Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

moderator duties
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadManWalking

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: moderator duties  

What would you define as the duty of the Moderators in the City of If?

EDIT: I have been told that this question is not specific enough. But I believe that only a vague question can get somebody's entire opinion. So the question stays the same.
Traveller

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject:  

Good question Dead Man.
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject:  

The duties are fairly clearly defined I think, in the Council chambers. However, it will be interesting to see some answers from the non-councilors here.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject:  

*without looking at the council chamber -even if I can't or can*
I think moderators are like cops, or are like Mayors themselves. They work day in and night out on storygames, creating polls when asked for a poll, they delete polls and stories, even unwanted posts. They are a big helpers in when new Ifians come to the place with questions. There are a lot of moderators in IF and I'd not want one of them to change. They are also there to help the Mayor and ask him /her questions aswell.
Lilith

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:  

(Also without looking at the chambers)

Polls are now done by the author's themselves, Crady, just so you know. The mods no longer are required to do those.

Moderators of the main three forums are required to send out the monthly reminders of the 100 fable rent payment to the Treasury. They take the time to go through their forums from time to time and sift through Storygames that seem to have become inactive, talk with the author, and then decide from that discussion whether or not it is to be deleted, moved to the Vault, or left alone. Running genre based competitions seems to be a common staple as well in FF, HEM, and Skiffy.

The Open Forum mods have the responsibility of keeping that area clean and getting rid of seemingly dead topics. (As far as I know)

NSG mods are responsible for keeping a close eye on that area and culling that crowd when New Storygames seem to be left for dead.

Games mods are the same as above only they cull out some dead posts in games that are getting really big and don't really depend on the really old posts.

There's also the IT mods. I feel that area might be a tad neglected as of right now, but hopefully within the coming months, it can be stirred up to some activity. I believe their responsibilities go without question of culling and keeping tidy and also fostering topics that have to do with aiding the newcomers to find their way around IF.

Crit Corner mods I don't know that much about their responsibilities honestly, but I suspect they have to keep a VERY close eye on that forum as it is a fable-giving forum and the one's critiquing should be getting fables for giving thorough critiques, not making useless posts.

Review Board mods (or your beloved Head Eaters!) are responsible for snapping up Storygames in the NSG section that have reached their second chapter and giving them a good going through and then polling on whether it should be moved to a main forum, wait for corrections to be done, await another chapter, or fail it completely. Passed SGs are moved to one of the main forums (based on genre) by the Head Eaters when the polling process is over.

Then there's the separate mods for the different sections in City Central, each one a weight of duty in itself to keep it clean and updated on a regular basis.

As you can see, there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes in the city and we have quite a few people that work through that. The local City Council also convenes quite often to discussion issues that might arise on the site, whether it be about SGs, site activity, members, or site improvement.

((Did I forget anyone?))
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject:  

Candidates - It has been mentioned previously that perhaps Mods should be paid? Your opinion on this? Taking into consideration factors like inactive mods, mulitple section mods and the ones that just plain ol do more work...
Lilith

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject:  

Candidates - It has been mentioned previously that perhaps Mods should be paid? Your opinion on this? Taking into consideration factors like inactive mods, mulitple section mods and the ones that just plain ol do more work...

Hmm... my thoughts? Perhaps a review of our moderators and just who is active and who is not is in order. And we could get together and possibly set down a payment method from the treasury. Amount could be discussed and decided then too. And multiple jobs would more than likely get paid more, which is understandable because more than one job would mean more work.
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:  

Moderators are delegates which enforce the rules of their specific districts. Their power is great, but not infinite, and is limited to their areas.

If one person had to enforce the entire city, they wouldn't get much sleep!

The greater the amount of duties a moderator has to perform, the more he, she or it should be paid for their services.

However, if a moderator does not perform its duties properly and to the best of its ability, penalties may be enforced or, if they continue behaving improperly, their powers may be taken.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject:  

Mods can still create polls if new commors don't know how to.

Yes, Mods should be paid farely, it should be like working for a newspaper. Only your deleting stuff and saving them.

I really think that there is one inactive mod in (I forgot what forum it was) recently I've asked for stories to be deleted, but it looks like I have to wait two months.

Multiple section mods are hard workers. The ones that do the most work should be paid for doing the work, every mod should be paid equally, but try their best in working hard on helping around.

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08
Page 1 of 1