Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Still the Richest of Them All
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of )
   Storygames Home -> -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Still the Richest of Them All Reply with quote

For those of you who haven't read You Can't Take it With You do so here before you read this SG. You might be a little confused otherwise...you might just be confused anyway read on!
---------------------------

Still the Richest of Them All

Chapter One: Just When You Thought it Was Safe

1st of Lugon, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Oh dear it's been so long I've almost forgotten what it's like to write in a journal! You can't realize how hard it is to find a dragon-sized journal! I had to get this one from some nasty wizard's bargin basment...one Smee by name. He charges so much! You'd think it was solid gold, not paper and ink! Well I wasn't going to pay those prices let me tell you so I told him if he didn't lower it to a more reasonable price range I was going to sick my dog on him.

He gave it to me with a big pink bow how sweet! I don't see why he was frightened of Puddles, but so many people are. I think our reputation preceeds us! But I bet you're wondering all about our travels in the time between journals...well!

First we traveled south and helped put down some nasty rebellions in Oogaboogaboo, and got paid a pretty penny for it too. Then we flew even further south, into a place I couldn't even find on the map...of course Puddles had had an accident on it by that time so I'm not sure that it was reliable at all.

But anyway, I met other dragons down there. Ugly sons of mothers they were too! No wings, no long legs, no breathing fire! They were just skinny, like snakes, with short stubby legs, and hair! They were so strange! They said they came from the land where the sun made it's bed, Puddles originally thought this was the west but I thought it was the east...and I was right yay me!

Well we followed these dragons back to their home, they'd never heard of the Knights in White Satin afterall, and what happens when we get there? They make fun of me! I'm not respected because I don't look like a dragon! What do I look like then huh! Someone's pet iguana maybe...a gecko in a tin can?

Last time I checked I didn't live in a glass tank on some pimply teens shelf and I didn't sell car insurance for a living so you can imagin I was highly offended! I even told them so before I burnt them out of their funny shaped castles that were mostly made of wood! I don't think they realized that SOME dragons breath more than mist!

After that we weren't welcome there anymore so we had to travel across this wide ocean! I'll tell you I never had so much fun in my life! A seamonster tried to kill me, drug me under the water and did you know it's hard to swim in plate armor? Almost as hard as it is to fly. But back to the seamonster story. It tried to crush me and my armor poked it in all the wrong places. My oh so tight, form fitting, curve hugging, wickedly sharp, beautifully wrought, perfectly enchanted, totally badass armor! I love it!

I also still can't get it off. I didn't think that mattered but when I came back to my old stomping grounds after all that time abroad, I found out that I had a new reputation. Before people remembered me for being the richest dragon out there. Now they call me the Armored One, so cool! I feel like a fledgling again, so much talent and so much to prove!

Also Puddles began teaching me magic! I mean, I've always been able to manipulate the elements and Puddles says that's the hardest form of magic Elementalizim, and if a dog can learn High Magic and Transmorphagation, called Transy for short, so can I. For are not dragons the most scholarly of races...don't answer that, damn elves and their miserable claim to fame...

Ah well my lessons progress and that's not all. While in that eastern land, and I do hope they'll forget that little misunderstanding, I started learning bladework. Did you know dragons used swords as well? I find it fascinating, none of them ever thought of using armor but they're using swords...

Well it's time to lay aside my pen and go back to my studies. Soon I shall be the most feared dragon anywhere. Just yesterday Puddles was saying 'Now Camwyre,' that's not my real name by the way...as if I'd leave my real name laying around. 'Now Camwyre,' call me Cami for short everyone else dose. Back to Puddles. 'Now Camwyre I think that with my brilliant magical tutalage and your natural talant for picking up martail abilities you might just become the most feared dragon anywhere.'

As much pride as I take in that fact Puddles brought me back a wanted poster only yesterday. The Knights in White Satin still want me, so badly they're offering a reward. I can't tell how much it is because Puddles had used the flyer for his morning toilet and only afterward remembered that I might think it was important.

I haven't seen any sign of the Knights yet but I know it's only a matter of time....
-----------------------

12th of Lugon, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I did it! I cast my first Transy spell today! Transy is the second hardest magic to master and while I'm a long way from mastering it, so Puddles says, that I'm able to cast even one spell is far more than most dragons can do! It gives me hope that soon I'll be able to master High Magic too. If I sound like an optimistic hatchling well...I never knew there were so many possibilites out there!

To think, if I'd never dug that journal out from under a stack of golden chalices I'd never be here now, writing in this, learning these magics, and having seen what I've seen. Back to my studies.

16th of Lugon, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Did it again! I'm mastering spells faster than Puddles can teach them too me! It seems that both High magic and Transy are almost exactly like my usual magic. Once you get the basics and theory down the rest is easy peasy. All you need to do is read the spells and learn them well.

My swordwork is going well too. I've been studying humans, many different kinds, and how they use their swords. While I haven't gone through the trouble of fashioning myself a sword yet, I've been using trees to practice with, just to get the weight right, I'm confidant that when I wrap my talons around one I'll do just fine...or I won't cut myself too badly at I hope.

Speaking of hope I pulled a few trinkets out of my hoard the other day, little baubles I hadn't looked at in a long time and wanted to savor the memories in them and share them with Puddles and now with you. I found this wonderful necklace, how I could have forgotten about it I don't know, that belonged to the first royal sacrifice I was ever given.

You know you're making the big time when the nobility comes and gives one of their own to you. She was a princess no less. Supposedly a prince was supposed to come 'rescue' her but I never saw any prince come anywhere near my lair. An ugly fat bower on a donkey yes but no prince...oh wait. Now that I think about it there was that young man on that white horse...ah my memory fails me.

I can't remember whether that was a prince that came for her or whether it was one of the many that came later. The price I pay for getting old I guess...early onset Partsymerz or something like that. Or it might be CRS, Can't Remember Shit. But I as long as I have my treasures...they don't lie to me. I can remember the circumstances surrounding everyone.

