Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

IFians! Your Input is Needed!
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Writer's Academy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: IFians! Your Input is Needed!  

Now that the Writer's Academy is open for business, it is time to start looking towards running classes. It is still in planning, but the basic idea is to host classes on various topics related to writing. These classes would include everything from grammar to style and any other topic that people are interested in. They would most likely be held in chat by myself and/or a professor/guest who is knowledgeable on the subject. Here's what I need from you guys:

Would you be willing to attend such classes?
What sort of subjects are you interested in?
How many fables would you be willing to pay to attend such classes?
What range of time would be best for you to attend?

If possible, please post the times in GMT to save me some conversions. And don't say something like 3:00 AM GMT, give a range of times you might be available like 3:00 AM GMT - 5:00 AM GMT. I'm going to have to decide the best time to plan for sessions, although it will ultimately depend on the one teaching the class.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject:  

Hello, Hero.

Well, first off Hopefully we can pay 10 fables for every answer or 15-30 minutes... Of said listening to teacher? If the audio option doesn't work for that too. Like we hear the teacher through the computer.

Problem is I think we need to pay by every answer answered. If we were to pay like 50 fables and we listen then when our internet isn't working , it would fail. So Why not let the teacher write a document and turn The CITY into what you call a teachers's converance room.

Don't let anyone access, put passwords on the documents like on a category, let them p.m the moderators and if their eligible they may read it, but they may not copy from the internet, there is an option to make a document non copyable. It would still not stop them from print screening the website. But it helps for those who don't know how to work with it. :) Hope that helps.

We can still get answers from the teacher's in the Inn. I'm always available. There needs to be a text message remembrance sent out to the few interested in said subject. If you want to go through a good way of bringing in some readers,

One kid will tell the other, and so on...
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject:  

I am strongly encouraging anyone who is leading a class to write an accompanying article to go with it, but for right now it is now required. The idea is to have these articles/manuals freely available beforehand to all IFians, that way they have some background information about the topic. The class would help to reinforce the article and to allow for a question and answer session.

I hadn't thought about price per question. I sort of assumed it would be a single cost per class, but I am open to ideas. Internet issues shouldn't be an issue, as we are all human and are able to determine whether someone deserves his money back or not. If it is done it chat, I was thinking about logging the chat and saving it for the future. Not sure whether something would be done with it or not.

And what about times BBS? What times are good for you to attend?

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject:  

+2 gmt 7 am to 5 pm -- or -- 5 pm to 12 pm
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject:  

Just to clarify, 5 am to 3 pm GMT or 3 pm to 10 pm GMT? Which means 5 am to 10pm GMT?
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject:  

Time already dwindles for me this eve. I shall review this in more depth soon. Thanks for the efforts in this dept HEH!
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: IFians! Your Input is Needed!  

HalfEmptyHero wrote: Would you be willing to attend such classes?
Most likely I would not be interested.
HalfEmptyHero wrote: What sort of subjects are you interested in?
N/A
HalfEmptyHero wrote: How many fables would you be willing to pay to attend such classes?
N/A
HalfEmptyHero wrote: What range of time would be best for you to attend?
15:00 - 17:00 GMT on weekdays. Weekends would need to be scheduled in advance and I might have to leave if RL calls.
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject:  

I'd be interested in attending, and teaching.

However, the more I consider how global our community is, the more I fear trying to schedule mutual times to come together in a chat.

We can try it but I suggest we don't hold high expectations of turnout. Instead, I'm thinking we may need to create class 'groups'. This way we teach once in a full article and then proceed to a more patient question and answer session, giving the capacity for our other learned members to offer their own insights into the subject matter. Payment would be more easily arranged and with payment gains access to the group that may see that 'class' (a private hidden forum in the Info Street (academy) section.)

This takes time pressures off the table and would open us up to a longer and more thorough exploration through the topic matter. Does anyone else agree/disagree?
Kalyssa Summers

Location: RL: NJ, USA | Starving Peasant for Posts in City of IF *Reaches for your Story Hungrily*

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject:  

Thunderbird wrote: I'd be interested in attending, and teaching.

However, the more I consider how global our community is, the more I fear trying to schedule mutual times to come together in a chat.

We can try it but I suggest we don't hold high expectations of turnout. Instead, I'm thinking we may need to create class 'groups'. This way we teach once in a full article and then proceed to a more patient question and answer session, giving the capacity for our other learned members to offer their own insights into the subject matter. Payment would be more easily arranged and with payment gains access to the group that may see that 'class' (a private hidden forum in the Info Street (academy) section.)

This takes time pressures off the table and would open us up to a longer and more thorough exploration through the topic matter. Does anyone else agree/disagree?

I think that is a great idea...

Also you can prepare the lecture ahead of time by using Web 2.0 slide or webinar tools that allow you to put together a presentation- audio, text, and all, or not all if you don't want to- in which the student study at their own pace... just make it, share via a URL and we're set!

Two that I like are (both free services)

VCASMO- http://www.vcasmo.com/

Brainshark- http://my.brainshark.com

Good example of an audiovisual presentation on Brainshark>> http://my.brainshark.com/How-to-tell-a-Story-that-Sells-383385358

Others, for reference: http://mashable.com/2008/02/16/forget-powerpoint-online-presentations/
Cremuex Levier

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject:  

Would you be willing to attend such classes?
I guess so, but only if the 'teacher' or academic actually knows more then myself on the subject. I don't want a thirteen year old telling me 'omg u need 2 rite betR cuz ur borin' meh' or anything like that.

What sort of subjects are you interested in?
Considering this is a writing/reading site I'd assume that to be obvious that profession writing, literature, grammar, proper punctuation would be in there somewhere. Personally I would appreciate psychology and philosophy discussions too but I'm actually going to university for that as is so I probably won't learn the same as I do on campus. Perhaps tips on how to build the story universe since that's the most dynamic thing with writing on this forum site.

How many fables would you be willing to pay to attend such classes?
I have no idea what things are worth yet, I only joined today. I would also consider that more professional lessons would be worth more then someone just blabbing when they don't actually have the qualifications to do so. Don't tell me how to publish a book unless you've actually done it yourself and were successful in the endeavor.

As for times I'm on GMT + 10:00 and it would have to fit in with my university schedule, which obviously comes first.

I did nursing for two years if that helps at all and I have a heck of a lot of text books on Philosophy, Psychology and Nursing for references. I think I'd prefer to wait until the course starts for this year than I can do a weekly recap of everything learnt and add up my study notes from class with appropriate references. I'm not sure how good I'd be at it and since this is my first day I'm a bit weary of signing up to something like this before the site has shown that it's something I'm likely to come back to daily like I am with DNAdopts.
kkdestiny

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:  

Hmm...bump? We'll see what the interest in this is now...

Storygames Home -> Writer's Academy
Page 1 of 1