Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Run.
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Storygames Home -> Run
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Run.  

In honor of the impending victory of Thunderbird as mayor ;) I thought I'd put one my speed tales on IF as well as Tome City. So, this will be a tale on both sites, with votes and suggestions taken from both, much like T's excellent Heavy Metal.

If you've read any of my speed works, and, assuming I can keep it up*, you'll know you have to be fast with this one!

So, introducing...

Don't look behind you!

Update!

A reworked Run is now available as an ebook. You can find it by clicking on the image below.

Warning! Danger Will Robinson! Danger!
As readers familiar with my works will no doubt be aware, sometimes my stories contain content that is not suitable for the little 'uns or people adversed to/allergic to: Bad language, adult situations, adult content, and general bad taste.
If you fall into the youngster or adverse categories, please read this with your eyes closed.

*Lawks!
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject:  

Randy Harman walked down the hallway towards the door that held his fate. Every step was harder to take, and he could feel his stomach lurching and trembling as the butterflies fluttered inside it.

Eventually, half way towards the headmaster’s office, he had to stop and lean against the wall.

“Come on Randy,” he hissed to himself. “It’s not the end of the world. People have been sent to the principal for the cane before. I can survive this. I will survive this!”

Thus bolstered by his own bravado, he stood straight again and, with one long, deep breath, squared his shoulders and set his jaw.

His renewed footsteps echoed around the empty corridor as he approached the dreaded portal at the far end. It was painted white, with one of those frosted glass windows set within. The sign by the side read:

Mr. B. Cross – Principal

‘What sort of name was B. Cross?’ thought Randy, wiping sweat from his brow. A principal called B. Cross was just taking the piss in his opinion.

The door was close now, and his resolve faltered. A twinge in his crotch made him grab for that same area in alarm.

No point adding humiliation to the whole affair.

“Bladder, don’t you dare,” he whispered to his stomach area. Randy wasn’t sure what a bladder was, but he’d overheard some of the older kids talking about it, and knew it was something to do with having a pee.

Finally he was there. At the door.

Trembling anew, he raised his hand and, clenching it into a fist, knocked three times. Three knocks that sounded like the toll of doom inside his head.

There was a pause, and he was just about to knock again when the familiar voice of the head, muffled as it was, came through the door.

“Enter.”

Closing his eyes, Randy took a deep breath and turned the handle. He stepped inside, closed the door behind him and turned around.

And nearly fainted.

This wasn’t the Principal’s office!

He was in a long dark chamber. Candles dribbled their wax over holders attached to the walls at various intervals. The ceiling wasn't even visible, so high it was and so gloomy the area. Underfoot was uneven, like the time Randy had been to the beach.

He looked up, eyes wide as a bright light appeared ahead of him. Squinting into the illumination he could just about make out the tall, skinny silhouette of a man with a wide hat. The man’s footsteps echoed as he slowly walked forward. He seemed to have a problem with one leg, so he dragged a foot, resulting in an uneven sound. Step, slide, step, slide, step, slide.

Quaking in real fear now, Randy pushed himself against the door. His bladder, whatever it was, did the thing it did, and warm liquid gushed down his leg.

“Randy Harman?” The voice was harsh and cracked, like the speaker had a mouthful of gravel. A bony finger, the finger of death, pointed at him.

“Y… y… y…” stuttered Randy, unable to formulate an answer.

“Wait.” There was a strange tone to the voice. “What age are you?”

“T… t… t… ten,” Randy finally managed to squeak out.

“Then there is a mistake.” The form turned away, and Randy nearly collapsed in relief. It didn't last long though.

The last thing he remembered before fainting was the man speaking again.

“I will see you again in twenty one years.”

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject:  

Whoo! What's all this? flash backs? or future again! Yea, for thinking out the box. So, when are we playing? :P So he'll be thirty one years old when the person sees him again.
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject:  

A clever intro piece, C'ren! Much enjoyed and looking forward to more. The bladder bit was some good humor.

Too bad we couldn't get in a decision at this point though. Ah well.

Oh, and... sheesh, man, I love the support but I'm not mayor yet and Pope's making quite a good run of it here!
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject:  

Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant!

