Free online storygaming

Is This Me? 005 - Going
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Is this Me?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Is This Me? 005 - Going  

Going

The boy watches as Tarith stands, panting hard. The light inside him glowing so strong, it seems to be overflowing. Taking a few steps towards him, the boy reaches for it. The instant his fingers make contact, the light flashes brightly. Blinking, he watches the glow travel up his arm and into his own chest. The bright yellow surrounds his light, and he can feel it's near burning touch. His eyes snap up when he feels a hand over his own. Bringing his focus off of the light show, he sees Tarith gazing at him, brows furrowed. 'So warm. Can it be too warm? Too much' He feels his body relax. Looking back over at Lassich, he sees the beast watching him with a steady gaze.

Blinking slowly, he lets his hand fall. “Kid? Are you alright?” The boy turns back to Tarith. Cocking his head quizzically, he looks himself over, searching for a reason for Tarith's worry. He hears Tarith chuckle, causing him to look back up. Tarith is smiling. Shrugging, he says, “I don't know what it is kid, but you can always make me feel better.” Placing a hand on the boy's head he mutters, “Thanks.” Moving past him, Tarith walks over to Lassich and kneels down. The boy brushes a hand through his hair. Coming across a knot, he immediately moves around the hut and heads inside. Reaching high on a shelf, he pulls down what Tarith calls a comb, and starts untangling his hair.

The man and scaled beast watch him vanish around the corner of the hut. As soon as the boy's out of sight, they turn to face one another. Staring for a long time, they begin sizing each other up. 'What can this beast be thinking? Yes, the kid saved him, but does he expect us to believe his every word?' Tarith looks hard at the creature before speaking. “A Tremist huh? Happen to know the name of this demon?”

Lassich stares back, the tip of his tail twitching. His voice grates out slowly, “Master does not grace his minions with such knowledge.”

Tarith nods, sitting back on the dark grass surrounding his home. 'Yes, my home...But we can't stay here. The kid's not safe here. I can't send him off alone, or leave him here while I go take care of this monster hunting him.'

Tarith feels a dull ache pulls at his chest. 'Why? Why now...We were happy here. No one hurting him. No mobs chasing me. No more loneliness. We were so happy here...Weren't we?' Tarith blinks several times. 'Happy...Well, I was at least, but the kid? He should be happy too, but can he do that here?' Tarith again feels the draw in the back of his mind. The feeling that makes him think there is so much more to the boy, and the air of mystery that hangs upon him like a dark shroud. He looks up as the subject of his confusion comes around the corner of the hut. His tail wags feebly as the kid comes over an crouches down next to him.

Slumping down into a sitting position, he pulls the boy into his lap. Sighing, he rests his chin on the small, now neatly combed head. Taking a deep breath, he voices the thought running rampant through his mind. “If we are to take Lassich's words at face value, then you are now in grave danger. We can't vigilant all the time, and as far as I'm concerned, you got lucky with Lassich. So, that being said, I think it's time we leave. We can't go head-to-head with a Tremist, so I think for now we need to run. We need to find out exactly what, and who, we are dealing with.” Pausing, Tarith buries his face in the boy's shoulder, trying to find words to express himself.

Tilting his head up, his chin rests gently on the kid's small right shoulder. Lassich watches the two flesh beings silently. With another deep inhale, he goes on, his voice quiet. “I don't know how to protect you. You may not remember it, but terrible things have happened to you. The evidence is etched into your very flesh. I swore to myself I wouldn't let anything, or anyone, hurt you ever again. But, I couldn't even protect you this close to our home...” He tightens his grip on the boy in his arms, shaking with the thought of what could have happened. “We have to leave. Even if you left alone, it wouldn't be safe for me here ever again. If it's alright with you...I-I'd like to travel with you. I'm a freak, and I'm sure that will bring no end of trouble, but...I'd like to stay by your side as long as you'll have me...” Trailing off, Tarith waits patiently for the kid to respond.

