Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

The 2009 IFYs - September Nomination Thread
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The 2009 IFYs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: The 2009 IFYs - September Nomination Thread  

Welcome to the 2009 IFYs!

Before you post your nominations, here's a little update...

Introduction

Earlier this year, nominations were taken in each of our 3 Main Forums, Fantasy Forest, Skiffyville and General Fiction, to put forward for the 2009 IFYs final round of voting. Unfortunately due to an attack of RL on the part of our IFY co-ordinator, this event was put on hold.

Citizens were polled as to what to do - whether to start again, continue where we left off, or have a fresh round of nominations on top of what has been done already. The results of the poll are HERE

Based on these results, here's the order of events:

September 1 - September 8: Nomination Phase

Any Storygame which has at least 2 chapters AND had a chapter posted since January 2008 is eligible to be nominated in this round. (Since there was no 2008 IFYs this event encompasses both years!)

September 9 - 12: Preparation for Voting Phase

Any Storygames that were nominated back in April this year which were not nominated again in September will be added to the list of nominees.

Note: Any preliminary voting results in the 3 forums will be voided - this stage is nominations only.
An excerpt from each nominated Storygame will be prepared prior to voting. Excerpts will play an important part in this years IFYs, as we are covering nearly 2 years worth of storygames. This is to help voters make an informed and fair choice whether they have been playing the storygame or not, and also gives a fair chance to storygames finished in 2008 and to those storygames that are yet to be promoted from the New Storygames district.

Authors of all nominated storygames can choose which excerpt they would like to have displayed. However, if they have not submitted an excerpt by September 12, an excerpt will be chosen for them.

September 12 - 19: Voting Phase!

All members are eligible to vote provided they have either played at least two of the contending storygames or have read excerpts from all the contenders.

September 20: The Awards!

Celebrations, commiserations, bloviations and custard pies. :grin:

POST YOUR NOMINATIONS IN THIS THREAD!

Categories:

Best Storygame The Storygame you think is best.

Best Plot : The SG that you feel has the best plot.

Best Character : The best character in an SG - which seems the most believable, real, interesting?

Best description/detail : That one scene in a SG that was just so amazingly described?

Best style/most original : For those more unique storygames.

Best supporting character : Any non-main character nominations here.

Best decision points : DPs can be really tricky - do you remember a really good one?

Best Critic : The most helpful critic! Someone every writer hopes will comment on their story.

Best Non SGotM Winner : Same as the "Best SG" award, but for Non SGotM winners.

Happy Nominating - and good luck to all Authors!
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject:  

At the risk of sounding like I'm sucking up to the mayoral staff, I'm going to vote CF's Magician's Touch for:

Best description/detail : That one scene in a SG that was just so amazingly described?

I've never seen someone put so much work into the descriptions. :cool:
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject:  

I would like to nominate Justice Has Eyes by Half Empty Hero, for best Non-SGOTM.

This SG has been moving quietly along in the Skiffyville department and displays some great writing.

:)
ashkent

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject:  

My nomination for Best Critic goes to China. Always there with something good when i need it.

I'll have a scoot around for nominations in other categories. It's been a while!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject:  

One more day left for nominations!

:D
DeadManWalking

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject:  

I'd like to nominate Liane from Asylum.

Her author had a really innovative idea with the multiple personalities and the way they function, and did a good job writing their interactions, despite the fact that the only character development could take place inside one of the fights. Especially in contrast the other finalist in Asylum, the one-handed mute elemental wizard, whose author was a little heavy-handed.

Although i have an objection to flaming arrows as a cliche.

Just to be clear, i'm suggesting the award goes to whoever wrote Liane, not to IM.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject:  

Only 12 hours to go so get those nominations in quick!

To see which storygames have been nominated so far, check out the initial post of each of the 'Showcase' threads in this forum.

There will be 3 days while excerpts are organised with each of the nominees, in preparation for the vote.

Authors! If you haven't done so already, don't forget to submit an excerpt from your Storygame, which you feel is a good representation.

Either post your excerpt direct to the showcase thread where you've been nominated, or if you prefer, PM them to me and I'll format and post them for you.

Any absentees will have excerpts chosen for them to help give a fair and even chance!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject:  

Nearly all the excerpts are in now - we'll give it one more day, and then on with the vote! :D

Storygames Home -> The 2009 IFYs
Page 1 of 1