I've never read C'ren before but this was just plain awesome. Looking forward to what happens!!
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject:  

Great start! :D

Glad I saw your name show up in the new posts list and stopped by to read your new story ;)
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject:  

The good thing about these speed stories of yours is that they can be skimmed quite easily, and thus tend to be a quick read. Now that you've given us an appetizer, we'll have to wait for the main platter.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject:  

Nice intro! Looking forward to the start. :cool:
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject:  

Wow, what a nice lot of responses! Thanks all.

This was only the prologue, so no set DP, though ideas of who the man is and why he wants Randy are all welcome. (My ideas are all hazy atm).
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:  

Hmmm makes me wonder what Randy summoned to assist him with his current problem that was sufficiently powerful (and sufficiently careless) to summon his past self instead of his current self to begin work on his new scheme ;)
crazybookgal

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject:  

Cool prologue :lol:
Well since the title is Run, i'm going to assume whatever is needed from Randy, he isn't going to like it, so maybe he'llbe on the run? shrugs* just a guess
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Part 1 - Toilet humor.  

“See you later Randy,” Mike said, as he wrapped his coat around him.

“Later Mike.” Randy waved a hand in the general direction of his colleague without taking his eyes off the screen in front of him. He carried on skimming through the numbers, double checking them against the gigantic printout on his desk. Several more minutes went by before another head popped over the partition to his cubicle.

“Hey Randy,” the head said. “Are you going to be at the party tonight?”

This time Randy did take his eyes off the screen, putting a finger on the printout to keep his place. He was, secretly, madly in love with Claire Bennet, though he realized that she was so far out of his league he may as well not exist, even if she didn’t already have Chuck, or Buck or whatever the hell her boyfriend’s name was.

“Well?” she asked, arching a perfect eyebrow.

“Whu… I mean, what party?” he stammered. He could feel a blush creeping up his neck.

“John’s party silly!” she said, flashing pearly white teeth. “Didn’t you get the email?”

“I’ve been checking the financials all afternoon,” he said, nodding at the massive list of tiny numbers. “Mr. Harrison told me I had to have this done before I went home. There’s some sort of error…”

“Oh, Harry’s such a boorish idiot,” Claire said, waving a hand in a casual gesture of dismissal. “Hold on.” The head disappeared, somehow leaving Randy’s cubical empty and lonely. The feeling only lasted a second though, as Clair’s head, this time accompanied by her super sexy body, walked through the space that served as an entrance to his little work area.

The cubicle immediately was transformed into a summer meadow. Claire took her sunny disposition along with her, somehow changing the environment around her into a Better Place. She was incredibly pretty, with short blond hair that was artfully casual and yet somehow perfectly formed at the same time. Flashing blue eyes could display a huge range of emotions when she chose, from appealing maiden to saucy minx. A small pert nose wrinkled when she smiled, which was often. Now she stood over Randy, which put her wonderful breasts at the same height as his head. Randy began to get an erection even before her scent washed over him, making him giddy.

“What’s happening here?” Claire pointed down.

“I.. I…” Randy started, thinking she’d seen his crotch. The flush spread up to his cheeks.

“Look! There’s your problem.” She ignored his bumbling attempts to speak properly and, leaning over him, tapped a few characters on his keyboard. “There, how’s that?”

Randy, who’d practically messed his pants as she’d brushed up against him, took several seconds to focus on the screen. When he did he saw that she’d picked up on one section in the accounts he’d overlooked. Immediately everything fell into place.

“You did it,” he said. “I’ve been staring at that all afternoon and you solved it in one second. How do you do that?”

“It’s a gift,” she said. “Now, you’ll be at the party tonight yes? Starts about seven I think.”

Randy, who had actually seen the email, was planning to stay at home and play Minecraft again. He wasn’t good at parties, where popular people ignored him in a social environment instead of the work one. Instead he nodded.

“Great! I have a friend you might like to meet. See you later sweetie.” With that Claire twirled around and departed from his cubicle, which immediately reverted to its dungeon status.

“You lucky fucker.”