The boy, having quietly sat and listened to Tariths words and worries, closes his eyes in thought. 'Tarith is smart. He teaches. He will come. But where? Where can we go? Tarith says we can't go to the one who sent Lassich, but he is the problem, is he not? Knowledge. We must know more. Leave here to learn more.' Suddenly, a shudder runs through his small frame. All thoughts cease, and a darkness overcomes his mind. His hands come up slowly to cradle his head. He can feel Tarith move, but he can't respond. A blinding light burst forth in his mind's eye. Everything he's learned, everything he's used to make himself whole over these past few months race by, causing his head to throb. Trying desperately to grab hold of something, anything, he feels a whine break loose. Then, without warning, it all turns to darkness once again.

A small light appears in the dark of his mind. He watches as it slowly comes forward. When it gets close enough to make out, he realizes it's him. 'Me. But...' He watches as the figure of himself begins moving. He watches it run back and forth with it's arms out as if it's holding something. It kneels, running it's fingers over something the boy can't see. After a time, he understands. The figure is doing all the things Tarith has taught him. Not a moment after coming to this realization, the figure stops. Standing, it moves towards him. Stopping an arms length away, it stares straight into the boy's eyes. Reaching up, his hand hovers over it's shoulder. Cocking his head to one side, he asks aloud in his mind, “Is this me?”

His hand comes down and settles on the glowing figure. After a moment, the being shatters. The boy watches as the fragments of light dance about in the emptiness of his mind. The lights come together under his still outstretched fingers. He can feel it's warmth. As soon as the last bit of light gathers under his hand, he turns it over. There, nestled in his palm, is a bright yellow orb. Pulsating and glowing bright, it feels right. Pulling it in close, it lifts off of his hand. He watches silently as it floats up to his chest. His eyes widen a fraction as it passes through his clothing and flesh. He watches as the once dull gray light he's always seen resting in his torso changes color. The new, lighter shade glistens ever so slightly, flickering ever so softly. He gasps as a new warmth spreads throughout his body. 'Like when Tarith's light comes into me'

The boy lets out a long exhale, his eyes opening, only to snap shut immediately at the overwhelming light of the early morning sun. After the blackness inside his head, the boy takes his time getting used to daylight again. He feels a cool cloth being drawn across his forehead. Cracking open an eye, he focuses on the worried looking face of Tarith hovering over him. Blinking several times, his vision clears, and his eyes adjusts. Tarith Looks up across his body and says, “He's awake!” The boy hears a rough dragging sound and a big scaly head comes into his line of vision. Lifting his hand, he brushes his fingers over a few scales beneath Lassich's head before dropping his hand to his side. With a small heave, he props himself up on to his elbows. “Are you ok? You're not hurt are you? Your injuries must have been worse than I thought. I should have known better!” The boy watches as Tarith continues to berate himself. Blinking slowly, his mouth opens.

“I'm fine.” At his words, Tarith stops mid rant. Looking at the kid's face, he feels his mouth fall open. 'He, he's smiling...' Falling back on to his backside, Tarith gazes in awe at the slight upturn at the corners of the child's mouth. Shifting up to his eyes, his heart skips a beat at what he sees reflected it their steely depths. What once led to dark tunnels of emptiness now holds a faint gleam. Leaning forward, he brings a hand up to brush away ebony locks to get a better look. The boy stares back, the soft smile melting away, leaving behind the boy's usual emotionless look. But there, deep in his eyes, the gleam stays. Pulling him into a firm hug, Tarith lets tears of relief flow freely. 'Whatever happened while he was out, gave him back a piece of himself. Oh thank Venaah!'

Not wanting to question the good fortune, Tarith refrains from asking about what happened. Pulling back, he wipes his face and says. “It's still early. We should pack up some provisions and head out. I'll make a pack for you and for me in case you want to...go alone...” Tarith trails off as he realizes he still doesn't know whether or not the boy still wants to be together.

