Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Quote of the Week
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Writer's Academy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Quote of the Week  

The best way to improve your writing is to read. In the spirit of that, I will be presenting a quotation that I deem worthy of note each week. I don't like posting quotes out of context, and will therefore only be posting quotes that I have come across while reading. I do a lot of reading from the public domain, so I will also post the URL of the book as well, in case you want to read them.
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:  

H.L. Mencken wrote: I advocate clubbing a dog that barks unnecessarily, which all dogs do. I enjoy hangings, particularly of converts to the evangelical faiths. The crunch of a cockroach is music to my ears. But when the day comes to turn the prisoners of the zoo out of their cages, if it is only to lead them to the swifter, kinder knife of the schochet, I shall be present and rejoicing, and if any one present thinks to suggest that it would be a good plan to celebrate the day by shooting the whole zoo faculty, I shall have a revolver in my pocket and a sound eye in my head.

This is a longer one, but I found it delightfully pleasing and so decided to share it. It comes from the Sage of Baltimore himself, Henry Louis "H. L." Mencken, from the book Damn! A Book of Calumny, XXXVI - Zoos. You can download it, or choose to read it online, from here
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject:  

Great idea! Love it!
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject:  

Abbé Joseph Roux wrote: The desert attracts the nomad; the ocean, the sailor; the infinite, the poet.

This one comes from the French abbot, Joseph Roux, from his book Thoughts. You can read it or download it from here.
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject:  

W.B. Yeats wrote: Let us go forth, the tellers of tales, and seize whatever prey the heart long for, and have no fear. Everything exists, everything is true, and the earth is only a little dust under our feet.

From The Celtic Twilight by W.B. Yeats. Download it, or read it online, from here.
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject:  

Alfred, Lord Tennyson wrote: Break, break, break
At the foot of thy crags, O Sea!
But the tender grace of a day that is dead
Will never come back to me.

The last stanza from the poem Break, Break, Break by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Read it online here.
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject:  

Philip K. Dick wrote: '"Tomorrow morning," he decided, "I'll begin clearing away the sand of fifty thousand centuries for my first vegetable garden. That's the initial step."

This one is not available online, as it is still in copyright. It comes from The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch which I have not read yet; I saw the quote at the beginning of The Exegesis of Philip K Dick.

Wikipedia page about the book.

Storygames Home -> Writer's Academy
Page 1 of 1