Removing his finger from the printout, Randy swiveled his chair about to face the new, and decidedly less attractive head of the only real friend he had.

Donald Roberts, Don to his friends, was a full blown nerd. Overweight, greasy haired and bespectacled, Don had long ago given up any hope of actually mating, as he called it, with any member of the opposite sex that was recognizable as such. Despite this, or maybe because of it, he hit on any and every new female that crossed his path. Thousands of rejections later, he was still smiling.

“I’m sorry?” Randy said.

“She’s so into you,” Don pointed an accusing finger. “You could so do her. Christ, if I were you I’d have stood up, so bent her over the desk and taken her from behind. God, I’m horny just thinking about it.”

“You’re a disgusting pervert,” Randy said, shaking his head, but smiling despite himself.

“I have to do the job for both of us, you’re going to die alone for sure. How old are you now? Forty?”

“Fuck you,” Randy said, stung into defending himself at last. “Thirty, okay, thirty one in a few days. I don’t look anything like forty!” He brushed at his dark hair which, like Claire’s, was ruffled and uncombed. Unlike hers, the effect was more ‘birds nest’ than trendy. Still, he was fairly fit, perhaps a little on the wiry side, not too tall but not too short either. Overall an average Joe.

“Hey that’s right, it’s your birthday soon! What are we doing for that?”

“I don’t want to…”

“How about we have the guys around for a Duke Nukem Forever deathmatch?” Don suggested, referring to a couple of other nerds that tended to orbit their friendship.

“That’s not even out yet,” Randy replied. He saved the file on his PC and then stood up, stretching.

“A friend of mine supplied me with a pre-release copy. It’s fucking great.” Don waggled his eyebrows, which made him look a little like a frog in distress. “Are you leaving now? We’re the last in the office. I don’t think I’ve ever been the last in before.”

“Let me take a piss,” Randy said. Don didn’t have a car, and as he lived in the same building they carpooled, though Randy was fairly sure carpools usually took turns.

“Great,” his friend said. “I’m going to snoop around people’s desks then. Call me when you’re ready to go.” He disappeared back into his own work area.

Shaking his head, Randy made his way through the cubicle farm that was the office, towards the gents.

“Don’t go.”

The voice was so low that it was barely audible. If it hadn’t have been so quiet, Randy wouldn’t have heard it at all. As it was he screeched like a girl and jumped sideways.

“Don? Is that you? You fucker, if you jump out at me again…” He peered around the side of the cubicle, but there was no one there. Shaking his head, he made a face. “I’m going mental.”

He turned and carried on his journey towards the toilet, mentally pushing down The Memory that always tried to surface when he was under stress. Feeling his stomach do the familiar lurch, he quickened his pace and pushed his way into the gents.

He barged his way into the first cubicle, dropped his pants and sat on the cold porcelain. Before anything could exit though, it happened again.

“Don’t go.”

The voice came from the next stall, and had the twin effect of kick-starting Randy’s bowel evacuation and scaring him so much that he jerked to one side.

The double whammy meant that he missed the bowl and poo’d over half the floor.

“Shit!” he cried, both from the jump and from the resulting mess. It didn’t help that it took several more seconds to stop the flow, and thus he continued to spread things around even more. “Oh my god, fuck!” he wailed as he tried to make up his mind whether to run screaming from the toilet or try to stop the ongoing catastrophe.

“Don’t go to the party.”

The resurgence of The Voice made up his mind for him. Without bothering to wipe, he pulled his pants up as best as he was able and waddled at best speed out of the washroom. Colliding heavily with Don as he exited, he bounced off the wall and, still tangled in underwear at half mast, landed heavily on the floor.

“Holy fuck,” his friend said, taking a step back. “That must have been some shit.”

“It’s in there!” shrieked Randy, flailing around on the floor like a beached fish.

“Well, better in than out my gran always said,” Don replied, apparently taking his colleagues breakdown in his stride. “You should probably calm down and pull your pants back up though, I believe you’re in range of the security cameras, and you know how that incident with the intern managed to find its way onto YouTube last month.”

Panting hard, Randy made a more coordinated effort to do himself up. “Just go into the restroom and see if anyone’s in there,” he begged. “Please.”

