Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Mayoral Election October 2010
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election Oct 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Mayoral Election October 2010  

Hey everybody,

It's that time of year again, when we choose a new Mayor to lead the City of IF for the next six months. Our current Mayor, Smee, has decided not to run for re-election. Many thanks to Smee for his years of service to the City.

:cheers:

Post here if you're interested in being the next Mayor, or if you have any questions about the Mayor's duties. If there's more than one candidate, we'll have an election...

:-)
Masterweaver

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject:  

Not seriously interested, but considering. What were the mayor's duties, again?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject:  

I'll be happy to continue in an admin capacity, if people are happy to have me do it. I can't see any major changes in RL getting in the way over the next 6 months.
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject:  

Perhaps it has come time for a council to rule, rather than a single individual. I would love to announce a candidacy, but my life is so hectic and threatens to get worse, to the extent that I would fear a growing inability to maintain mayoral duties.
Smee

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject:  

Good fortune to whomever goes for this... I'm moving house in the next day or two and will be cut off from internet for a period, so may miss the voting.

Have fun :)
Key

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: Not seriously interested, but considering. What were the mayor's duties, again?
The official list of the Mayor's duties is below:
Running the Spotlight competitions, as applicable.
Disbursing fables for all prizes, including Spotlight, linear stories winner, completion of storygames, etc.
Moving storygames to the Hall of Stasis when finished or when they go on hiatus, and back when they're back off hiatus
Warning, banning and deleting inappropriate/spam comments and users as needed
Bestowing custom ranks when paid for.
Creating new groups and forums as needed
Selecting new City Council members and moderators if and as needed
Setting configurable forum options, such as inbox and signature size
Managing the money supply, including setting how many fables are awarded for what activities.
Chairing Council and Citizen discussions on City issues
Being the path of escalation if a citizen is unhappy with a moderator's actions or decision.
Mediating disagreements between citizens
The site has been pretty quiet this summer, so there wasn't much for the Mayor to do, but it seems to be picking up now, so hopefully there will be a bit more in terms of running Spotlight competitions, etc.

Quote: Perhaps it has come time for a council to rule, rather than a single individual.
The Mayor is free to delegate whatever duties he or she chooses. However, I think it's better to have a single point of ultimate responsibility. If everyone is responsible, people tend to let others do the work, and nothing gets done.

Thanks, cf, for stepping up and volunteering! :D

Any other candidates?
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject:  

Not exactly excited, but i think i MIGHT give it a try....!
Key

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject:  

So is that an announcement of a candidacy, Vishal? I think I've got one from crunchyfrog. Anyone else?
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject:  

Very well then. Your comments above regarding a council running the city bear merit, Key.

I will announce my candidacy upon the condition that I might be able to maintain Crunchyfrog as a Vice-Mayor. (which would be up to her of course ;) )Presuming I win an election, I'll be certain to require her assistance in the coming days.

RL is presenting some issues right now but I have a serious love of the city and would love to assist in its persistance in whatever way I can.
Key

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject:  

OK, well if having cf be your deputy is a condition of your running, you should check with her before you announce. ;)

Since there have been a few maybes and conditional announcements, I'll make this more official: if you would like to run for Mayor this term, you must post in this thread with the notice "I declare my candidacy for Mayor" within the next three days. For the sake of clarity, I won't count any of the semi-announcements that have been posted here so far.

Though I am glad to see there's a fair amount of interest.

Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject:  

I declare my candidacy for Mayor

:)
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject:  

I, too, declare my candidacy for mayor o-)
Masterweaver

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject:  

Hmmmm.

Hmmmmmmm.

I do declare my candidacy for pie....

Hmmmm...

And, I suppose, for mayor as well. Let's hope I don't screw up...
Key

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject:  

Great! We've got three candidates then, and thanks to them all for volunteering. :D

The next phase is the discussion of issues. I'll open a new forum for the election, and anyone should feel free to post - candidates may post statements, and citizens may ask questions of the candidates. This will run for as long as needs be to have a thorough discussion of the issues, and then we'll vote.

If none of the three candidates has a majority in the first vote, we will have a runoff election with the top two vote-getters.

Storygames Home -> Election Oct 10
Page 1 of 1