This wand from that wizard that tried to turn me into a komodo dragon, what in Simmons name is that?, this shield from a warrior who thought that my own reflection would turn me to stone, makes a handy mirror of a morning. Poor guy. I gently explained to him that he had his legendary creautures confused. I was a dragon, he was looking for a gorgon. Holding his map upside down didn't help him either but he understood in the end...shortly before I ate him.

But nothing makes me happier to have than these spellbooks. I was going to throw them away, I mean it wasn't like I was using them, but now they serve a purpose in my life. I'm learning from them, a few spells everyday.

But now I have a delimma. Which magic do I persue first? The masters of Transy are elves, a different colony than the ones that helped me with my armor but still elves, and they live all the way over in the Briblewood while the humans at Goougwatch are the ones best suited to teach me High magic.

Oh it's so frustrating haveing to pick between the two but Puddles says I should concentrate on one or the other first and then pick the second up as I go...just like I did languages...sorta. I just don't know which I should pick...
--------------------------
Well she's back so help her out on her quest. Which way should she go?

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:06 pm; edited 12 times in total
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say High magic first, it sounds cooler.

And...

Huzzah! Another Dragony Rai story! Very Happy

Oh, small typo... dose you mean does I assume.

Last edited by Chinaren on Sun May 28, 2006 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Author
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the humans. The dragon wants to learn high magic. I think she should follow her dreams Smile
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cami just want's to master magic...of any and all kinds. She's not satisfied with being the richest dragon as far as material wealth goes, she needs to be the richest in knowledge and experiance as well...

Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she should learn Transy - because elves are cool.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll's up, vote.

Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted, and winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay High Magic it is...
-----------------

Chapter Two: Elves Suck

21st of Homph, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

As I am writing this I am in the most miserable condition you can imagine. I'm cold, wet, hungery, tired, and utterly spirit worn. A few months ago, reading my journal entries I can hardly believe I was that stupid, I was concerned with nothing more than choosing which magical path to follow. I was a happy, warm, well rested, well fed dragoness of high spirits. Then I made my decision.

I decided to follow High Magic, mostly since I know that the elven masters can wait around a few millenia while human mages fade after a few hundred years of existance, if that. So I packed my things and made ready for a journy to Goougwatch, just like any other foolish young hatchling off to their first pillaging lesson. I would have just charged in there full tilt like any stupid idiot if Puddles hadn't politely pointed out that a full grown dragon in plate armor landing in their courtyard and saying 'Hello Humans, Teach me the secrets of your magic or Die!' wouldn't go over well.

Thus it was agreed between us, after much argument and several 'mysterious' puddles on my armor later, that I would attempt a Transy spell so far above me in level as to be inane and pointless...it wasn't going to work. But Puddles said with my magical brawn and his clever brain, I now think he lacks a brain entirely, we'd be able to manage it...but just.

So we prepared the spell and started it's casting. It all went well for the first few moments...then it gave a sudden lurch and the world smelled like gooey custard and turned all pink and wrong shaped. There was a terrific boom that must have shook the entire world off kilter, it certainly shook me around. For a few moments I thought I was going to die, a horrible pink, custard death. The Gods just weren't being fair!

Then the dust settled and I opened my eyes to find myself happily, blissfully, alive. I was grateful for all of five seconds...then I looked in the nearby lake. The spell should have turned me into a beautiful human, a lovely lady with dazzling looks and perfect teeth. It turned me into a human alright...a human that happens to be all of twelve years old.

I didn't particularly like being twelve the first time around, I actually can't say I remember being twelve the first time around but that was a long time ago, however, I doubt intensly that I'll like it this time around. I'd be absolutely furious if it wasn't for what happened to Puddles...the spell turned him into a cat. Hehehe a cat of all things...I may not be the right age but at least I'm the right species.

Now for a rundown of all the positive and negitive things that have happened since. I was pleased to find that my journal, the magical hoard gem, and my badass armor resized and reshaped themselves to fit my new, worthless form, and that I could still call upon my devistating elemental magics...it's a bit discerning to see a scrawny twelve year old brat breathing white hot flames, as some irritating elves found out.

The negatives...where should I start....Well the next morning my 'cat', Shredder, and I set out for Goougwatch, some three weeks travel distant. I realized then that walking sucks. By the time we stopped for the night me, Mrs. Fly around the World in three weeks if I'm trying, was utterly exhausted. I might have come farther than any normal human twelve year old girl could have but I'd still not covered a fraction of the distance I could have flying.

Thus I was forced to change my cheery estimate of three weeks to somewhere around next Blarg. Shredder suggested that I find a caravan and hire on as a guard. Remembering my former sucess as a caravan guard, and realizing that we were on a heavily traveled caravan route, I stopped on the side of the road and stuck out my thumb, a quaint gesture I'd seen humans use before.

It wasn't long before a caravan stopped to pick me up. When the man in front asked me what I wanted I asked if he needed a caravan guard and offered our services to him. When he laughed at me I wanted to throttle him, you just don't laugh at me. When he saw I was serious he asked me for a demonstration. Keeping the fact I was a human painfully in the front of my mind I slowly walked up to his horse, which wasn't fooled by my magical disguise one bit, and with one punch I cleaned it's clock.

Normally I don't wander around punching out horses, they've never done much to me before except providing a quicker meal delivery system, but then I normally don't wander around as a little girl. Needless to say after he got over his shock he hired me at once and put me up on the only horse that would have me, a mangy old swayback that was blind in one eye and one it's way to be made into glue.

It had once been a fine warhorse and I ached to restore him to his former glory, not for his sake but for mine because his spine dug into an area that had become painfully tender without my scales there to protect it. However, I was forced to wait because, as Shredder said, if I was suddenly seen trotting around on a new-broke colt the caravan master was bound to get suspicious.

