Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

The 'I have a Question' thread :)
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Storygames Home -> Mayoral Election April 2011
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: The 'I have a Question' thread :)  

I have a question! :D

I've been Mayor twice now, and my approach has always been to try and encourage members to contribute in their own way and assist/empower them in whatever way I can. Whether or not it's been an effective approach to the Mayoral role is for others to judge.

So to each of the candidates - What will your philosophy/style/approach to the role be?
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject:  

That's a tough one. Hmmm....

I would like to help IF grow while still keeping true to what IF is. I see IF as a place for me to not only grow as a writer, but to also help others on their way as well. To me, IF is a support system for aspiring authors, and without the support I found here, I'm not sure I would be as far along with my works as I am not. The supportive atmosphere, and and sharp eyed critics are something I think all writters need to be successful.

I conclude that, while I shall do all I can on my own, I hope my words and actions will inspire and aid in the growth and joy here in our fine City.
crazybookgal

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject:  

Well said...now i have a question! *giggles and puts on professional voice* what are your goals in being mayor and how would you achieve those goals?
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject:  

My goals....Hmmmmm...

I would like to find new ways to bring people to our fine City. Hunt through forum sites perhaps and ask if they'd put up links for IF. Bringing in new people is always a goal for any Mayor in IF I'm guessing, and I too hope to do so. I'd like to create a link to IF so I can put it as my signature on some of the other sites I do writing work on.

I also hope to encourage people to use the Multiverse more often. I know it seems complex at first, but I know it can be very fun and inspirational.

I plan on being there for any and all help for all IFians.

I feel the City has fallen into a bit of a slump, and I'd like to do all I can to shock it back to life. Perhaps through more competitions, more interactive SG ideas, and perhaps working with Key to create more things to spend Fables on. There is a site I use for RPing that lets you build Avatars with their form of currency. (Just one idea)

My ultimate goal is to bring IF to more people and maybe open it up to more types of witers.

*Bows*
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: The 'I have a Question' thread :)  

Crunchyfrog wrote: I have a question! :D

I've been Mayor twice now, and my approach has always been to try and encourage members to contribute in their own way and assist/empower them in whatever way I can. Whether or not it's been an effective approach to the Mayoral role is for others to judge.

So to each of the candidates - What will your philosophy/style/approach to the role be?

I feel much the same as you in regards to the role. That said, I would like to invite experienced and active IFians to come to the table with their ideas on how we can expand on the site's recognition online. I see that this is often being done, but I might seek to delegate what I do not feel I alone can accomplish.

If I'm being honest, I would have to say that whenever a good idea strikes me, I tend to act on it anyhow, mayor or not. It may be simply to suggest the concept, or to launch it. Either way. But I have often wondered, if I were mayor, would the responsibility for the city being squarely on my shoulders inspire me to yet more?

I believe the answer would be yes.

One thing I would like to do, if placed in the mayoral role, would be to attempt learning the structure of the coding behind the site itself. I might seek to tweak, adjust, and possibly improve, with Key's approval, on some of the underlying design of the site. I have some ideas in that department - and others have as well where the concept came to a halt due to the void of such skill set among us.

Is it the Mayor's job to support the other authors on the site as much as possible? Sure... but I do hope to impress upon all of us that it is every IFian's prerogative to do so as well - this supports us all around. I have always tried to keep up on just about everything written here. If I have issue with a chapter, I attempt to express it in as constructive a manner as possible rather than choosing to abandon the story as a whole. And what I like about it I try to point out as well.

But this is for all of us to maintain. What has always made IF one of the best places online is that there have always been prominent IFians that do this - attempt to keep up on everything anyone presents here, offering support, feedback, encouragement, constructive criticism, and in general simply showing interest in the efforts of others. Without this, no one person alone will be able to keep our city alive. Therefore, I would seek to find ways to help to guide others into taking up this goal as well, without pressuring to the point that interest is lost. Its the sort of thing we do because we love the site and anyone who deigns to love it as we do.

Some of Pope's concepts are really good. I especially like the concept of trying to open it up to more 'kinds' of writers. I'm wondering if some of the site adjustments could achieve this. (I'd like to open up a couple more genres to their own dedicated focus among such proposed adjustments.)

