, and most importantly, become one with the community. I help others with their writing because i want them to feel better about their stories and their own writing to make their stories great, giving most of them in-depth critiques that would otherwise be overlooked by others, but something that is still needed. I would take the same approach when i am mayor, i don't like to do things half-assed.

I might be goofy and silly at times (most), but i am a very disciplined individual, who wouldn't think about taking on a position such as mayor if i didn't think i was fully equipt the abilities and materials to not only keep the 'status quo', but to improve upon it in a meaningful way. I don't make brash decisions, i make carefully thought out ones.

As mayor, i might take a vacation using the Ifian treasury :P , but i'll always make sure my responsibility as mayor is fulfilled.

I hope this answered your question on the multitudes in which i believed it needed answering. Thanks for you patience Shmee (:smile: revel in it!)

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Lilith

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject:  

Not sure if there is another question prosed here.. but I'll give you my answer straight out.

Yes, without a doubt in my mind.
Argon18

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject:  

Actions speak louder than words though right?

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject:  

Can you - as a candidate looking for votes - assure your voters that you can live up to this responsibility?

Yes, I shall and can live up to this resposibility.

Have you really thought through what you have volunteered for, and can you reassure us that you're the right person for the job?

Yes, I've been an admin of another site for quite some time. I'd love to be your mayor as I'll do my very best to please everyone even if there is 10 p.ms or more in my inbox.

Absolutaly I am, you can trust me with your vote and more.
Phang

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject:  

Ah ha ha...why yes, I can assure you I know my way around an administration panel in Phpbb...and I need more encouragement to spend more time on IF...
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject:  

Phang - if you need encouragement to spend more time on IF then why do you think you should be Mayor? SHoudl the Mayor not be here becasue they want to be?
Lilith

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject:  

Alright Nevernevergirl, you wanted an expansion? You got it.

Can you - as a candidate looking for votes - assure your voters that you can live up to this responsibility.

Responsibility is a word I know very well, so I am very sure that this responsibility is one I can handle.

What I have volunteered for is a administration position on IF. All the duties and responsibilities thereof, I can handle, which does mean, YES, I am the right person for the job.

Yes, I can confidently and truthfully say that I am.

Taken from Ne's thread: how will you manage the time needed to give to IFs running?

Time management? Easy. I am around plenty enough as it is so I don't think that will be a problem, to be perfectly honest.
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject:  

Lilith wrote: Alright Nevernevergirl, you wanted an expansion? You got it.

Can you - as a candidate looking for votes - assure your voters that you can live up to this responsibility.

Responsibility is a word I know very well, so I am very sure that this responsibility is one I can handle.

What I have volunteered for is a administration position on IF. All the duties and responsibilities thereof, I can handle, which does mean, YES, I am the right person for the job.

Yes, I can confidently and truthfully say that I am.

Taken from Ne's thread: how will you manage the time needed to give to IFs running?

Time management? Easy. I am around plenty enough as it is so I don't think that will be a problem, to be perfectly honest.

oh she used my full name - im in big trouble!
Chinaren

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject:  

Well, you did ask for expansion Nevernevernevergirl.
scissorkitty

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject:  

Next you're going to get crumbs thumb-liked from you cheek, and be handed a REAAAAALLLLY old crumbly tissue!

hee hee.
Phang

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject:  

NeverNeverGirl wrote: Phang - if you need encouragement to spend more time on IF then why do you think you should be Mayor? SHoudl the Mayor not be here becasue they want to be?

Why, of course I am here because I want to be! Perhaps I phrased myself incorrectly...what I meant was, that as Mayor I would spend even more time on IF, and that would improve my output in other things greatly...
sir wax

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject:  

Edited first post Smee.
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:  

Question Time!- From Mr. Smee.

I have!

Previously I was a little reluctant to try out, since it seemed to be crushing Chinaren's sanity so horribly...

(It isn't anymore... *looks sad* Poor Chinaren.)

Now I think that I can manage the burden, especially in light of the fact that I no longer have anything to crush!- uh, never mind that.

Well, I have a bit of experience in the administrative department, although admittedly not as lofty as the position of Mayor!

I am confident I will live up to your many expectations, though, for reasons I will detail below.

Being Mayor (fancy mansion, the best of Mauddib District's dancing girls and creme cakes aside) is fundamentally an administrative job. Are you sure you can handle it?

Well, that experience I mentioned will help!

I've been God on a couple of worlds, maybe exploded a few continents... not everyone was happy with me, but the people that were were generous!

*is a softie when it comes to puppies, particularly in stew*

And about the dancing girls and cremes?

Um... as an ethereal being, I don't really go for dancing men, women, children or apples.

I eat for pleasure and not for cream and I don't particularly like confectionery when human souls are twice as sweet and ten thousand times more energising per ounce!