So I delt with it, I've become very adapt at dealing with things. Shredder also advised me that writing in my journal wasn't a good idea. If somebody saw me they might wonder why an educated young girl like me was wandering around in the woods alone with her cat. So sorry about the gap in my pennings but you'll just have to deal with it.

Back to my story. All was well with the caravan until we reached the edge of an Elfwood. I can't be sure whether it was the Islwood or the Ipswood, there's very little difference between the two unless you're flying over them, but almost immediantly we were called to a halt. The elves came bounding out of the woods, longbows in hand, with that curious way of being both insidious and idiotic.

They demanded toll from the caravan master who made a half-hearted attempt at haggling, he was a merchant you know, but who has time to haggle with an elf save dragons and other elves? Thus he paid an exorbitant price and the elves watched us like hawks as we passed under the boughs that marked the entrance to their domain.

I had been entertaining the foolish hope that I'd pass by them unspied, but alas, it was not to be. The moment I entered the wood the elves stopped the whole caravan and demanded that I be subject to their questions since I was a magical creature, they never did figure out what, encased in magical armor, who's make befuddled them, with a magical jewel, who's properties they couldn't discern, and a magical cat, whom they didn't press for answers once they learned his name was Shredder.

The caravan master ditched me and Shredder, leaving the horse in lieu of the payment I was never going to get. The elves were quite kind, at first, hoping to discover that I was one of their kin from a distant wood...I wasn't sorry to disappoint them. After they learned I wasn't an elf, they began to pepper me with questions as to what I was. They hoped to wear me down since they had all the time in the world. But, as they found out, if there's anything worse than a stubborn elf it's a stubborn dragon.

It wasn't until they started threatening to keep me prisoner in the woods forever that I started getting angery. I had a good idea of how long I'd been in the Elfwood, too long for my liking, and I began to drop little hints that my paitence was at an end, the most spectacular of which was my incinerating a young yew tree. They were only too happy to get rid of me once they realized that I posed a threat to their forest. They entreated me to come back once I felt more like answering questions and immidantly opened a portal for me and my companions.

The moment I stepped through it there was a rushing sensation. I doubted that they would drop me at the gates of Goougwatch, that was too much to ask for, however I hoped that they'd have at least helped me recover the time I'd lost in their forest! Instead they dropped me at the outer edge, several months later than I would have arrived had I been walking on foot! That, dear readers, is why elves suck!

Now here I am, caught in this horrid down pour, with nothing to eat and only a long road ahead of me. Perhaps things will be better tomorrow.

22nd of Homph, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Foolish optimist that I am. Things havn't gotten any better at all! I rode all day long, hoping that over the next horizon might be some sort of town from which I might get a meal. Instead I forgot one key fact. The Islwood and the Ipswood are sister forests, two halves of the same whole that was once known as the Ipsilwood. Long ago, when I was just beginning to grow greedy, some humans cut a wide path out of the Ipsilwood and split it in two. It was never able to regrow even though the humans soon moved out of the region.

It was this cut area through which I had been riding all day and now, as night begins to fall around me, I find myself wondering if I should enter the wood or not. I might have mastered a translocation spell out of one of the dusty tombs, however, after my experiances with the shape-shifting spell I wonder...

Should I use it? Or should I take my chances?

Author
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter the wood, I think. There's at least going to be huntables in there, so you may not need to get to a town.

At least that way you won't be hungry any more.
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. f5 the Stoaty one here.

Nice chapter Rai, I like this story.
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think you would have thought about changing into a human after the journey wouldn't you?

Well, F5 Chinaren and Stoatly.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately the forest. She can travel through it and she might meet some more friendly elves who just happen to know how to turn her back into a dragon. then she can carry on with her journey, after burning the evidence of her asking for help. Smile
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but Whitey, she dosen't want to become a dragon again...not yet anyway...she just wants to look like a human female of suitable age to be undertaking a journey of this nature...

And as for asking for help from the elves...she'd rather gag herself with a feildmouse....

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready...set...vote!

Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for the woods, and winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woods woods goooo woods! Very Happy
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right...more elves...
----------------------

Chapter Three: Redneck Elves!

23rd of Homph, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

After much smoking and nail biting, which is much easier to do as a human let me tell you, I finally managed to dampen my fury enough to enter the woods. I still had smoke pouring out of my ears at this point and Shredder cracked an egg on my armor and proceeded to make us breakfast. Unfortunately for us that egg happened to be from a rare species of griffon that lived in this forest.

I can't stand griffons, except as quick snacks on marathon flights, although I've heard that the smaller species are kept as pets by some wizards. Back to the problem at hand. This particular species of griffon is one of those afore mentioned smaller species, being only half the size of a large dog, and is noted for it's amazing capacity to suffocate it's victims.

I'd never encountered one of these things before in my life, having as a rule avoided most elven woods except when I was in a capricious looting mood or when I needed help on my badass platemail, cha-ching and all those good themesongs. So naturally I was 'surprised' to say the least when the rather miffed parents dropped out of the sky in front of my horse who gave a startled 'I'm too old for this shit' snort and backed up three feet.

I then realized why it's victims suffocated to death....they couldn't stop laughing to breath. These griffons were only about three feet from beak to tail, and their feathers were a brilliant neon purple with flaming salmon, or pinkish orange, tips. Their beaks were lime green with a darker shade of lime around the edge and they reflected light like becons. Their talons were the most hideous shade of vomit pink and their tails were shaped less like lion's and more like beavers.

Their bills were closer to a duck's than an eagle's and they had a horrible mane of what might have been feathers but looked more like fur around their beady little pear green eyes. All and all they looked more like psychidelic duck-billed platipie than like any griffon I've ever seen. And, just for the record, DAMN were they ugly! My theory for their rarity goes something like this...two of them meet and are so ugly that it never goes beyond the first date. Thus no chicks and nature prooves that, once again, she hates ugly people.

Ravings about ugly griffons aside, they were still dangerous and very mad at the cat. The cat, for all his concern, merely changed his idea of breakfast from sunny side up to scrambled and asked the giffons if they were going to join us. The griffons hissed and informed us in a voice that sounded like they'd spent way too much time around helium balloons, that we had just eaten their nest egg and wanted us to repay them.