Forging links and optimization are of course a constant and ongoing concern, one which I would like to enlist aid in as well as be willing to dedicate some efforts towards. We absolutely must achieve some greater visibility.

But we need to know what makes IF works in a sustainable long term manner. What is it about we quirky IFians that makes us lurk this site rather than others? We have had a lot of discussions about what we should do to improve on the site, but perhaps we do not yet fully understand what makes it work in the first place.

Crunchy, you have always stated it best, in my opinion. It is the people. I hope to introduce ways for this most wonderful element of our fair city to be more greatly highlighted - hopefully without being too greatly at the expense of the core of the site, the storygame itself.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject:  

New genres would certainly help. Its something 've been waiting for ever since I joined ;)

But, on with my question...

(I have always wanted to ask the toughest questions :lol: )

What do you fear would be your weakness after becoming mayor, and give me some reasons why we should vote for the OTHER candidate?!
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject:  

Tough indeed. Thanks Vishal :grin:

Well, I'd have to say that I always worry about my own long term reliability. There's always going to be a chance that something could happen in my financial circumstances that forces me away from IF (away from the web entirely) for a time. But at the moment, its looking a bit more stable than usual so that's not as much a concern.

Plus, I have limits on how much time I can spend dedicated to IF. I have my hand in a number of pots and I AM married so she sometimes guides me to spend time in other directions than I had intended.

But all that said, I doubt any of it would severely impede my capacity to be an effective mayor here. If I believed it would, I wouldn't be running. And I have stayed out of some races for those reasons.

Pope? He's a good guy in general. I don't know if anyone realizes this, but I believe Pope has the most actively running stories currently on IF. That shows some dedication to me! He reads and follows most SGs and is very good at offering uplifting feedback, even when it includes constructive criticism.

Pope is one of the most active members on IF and as a result, I think he'd do an absolutely great job as a mayor. And I don't feel it hurts my chances to say it either. As soon as he stated he was running, I smiled and sent him a PM to welcome him to the race, letting him know I was happy to have him in the running.

I feel better knowing that if I were to lose this race, IF would still be in competent hands.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject:  

I'm not sure if this is a question for the candidates, but-- would it be possible to split the mayoral responsibilities among the two contestant? Would this be administratively feasible? My thinking is that dividing the work might be positive because if one person has too much deal with in their daily responsibilities and has trouble acessing the site, the other person can pick up the ball for them.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reponse  

Hmmmm.....Good question Vishal-kun. *Thinks about it*

I'd have to say my biggest weakness are inexperience. I've read through the IFki and all the old IF Quirers and I realize that being Mayor can be tough and complecated at times. My lack of internet savy worries me more than anything. I love the City, and will do my best to sreve it best I can, and I know that when I need help, previous Mayors as well as the rest of the IFians are here to support me. That thought lessens my worry over my own ineptitude. I believe that I shall be able to overcome this weakness, and even if I mess up, I know you all won't hold it against me. :P

Thunder-kun has already proven to be excelent in the feild of responsabilities. He's been running the tresury after all, and is the High Lord Chancellor. In my eye he's dependable and has a level of dedication I feel I'd be hard pressed to match. Through the intrecasies he's displayed in his most prominent SG, Heavy Metal, I can see his intense attention to detail and love of the written word. All these things let me know that he would make a great Mayor.

As for your question D-Lotus, There has been some inter-candidate discussion about the matter. Rest assured, your concerns are being addressed. *Big shiny smile*
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject:  

That's right, D-Lotus. Pope and I had a discussion just yesterday that confirmed that whichever of us wins will assign the other as Lord High Chancellor - potentially as a backup mayor if needbe but also as the mayor's right hand. Duties to be determined by our strengths and weaknesses.

How poigniant that you should ask ;)
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject:  

I'm not sure poignant is the word... but maybe the fact that I arrived at the same reasoning from a different point of view does confirm that your plan is a practical idea. :)
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject:  

Thunderbird wrote: Tough indeed. Thanks Vishal :grin:

Your welcome ;)

You know the answer to these questions really surprised me. I now have more to think of when I vote :cool:

Quote: That's right, D-Lotus. Pope and I had a discussion just yesterday that confirmed that whichever of us wins will assign the other as Lord High Chancellor - potentially as a backup mayor if needbe but also as the mayor's right hand. Duties to be determined by our strengths and weaknesses.

