Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming
 

Chapter 6: An Unexpected Offer
Click here to go to the original topic

 
       Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Key



Joined: 08 Feb 2004
Posts: 2622
Location: The Royal Palace

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Chapter 6: An Unexpected Offer  


The story so far: You are Lodevar, born to the race of sheepheads enslaved by the Bullroar minotaurs. Your have an unusual form compared to most sheepheads, with a small head and no horns. With the help of the merfolk race, youíve started a slave rebellion and have raided the Bullroarsí coastal towns and villages from your island base. The merfolk king, who says he is your father, offered you the hand of the mermaid Lalomea in marriage. You initially put him off but now youíve come to the beach and spoken with Lalomea about your future together.

Last Decision: Propose to Lalomea, but set a long engagement so that you can find out more about her and the merfolk.

"Itís my duty to marry you to bind our peoples together," you say, "and I guess itís your duty to marry me because your father tells you to. So I think we should do it. But that doesnít mean that there canít be more than duty."

You take Lalomeaís hand. Itís small and pale green, like the leaf of a delicate flower. "I donít know you, Lalomea. But when I see you, all I can think about is getting close to you, and when I hear you sing, itís the most beautiful thing in the world. I want to keep seeing you, no matter what happens."

At this, Lalomea, who has been looking at you with a strange look of horror, bursts into tears and dives into the water, leaving you staring after her.

Iíll never understand mermaids, you think, as you climb down from the rocks and trudge back to the beach.

But you send a message through Petrosian to the King accepting his offer of Lalomeaís hand. You suggest a wedding date six months away, thinking that that will give you enough time to find out more about the merfolk and decide whether you can trust them.

The King sends back a friendly reply, accepting the wedding date and expressing his desire that you and Lalomea spend as much time as possible together before the wedding, "to better lay the framework for a lifetime of happiness." Soon Lalomea returns to the harbor at Freehome. A strange sadness still lingers over her, but she smiles from time to time and seems to enjoy spending time with you.

The merfolk continue to be valuable allies, as the war goes on and your people raid the outer towns and villages of Kria, fighting Bullroars and freeing sheepheads. You have councils with Petrosian and his generals on the Freehome docks, and they enforce the blockade and provide support in your battles on the coast.

The merfolk also help in your search for other allies. Youíve been having some success raiding the outer towns, but your army isnít big enough to challenge the Bullroar in their strongholds in the Inner Cities. Your armies are growing larger, but too slowly for your taste. You need allies who can fight on land.

Besides Minos, the Bullroar kingdom, the two closest kingdoms are the Islands of Mist, farther out on the sea and home to the Mistfolk, and the Goatfoot Forest on the other side of the sea, where the satyrs live. You donít know that either kingdom has a large army or any grudge against the Bullroars, but the merfolk deliver friendly greetings on your behalf to both of them, announcing you as the son of the King Under the Sea, and asking for their aid. The Mistfolk send back vague expressions of goodwill; the Goatfeet donít reply at all.

You think that they may be waiting to see what the Emperor makes of your rebellion. By law the Emperor rules over all the Twelve Kingdoms, and though in practice most Kingdoms do as they please, his word still has influence. If the Emperor recognized you as the legitimate sheephead king, the other kingdoms might help you. But if he sees you as the property of the Bullroars, the others will too.

You donít hold out much hope for the Emperorís help. He betrayed your people once already: when Minos invaded Kria centuries ago, the Emperor denied the sheepheadsí appeal for help and recognized the Bullroarsí conquest. Your people have been in chains ever since.

Still, itís worth thinking about how to position your rebellion. Should you declare yourself king of the sheepheads, and appeal to the Emperor as one of the Twelve Kingdom? Or make yourself part of the merfolk kingdom, the better to get their support? Or be completely independent, and deny all allegiances, even to the Emperor?

As you think about this, one day Petrosian swims up to the dock and gives you an unusual message. "They want a meeting."

"Who?"

"The Bullroars. They approached a merfolk scout on the coast. Theyíre requesting an audience to discuss an offer of truce."

