Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Unfinished SG's
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election March 09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Unfinished SG's  

Mayoral candidates, as you well know, the City's inhabitants are always brimming with new ideas! New stories pop up in our heads faster than a certain orange monkey thing can accumulate wealth for himself! As a result, more SG's are written!

While this usually means a good flow of new reading material for our citizens, with our ever-growing hunger for literature, it also means that authors are spread awfully thin and are worked very hard on these. Very often we will find stray SG's floating around the site, barely out of the womb of the IFian's noggin, never to grow into a full story.

Sometimes it is because of lack of readers; more often it is a lack of incentive for the author to actually finish. Regardless of the cause, however, the result is the same: Dead SG's.

So my question is this: Do you consider the above situation to be a prominent problem in IF, and if so, what do you propose we do about it?

Also, the question I've been asking every IFian election I can remember: Is there going to be a change to the link colours (again)?
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject:  

I just had a genius idea! If we have stories we've lost our inspiration for (case in point: Ureil. Nominated for SGotM, but I lost my desire to do a horror story because I frankly couldn't think of much more), do you think it would work to auction, sell, or give these stories to other players to finish?
Smee

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject:  

Easy part first... the site colours, I'll probably be looking to go back to the original orange. It's been some time since we've seen that.

As for dead stories, I guess I have some authority on that given the state of my current storygames. I don't think it's a major problem, but then at the same time, I think it's bad that a new player may arrive in the city, read a storygame only to find it's dead. Case in point - poor Reiso catching up with one of my old SG's. New players should be able to easily settle down to a SG knowing it's active.

Something to be discussed perhaps - it could become an extra duty for the mods in each area, to go in and change the title on some SG's that haven't moved for a while, stating them currently closed. Or moving some to the appropriate archive area of the city.

I don't think we need any changes to the NSG's forum.

As for your point Alegria, that is very possible, and there are examples of it. One of Reiso's and Emperor's longest stories came from a start of mine I didn't have the inclination/time to write myself. And Crunchy's MT started from a competition that Chinaren started, where he provided the first chapter. This is something that'd have to come from the author themselves though.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject:  

Bright yellow. Yellow is good! :D Actually, I had thought that if Smee wins the election, that nice deep blue I always associate with his prose would look very smart. I'd be happy with orange too, but would probably hold a vote for the colour. :)

What to do with dead SGs I have scratched my head over for some time. Both Smee's and Leggy's ideas are better than anything I could come up with.

Some time back, Kalanna Rai also came up with an idea called Save This Storygame Inc. Click on the link and find a rare post by Crunchyfrog the newbie who clearly had no idea how storygaming works. :D

Storygames Home -> Election March 09
Page 1 of 1