Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Endorsements
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Endorsements  

Here's a question for our previous Mayors: is there any candidate whom you feel strongly would be a better Mayor than the others, such that you are willing to make an official endorsement?

Personally, I am remaining neutral.

:-)
Smee

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject:  

My thoughts to Crunchy have gone in PM.

But as for Key's question.

Too many of the candidates are unknown to me for me to make an endorsement so easily or fairly.

Know that I am reading all answers to questions carefully. And following with interest any statements (or lack thereof) candidates are making.

The City is an ever-changing place, and it'll need a cool head at the controls. I'll be looking for such a person.

Good luck to you all.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject:  

I've split most posts off to another thread here.

However, there was stuff mixed up so here's the (more) relevant bits:

Old green wrote: Well - any endorsement from me might end up being the kiss of death, so I don't think I'll be drawn on that.

But during my 6 month term some things have made themselves ever more obvious to me, and the current candidates would do well to consider:

Behind every avatar and user name is a real human being, flesh, blood, feelings and a life, regardless of all the 'creatures' they like to appear as in the chat and around the forums.

Every decision you make as mayor doesn't affect just that user account, it affects the human being behind it. That makes some decisions extremely difficult, and it is often wise to sleep on it before making that decision. I'm not the first and won't be the last person to get it wrong on occasions. It's very difficult.

This doesn't just go for Mayors, this goes for EVERYBODY. A flippant comment in the chat from one person can send another into emotional turmoil if it hits the wrong nerve, and especially if it is founded on fiction.

Mayoral Candidates: Don't be influenced by so called 'advisors' pointing things out to you and insisting that something is 'wrong' that you need to correct; and never make a decision as a kneejerk reaction to somebody's complaint before considering what the 'real' problem might be. Although you can never please everyone all of the time, the most well considered decision will most likely be the most appropriate.

Another important part of being Mayor is people management. There's a lot of people out there in the community. If you respect other people, then they will respect you. Treat them badly and expect them to reciprocate in kind.

Recently one of the Mayoral candidates committed slander in the chat, having disregarded, or possibly not even recognised the above realisations, probably due to their own ignorance.

That candidate failed to recognise what the problem was, and as a result failed to mediate and solve the situation, which led their 'victim' to take the decision to leave IF. Needless to say, that candidate no longer has my vote.

If you REALLY want the job, all you seven candidates, you should be acting like Mayors NOW...

Your responsibility as Mayor comes first on IF, and your social time in the chat a firm second. This can and will have an impact on how you conduct yourself around IF, and you need to ask yourself whether you can keep it up for 6 months.

Cunning Orange wrote: As for the upcoming race...

I'm currently taking offers for my backing. :lol: Although that might hurt someone as much as help them I think! ;)

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08
Page 1 of 1