You donít believe for a second that the Bullroars want to make peace. "This must be a trick," you say. "But what are they trying to gain?"

Petrosian shrugs. "Iím only passing on their message. Theyíre willing to send emissaries here to discuss peace terms. Their only condition is that they speak to you directly."

"Are they trying to spy on us? Or assassinate me?"

"Iím sure we can take their weapons," says Petrosian. "And keep them from seeing anything.

"There is one other thing," he continues. "Among the emissaries is a representative of the Emperor."

The Emperor? Is that why the Bullroars are coming, because the Emperor asked them to? Does he want to settle this war? Does he want to open talks with you? Or is he just looking to find something out?

This offer raises many questions. If you did receive them, where should you meet them and who should be with you? What do you tell your people? Do you suspend attacks until after the talks?

"What should I tell them?" asks Petrosian.

What do you do?

Read the posts below, and click "Post Reply" to post a suggestion for the Lodevarís next action. Anyone is welcome to post. You can suggest what he would do based on his personality, what you think he should do based on what would be best, or just in general what seems like a good idea to you. Feel free to comment on otherís suggestions, but please be courteous.

You're also welcome to ask questions about Lodevar's background or about the world of the Wheel.
Back to top  
Ravenwing



Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 3750
Location: Virginia

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject:  

It won't hurt to talk with truce with the Bullroars. I think he should invite them for a meeting. :D
Back to top  
Guest






Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject:  

interesting that the merfolk to bring this message is the very one that warned our hero about "having more enemies than he knows", this could get quite convoluted at this point. Does our king to be Love the little mermaid or is it just a duty to a alliance made? Does the messanger here have a hidden agenda and a trap planed to remove our hero?
Back to top  
bherman
Guest





Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject:  

Oooo. What do we do now? I have not trusted Petrosian from the start. He is up to something. We need to send a message to the Bullroars asking them if they have requested a meeting. Donít mention truce, donít mention the merfolk. Just send message to Bullroar leader via a different route. Hold off with Petrosian, tell him you need time to think about his message. That you will send word to the Bullroars. He need not bother with replying.
Back to top  
fallen angel 13
Guest





Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject:  

Well, we could have the mermen patrol the island and have and escort of bullroars to a remote part of the island and talk. I mean it shouldn't hurt. but we need some important people stay back incase something were to happen.
Back to top  
Ravenwing
Guest


Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 3750
Location: Virginia

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:  

bherman wrote: Oooo. What do we do now? I have not trusted Petrosian from the start. He is up to something. We need to send a message to the Bullroars asking them if they have requested a meeting. Donít mention truce, donít mention the merfolk. Just send message to Bullroar leader via a different route. Hold off with Petrosian, tell him you need time to think about his message. That you will send word to the Bullroars. He need not bother with replying.

If you distrust Petrosian, does that mean maybe Lodevar should have a direct route with the Bullroars? I don't know. Petrosian is a bit of a mystery to me. Earlier he seems suspicious, but now he is acting kind. Is this act? Or has he truly changed? I guess we have to wait and see.
Back to top  
xena
Guest





Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Don't take a chance  

Hmm...

Should I trust my own instincts? Maybe if I let the Bullroars talk, something good will come out of the meeting. What if it doesn't? How will I know that Petrosian is not on their side?

All these doubts are making me hesitant to go along with it. I will trust my heart.

8)
Back to top  
Ravenwing
Guest


Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 3750
Location: Virginia

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't take a chance  

xena wrote: Hmm...

Should I trust my own instincts? Maybe if I let the Bullroars talk, something good will come out of the meeting. What if it doesn't? How will I know that Petrosian is not on their side?

All these doubts are making me hesitant to go along with it. I will trust my heart.

8)

Following your heart is a good idea. True there are so many questions, but that shows that this story can go off on many different tangents.
Back to top  
Daidojih
Guest





Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject:  

Hmm... how about taking advantage of the situation? delay the meeting as long as possible and get some spies to get info on this guy sent by the emperor... try to get him to go on our side... put a good word or to in about us.