TERRIFIC! :D :D
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject:  

If you don't mind, I'd like to turn the tables a bit.

I have a question for all IFians!

Would you be so kind as to share some of your impressions of why you would and wouldn't vote for either Pope or I? This could help us to understand the final results... and assist us both in becoming better IFians. I would ask you to avoid being overly biased in your answers, displaying the positives and negatives in us both, as you see them, in roughly equivalent degrees.

In the meantime, I'm sure I speak for both of us to say we look forward to further questions from each of you as well.

@crazybookgal: It was pointed out to me that I may have glossed over your previous question. I did intend to answer both of those first questions in my earlier reply. But to be direct, my goals in seeking the mayoral role are simple, find ways to promote, improve on, and inspire to greater heights this wonderful city of IF. Without this city, I would have never understood what a great joy writing can be. Without its longevity, I may never know what it is to have a completed work. Without IF, I would be bereft of so many friends I have come to appreciate in my life, and I would know I would have missed out on so many to come. Therefore, I run so I can help the city in the most potent way possible.

For specifics of how I'd like to drive the city forward, you may refer to my earlier response. But in general, the answer is again simple: I'm always thinking of ways to do so and I'm always open for more input from my fellow IFians. WE are the city and our ideas matter!
Lebrenth

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:  

Thunderbird wrote: Would you be so kind as to share some of your impressions of why you would and wouldn't vote for either Pope or I?

I'm definitely leaning towards voting for Thunderbird because of his experience. Thunderbird has been contributing to IF for well over a year, so I can be sure he's dependable and he's seen his share of the ups and downs of the city. Pope has only been here 6 months, which isn't shabby, but it means he hasn't seen nearly as much. It's especially disquieting that he's never seen the city in full swing, as we've been in a nasty slump since last summer.

Something that works for and against Pope is his excellent work with the IFQuirer. He's doing a great job, which commends him for a role as mayor. However I don't want mayoral duties to distract him from the newspaper, as I doubt there are many others who could do the editor's job as well as him.
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: The Question at Hand  

As most of you already know, I'm the definition of "New" to the City. From what I've seen so far, however, this will certainly be a tough decision. Both candidates have some formidable strong points.

Pope- you were the first to personally reach out to me with a message, encouraging me in my writing and helping me to better understand the City. Through that, I saw your heart for Ifians--both new and experienced. That means a lot to me.

Thunder- in one single post on my story, I was given a glimpse of what I guess to be a deep well of wisdom in the area of literature. Knowing that and remembering that the City is a place for authors, you, too have stepped up to the mayoral plate, so to speak.
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject:  

I'll be etching a cross in the Thunderbird tablet this time. T is an experienced Storygamer (who writes some damn good work) and a long time ally of Chinaren Inc.

I like the way he thinks, and with his experience on IF I'm sure he will take the Mayor's office to new depths not seen since that fine orange fellow resided there.

Also he may return a valued Plotorium quill I left behind back in the day. ;) It's mine, honest.

All that said, both candidates are worthy, so either as Mayor would be a fine choice, and Pope has shown some good work on the IFQ, despite the sudden and still unexplained disappearance of Bob McBobsky and co.

BTW, I think I left a fine Insparatium printing block in the IQ offices, from back in the day. :cool:
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject:  

In theory, I'd vote for Pope because I think he'd get more out of the experience. But in practice, I'll abstain since I prefer that both candidates work together. :cool:
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject:  

Actually, I am undecided so far, but I wouldn't abstain.

Thunderbird has been around for a very long time, and he probably knows more about the city than anyone else does.

Pope has been excellent at IFQ, and so it is only possible that he do a great job as mayor, but experience is the only thing that's holding me back.

Also, what they said about their negatives makes me think. Actually speaking, TBird convinced me to vote for pope more than Pope did for Tbird, but looking at experience, I might just vote the more experienced candidate
crazybookgal

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject:  

I agree about the experience thing, and i have been thinking how this will affect the IfQ.

However Thunderbird does have his times where he kind of disappears...