Well some dragons might lay eggs but in my family...we don't let's just leave it at that. Besides, even if I could lay eggs I wasn't going to give them to any pair of rejects from the cast of 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' Our only option was to fight. Thus as Shredder revealed his claws and I psyched myself up for a battle without any of my usual weaponry, the griffons hissed and honked.

Then, just as the first blow was to be struck, an arrow whizzed out of the darkness and hit the tree next to me. "Wait! I didn't mean it!" There was the sounds of a scuffle and a few more shouts of 'No!' then a voice muttered.

"That's the eleventh one this week. When will those greenhorns learn that if you shoot an arrow you better not hit a tree!" The brush rustled.

"But we're in a forest sir...you can't shoot an arrow without hitting a tree." More rustling.

"Have you hit a tree." The rustling stopped.

"I've never even fired an arrow...how could I hit a tree!"

"I've never fired an arrow either and I've never hit a tree either! You see my point! You just don't hit the trees!" By this time the griffons had realized that they could always go have another egg, it was just cruel fate to loose one, so they'd gone off all gooey eyed and purring.

Shredder and I took one look at each other and then I dropped off my horse and advanced on the rustling bushes. Once off my horse I could clearly see the two elves, both richly dressed, that were arguing with each other. I walked up, squatted eye level, and said in a cheery voice..."What the Hell are you doing!"

Both elves yelped and one, a fair haired elf, whispered to the other..."I think she's noticed us."

"Yes," replied the other, a brunette. "Maybe if we sit really still she'll think we're somewhere else...in that clump of bushes maybe." I sat there staring at them, all of an inch away from their faces, for twenty minutes or so before the fair haired elf said.

"So much for that brilliant plan." They both stood up, knocking arrow to bowstring as they did so. "Halt!."

"You idiot! I'm the Commander! I call the commands! HALT!" The fair haired elf gave him a dirty look and muttered something about being 'mother's favorite' but quickly was silence as his 'commander' bumped his shoulder, juggling that arrow dangerously. He paled for a moment, in fear that the bow might go off accidentally, and concentrated on holding it steady.

"Well...I'm assuming that you had a reason for disturbing me...and shooting that tree." The fair haired elf looked guilty.

"She knows." He whispered as if I couldn't here.

"I know." Commander replied, as if I weren't there. "But she still dosen't know it was Jarvis who shot it."

"Helloo! I'm standing right here!" Both elves jumped and looked guilty.

"Damn, she's good."

"That she is."

"We better take her with us to keep her mouth shut."

"I like your thinking."

"Naturally...That's why I'm Commander." With that he swung his bow and pointed it at me and said. "You'll come with us or else...I'll summon those griffon's back!" Naturally I went with him.

Normally I wouldn't have recorded their every word but I just wanted to give you some idea of the intelligence of the elves I happen to be dealing with...It's not an easy thing being surrounded by morons.

They marched me back to their city in the forest, which reminded me so much of Munchkinland that I expected the Lollipop guild boys to come swaggering out and beat each other with massive, brightly colored, candy confections. They didn't, however, and I was rather disappointed. Seeing something like that would have given me a mental image to hold in my mind to keep the extreme stupidity of these particular elves from overrunning me.

I was finally shut up in a massive...I think it might once have been a tree but now was so painted, guilded, magicked, and wrapped in cellophane that it could have been anything. They opened a door in the hideous thing and stuffed Shredder, the horse, and myself inside without so much as a 'We're sorry for the inconveniance'.

For the first five seconds I wanted to burn the forest down but after that I was just too hungery...even the nag I'd been riding looked like a fillet mingnon. I pounded on the door, the wood or whatever splintering under my blows, until a wizened old codger ran up and demanded to know what was wrong.

"I haven't had a bite to eat in...I don't remember how long." Can you guess what he did? Yup, he bit me. I loved the look on his face as his teeth crumbled to powder after sampling my armor. He ran away screaming so loud you'd have thought I did more than set his beard on fire.

I gave the door one last pound...then I did the sensible thing...I tried the knob. The door swung open easily with a noisy creak and the elves on guard waved cheerily to me. I spent the day exploring, I still didn't eat any thing but I did find a few things I wanted to look at tomorrow.

24th of Homph, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Today, after telling my guards good morning, I wandered back into the mages quarter. There was a visting human mage from where of all places but Goougwatch, and he was going home today. I was fully prepared to hijack his portal and go to Goougwatch myself but it turns out I didn't need to do anything quite so desperate.

I rode in on my boney nag and asked him if he was looking for an apprentice. He was a very old man, Master Renfeild, with a pair of white eyebrows that twitched when he talked, reminding me of the wings on a Mistwraith Bird, and a nose shaped like a beak. His small eyes lit up at the chance at an apprentice because "At my age you'll do anything to see a lovely young lady."

I told him I had some magical talent and proceeded to do something I'd been preparing to do since the caravan master first saddled me with this disgraceful nag...I wound the clock back until the horse was in it's prime. Okay so I messed that up and turned it into a barely grown yearling but it was close enough. His eyes lit up and he cackled something about 'unintelligent elves' and 'right under their noses' before opening the portal that took us all to the Goougwatch courtyard.

After watching him do the spell I have to tell you, it didn't look that hard. The other mages at the Goo, as it's lovingly called, were rather amazed that 'Old Renfeild' managed to snare himself an apprentice. "He should be thinking about his last rights at his age."

"Maybe he's still looking for that Eternal Youth spell." The old man shook a boney fist at them and yelled.

"Hecklers! Savages and uncouth guttersnipes! You'll be laughing out your arses when I find that damn thing! And I won't tell you a thing! You'll beg my apprentice and she'll just laugh and smile and keep my secrets won't you?" I nodded even though if the old man ever discovered such a thing I'd sell it on Smeebay in a heartbeat. He patted my head and winked. "Now just carry my stuff up to our rooms. Tallest room, tallest tower. That's a good girl, I'll meet you there."