Also... try to meet each of them seperately... to gain an advantage in the next conversation and etc.
Back to top  
Ravenwing
Guest


Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 3750
Location: Virginia

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject:  

Daidojih wrote: Hmm... how about taking advantage of the situation? delay the meeting as long as possible and get some spies to get info on this guy sent by the emperor... try to get him to go on our side... put a good word or to in about us.

Also... try to meet each of them seperately... to gain an advantage in the next conversation and etc.

You're sure devious. But still I like the idea.
Back to top  
Daidojih
Guest





Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject:  

Ravenwing wrote: Daidojih wrote: Hmm... how about taking advantage of the situation? delay the meeting as long as possible and get some spies to get info on this guy sent by the emperor... try to get him to go on our side... put a good word or to in about us.

Also... try to meet each of them seperately... to gain an advantage in the next conversation and etc.

You're sure devious. But still I like the idea.
Why thank you! :P
Its just basic strategy that I thought a leader type person might have.


EDIT: oh! I nearly forgot the part where we distract each one of them, to seperate each of them during thier stay, feeding them false information and not letting them talk to one another to compare notes.

On second thought, it would be even better if we could sent them away in seperate parties.
Eg. after talking to one of them either
a) Give them flase but sensitive information> The enemy thinks its really important and must be given right away so they leave, without his/her companions
b) We give the person a reply to whatever message insist they leave now with our escorts. This means we can use the escorts to delay or hasten the message. (Eg. Tell the escort to delay messenger as much as possible or the to reach the destination as much as possible) The enemy messenger can't complain or else that'll make it seem very rude giving us a more political advantage etc.
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject:  

I would say only bring in a couple bullroar leaders to talk and have your own men secure the perimeter around them whille both sides talk it out-never hurts to be careful. AND DONT YOU DARE QUOTE ME RAVEN :!:





LOL
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject:  

umm it said i posted that at 9:36-my clock says its 10:45---......ok????

Did i miss daylight savings time or something?
once again dont quote me lol
Back to top  
Guest
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject:  

KnIgHtSrEpUbLic wrote: umm it said i posted that at 9:36-my clock says its 10:45---......ok????

Did i miss daylight savings time or something?
once again dont quote me lol
Quoted
lol
neways, on the forums you need to set the time so it matches yours.
Back to top  
Daidojih
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject:  

^
Sorry, that was me (above post)
Back to top  
Skulliver
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject:  

would say that it's an offer that noone should refuse... But the meeting should be on neutral ground without weapons
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject:  

how lol i thought my time was that 8 gpm thing or w/e?
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject:  

Anonymous wrote: KnIgHtSrEpUbLic wrote: umm it said i posted that at 9:36-my clock says its 10:45---......ok????

Did i miss daylight savings time or something?
once again dont quote me lol
Quoted
lol
neways, on the forums you need to set the time so it matches yours. AH-HAH! how u like it!? lol j/k

ya see right there it says all times are gmt-8 hours
ya...but i need to learn wat gmt means first lol

is there a way i can check if theres more than just me on? OK U NO WAT!? lol im 1 hour behind so when u look at when it was posted just think 1 hour ahead k? it said i posted at 8:20 but really i posted at nine thirty!!! ooooh the suspense!
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject:  

Anonymous wrote: Oh hey guys ive got some sites for you if you get bored :P

freeonlinegames.com

freearcade.com

stickdeath.com

bored.com

And if you get bored with even those theres more links to other sites on there-well ok j/w if u got bored or somethin... :D


Oh Sorry That Was Me! first time i did that so its special LOL
Back to top  
Mordok
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: yeah, I am new  

A diplomatic meeting with the emissaries seems inevitable. If I control the situation (meeting place numbers and such) I can eliminate most risks. The Merfolk are the only unknown but if they wanted to harm me they could already have done so as we are on an island and they control the seas.
But remembering the prophesies gives rise to these questions......
The trap also catches the bait...Is the island the trap and am I the bait?

On another note I just wanted to say: Great site and great story.
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject:  

Indubitably.