For bolth of them I like the fresh ideas they plan to bring to the city. This really is a hard one guys :D
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: In theory, I'd vote for Pope because I think he'd get more out of the experience. But in practice, I'll abstain since I prefer that both candidates work together. :cool:

When I ran against Smee two years ago, we went several days with just two votes apiece - EVERYONE was abstaining, for that very reason. I pleaded with them that if they were undecided, to just vote. (12 people then plumped for Smee :lol:)

Abstentions are a bad thing in Mayoral elections. If you can't decide and the two candidates are working together, look at it this way. Strip all the metaphorical pomp and politics out of the way. You are voting for who you think will do a reliable job at the administrative controls.

And if you still can't decide, just vote either way, to show your support for IF.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject:  

Wooo, double post. I'm catching up guys!

Thunderbird wrote:
Would you be so kind as to share some of your impressions of why you would and wouldn't vote for either Pope or I? This could help us to understand the final results... and assist us both in becoming better IFians. I would ask you to avoid being overly biased in your answers, displaying the positives and negatives in us both, as you see them, in roughly equivalent degrees.

I believe that Thunderbird has a wealth of experience on the dynamics of the site, and his insights into the creative side and community side will make him a strong Mayor. Pope's fresh enthusiasm is spreading like a tonic throughout the community, and I believe that will make him a popular Mayor.

Their drawbacks as I see them have already been mentioned: Sometimes RL takes precedence for Thunderbird (which is in no way a crime!), and Pope has less experience (not a crime either!)

However both are quite capable of overcoming these drawbacks I think, as both can rely on each other, on Key, and on the experience of others around the site.
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject:  

If we're going to get rid of procedural pomp, CF, then let's cancel this election and have them start sharing responsibility immediately. I am using the vote as I think will best support IF, and that way is to abstain.
Key

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: If we're going to get rid of procedural pomp, CF, then let's cancel this election and have them start sharing responsibility immediately. I am using the vote as I think will best support IF, and that way is to abstain.
The topic of sharing responsibility has come up in other elections as well. I'm all for sharing responsibility and would encourage any Mayor to appoint a Deputy, use the Council, etc. as he or she sees fit. However, I think it works better if there's one person who's ultimately responsible, so I'd prefer to have a single Mayor rather than multiple co-Mayors.

And I have to say I agree with Crunchy on abstentions. Obviously voting is not required, but I encourage everyone to vote, I think it's a good way to participate in City life.
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject:  

That's right. I don't think either Pope or I were suggesting that we would split the mayoral role down the middle or share the full responsibility, just that we would delegate some of the responsibilities to the other so as to be a stronger 'government'.

Nevertheless, the decision as to who becomes mayor is an important one. Each mayor has left a unique legacy of both positive and negative impacts from their terms. Each has brought their own vision to the site and has helped to guide it to what it has become today. And every mayor to come will do the same. It is a powerful responsibility, provided you feel that the site is something more than a fly-by-night roadstop along the websurfing highway. In my opinion, IF could become an important footnote in the development of human literature, making mayoralship a rather sacred duty to uphold, and a truly great honor to bestow.

Now, all that said, I cannot take issue with your stance, D-Lotus, as we all have a right, not only to our opinions, but to express them. Nevertheless, I would ask that we keep a certain sense of civility and maintain the utmost of respect when we expose, by means of expression, our disagreements.

I must wonder, however, if abstinence of the exercise of voting rights indicates apathy regarding the site and/or who is appointed to manage it? Or is it a vote of no-confidence to either party? Either answer suggests that there is perhaps a long-ignored, un/mis-represented opinion about the direction of the site that has not been given its due... Is that, by chance, the situation that drives you to abstain?
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject:  

In the first place, one might take issue with the whole idea of democratic voting and whether it actually leads to effective leadership, but that's not my issue. I'm also not trying to withdraw my support of the City, although it is being cast in that light. I don't even think that having 30 votes in a mayoral election will in any way help stir activity in the city; in fact, it might even detract by providing a diversion from the site's storygames. I don't think there's a correlation either way-- one claim would be just as valid as the other. To give you an example, I remember one election that was a run-off between 3 candidates which, although it had many votes, ended up creating hurt feelings and people leaving the site. To summarize, then, I don't think that voting in a mayoral election is necessarily beneficial. What is truly essential, rather, is participation in the site's storygames.