I looked around. I handn't seen him bring anything with us but, to my horror and dismay, there were nine large trunks behind me. I could have just chucked them through the window in my natural form but to all appearences I was a twelve year old girl. How the hell was I going to get any one of those trunks up those stairs, all sixteen hundred and ninty eight of them, if I stuck to my disguise.

"Can I be of some help." A young man with merry blue eyes and a blue robe pulled a wand out of his sleeve. Now I've never accepted favors from anyone, you have to repay them at some time and I hate paying people. Yet if I tried it myself I could blow the trunks to kingdom come...unless I tried using wind magic.

But using elemental magic in a keep full of High Magic wizards...all the tough choices in my life...
-------------------
What should Cami do...

Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she's going to have to accept his help, not much else she can do without exposing her cover.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lordy. You might as well accept his help. It should be easy enough for a dragon to repay a favour to a humanoid at some point in the future. And he may be worth knowing- no telling until you try Smile
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter old Rai. I f5 the two above. May as well accept his help and pump him for information.
Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... I dunno. I would try a bit of wind magic. If she gets it right she can always just brush it off with a ' Old whatsit taught me a bit in the elves settlement' and if it goes wrong- well, to them it'll just look like an overambitius apprentice.

Tea Cures All.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like your votes please...or well Cami would.

Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted to accept his help, and winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for the wind magic. Then I realized the acception was winning. Darn. *hem-hem*

Tea Cures All.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking for help won so she'll ask for help...and I'll try to fit everyone's suggestions in...
------------------

Chapter Four: DIY

24th of Homph, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

continued from last page...

Well I eventually had to accept his help ya know. I mean all the other options just didn't make sense at all. I mean blowing up the Keep just wouldn't have gone over well on my first day...you have to be there a week or so before you get to do that! So I just nodded my head and gave him a 'I'm only taking you help because I have to' look. He just smiled, pulled out a wand an honest to goodness, carved from wood wand, and waved it around a bit before tapping it on each of the chests.

Well the chests rose, and rose, and kept on rising! Past the tower window, past the roof, they rose so far they were almost out of sight! And that young wizard just stood there laughing and laughing until he had to stop and wipe the tears out of his eyes before he started laughing again. I could hear many more mages all around pointing and giggling insepidly about the 'foolish apprentice' that had just been pranked.

And he just stood there laughing! For a few moments, as the rage built inside me, I couldn't understand why he wasn't running. Then it hit me. In his eyes he hadn't pulled a joke on a several thousand year old draconic warrior mage...he'd pulled a prank on a twelve year old human apprentice. Which made it even worse! What ever happened to helping the less fortunate! If I offered my aid to someone I actually aided them!

Thus I was given my first two lessons about life amoung humans. Lesson one...practice the art of deception for it shall be weapon, sheild, and entertainment useful for gaining status amoung one's peers. Lesson two...if you want something done right you'd better learn to do it yourself...DIY.

I cracked my knuckles several times, squinting to see the chests, which had finally stopped rising. I glared over at the blue robed mage, who'd finally managed to calm down a bit. He took one look at my face and the, what I'd hoped was a murderous expression, and grinned. "What's the little apprentice going to do...kill me?" I leered at him.

"Nope. I prefer humiliation." Quicker than the eye could follow I pulled one of those dusty volumes of spells out of my jewel, no sense in keeping that a secret just in guarding it well, and flipped through the pages with a calm air, keeping an eye on the still floating trunks. "Ah here we are!" I scanned the spell several times and, once I was sure I'd gotten the words right, I pointed my finger at the skyward trunks.

"Varvendiuos anoniea siae!" Warning: Do not try this at home!

Just to make sure the spell obeyed me, I put a tiny zip of wind magic, not enough to show through the spell but enough to make it manageable, into my casting. As the tiny silver spark floated upward I grimly smiled as the laughter of others died. The trunks docily floated into the one open window in the tower and I cut off the flow of the spell, hoping that they'd landed on something soft.

Then, just to really put that damned whelp in his place, I pulled another spell, this one for levitation, out of the book and, scooping Shredder into my arms, floated upward on a disk of swirling winds leaving the would be bully with a wide open mouth and a poleaxed expression on his face.

Stepping off the air disk in the tower chamber I was greeted by the sight of my new master pulling doggedly at the hem of his robe, which was trapped under one of the heavy trunks. "Blast it all and confound it!" With a terse word he pointed a gnarled wand at the trunk wich trundled back a few feet and then turned to look at me with a disapproving gaze. And thus I learned my third lesson of the day...never drop heavy trunks on the man who's going to teach you magic.
----------------------

2nd of Neita, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

All is well in my life friends, well maybe not all but I'm content at the moment. My master is pleased with me, Renfeild is constantly saying he's never had a more apt pupil or that he's never seen anyone master spells like I do...and it's true! At the rate I'm going I'm going to be the only twelve year old girl on the High Council. Humm, I wonder what a bunch of stody old wizards are going to say when they realize that they've got a dragon sitting on their highest governing body...

But that can wait. Besides, I've no real ambitions to rule these petty humans, merely to steal their secrets and move onto fleecing the elven Transy masters for everything they're worth. Hey I'm not always cruel and heartless...it's just what I'm best at. You can't teach an old dragon new personality traits...I was going to say tricks until I remembered that I'm a rather old dragon sitting in a tower learning the secrets of High Magic from an elderly human.

In the past month I've learned much about levitation, scrying, and all other sorts of things my master calls 'Wind Magic'. Pah, if these humans could do real wind magic we'd all be in grave danger from being killed in a fit of insanity. Humans are such unstable creatures after all. However, these particular magics do meld well with plain, old fashion wind magic so I'm willing to make allowences for names. Who knows, they might actually be dirived from wind magic...there's an interesting thought. I should apply it in my studies tomorrow...
--------------------

4th of Netia, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

It is true about certain areas of High Magic corresponding to certain areas of Elemental Magic. I'm certain that had I been limited in my powers of elemental manipulation I wouldn't be able to learn High Magic...I suspect this might be why most dragons cannot do High Magic in the first place despite us being the foremost magical race anywhere to be found. I will look into that...