I don't think the pleasures of being Mayor will distract me from my goal- the total reformation of IF in my own im- as a bright yet strange and twistedly wonderful place to spend your days and nights.

*looks shifty for a moment*

Mass PMing

I will have no trouble composing comprehensive PMs that will accurately inform dozens of semi-important people- or even Key!

I enjoy rambling on aimlessly about whatever comes before me, so the prospect of being a public figure is heaven to me!

Not only that, but if I do become Mayor, I will keep whatever I say from now on extremely short!

Are you sure that you can handle the Mayoral Duties, even after a long week, narrowly escaping an underwater rifle squad, being abducted by aerophobic aliens and nearly being turned into smoke machine fuel by a tribe of itinerant vacuum cleaner salesmen/special effects mercenaries?

I do! IF before CriF! Rotten tomatoes from potatoes! So forth!

*becomes serious*

My work as Mayor will always come first. I'm not going to fail if I go so far, and I refuse to let life get in the way of the City's progress.

It shall be my priority one.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject:  

As I’m sure many can give testament to, I spend far more time on IF than is healthy for any normal person. I’m regularly up past five in the morning, just reading stories and talking to people on chat. Time-wise, there’s no problem getting me to spend time on IF. Instead, my problem resolves trying to leave. It’s late, and I should have gone to bed hours ago – but instead I see someone’s just posted a new chapter, and I just go to check that out first. Then a new topic starts in chat – don’t want to miss that, so I’ll just go to bed a bit later. And so on. Next thing I know it’s already bright outside and I’ve spent another night in the city. (Apparently there’s only 24 hours in a day here. How weird is that?)

Of course, it is perhaps ironic that in that case, I’m leaving this to the last minute. And that – in replying to a question about time management – I’m about to give an excuse for my apparent lack of it. It just so happens that this election period fell at the worst possible time – the biggest piece of work for my entire year is due in Monday, and (it being group work) I haven’t been able to select my own schedule for getting work done. I’ve also had a family tragedy during the period, but I won’t give details on that – it doesn’t concern anyone here. I can be certain it won’t happen again though – not unless someone invents a resurrection formula at least. I’ve tried to put in as much face time as possible, but nonetheless, my ability to answer questions has suffered.

However – I have been able to think about my answer to your questions Smee – and the answer to them has to be yes. It’s short and simple I know – now like me, but what can you do? Responsibility is my middle name. Well, okay. That’s actually a lie. But I’m not telling anyone what it is, though I can at least rest assured in the knowledge that it’s not Florence. That would be mortifing.*

I already deal with a high number of PMs every day – communicating with many members of the city over different matters of varying importance. As for its importance as an administrative position, (and I may have mentioned this once or twice in other threads ;)) I already take care of regular administrative roles in the city. I am responsible for producing the SGotM nominating and voting threads each month. I am in charge of the auction threads, and I send out monthly reminders to the Main forum mods, reminding them that it’s time to collect rent from the SGotM winners.

However Smee, I think you’re wrong to just pass it off as a time consuming administrative position – I think there’s more to it than that. As the Mayor, you become the face of the community. You need to always present a straight face – not let yourself get overwhelmed by emotions. You have to accept that not everyone will like what you do all the time – it’s just not possible. Some will always disagree. As Mayor, you are going to have to accept there will always be dissenters, no matter how hard you try, you just can’t please everyone. You need to be able to hold a discussion with people who simply don’t like you, and still be able to make reasonable and valid points, rather than just throwing a fit, or banning them from the city.

At times the Mayor will be called upon to mediate between members – you have to be able to listen to both sides of the argument fairly, not just make a decision based on solely friendship, or on previous disturbances. I am someone who can do that. I never let my emotions get the better of me, or make a decision just because someone has a bad history. I can put myself in anyone’s shoes, and see an argument from their point of view – see what their problem is. I don’t get easily offended – something that’s actually ended up really frustrating people who don’t like me – and I’m always willing to help someone out, whether I like them or not, or their previous history to me.

I think I’ve been with the city long enough to show that I’m not suddenly going to get bored of it and leave without warning, and I know I don’t have the right personality to develop a WarCrack style addiction. Unlike some people I could mention :P. Of the candidates, I’m the one with the experience on IF, the administrative knowledge, the capacity to listen. Of the others, I truly believe they are either too inexperienced, or simply don’t have the right mindset to properly fulfil the duties required. Nonetheless, I will still offer them as much help as I can to keep this City functioning. Even if we do end up with a ‘poor’ Mayor, a good council could keep the City going in the right direction. So imagine what lengths could be achieved if the right man for the job is chosen.

*My apologies go out to anyone unfortunate enough to be called Florence. No offense in intended. Honest.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject:  

Well, my sister thinks Florence is a sexy name. I do too... I think; if it's a girl's name I do.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject:  

That was of course the main point of my post - that Florence is an unfortunately name. If you're male.

No-one really reads the rest anyways it seems.

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08
Page 1 of 1