Standing, he takes a few steps towards the hut when the kid's voice brings him to a halt. “I want to go with you. Together. It is...good to be with you Tarith.” Taking a deep breath, Tarith nods, and keeps walking. Inside the hut, he works quickly. He pauses when he realizes his tail keeps knocking things over. Smiling wide, he shrugs it off, and continues working. 'Together. I can't wait. I can hear a change in his voice too. I'm too happy for words.' Slipping the comb into the front of the smaller pack, he slings both over one shoulder.

Sitting quietly, the boy runs through all that had just happened in his mind. 'So. That is me? Who I am? Or is it not? It broke, which means...what?' Heavy breathing close to his ear snaps him out of his reverie. Blinking a few times, he looks to his right, and comes eye to eye with Lassich. Bumping his nose softly against the boy's arm, the boy can hear a snuffling sound. Reaching out with a delicate hand, he rests his fingers on one of the beast's eye ridges. Lassich's eye's slowly close. The kid watches his fingers move back and forth behind the ridge, causing a low growl to rumble out of the scaled creature. Fascinated be the near involuntary action, the boy simply watches as Lassich lay down, still crooning.

Movement catches his eye, and the boy looks up to see Tarith returning. The sun has risen to just above the canopy causing Tarith to be outlined against it's brilliance. But even they light of the sun seems dim compared to the light shining bright from the man's chest. Coming to his feet, the boy moves slowly towards the light. 'Will this light shatter too?' Raising a hand, he hesitates. A slight pain flickers across his chest. 'I...don't...want it to....' His mind begins drawing him away, when suddenly a warm hand wraps around his upraised hand. He's shocked back to reality as Tarith pulls his hand forward to rest on the pulsating light. 'It did not break' Tilting his head, he looks into Tarith's eyes. Tarith smiles down at him. “Shall we go?” The boy nods, then turns back to Lassich, letting his hand slip from Tarith's grip and fall to his side.

“Will you come as well?” He inquires softly. Lassich turns his body to face the two. “If you wish me to come, I will. But first I must heal. I will stay here, and do my best to misdirect the ones who come after me. I know your scent, they do not. If you travel down the river until you are out of the forest, they will be unable to track you.” The boy sees Tarith nod at this. Bowing low, Lassich rests his head on the ground. “I do not know how much time I can give you, but I will do my best.” Settling his full weight on to the ground, he looks up into the boy's eyes. “I owe you my life. Not once, but twice. I will repay that debt.” Cocking his head to the side, the boy looks up at Tarith in question.

Chewing his lip, Tarith contemplates how exactly to explain a blood debt. 'Well, I've never dumbed stuff down before. Why start now.' Taking a deep breath, he begins, “Some races have strong moral standing when it comes to actions. You not only refrained from bashing his skull in, you hurt yourself pulling that...thing...out of his neck. In essence, his life now belongs to you.” The kid blinks in that slow way he does when absorbing new information. Then, after a few seconds, he says, “One can not own what can belong to none other that the one whom which without it would be no more.” Tarith is taken aback not only by the kid's words, but more so by the flash if what looked like anger that passed across his face as he said them. Slipping an arm around his shoulder, Tarith turns towards the stream. “You know? You're right. That aside though, we should get going.” Tossing his hand up, he waves good-bye to Lassich and heads for the water, drawing the kid along with him.

Splashing into the icy water, Tarith makes a split second decision. With a quick swoop of his arm, he scoops the boy up and settles him straddling his waist. The boy slips a hand around the back of Tarith's neck. Looking over at the small boy's face, he smiles lightly as the kid seems completely unfazed at the sudden movement. After several minutes of silence, Tarith starts humming. Feeling a small hand come to rest on his chest, Tarith's tail begins swaying in time with the tune. When they reach the yellow palath ferns, he feels the kid shift in his grip. Looking down at him, he smiles at the sight of the kid covering his nose and mouth with the top of his tunic. “Very good,” he mutters before following suit. After passing the fern, it takes less than an hour to reach the edge of the forest. Red leaves give way to the lighter shade of rusty red sky.

