Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Feedback on the Multiverse feature
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> How to create your CYOA Interactive Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Feedback on the Multiverse feature  

So, how are you finding the Multiverse feature?

Post your feedback, bug reports, wishlists etc on its functionality here!

:)
Lebrenth

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject:  

I see a lot of the multiverse stories are incomplete, and some are incomplete without any warning when you get started. It would be nice if there were a clear distinction between all of the complete stories and all of the incomplete stories. Finding "The End" in the middle of the story discourages me from reading any more of them.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject:  

I like the concept, I really do, but I don't thing that many people are going to actually do a full story on it.

An MV story requires a lot of planning and a lot of writing! Which of course means a lot of time. Even back in my heyday when I used to write one or even more chapters a night* I doubt I'd have done an MV story.

Still, if one is done, it's a nice thing to play.

*Fug knows how I managed that.
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject:  

I never know when multiverse threads get going. I would at least suggest that those that want any attention drawn to a multiverse story they've done would post somewhere to let us know.

I also agree with Lebby on the matter of the half complete ones - its as if the whole thing would need to be worked out thoroughly before posted, which therefore, adding to C'ren's point, requires an enormous amount of effort to do well. As a result, I find most of them rather... unfulfilling somehow. I'd try one myself, but to achieve the kind of quality I'd want to read is simply too daunting a task. There may be ways around these issues somehow, but I'm not sure how.
Lebrenth

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject:  

Thunderbird wrote: I never know when multiverse threads get going. I would at least suggest that those that want any attention drawn to a multiverse story they've done would post somewhere to let us know.

Good idea. I just finished a MV story and I went ahead and made my own introduction in the Multiverse Discussion Forum so it would show up in new posts and recent posts. It makes sense and it isn't much work. Anyway, it's nice to have a place to talk about the story without distracting from the story.

While posting the Multiverse, I noticed a few more things that could use improvement. For instance, I was surprised we didn't have a lot of the tools we have in normal posting, such as the ability to set the font, add images, or make normal URL links. I intended to set certain words in bold font to make them stand out, but I was unable to. It might be useful to allow the author to make links in more ways, such as how it can be done in most threads.

It can also be challenging to navigate through your own chapters; in some cases you have to add a link to an existing chapter, save the chapter, then follow the link. Afterwards you need to remember to delete the link. It is very easy to get mixed up, or even accidentally break all links to a chapter. I did this when I made a mistake and somehow got it in my mind that deleting the parent chapter would delete all of its children... it didn't. A simple directory for chapter management would work wonders.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: I Think......  

I LOVE the MV feature! I got a "Story" done, but in reality, it's really just a precurser to the actual story. I hope to be seeing you all in School soon!

*Side note. If you'd like to help me with my MV story you can still participate, so don't worry about helping ruining the story. Just PM me, and I'll send you what you need to know to help!* *Bows*
SerriaFox

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject:  

Would it be possible to create a limited list of inventory items for the Multiverse stories? (like maybe 5)?

One use would page count, to show how many rooms you have been it. Might be useful for curricular stories/games who find the exit quickest.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject:  

Maybe to combat the problem of stories not getting finished, we could have multiple authorships? For example, when you reach a 'The End' page there could be a button for "Not a complete story? Write the next chapter now!" although maybe the original author should have the power of veto over it.
SerriaFox

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject:  

A public add-on option might actually get a really good and complete story. Would be best if the original author could enable the feature, maybe with a password?

Might be best to limit editing a page to the author of that page and the original author of overall story.
Emperor

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Fatal Error  

Hi all,
I was trying to start one the other night and when I went to save it I got a message of "fatal error when saving" or something very similar.
Any thoughts?
Lebrenth

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: general error  

Pretty broad error message. Could be a lot of things. You might try asking Ingrothechundyer, who long ago did some dev work for the site.
Key

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:  

I'll check it out.
Key

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:  

Ok, I think I've fixed the problem. Let me know if you have any more trouble.
Emperor

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:  

Key wrote: Ok, I think I've fixed the problem. Let me know if you have any more trouble.

Thanks Key. Working great now

Storygames Home -> How to create your CYOA Interactive Story
Page 1 of 1