Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

IFy Nominations!!
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The 2009 IFYs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantomfan

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: IFy Nominations!!  

The place for the IFy nominations!

Remember, these nominations are for HEM STORIES ONLY. For other categories, head over to that forum!

The rules for nominating can be found here.

Best Storygame
The SG that YOU think is the best.
Nominations
Tired of Death by Chinaren
Grim Reaping by ashkent.

Best Plot
Pretty obvious- the SG that you feel has the best plot.
Nominations

Best Character
The best character in an SG- whether it be through looks, backstory, or whatever.
Nominations

Best description/detail
You know that one scene in that obscure SG that was just so amazingly described? Here's the place for it.
Nominations
Nexus by Phantomfan

Best style/most original
Again, self-explainitory.
Nominations
The Priest By Alegria

Best supporting character
Main Characters can't get all the spotlight!
Nominations
Pinkie from Ashkent's Grim Reaping.

Best decision points
DPs can be really hard to formulate- which one do you think was the best?
Nominations

Best Critic
The most helpful critic! Someone every writer hopes will comment on their story.
Nominations
Crunchyfrog

Best Non SGotM Winner
Same as the "Best SG" award, but for Non SGotM winners.
Nominations

Post your nominations below, please!

:D
DeadManWalking

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject:  

*cough* no such thing as a linear story in HEM *cough*

And I'd like to nominate Tired of Death by Chinaren for Best Storygame, since i believe finished storygames can also be nominated.

Not that the link is much good since he took the second half off, but hey it's the principle of the thing that counts.
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject:  

You can always download the full, revised version at:

www.TiredofDeath.com

...in PDF format.

And thankyou for the nomination Deady, though I'm not sure if it will be valid, as I think I finished this in 2008. ~forgets~

Still, I appreciate the sentiment, and will call off the death squads.

I think the best Critic is a no brainer. I nominate our very old, er I mean own green deputy mayor: Crunchy Frog.

She does a sterling job of critiquing both hither and thither. :clap:
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject:  

Best supporting Character - My nomination would have to be Pinkie from Ashkent's Grim Reaping.

In this quote, Pinkie is stuck in a waste bin.
Ashkent wrote: I looked across the room to where Pinkie struggled to remove himself from the bin.

“If I had any sense I would just leave you I there,” I said.

“Arr?”

“Don’t try me.”

“Arrrr.”

“And stop saying sorry. You just have this way of unintentionally bringing the universe crashing down around you.”

“Arrrrr ar ar arr.”

“I didn’t say it was always your fault,” I said walking over to free him. “Just most times.”

I took hold of Pinkie by the head and give him a generous yank. With a subtle pop his little brown rump parted with the metal container.

Pinkie was, and is, something of a mystery to me, and indeed to everyone. Even Johnny couldn’t say he remembers ever ordering the creation of such a being.

In many ways he is similar to Jimmy, so much so that many believe him to be the offspring of one of Jimmy’s many…erm…liaisons. I don’t believe that, but they do share a height and weight issue. Pinkie is precisely two feet high and somewhat portly for it. That is really where the likeness ends…well, other than both of them being not too easy on the eye.

Pinkie’s defining feature tends to be his vocabulary, or lack of it. We can understand him perfectly, but from what I have gathered, many of the souls have difficulty translating his dialect. Of course those who tell him to speak English receive a defiant “Arrr arr” and the gesture to match.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject:  

Most Original SG - I'm nominating The Priest by Alegria. For me this is the first TRUE multimedia SG, blending words and music together seamlessly.

For me, Chapter 1 does it - somehow Alegria controls your reading speed, writing the chapter to fit the soundtrack, adding an extra dimension to the reading experience. The DPs of this storygame are not about the story, they are about decisions for the mood of the next chapter. This is Storygaming as an art form.
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject:  

Thank you very much, Crunchy!!!
Phantomfan

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject:  

Updated!

Let's get some more nominations in!

EDIT: This just in- Nominations close and polls go up- on Friday!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject:  

Uhh, you need to include The Priest for most original, there, Phanto! ;)

Also Skitty nominated Grim Reaping for Best Storygame (except that when she nominated she got the wrong category - and the wrong thread. Good going there, Skitty! :lol:)
scissorkitty

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject:  

COME ON, GUYS! WE NEED TO FILL THOSE CATEGORIES!!
scissorkitty

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject:  

heh.. thanks for sorting me out there, Crunchy! :shock:
Sabriel

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject:  

If it's not too late, I'd like to nominate Phantomfan's Nexus for best description.
The opening description of the SG is the one that I would like to point out- It seems to capture the feeling of strangeness and mystery that surrounds the first chapter.

Quote:
You are surrounded by nothingness. Not blackness, not whiteness, but emptiness in its entirety. A sense of complete disembodiment fills you- but there is nothing to fill. You simply remain, waiting for something.

A miniscule door appears in the nothingness, glowing with a faint, blue light. It grows larger and larger, and you realize that you are getting closer to it. Closer and closer, until you can see every detail. It is covered with a twisting, writhing pattern- one that is never the same twice. Entranced, you stare at it until it fills your mind completely- and it opens. You… float through it slowly.

Suddenly you are stretched, compressed, taken apart, pushed together-overloaded with these contrasting feelings until your nonexistent mind can’t take the pain any more-

And then- you are back in your own body, laying on the ground. Standing up, you look around. You are in an empty room- one that appears to be normal until your eyes roam to the corners. They’re perfectly ordinary corners, except for the fact that the walls don’t connect with the corners. They seem to bend and move closer and farther away wherever you look, unwilling to accept your pre-conceived notion of how walls work. From the walls emanates a loud voice- one of either a man or a woman, you can’t tell. It seems to alternate from one to the other, sometimes both.
Phantomfan

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject:  

Get those last minute nominations in, folks!
Phantomfan

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject:  

We have one Genre that is going to need polling- Best Story Game.
The nominations are....
Tired of Death by Chinaren
Grim Reaping by ashkent.

Get those votes in!
Phantomfan

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject:  

And poll is closed.

Congrats, China! Tired of Death is going to the finals!

Storygames Home -> The 2009 IFYs
Page 1 of 1