Do I have apathy? Well, I have apathy towards elections outside of IF, so maybe that is the case. But let me clarify: my apathy is towards this election, not towards the site (although ironically I now seem to be spending more time writing this response than reading stories. Maybe that provides substance to my theory that elections distract from storygaming?). Perhaps I would be more motivated if I had seen any major changes during any of the other mayors' time in office. Maybe there have been, and my memory needs to be jogged, but for the most part, I get the impression that the mayoral duties are rather menial. One doesn't need to be mayor to help change the code of the site, even. I think we had one individual, jrnmcs (or a username similar to that), who helped Keavney with the site's coding without ever being mayor.

But it's definitely not a vote of no-confidence. I just think that you are both equally capable for a position which requires time-commitment but no special knowledge or leadership skills, as far as I know. Maybe I've gotten the wrong impression of what the mayoral duties consist of, in which case, I'd like to hear back from you. I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong.

So this is my answer: I'm abstaining because either way I believe you are both capable of carrying out the administrative duties of the site (it'd be even better if you shared responsibilities), and because I don't think voting for this election has been proven to contribute to this site's richness.
Lebrenth

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: .I think we had one individual, jrnmcs (or a username similar to that), who helped Keavney with the site's coding without ever being mayor.

Right letters, wrong order. His handle is jnmrcs and he has definitely done a lot to help IF, besides being a nice guy.

How does an election detract from the city or its storygames, D? It has attracted your attention, but I haven't seen you around the recent storygames. It's interesting, and I think interest gets more interest, and more active members attracts even more active members.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject:  

I don't see D's opinion as a show of apathy or a vote of no confidence. He has brought up a very important point which we should all be aware of.

D-Lotus wrote: To give you an example, I remember one election that was a run-off between 3 candidates which, although it had many votes, ended up creating hurt feelings and people leaving the site. To summarize, then, I don't think that voting in a mayoral election is necessarily beneficial. What is truly essential, rather, is participation in the site's storygames. D-Lotus wrote: One doesn't need to be mayor to help change the code of the site, even. I think we had one individual, jrnmcs (or a username similar to that), who helped Keavney with the site's coding without ever being mayor.

In these two statements he has hit on something which we all need to learn from if we haven't done so already.

A good Mayoral candidate is one who recognises that the smooth running of the city is more important than the prestige of winning an election. IMO A good election is one in which all participating candidates recognise this.

What happens during a Mayoral term is mostly down to the community. The contributions of jnmrcs and others like him is a prime example of this. But - without a single Mayor who has the ultimate responsibility for making it happen, nothing will happen.

IMO this is, by the above definition, a good election. Whoever wins, we can guarantee that person will be dedicated to the role and do their best for the smooth running of the city.

And as TB says...

Thunderbird wrote: Each mayor has left a unique legacy of both positive and negative impacts from their terms. Each has brought their own vision to the site and has helped to guide it to what it has become today. And every mayor to come will do the same.

And that is why I will be voting in this election.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject:  

I'm hot on the double posting today!
D-Lotus wrote:
But it's definitely not a vote of no-confidence. I just think that you are both equally capable for a position which requires time-commitment but no special knowledge or leadership skills, as far as I know. Maybe I've gotten the wrong impression of what the mayoral duties consist of, in which case, I'd like to hear back from you. I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong. - Sorry D I'm not picking on you, it's just that when I read this through again, I realised that it'd probably need an ex-mayor to answer this. :D

The official list of the Mayor's duties can be broken down as follows:
Running the Spotlight competitions, as applicable.
Disbursing fables for all prizes, including Spotlight, linear stories winner, completion of storygames, etc.
Moving storygames to the Hall of Stasis when finished or when they go on hiatus, and back when they're back off hiatus

These functions can and often have been delegated to the High Lord Chancellor which atm can moderate all forums, or City Council members, who can moderate most forums. (Although setting up the Spotlight forums is a Mayoral task)

Warning, banning and deleting inappropriate/spam comments and users as needed
Bestowing custom ranks when paid for.
Creating new groups and forums as needed
Selecting new City Council members and moderators if and as needed
Setting configurable forum options, such as inbox and signature size
Managing the money supply, including setting how many fables are awarded for what activities.
These functions can only be performed by the King or Mayor.