Shrugging, Don pushed at the door and disappeared into the toilet, leaving Randy to finally regain control of himself.

He was just about back to normal, at least clothing wise, when Don returned.

“Well?”

“Dude,” Don replied. “You need a serious amount of beer. How anyone could miss the bowl by that amount is beyond me. My diagnosis is: you are too sober. Come on, let’s go. We have a party to attend.”

“There was no one in there?” Randy asked.

“No one in their right mind would be in Shitsville. What do you eat? I’m sure crap shouldn’t be that color.”

“I heard a voice.” Now that he said it out loud, Randy began to feel foolish. Had he really heard a voice? Several of his shrinks had told him that his inner self was trying to make itself heard. He hadn’t taken any meds for years now. Perhaps he could get a new course.

“Wait a minute, did you say ‘we’?” he asked.

Don wrapped one arm around his friend’s shoulders. “What sort of buddy would I be if I let you go to a party alone?”

>>>>>>

Okay, possibly a bit of a lame SP, but:

Should Randy go to the party or not?
And who/what do you think the Voice is?

<<<<<<
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject:  

ROFL!

Terrific! Brilliant sense of humour with a light mystery... Nice!

I think Randy should go to the party. If he doesn't, he'd be doing exactly what the voice wants him to do. I wouldn't be doing that. Plus, he's got a friend with him. Why not call his other buddies and head over?!

I have no idea what the voice is btw. Next time, make sure Randy notices whether it sounds like a male or a female. Will help narrow things down. :D
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject:  

Well, I'd put The Memory, The Voice and bodily functions together and make a good three. :grin:

Good stuff C'ren, most gigglesome. Nice to see a new one from you. :) - Could probably use a language warning in case there are any around here who are faint of heart. (though I'm not sure there are, these days) :P

I'd take the nerd to the party. If the Voice is a benevolant thing, the nerd can be a redshirt if required. If the Voice is bad, then the party will be good.
Smee

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject:  

Sod the party... giant cobblestone fortresses of doom* don't build themselves you know... go home and load up Minecraft ;)

*Complete with skull face fronting and lava flowing from the eyes.
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject:  

K, poll is up. Stick your finger into the orifice of voting. Be quick though!
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject:  

Wow, C'ren, that was some of the best comedic work I've seen from you yet and that's really saying something. I was half expecting Claire (by the way... Claire Benett... really? C'mon man!) to be heading to the women's restroom right about the time he barged out.

Who is the voice? hmm... too many ideas there to pick one to present. IMO this is one of those kinds of things I'd rather see the author decide so that we are left wondering.

But yeah, that was friggin' hilarious!
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject:  

Hehe, toilet humor never fails. Now I could go for some party humor.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject:  

Hey chin, well... This is a good story, but tis a bit confusing, did the guy crap himself? Please, clear it a bit... o-) So, I still think you are funny, but I'd understand if the guy who fell on the floor, just lost my train of thought....its back. So if the guy who fell on the floor, did infact have this problem for years because of coke, drugs, or since birth.... :D
Smee

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject:  

Clearly a lack of people here who have properly enjoyed a good hour* on Minecraft.

I'm disgusted :x

Chinaren

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: Clearly a lack of people here who have properly enjoyed a good hour* on Minecraft.

Only 85? I'm shocked Smee. I think I've spent about 85 days on the damned thing! It's severely impacted my writing. Just talking about it now makes me want to go and work on the current tower I''m building (bedrock to sky's the idea).

I'm on my third world at the moment, V1.5_01 yay!(with weather!). Pics from previous efforts here.

Anyway, :off:. I'll try and do another chapter of Run now. Despite the drunkeness.
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject:  

A reworked Run is now available as an ebook. You can find it by clicking on the image below.

Chinaren.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject:  

So, she can hear it too. Now is that good? Hmmm.

If Voice is benevolant, then she's bad, but then Arnold or Don might come to the rescue.

If Voice is malevolant, then she could be either, but we're in redshirt mode either way.