Confusious say: "A wise man's apple is like his car"...or something like that....
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject:  

like i said b4 get your men to take only 3 or 4 leaders of the bullroars,go to a remote island that the merpeople own and that the bullroars are too scared to follow and negotiate with the leaders while your men keep a bow to their heads then send them back and do w/e-you know continue on (by the way i found another site its gamesloth.com lol)

booyah! :lol:
Back to top  
Key
Guest


Joined: 08 Feb 2004
Posts: 2622
Location: The Royal Palace

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Thoughts so far  

OK, let me summarize the discussion so far, and please add from here or let me know if I've left anything out. We'll probably do another week of posting before the voting starts.

There seems to be general agreement to accept the offer of a meeting and to do it in a carefully controlled way. But there are a few different thoughts on how to arrange this:

- bherman suggests contacting the Bullroars directly (i.e. not through the merfolk) so that we know that the merfolk are telling the truth about the meeting invitation.

- Daidojih suggests trying to separate the Emperor's agent from the Bullroars by approaching the agent ahead of time. Daidojih also suggests that during the meeting we could make them distrust each other by giving them false information or by sending them away separately.

There's been some discussion about how trustworthy the merfolk are. Do you think they should be invited to the meeting? No one's posted one way or another on that.
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject:  

And KnIgHtSrEpUbLic says take a few of their leaders to a remote island that maybe has some ancient folk-lore or "voodoo" that the bullroars are afraid of or a desolate island and negotiate with them while under bow-pont DONT FORGET ABOUT ME!!! another-arcadetown.com
Back to top  
Mordok
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject:  

Seems to me that we are already at the mercy of the merfolk because they could simply choose to keep us on the island, and to allow our enemies access to us. Also, they have been helping us this far and surely have angered the Bullroar in doing so. Seems like to much effort if it were all a trap, since the merfolk could just have let the Bullroar warships take us out when they first came to Freehome.

Since outright assault on the Bullroars is not a viable option for us, diplomacy is our next great hope. I would invite the merfolk to the meeting and treat them, as well as the other emissaries as honored guests, all the while keeping close eyes on them all. Its the old, keep your friends close and your enemies closer idea.

I am still worried about the merefolk due to the prophesies but I would probably still seek out the council of the King just to get a better feel. Play up the son asking his father for guidance angle and see if I could get any useful information.

And just a thought...Why would a father give his daughter to his son? Seems fishy to me. (man, that was a sad attempt at humor)
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject:  

Mordok wrote:
And just a thought...Why would a father give his daughter to his son? Seems fishy to me. (man, that was a sad attempt at humor)

ummm if you read the whole story and not just this last chapter you would find it said merfolk ways are not like their ways and thats because the king under the sea has about 500 children-you know reading the WHOLE thing would help-just an idea

KEAVNEY!!! of course you can trust the merfolk thats not an issue because you are the son of the king and you are going to marry the princess so its not even an issue if we can trust them or not besides-what choice do we have? the're our only chance of survival for the moment being
Back to top  
KnIgHtSrEpUbLic
Guest





Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject:  

ok that pretty much sums it up we take their leaders andgo to a remote island and negotiate now LETS GO VOTE!!!



lol





:lol: :D :)
Back to top  
Daidojih
Guest





Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts so far  

keavney wrote: OK, let me summarize the discussion so far, and please add from here or let me know if I've left anything out. We'll probably do another week of posting before the voting starts.

There seems to be general agreement to accept the offer of a meeting and to do it in a carefully controlled way. But there are a few different thoughts on how to arrange this:

- bherman suggests contacting the Bullroars directly (i.e. not through the merfolk) so that we know that the merfolk are telling the truth about the meeting invitation.

- Daidojih suggests trying to separate the Emperor's agent from the Bullroars by approaching the agent ahead of time. Daidojih also suggests that during the meeting we could make them distrust each other by giving them false information or by sending them away separately.

There's been some discussion about how trustworthy the merfolk are. Do you think they should be invited to the meeting? No one's posted one way or another on that.

I think that the current situation with the merfolk is a little "iffy" but to include them into the meeting.... they might take it as if we are treating them as the enemies. We should not "invite" them, we should tell them to go... as if they were already part of the team....something like:
"We have this meeting we should be going to, your part of this history in making, I expect you will also want a part in this meeting... meet you there" type attitude...
Watch how they react to this.