Chairing Council and Citizen discussions on City issues
Being the path of escalation if a citizen is unhappy with a moderator's actions or decision.
Mediating disagreements between citizens
These functions are those that fall more into the leadership category, and are the responsibility of the Mayor.

These are the core functions that would need to be performed at the minimum. There are others that have been introduced along the way which have been continued in one form or another. One such example is the IFday awards - which because of the permissions can only be done by the Mayor.

Another is the Welcome PM to new members - although this can be (and currently is) a delegated function.

Some functions can only be performed by the King, such as changing the Spotlight on the home page, strengthening the Great Wall of Registration, and performing back-ups. But it is still up to the Mayor to ask the King to perform these functions where needed. (Currently, making these requests is not delegated, although it could be)

Anything else, such as competitions, events, the IFQ, the IFYs, IFki, and site developments can be done by anyone. The Mayor can be personally involved in these as much or as little as he/she wishes, but the ultimate responsibility is for him/her to give administrative support where it is needed to ensure that these things happen. (Although where technological know-how has been lacking on the site development side, the Mayor has often asked the King for help!)

Different Mayors have approached the role in different ways, depending on their personal strengths and weaknesses. Some are more proactive at leading events, while others inspire through their writing or critiquing.

I hope this helps - not just for anyone voting in this election, but perhaps for those who might consider running for Mayor in the future.
crazybookgal

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: To give you an example, I remember one election that was a run-off between 3 candidates which, although it had many votes, ended up creating hurt feelings and people leaving the site.

Elections are elections D. I don't exactly know what you mean by hurt feelings, but if you're running for something, you know you might lose. If you mean some people were nasty during the election, or something like that, that's just people being immature. I don't think there's much chance of that with the people commenting here.

Quote: my apathy is towards this election

why do you bother posting here if you don't care about this election? I mean this thread is for asking the candidates questions and deciding who should be mayor, not whether we should have an election at all!
crazybookgal

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject:  

Okay i look back at that last post and maybe it's a bit harsh, but i feel this conversation is digressing into something trivial.
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject:  

Well, I can fully understand apathy towards elections from any US citizen. We're only now beginning to see the full depth of the political situation here. We've lost our 'Government of the People' and now have a 'Government of the Money' where banks and corporations call every shot, regardless of any votes that take place. I could go on and on about that.

And I recall that campaign season you're discussing, D. You make a valid point, but I felt that season only went farther to remind us all that we should vote - for a mayor who can show not only competence but absolute love and dedication to the site - one who isn't in it for the 'popularity contest'. Nothing is worse than having terrible leadership around the site. We're only now beginning to recover from that fiasco. We can't let it happen again.

That said, I completely understand that your position is coming from the same motivation. We all go to war with the enemy in our own way I suppose.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Sorry  

Sorry for vanishing for a few days guys, and I see I missed quite a bit of disscussion. My mind is a little over warm right now to nit pick through everything I just read, but I would like to have a word.

Even if it feels, to the avreage citizen, that the Mayoral duties are minimal, and that no one Mayor has ever made a big change here in the City, I must say that I can't really agree with that. Unseen, or unheard, without a Mayor this City would have a tough time running as smoothly as it does, in my humble oppinion. I got a small peek into the difficulties of being Mayor when I became an editor of the IF Quirer and also when I got my own forum. The questions I had to ask, and the dregree in which I needed to be lead to get things right made me respect the Mayoral office all the more.

I know what I just said most likely hurt my chances to get elected, but I feel it had to be said. Being Mayor isn't just about doing your duties, it's about being someone others can look up to for help, and guidence. True, most members of IF are more than willing to help eachother out, but often times, people feel more comfortable asking someone who has been recognised by their fellow citizens as someone they can rely on. That's what the Mayorship is to me. A position which allows one person to be the foundation stone for their fellows citizens to build and grow on. That is how I feel about all this.

I must make a few fun pokes here. I forget who said it, but they were right. At least the election got some activity out of you D-kun. *Smile*

And to Thunder-kun....Why the RL politics? *Sniffles* Makes me sad.....