Tarith hesitates at the border, casting a final sorrowful glance at the forest he's called home for so many years. With a sigh, he steps forward. In a few more steps, he's on dry land. Letting the kid down, he looks all around, searching for signs of anything hostile. Seeing none, his eyes drop down to watch the new center of his life wander around, head whipping back and forth. His tail wags a few times, and he calls out, “What are you looking for?”

The kid turns around to face him, “I was here. I began here.” After stating this strange fact, the kid leaves Tarith standing there, trying to figure out what he ments by that.

Walking in long strides, the boy heads in the direction he's sure the place he first remembers is. He's vaguely aware that Tarith is following behind him, more intent on finding the place. 'I can feel it. Strong, inside. I need to see it' Coming to a boulder, he scuttles to the top. Standing, he scans the area. Covering his eyes against the glare of the sun, he finally spots it. 'The first place' Launching off the boulder, he hits the ground hard, stumbling slightly. As soon as he's steady, he's off. He can hear Tarith's heavy foot falls behind him as he runs low to the ground towards his destination. He comes skidding to a halt a few steps from his intended target. Walking slowly forward, he steps into the small patch of trampled grass. Barely wide enough for him to stretch his arms out in, the place hasn't changed one bit. No new grass. The old flatted grass still moist.

Kneeling down, the boy presses his fingers against the bent stalks. The whole area seems to light up for a moment before going back to being plain old grass. He hears Tarith walk up. Turning his eyes to the man, he whispers, “I began here.” Looking around the area, Tarith nods slowly.

Tarith steps into the circle, and again the ground flashes, causing Tarith to freeze. “What the?” He utters, starring at the now non luminous soil. The boy stands, walking over to Tarith. He feels as if there is something else there, moving him. 'More. I need more. I must find all' Letting his thought fade, he stalks out of the patch and heads for a nearby rock. Brushing past Tarith, still frozen to the spot, he gives a little tug on his sleeve as he passes.

Moments later, the man follows. Climbing on to the boulder next to him, Tarith's tail begins swaying again. Looking towards the mountains, he says, “If we're looking for information, I'd say our best bet is to head for Begrath. It's a city in the mountains. I've been there once. All the people there seemed fairly accepting, and open. It'll be less trouble then trying Neft, or the Grand City of Sekmate to the south.” The boy listens, letting the information sink in. 'We must know more. Knowledge to understand. Tarith knows much more than I'

“To the north then.” Tarith nods. Sliding down the stone, Tarith holds a hand up to help the boy down. Taking the offered hand, he hops down.

Walking just ahead of the kid, off slightly to the left, Tarith sets a brisk pace. 'With luck, we can make it to the lake before sun down. Now We just need figure out how to get to the other side. I know there's a pass through the mountains, but I'm not sure if the kid would be able to handle it...It's cold up there...' Letting his mind wander, he begins humming, letting his tail keep the beat. He begins fading out when he's snapped back to reality after feeling something brush his tail every other swing. Looking back, he watches the kid bat at the furry appendage every time it swings towards him. Stifling a chuckle, he continues humming, and planning.

'Well, luck seems to be with us today. No large scaly beast in sight, and the lake on the horizon' Tarith muses as the glare of the sun obscures his vision. The sun is setting slowly behind the mountains as the duo come to the end of the grassy plain. Looking hard against the glare, he scans the water's edge. He spots something on the shore a little left of where they came out. A good two hundred yards away, he can barely make out the outline of a fairly large boat. 'It's a ferry. It has to be' Looking down at the boy now standing motionless at his side, Tarith contemplates their options.