BLAG! What I am trying to say is not to treat them as enemies by "inviting" them... they should already expect to be coming, it is their right to go... it is not a priviledge for us to give.
:P go me and not explaining things properly.
Back to top  
DarkGryphon
Guest





Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject:  

I think the merfolk should come. They did bring the message and do seem to be expecting to attend. I never saw Petrosian as an enemy, more an ally who didn't like our hero.

Neutral ground is a must. Neiter side trusts each other, so visiting enemy territory is out.

Diplomatic peace seem the best option. Genocide or enslavement of the Bullroars is not good either. It would just start the cycle over again. Peace and freedom for Sheepheads is the best option. Probably should find a location to move the sheepheads to so civil rights dont become an issue.
Back to top  
shea616
Guest





Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject:  

Hi i have been gone for a while but im back :D I dont think we should do the meeting ourelves..... I highly doubt that the bullroars would want to make peace when they can easily destroy us in a fight... it is probably a trap to kill our leader. Or possibly that guy who said they wanted the meeting has betrayed us :evil: I say we send someone else into the bullroars to check it out. Meanwhile we keep our eye on the supicious guy.... Also i like the idia of leading their nagotiators to a remote area.... then we can have assasinse set up to kill any that try something funny
Back to top  
Kamon
Guest





Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: It's a trap!  

This sounds like a trap to me. In fact, it sounds like Petrosian is planning to kill Lodevar. Why you ask? Well I think Petrosian is in love with Lalomea. Think about it. She runs aways when she finds out your serious about the marriage. Then, she comes back seemingly happier. Then after a few more days, Petrosian arrives to tell you that your enemy wants to meet you. It seems plausible that in that time Petrosian has plotted with the Bullroars to kill you, therfore leaving Lalomea able to marry her true love (Him!). Even better, the Bullroars can take any blame, meaning that the merfolk king (who I think is innocent) won't kill Petrosian for fratricide. Then again I could just be entirely paranoid.

P.S. Hi, this is my first post on Inter Fable.
Back to top  
Daidojih
Guest





Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a trap!  

Kamon wrote: This sounds like a trap to me. In fact, it sounds like Petrosian is planning to kill Lodevar. Why you ask? Well I think Petrosian is in love with Lalomea. Think about it. She runs aways when she finds out your serious about the marriage. Then, she comes back seemingly happier. Then after a few more days, Petrosian arrives to tell you that your enemy wants to meet you. t seems plausible that in that time Petrosian has plotted with the Bullroars to kill you, therfore leaving Lalomea able to marry her true love (Him!). Even better, the Bullroars can take any blame, meaning that the merfolk king (who I think is innocent) won't kill Petrosian for fratricide. Then again I could just be entirely paranoid.I

P.S. Hi, this is my first post on Inter Fable.

Paranoid!
;)
just kidding
Even though Lalomea may be unhappy about the arrangement she won't go to that extreme.

EDIT:
Welcome to InterFable.
Back to top  
Key
Guest


Joined: 08 Feb 2004
Posts: 2622
Location: The Royal Palace

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Voting starts!  


Voting is up! The four options are:

1) Accept the offer of a meeting and arrange to have it at a safe place on the island of Freehome

2) Contact the Bullroars through someone besides the merfolk to see what they want

3) Contact the Emperor's agent and try to meet with him separately from the Bullroars

4) Accept the offer of a meeting, but meet with them on a remote island and negotiate with them at bow-point

All the choices except for number 2) would involve including the merfolk in your plans.

There were some other suggestions about how to conduct the negotiations. I didn't include those now because we haven't reached that point yet, but those may be good possibilities for the next chapter.

To vote, go to the next chapter and make your choice. Remember that you must be logged in to vote. Feel free to continue the discussion there. The different options won't change, but you might be able to sway people to choose one or another.
Back to top  
 
       Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Ram
Page 1 of 1


Powered by phpBB Search Engine Indexer
Powered by phpBB 2.0.16 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group