I pray you all take your time in thinking about who you'd like to vote for in this comming election. I can't wait to find out the results! Happy thoughts!
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII wrote: And to Thunder-kun....Why the RL politics? *Sniffles* Makes me sad.....

Sorry, Pope. Just hoping to show some understanding for D's frustrations, something I, too, feel strongly about.
Smee

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject:  

Interesting discussions.

Fundamentally, the mayoral position came about because Key recognised his own real life obligations might mean he couldn't devote the time necessary to keep what he'd built alive.

And boy is it something worth keeping alive!

Having an 'admin' - someone able to solve 99% of day-to-day problems - isn't a necessity for a community. Some online communities have wandered on fairly steadily even with long absent admins, something Shillelagh could attest to over at the Infinite Story website. However such a lack tends to slow activity down, it becomes that much more difficult to attract and facilitate the arrival of new members into the community. Simple tasks can become a chore which can drive the irritation that be-gets change - the vanishing of the population.

An admin, a mayor, isn't some wonder cure that prevents all that. It doesn't on its own negate any such possibility of a community falling apart. But it is in my eyes a very valuable lubricant of the community cogs. An iron that has the power to smooth out many of the bumps and creases that annoy, irritate and detract from what the community is about, allowing the rest of us to get on with why we're here.

Both candidates here are, in my opinion, well up to that task.

I feel Pope can almost complete the task with sheer enthusiasm alone and the rest of what he needs will be learnt, discovered or taught as necessary (every IF mayor has direct contact with previous mayors to ask for opinions, ideas, advice - you're far from alone.)

TB I've known for some considerable time. He's got a head start with experience of some of the inner workings of IF, and some truly fascinating ideas for future improvements.

It fills me with pleasure that IF sails on with fresh new blood at the helm, and I watch with great interest to see what exciting waters we find ourselves in.

Happy Writing :)
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject:  

Thank-you for that run-down of the mayoral duties, Crunchy, it was useful and increased my appreciation for what the mayor does. Now that I am more well informed, nevertheless, I will continue to abstain because I still believe that either of the candidates is capable of handling the administrative responsibilities. If you really, really want me to vote, maybe you could arrange it so that I can have 2 votes-- I would cast one for each candidate. But as I said, there is no proven correlation between increased participation in mayoral elections and increased participation in storygame/site activity.
crazybookgal

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject:  

:lol: D you make me laugh. 2 votes? You sure are determined.

I think having election like this adds to the whole "city" feel. I might be wrong but as far as i know the whole city concept is quite unique. Every city needs a mayor :D

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject:  

I am going to lift my voice here now, Thunder you said that you wanted to be mayor, but isn't the one thing you really want to learn Maya, or have I taken on that responsibility, I believe both you and pope would make good mayors, but what about working together to improve the site. As D had said, there was help before, and voting does upset people. But even if I voted. I still contributed. Asked Key for an audio upload option. I believe both of you have great ideas.

would you guys help people contribute to the site? If they enjoy and agree on something like one person in the same. The tech brained people, to even the people going through a hard time. It'll always get some fame when all agree on everyones ideas. Like as I've said before, splice your ideas together, like a herbalised plant to heal the forum....... haha! :D
I will vote, but I do believe the one who contributed the most would infact be a good source and most trust worthy.

Kindest words, BBS
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject:  

Also ask for video :P
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject:  

I've always wanted an audio upload option here as well - would love to backdrop chapters with songs from the playlist!

But to answer your question BBS, as best I can understand it, as I said, I always have my hands in a lot of pots. I've been modding CivIV extensively with C++ recently and feel I could tackle some coding where the site is concerned, but that would be something I'd want to take up with Key only if I were to become mayor.

As for maya, its an abject curiosity, one of the many programs I'd like to develop skills in eventually. I'm not right around the corner in working on that right now. Its a down the road thing for me.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: I think.....  

I've always been an internetaphobic, so if my stories get read, it'll be my sis reading them. She'll love the attention. *Grins* I will be working it in Bark-chan, don't worry. As for everyone else, any more questions?

I'd like to pose one of my own. Just a little expariment.

If you were running right now, and had a chance for only one shpeal, what would it be? What would you write here as your whole campain statement? Write them below, if you would. I'd like to see something.

Storygames Home -> Mayoral Election April 2011 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2