+++++++++++++

Oki, sorry for the big delay there. There was some major life issues invading my...life... Anyway, they've left the forest, there are big bads after our hero, and they need to get past a big lake.....How do YOU think they should do it?
kkdestiny

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject:  

I'm gunna be the boring one and think about using the ferry right off the bat. *nods*
fairywaif

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:  

Well I suggest one of two options, depending on the make-up of the lake. First off, how big is it, and secondly, does it contain any fauna? Especially large, carnivorous fauna that could eat them. If it's small-ish and there isn't anything that will eat them, I suggest they try to swim it. Unless Lassich can't swim. If Lassich CAN swim, could he carry them all across? That might be safer than simply swimming by themselves.

Basically, my two suggestions are swim it or have Lassich carry them.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Ummm.....  

Lassich isn't going to be joining them for a while, and I'm not sure if he can swim....Most likly he can. The lake is flanked on both sides by mountain, and there isn't mych growth other than what's in the lake itself. Carni plants sound like fun, I'll think about it. Thanks for the ideas! and the review. Welcome to IF!
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject:  

Probably best to distract the owner of the ferry away and steal it out from under him. Make the owner swim! Can't trust anyone right now as they could be affiliated with our foe.

For feedback, I would suggest to watch how and where para's are being defined. Make sure they keep the same subject and when the subject changes, start a new one. I was struggling to keep understanding what was being expressed and I think that's part of it.

This applies to dialogue as well... only one speaker per paragraph... if someone else speaks, start a new paragraph.

Another confusing part for me is trying to decipher between inner dialogue and outer dialogue... try italicizing thoughts. ' ' works but its a little harder to take notice of for the difference to remain clear to the reader.

One thing I do like is how you never shy away from the emotional content in the tale. This creates very deep characterization.
crazybookgal

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:  

hmm, carnivrous plants-wat about a carnivorous boat? that drives itself?

about the emotional stuff, i agree w/ thunder, it makes the characters come alive
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Ummmm.....  

Ummm.....Can I get a few specifics about the changes needed. I get blinders on when it comes to my own writing, and I have trouble seeing the issues with it. Hewp me out Thunder-kun? *Big shiny eyes*

I thank you all for your enjoyment of my stories, and I hope to not dissapoint you all in the future. I'm on it! I'll set up the poll tonight so I can get working on the chapter. Maybe we can get some more suggestions?

Belay that thing about putting up the poll. I just realised it too soon! So, keep'em commin'!
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry I've been gone from this for a couple of chapters Pope. I just haven't had much time to give to IF recently, and my own latest chapter is giving me some trouble too. But I've managed to catch up now.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you 'get the blinders on' when it comes to judging if your own work is any good or not. I'm exactly the same. I can read through a chapter 5 or 6 times, and still miss some mistakes. One thing I can point out to you is something I'm constantly guilty of, and that is repetition.

Quote: The lights come together under his still outstretched hand. He can feel it warming his hand. As soon as the last bit of light gathers under his hand, he turns it over. There, nestled in his palm, is a bright yellow orb. Pulsating and glowing bright, it feels right. Pulling it in close, it lifts off of his hand.

In this section, the word 'hand' is used rather alot, and the same word repeated too many times in a paragraph can be a little jarring. I do the same thing, though not with words usually. More with actions and titles. It's something I try to watch out for, but like you said, sometimes it's hard to find the mistakes in ones own work.

I agree with everything Thunderbird said, especially about the dialogue. It's hard to work out who is actually talking at times. Here's an example:

Quote: The man and scaled beast watch him vanish around the corner of the hut. As soon as the boy's out of sight, they turn to face one another. Staring for a long time, they begin sizing each other up. 'What can this beast be thinking? Yes, the kid saved him, but does he expect us to believe his every word?' Tarith looks hard at the creature before speaking. “A Tremist huh? Happen to know the name of this demon?” Lassich stares back, the tip of his tail twitching. His voice grates out slowly, “Master does not grace his minions with such knowledge.” Tarith nods, sitting back on the dark grass surrounding his home. 'Yes, my home...But we can't stay here. The kid's not safe here. I can't send him off alone, or leave him here while I go take care of this monster hunting him.'

