Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

How should chapters be sorted in their own forum?
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Open Forum Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: How should chapters be sorted in their own forum?  

Ok it seems that there is some confusion on the new chapter sort MOD and how it works.

Currently it sorts the chapters in DESCENDING order (High numbers are on top and low numbers are on the bottom). Unsorted posts are on the top.

I set it up this way because that was how the storygame forums that I have seen sorted were mostly set up.

Now it has been brought to my attention that some members were expecting this feature to sort in ASCENDING order (low numbers are on top and high numbers are on the bottom). This would put unsorted posts on the bottom.

~~~

Also please note that the sort numbers DO NOT override the topic status flags. So a Sticky will NEVER be placed higher then an Announcement no matter what you do to the sort numbers.

If you have generic stuff that you want to fall in a certain place in relation to the chapters but you don't care how they sit in relation to each other you can give them all the same sort order value. So if I had three topics that I wanted on the bottom and I didn't care how they related to each other I could give them all a value of 1 which would stick them all on the bottom of the pile.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject:  

Descending sounds good to me. Found one little anomaly though - if you are sorting more than one page worth of threads in one go, you can only do it one page at a time.

For example, if you sort the threads on page 2 of your forum, then click on page 1 and continue sorting without clicking SAVE first, your threads on Page 2 will appear ABOVE the threads on page 1, and their ordering numbers won't be saved.

Not a show-stopper IMO, I should imagine it'd be easier to save as you go when sorting a large number of threads anyway, but thought it needed a mention. :)

Awesome again. You're on a roll!
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: For example, if you sort the threads on page 2 of your forum, then click on page 1 and continue sorting without clicking SAVE first, your threads on Page 2 will appear ABOVE the threads on page 1, and their ordering numbers won't be saved.

Unfortunately that is the way it is designed. You should see the same behavior when mass locking, unlocking, etc...
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject:  

I don't think it really matters... either way, so long as you can get them in a logical sequence that makes it easier for the reader to follow.

Storygames Home -> Open Forum Archives
Page 1 of 1