5th of Netia, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I havn't gotten any further with the theory I put forth yesterday. Considering there's a sever lack of dragons around for me to use as test subjects I don't veiw this as a surprise. What did come as a shock was my master inspecting my armor. At first he accepted my need for security as an explanation for my eating, learning, and sleeping in the armor.

However, when he realized I'd been bathing in it...he decided he needed to know more about it. I've been stalling him off since yesterday, trying to come up with some excuse for me being unable to take it off, but I know I can't stall him much longer.

I can't come out and tell him that I can't removed it because it has badass magic on it because then he might start prodding around with the spells and if he does that...I shudder to think what might be discovered because of it. I don't need an iorn clad excuse...just one that will buy me a few months of time...about six should do it. I'll have a working High Magic mastery by then and I'll be able just to saunter out without so much as a kiss goodbye...

I think I hear him coming now. I should be able to stall him off for tonight but what shall I tell him tomorrow?
---------------------

Got any answers?

Author
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Tell him the armour is cursed. If you ever take it off, your arms and legs will drop off as well. It's an old family curse, handed down from generation to generation, and a lot of the reason you want to learn magic is that you want to track down the git who did this to your family and make him and his children and his children's children miserable for the rest of their existence.
Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... I agree with Stoat in that she should say its a curse on the secondborns in her family but first she should give him a bout of flames to put him in his place. just mild scorching though. Say the curse gives them astounding magical ability that they can't quite control but the armour can't be taken off- they're born with it, and have been so for a century in her family. She hadn't meant to scald him but she had been frightened and her guard was down. The guy who placed the curse is dead with no relatives, but she was the only one in her big family who did anything about it.

Problem solved! Very Happy

Tea Cures All.
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't she make it invisible or something?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like the curse suggestion Cami did say she didn't want to tell him magic was the reason because then Renfield would feel duty bound to try and tamper with the spells...and he's a good enough wizard to put two and two together if he starts doing that!

Although I'm sure I could work the idea somehow... Wink

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New poll! Do some voting!

Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible curse! Terrible curse! Baaad cuuurse!

Do we get to say what the curse contains?

Tea Cures All.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to suggestions...

Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K...

Well, I got nothing at the moment but if you're really stuck there are some suggestions above...

Tea Cures All.
Author
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voted for being born with it on. nice story btw, definitely...different Wink.

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Author
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on writing a genuinely funny story game Kalanna Clapping. Having the dragon changed to a human child was a clever twist too as I was wondering where the story would go.

I'd say she should say that she was born with the armour, that it is a type of disease that every fourth person in her family suffers from and definately has nothing to do with magic. She should drop hints about the pain that she suffers and how the disease is potentially contagious to people who happen to come into contact with the armour too long or who try to mess about with it. If she really wants she could start telling gruesome tales of family history to illustrate the point.

Anyway no prizes for guessing what I voted for Very Happy .
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dear readers for rejoining this tale! Also did any of you follow the link to the first SG or should I put it in bigger print?

Author
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solus and me followed Smile
Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed

Tea Cures All.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I was worried because I've had some people tell me that they can't find the original tale and I'm not referencing it much. Just wanted to know the link was working thanks for letting me know.

Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favorite tale of yours Rai, so waiting (in)patiently for the next chapter... Very Happy
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blushes* Awe China you say the nicest things...of course if you didn't Cami might eat you...

Now that the votes have come in, and it seems like we have a winner or something close to it, I should have that next chapter out in a day or so.

And China you'll love the plot twist and the new character that goes with it...But I won't spoil the surprise...

Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why China in particular? Is it a sexy orange furry thing that comes in?

Shocked

Oh, by the way, could you post a link for Lunatic Snow?

Tea Cures All.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I though of something reasonably twisted and horrible that blends everything together at a puree...Enjoy.
-------------------

Chapter Five: Oh Damn

6th of Netia, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Well this morning when Renfeild asked me about my armor I had what I thought was a rather nice excuse made up for him. I was going to tell him that I was born in the armor. That it was a mixed blessing curse in my family that every seventh cousin in every thirteenth generation was born in armor that they couldn't remove until they turned twenty-one. If they did, they'd die, simple as that.

I was also going to tell him I didn't mind. That the armor had come in handy a couple of times already and I could wait the next nine years comfortably since I'd already survived the first twelve. Shredder even agreed with me that this was my only course of action, since anything else might have had Renfeild poking around in places he shouldn't have.

But I guess I shouldn't have lost sleep over it. He never even bothered to ask at breakfast. Thank the Gods of every race for senility! He did ask me to pass the eggs magically and I managed to do so quite deftly, I am getting better at this I suppose although even at my accelerated pace I can't see how humans, with their short lifespans, could bear to devote this much time to anything.

Since I've been human the only thing I've wanted to devote my time to is becoming a dragon again as quickly as possible. You can't imagine what these other apprentices think of as funny. They're sick, twisted, and make some of my relatives look like they should be wearing footed pink bunny pjs. Uhg. Makes me want to wash my eyes just thinking about it. What ever happened to plain old torture and physical pain? Although I can say they've given me a lot of material to work with in the future...
----------------------------

10th of Netia, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Readers I fear for my life. This is no joke, not even a bad attempt at one. Yesterday I was scrubbing out the chamber pots, Renfeild had innocently eaten one of those Exploding cherry tarts a fellow apprentice had given me and well...done some exploding, when a great cry went up from the gates.

It wasn't the sort of cry that would have made me rub my hands together with glee and go congradulate whoever was stupid enough to attempt to pillage Goougwatch. It was the sort of cry that humans make when a person they greatly admire, or envy, suddenly appears on their doorstep. All I could catch at the time was that 'Renault is here!' and lots of running to the gates. Even Renfeild got off his throne long enough to order me to go fetch him.