Well... best way to find out is to go through with it, I say. What does he have to lose, except maybe his virginity by the sounds of things? :grin:

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject:  

Fine here is my joke, Its not 4th of march, its always wookie time when some lady doesn't shave... ;) The voice or the girl, well, if she can hear it, is it the force talking to him! May the force be with you... Or its the quirrie in his ear or navel. Good part of the story, listen to the voice. I should say. Or I would have talked to her, and actaully ask her who is in his head?
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject:  

Chinaren wrote: *Original Star Trek reference. If you don’t get it, you’re probably missing half the jokes in this story.
:lol:

I doubt his faithful friends are going to be much help at this point. How about asking her "What is that? It's driving me crazy and I need help!".

EDIT: Or we could always go with BBS's suggestion :-D
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject:  

Say nothing. Just kiss the girl! I mean totally just lay into her with all that pent up frustration you've got boiling inside! And while making out with her, pat her down inconspicuously and angle her around so you have access to the door in case you somehow need to make a desperate escape.

I think he needs to play with fire a bit here to find out what this infernal voice is getting at.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: I Think......  

I've been meaning to read this, but RL has been keeping me from reading much for the last day or two. Anyways...

HAH! This is a real kicker. The characters are nice and real, the situations very human. I'm a real fatasy nut, but this one has a great super normal feel to it. The sterioypical nerd Don is my fav guy thus far. Ugly or not, he's keepin' it real and nerdy! (Being a nerd myself, makes me proud)

. . . . .Restrain her with whatever's hand, and force some answers out of her. He's been having mental issues for several years, and I think the chance here to possibly solve at least the latest one would be too tempting to pass up. Even if he does have to get a lil rough with this either a.)Slut b.)Bad guy in disguise. I'm a real Voice fan, but I'd try and get out of her what I could (non sexualy) before listening this time.

If she suddenly morphs into somthing big and scary, at least it's a closet and not a room. Escape is much easyer here :P

Great story, much luv!Can't wait for the up date!
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject:  

Okay then! This is a Speed SGame, so let's keep moving!

Thanks for your suggestions people! Some good ideas.

Anyway, poll is erect, pull on the sock of voting, and don't forget to add this to your favorites if you like it! :D
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject:  

Sorry guys, been out all day, so no chapter today. Tomorrow.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject:  

Chinaren.
Thunderbird

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject:  

I'd say he needs to see what he can view beyond the grate. Is there any way to get up there?

Also... try poking and prodding along the stones of the wall... never know, there might be some kind of secret passage.
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject:  

Probably no way to escape this place. Better to play dead and then act by surprise.
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject:  

Might try asking the voice in his head for more information now that it seems a bit more reasonable ;)

Other then that I agree quietly exploring might be a good idea. If nothing else he might find a place to ambush whoever comes to do something to him.

I'm not sure what he could see beyond the grate though as it is so dark that he isn't sure if he is blind or not.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject:  

Some very good suggestions for such a limited SP! Thanks guys.

I'll wait a little bit more before hitting the polls.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject:  

Tough one I guess.

Well... It looks to me like he's been drugged. If he's not blind, that's a good thing, because vision would come back eventually.

We'd have to wait before that to make a move. After that, we'll have to explore the place.. basically, nothing more than what everyone else has said here.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject:  

Like oblivion? There might just be a passage. These people would probably stop him from going through there. *sorry just wiping black make up from my eyes* I'd shut up and think of a plan. Take any old chains use them, or you can search the cell to see if there is another person around...
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Chapter 4 - Cold.  

Chinaren.
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject:  

Wow, someone who doesn't seem to be threatening him is listening to him. I say he spills everything in a desperate bid for some allies! He may need them right now.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject:  

Very well, the poll (suggestions from Tome and IF) is now up.

Vomit into the bucket of voting.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject:  

Well, Poll was up before I could suggest anything, but luckily, I found what I wanted in the poll.

This is a really nice story, but I am confused about our surroundings really. WE were in some sort of a cell.. and then what happened?! We're in a Home now???!

Also, talking to voices reminds me WoD's Legion of Soulbreakers... which must have had a chapter long ago. I wonder what's up with him.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this C'ren! Good writing!!

Storygames Home -> Run Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4