There are two characters speaking in this paragraph, but because the dialogue isn't broken up for each character, it takes the reader a moment to work out who's talking.

The man and scaled beast watch him vanish around the corner of the hut. As soon as the boy's out of sight, they turn to face one another. Staring for a long time, they begin sizing each other up.

What can this beast be thinking? Yes, the kid saved him, but does he expect us to believe his every word? Tarith looks hard at the creature before speaking. “A Tremist huh? Happen to know the name of this demon?”

Lassich stares back, the tip of his tail twitching. His voice grates out slowly, “Master does not grace his minions with such knowledge.”

Tarith nods, sitting back on the dark grass surrounding his home. Yes, my home...But we can't stay here. The kid's not safe here. I can't send him off alone, or leave him here while I go take care of this monster hunting him.

Broken up, like this, makes it that much easier, and the reader doesn't need to stop reading to check who is speaking. It make it flow better. I've also italicized the parts where the character is thinking, as TB suggested too.

I hope this helps. I'm not very used to pointing out mistakes, as I make so many myself that I don't really feel that I have any right to do so. But I also know that such critiquing has helped my own writing in the past, and it's only right to do the same for others. :)

All of these are mostly problems with the layout. The quality of your writing overall is very good, and I have enjoyed reading this SG very much. You should be very proud.

I also agree with TB about the emotional depth of your story and the characters. You get a very real sense of how each character thinks and feels, and it's a very good quality to have as a writer.

As for the dp, if Tarith knows his way on foot, I would pass the ferry by and continue on. As it's been said before, he doesn't know who to trust, and it's probably best to stay away from other folk for now.

Looking forward to the next chappie, Pope! :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject:  

An excellent Crit, Tiks! I think we all have a right even though we make mistakes of our own. Lord knows, I find many of the things I critique in others in my own chapters when I go back to read through them a day or two after posting. The process of critiquing helps ourselves as much as the person we're critiquing and I would hope by now all of us here realize we do it to help, not to beat anyone down.

I don't have much to add... That was a great way to highlight what I was trying to say and reminds me I should take a bit more time to explain myself when critiquing as well.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Yo  

I went through amd made some changes to the last chpater...I'ma have to run through the other chapters so swap over the itallics in thought. I'm a lil out of it now, so I think I'll do it later....Hope this'll help!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject:  

Haven't forgotten this one - will get to reading it soon!
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Polling  

Alright! We're polling! Got 5 options this time, Whoo! I must thank crazy-chan for the off-the-wall option in this poll. I almost missed putting it in, but then I remembered somthing about carnivrous plants, and went looking for that post....

Anyway, happy voting everyone!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject:  

Finally caught up, and I too agree with TB's and Tik's observations on the chapter.

And that's an excellent crit there, Tiks. :cool:

I've voted to take the ferry normally - on balance I think it is physically the safest route across, and taking it normally might arouse less suspicion than stealing it. You never know we might get some info from the ferry man on the way.
fairywaif

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject:  

I voted! I went with safe rather than interesting.
crazybookgal

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject:  

you know what i voted for :lol:
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject:  

The votes are in and!!!

How to proceed past the lake
Steal the Ferry
16% [ 1 ]
Take the Ferry across normaly
50% [ 3 ]
Swim
0% [ 0 ]
Use a carnivorous boat that drives itself
16% [ 1 ]
Go on foot through the mountains
16% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 6
Who Voted: crazybookgal, Crunchyfrog, fairywaif, kkdestiny, Thunderbird, Tikanni Corazon

We'll be taking the safe root, ir is it? >.> <.< This prolly won't go up for a week or two. I'm off to an Anime convention for three days next week out of state! YAY ANIME DETOUR!!!! See you all around!

Storygames Home -> Is this Me?
Page 1 of 1