So there I went, running down the steps, slipping because I forgot I'd just scrubbed them because Master'd had an accident, and tumbled in a tin can heap to the bottom. Luckily the door was shut and nobody saw. Unluckily they all had heard more than enough to guess what had happened. Maybe I should have put a better visor on the armor after all.

So I elbowed my way through the throng, pretty easy when your elbows are bladed and your foot feels like a sledgehammer when you step on someone's toes, to go extend Renault our warmest invitation to stay. To tell the truth I hadn't the faintest idea where he was going to stay, there were only two bedrooms in that tower and I'd be damned if I was going to let any wart-faced magus have mine.

I'd been thinking that the name was awfully familiar, and not in a good way, when I finally broke the ranks of the crowd and caught my first vision of the man himself. I froze on the spot, torn between running like hell, and throwing caution to the wind and using my elemental magics to send him somewhere else...the Kavin Hell perhaps.

What I'm trying to say is it finally dawned on me where I'd heard the name Renault before. Sir Renault Dragonsbane...Knight Commander of the Knights in White Satin. The man who had a personal grudge against me. I had it on good word that it had been he who turned the mountain that used to be my home into the biggest sinkhole in that part of the world. The man who wanted my head shrunken and in his trophy case and my hide as a new crupper for his horse.

He looked at me and smiled expectantly. He said hello and I said "Oh Damn." To cover up my exclamation I then made up some excuse about having forgotten something upstairs and extended Renfeild's hospitality. He smiled again, totally charming and disarming if I'd happened to be human and not a very old dragon who suddenly saw incentive to grow very older.

"Oh. Well tell him to just let me put somethings away and see to stabling Talon-Less and I'll up. Tell him I'll only be a moment...Uncle gets antsy and thinks some dragon in disguise got me if I don't appear right in front of him instantly. As if a dragon could disguise themselves well enough to sneak in to the Goo."

I didn't know whether to take that as a compliment that I had or an insult that implied a dragon could sneak past a group of humans that, while well trained, couldn't reach a fraction of my age if you added all theirs together. But I did as I was told and now I've locked myself in my room with Shredder. Even as I write this I know I'm going to find something to keep myself busy for the rest of the evening. The less time I spend with Renault the safer I'll feel.
-----------------------------

11th of Netia, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

If I was nervous yesterday I'm really nervous now. All Renault had time to do was drop off his bags and rush off since every mage in the Goo was demanding a piece of his time. Since Renfeild still wasn't in any shape for entertaining company he allowed that first day to slip away leaving me to scrub chamber pots and practice magic, without any trace of my usual elemental additions, in peace.

Renault came back so exhausted, and slightly inebriated, and collapsed on a fur rug near the fire. I wandered out of my room to debate plunging a bespelled dagger that I had in my horde into his chest and was appalled to find that he slept under a dragon skin blanket. Worse I recognized who's hide it had once been! Alas poor Deria I knew her well...I should have, she was my cousin!

Aunt Curia must be in such a state by now, unless she too fell to the menace of this man! I went back to bed and fumed all night which didn't make me of any better temper this morning over breakfast. Nor did the topic of conversation make me feel any less inclined to stop entertaining visions of charring Renault's flesh from his bones or some other equally satisfying fate. I've given up eating humans but I'll make an exception in his case, and smile all the way through the indgestion he's sure to cause me.

Back to the 'un'pleasant breakfast conversation. Renfeild wanted to hear all the current events of his favorite nephew's life. Current travels, current affairs, current injuries, and latest trophies. He also assured Renault that his apprentice was probably dying of excitement to hear some of his tales, and that I wasn't normally this quiet, it was probably overwhelming to be in the presence of such an agust personage.

Actually I was being quit because I feared that if I opened my mouth smoke, and vile language no human girl of my age should know in a language most humans couldn't speak, would come pouring out and I'd end up incinerating something and blowing my cover. I could tell from the way he carried himself, his subconcious actions, his bashful tale telling, and his trophy case that this was one of those few men who have decidedly earned their reputations.

I worried about how I'd take him as a dragon, I knew that taking him on as a twelve year old human brat was nothing short of insane or suicidel, take your pick. Thus I sat there, on the edge of my seat, and listened to his tales about slaying dragons, most of whom I knew either personally or by reputation. Listening to the tale of the ends of my former friends, aquaintences, and relatives. I didn't know this man had taken so many of my direct kindred, I really should have gone to more family reunions.

Then he showed me his trophy case. It was the most horrifying, stomach-turning, thing I have ever seen. You try staring at the severed, magically shrunken heads of someone you loved and not lose your lunch, your head, or your grip on your emotions. Needless to say that while I kept my head I lost my lunch and cried two tears while I was wretching my guts out. Luckily Renfeild thought that my vomit was connected with his ordeal yesterday and made excuses for me.

When I came back out though Renault was still there with those damned trophies and I had to look at them again while I heard them adressed by those wreched nicknames humans always give us because we don't give out our names. Then he came to an empty spot. "This is where I'll put the head of the Armored One." The way he said it. With total confidence and not even a hint of arrogance, I could have brushed it off if he hadn't been so damn sincere, sparked something in me.

Rivalry. He wanted my head...he was going to have to work for it. He must have noticed the smile on my face because he went to ruffle my hair and reassure me. I suppose that was when he really noticed my armor for the first time. As far as I knew he'd never seen me personally so he couldn't have really seen my armor first hand but only a fool would think that he didn't have a pretty damn accurate discription of it.

And for all it having resized and changed shape to fit my human form, it hadn't really changed that much. He stood there staring a hole in my brestplate and muttering "Strange, so strange. Coincidence?" under his breath really unnerved me. However a minute later he was all smiles and offers to show me how to fight like a Knight in White Satin.

