Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming
 

Chapter 11: A Sea of Choices
Click here to go to the original topic

 
       Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Key



Joined: 08 Feb 2004
Posts: 2622
Location: The Royal Palace

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Chapter 11: A Sea of Choices  

The story so far: You are Lodevar, the leader of a rebellion of sheephead slaves against their masters, the Bullroar minotaurs. You formed an alliance with the merfolk against the Bullroars, but have discovered that the merfolk King plans to betray you and allow the Bullroar fleet to pass through safely to your island base and slaughter your people. Meanwhile, you and the mermaid Lalomea have found the merking’s secret son, Lewellyn, who has the same unique form as you.

Last Decision: Try to get Lewellyn to persuade his father to help you.

You’re tempted to take Lewellyn captive and bring him back to Freehome. It’s time you had a hand in this merfolk game, you think. But you know that Lewellyn is blameless. In the end, the right thing to do just seems to be to talk to him. If Lewellyn is truly loved by his father, maybe he could convince his father to help you.

You, Lalomea, and Nelectitus swim closer, staying out of sight as you move up against the rocks where Lewellyn is fishing. “Stay low,” you say to Lalomea. “Draw him down and tell him the truth. Ask him to summon his father.”

Lalomea pokes her head out of the water and calls to Lewellyn. He comes, seemingly delighted to see her, and they speak for awhile in the language of merfolk. Lalomea’s tone is anxious and serious. Lewellyn laughs several times as though he doesn’t believe her.

Finally Lalomea motions to you to come up, and you do, emerging from the water to show your true form, but keeping low enough that the merfolk guards don’t see you.

Lewellyn stares at you in amazement, and you take the measure of him. He’s taller and older than you, but with a thin, almost frail body. His skin is soft and smooth: the skin of a pampered prince, you think. But his eyes stop you – sharp blue, and deep like the sea. This prince might be soft, but he’s not shallow.

“I’m asking you to help my people,” you say, not even knowing if he speaks your language. But he nods, his eyes still wide upon you.

“I never knew,” he says.

“We have to hurry. The Bullroars could attack at any time.”

“I know, I just…it’s all so much. I- there’s someone I need to talk to about this.”

“What are you talking about?” you ask. “Who?”

“My teacher. He’s very wise. He would know what to do.”

“Your teacher?”

“Yes. His name is Horchow. He’s a giant sea turtle.”

“You want to ask a giant sea turtle whether he thinks you should help us?”

“Yes. He’s just in the lagoon, not five minutes walk from here.” Lewellyn points over his shoulder onto the island.

Now you feel like you’re in a merfolk game again. If you let Lewellyn go inland, he could betray you and alert the guards. You could go with him, but just emerging from the water you might be seen. Should you hold him here? Should you try to take him back to Freehome against his will?

What sort of a creature is this turtle anyway? If he’s Lewellyn’s teacher, he’s probably appointed by the merking and would take the merking’s side. On the other hand, if you could persuade the teacher of the justness of your cause, maybe he could help convince the merking.

So many possibilities, so many choices. You’re at sea again, and time is running out for Freehome.

What do you do?

Chapter 11 poll is up. Scroll down to vote...
Back to top  
Reiso



Joined: 27 Oct 2004
Posts: 917
Location: Western North America

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject:  

I think that Lodevar's best bet is in speaking to Horchow. He seems wise enough that he may be persuaded to side with Lodevar, or at least question the wisdom of the Merking.

Simply going with him however, risks exposure. So my suggestion is that Lodevar tells Lewellyn that he can speak with this turtle if he must, but in order for the turtle to make an informed and accurate decision, he should be brought here to the shore and at least see Lodevar, if not speak with him.
Back to top  
Random
Guest





Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject:  

Well said Reiso and exactly what I was thinking. Is there a reason that Horchow could not come to us? I'm not sure Lodevar would trust another merperson after hearing the plot to use him so I don't see him letting Lewellyn out of his sight for now.

On the other hand, Lodevar seems to a thinker, stubborn but a thinker. Therefore he might realize the advantage of trusting Lewellyn. Hoping that trust will be enough to keep Lewellyn honest.

Personally though I think Horchow should be brought to them. Perhaps Lalomea could go and get him.
Back to top  
Ravenwing
Guest


Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 3750
Location: Virginia

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject:  

I don't see any harm in allowing Lewellyn to talk to Horchow. He may actually have some good advice to give to Lodevar.
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject:  

Horchow should be brought there by lalomea.
Back to top  
Mordok
Guest





Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:  

It's not as easy when you know both sides of the story.

I would have just voted for Lodevar to threaten Lewellyn, but now I know his story too.

Lets go with Rieso's plan. D could be right about who to send after Horchow too.
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject:  

Well, it IS the only person you can send....
Back to top  
Reiso
Guest


Joined: 27 Oct 2004
Posts: 917
Location: Western North America

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:  

It's true that he would stay in Lodevar's sight the whole time if Lalomea is sent to get Horchow, but then I have to wonder how her presence might be noted by the guards if she is seen. It's not an annual visit or anything, so wouldn't she raise suspicion as well? Would she be able to deflect their inquiries if she is challenged?

Also, I am not sure Horchow would go with her, but Lewellyn should be able to convince him.
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject:  

Then we could have Lalomea go with him, he could get her through if he's really loyal...or lalomea could...'promise' him her love if he is good. She could seduce him...or she could have a knife in her hand as she goes with him.
Back to top  
Ravenwing
Guest


Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 3750
Location: Virginia

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject:  

LOL. D you had to suggest some way to 'coerce' the guards. Too bad Lewellyn can't speak to Horchow through mental telepathy or something. Then Horchow could come to them instead.
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject:  

Actually, why doesn't lalomea go alone to get Horchow? (sounds like a cat name)
Back to top  
Key
Guest


Joined: 08 Feb 2004
Posts: 2622
Location: The Royal Palace

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject:  

Sounds like the two options are:

- Send Lalomea alone to bring Horchow back
- Send Lalomea and Lewellyn to bring Horchow back

Anything else?
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:  

As far as I can see as well.
Back to top  
Key
Guest


Joined: 08 Feb 2004
Posts: 2622
Location: The Royal Palace

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject:  

OK, the poll is up! Happy voting.
Back to top  
ethereal_fauna
Guest


Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Posts: 2567
Location: USA

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject:  

I chose to send both. He trusts Lalomea, and Horchow trusts Lewellyn. At this point a lot seems to be based on trust.
Back to top  
Smee
Guest


Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Posts: 5215
Location: UK

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject:  

Good point Fauna, I'm going for both as well.
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject:  

Don;t trust Lellewyn!!!!!!!1 :D :D :D :D
Back to top  
kenshin himura
Guest


Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Posts: 333
Location: in your dreams

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject:  

yes, I think that we should send them both just incase he canot be trusted.
Back to top  
Key
Guest


Joined: 08 Feb 2004
Posts: 2622
Location: The Royal Palace

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Voting complete  

Thanks to everyone who posted and voted. The final decision was to send both Lalomea and Lewellyn to get Horchow. The next chapter will be based on that decision.
Back to top  
 
       Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
Page 1 of 1


Powered by phpBB Search Engine Indexer
Powered by phpBB 2.0.16 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group