This is a once in a lifetime offer to study my opponants moves and learn some real first hand fighting techniques for myself. Or it could be a cunning trap that will trick me into revealing myself or it will plant false knowledge in my head so that when Renault and I really meet on the feild of battle I have an illusionary edge and fail due to poor planning.

What to do?
---------------------

Interesting plot twist or did you see that one coming?

Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! Interesting.

I say take him up on his offer, but be careful! Don't venture anywhere alone with him, if you see what I mean.

Nice chapter Rai, only spoilt a bit by your usual typos. Confused
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right well the new poll is up so...

VOTE!!!

Author
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're back to this story; I'm enjoying it.

Cami should take the training, but be very careful. Maybe she can learn something useful about his tactics.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've finished Lunatic Snow I've got more time for other SG's like this one...Link's going in my Sig soon.

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So she won't pass up the oppertunity but she's not letting her guard down...Enjoy.
-------------------------

Chapter Six: Blades vs. Brains

12th of Netia, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I've decided to accept his training. Hey don't look at me like that, it's not like I could pass it up! Not only am I learning blade work, even if it is all a sham, but I'm learning it from a Knight in White Satin. I'm trying to figure a head as well, time my departure as you might say, since I'm uneasy about staying in one place too long.

Renault says it can take years to get really good, as if I didn't know that, but that he can teach me the basics in a few months...like five. Since Ferfall, next month, is the last month of summer this means that my training will continue into winter. While I don't mind the cold of winter I certainly don't want to be out traveling during those months, especially in these lattitudes.

That means I'm stuck here at the Goo until next Lugon when spring returns. Well so much for finally celebrating the holidays with my kin...or what's left of them. It might be fun to watch human celebrations though....
------------------------

30th of Netia, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch. Once again I must remind myself that being human, and a twelve year old at that, sucks nearly as much as elves do. I'm black and blue from nose to toes and so stiff that's it's messing with my magic. Renault won't even let me near a blade, or an edged wepon of any kind. He's got me using staves and lances...which only adds to my pain with all the riding.

I suddenly have more respect for all those knights that tried to kill me...I never knew what went into the training of my food. One would think though that all this battering about would have tenderized them somewhat...
-------------------

1st of Ferfall, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Nothing much more to add save that Renfeild is driving me harder than ever. He says he wants to prove my genius by having me pass my level exams on 'Mid-Winter' whenever that is. I'm guessing that it's sometime during the middle of winter but humans seem to mention it with a certain misty expression...it must be one of their holidays.

--------------------

11th of Ferfall, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Happy second anniversary to me! It's been two years since I dug my first journal out from under that stack of golden chalices and started my pennings...which in turn started my self-improvement kick. I felt older then than I do now...maybe there's something to these mid-life crisis thingys afterall.
-----------------------

12th of Ferfall, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Not alot of time but I just had to mark the second year of being human flesh free...amazing what a simple change in diet will do for a dragon...
----------------------

20th of Garbik, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Two years ago today I left my Lair, where I'd been ensconced for longer than I care to remember. Two years ago today I took the first step on this journey that has taken me around the world, to places most dragons only dream of seeing, and on adventures that I've not recounted because I lacked a journel, though no doubt I will someday jot those down.

I've made friends I'd rather forget, enemies I'd rather forgot me, and learned that dragons really can change shape...if they'd only put their minds to it. I've saved princesses, fought hideous beasts, breathed fire, ice, noxious gas, and spit acid. I've climbed mountains, swam oceans, and run so fast it brought tears to my eyes. I'm fit, lean, strong, and healthy, even if I am twelve.

I wear armor, am learning to weild a sword, finally!, and count mages amoung my mentors, along with a cat who was formerly a dog. I've found another race of dragons, made every single one of them mad at me, and returned home in one piece.

I'm living right under the nose of my mortal enemy, learning his knowledge, while celebrating two more years of life, even if it is life on the lamb. And to think it all started with vanity, pride, and curiosity. I'm shocked and he's clueless.
---------------------------------

21st of Garbik, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Did I say he was clueless? Well maybe I might have gotten carried away. Last night, while reading through some musty tomes, I came across a spell for evesdropping that was completely undetectable. I tried it out several times, spying on the Mage Council it's self. But they didn't have much interesting to say. Mostly one would talk and the others would hem and haw and hurrumph into their greasy white beards.

No what was of real interest was a conversation between Renault and Renfeild that I chanced upon while looking in the gardens to see which apprentice was trysting with which kitchen maid and then use that as ammo in my 'revenge agaist the nerds' assault. For future reference I've used a magical transcribing spell to add it to this book, just so I didn't misquote them or anything.

Uncle you can't ignore it any longer! Cami is the Armored One! She has to be!

I don't doubt Renault that my apprentice is indeed a prodegy but really, accusing her of being a dragon! Has all of that riding around on hot days done something to your mind? She's only twelve!

She's done something to change her apperance, and illusion of sorts...

An illusion wouldn't allow her to fit in my tower not if the Armored One is as big as you say.

Well then she's changed her shape like the Elves...

Are you suggesting that she managed to con the elves into teaching her Transmorphagation without the use of Transmorphagation? Just how would a dragon manage to pry their darkest secrets away from the elven masters...in such a short amount of time I might add? Also what self respecting dragon would want to be twelve?
It was a mistake honest. I really don't want to be twelve.

Who knows how much time she's had...and it might have been a renegade master! Dragons' minds are sharp, sharper than ours, Finally someone admits it. She could have tricked him any number of ways.

I don't think so. When I found her she was amoung elves, not the brightest elves I assure you, but they didn't find anything odd about her other than her armor. Which reminds me, I was going to ask her about that but completely forgot. I must remember to do that.
Oh poo, now what was that excuse I had whipped up again?

You don't get it Uncle! You're in danger...

You're the one teaching her to use weaponry, not I.

Yes I was teaching her...until she used that swift-slash technique yesterday. Where on Ere could she have learned that! I had to go all the way to...
Damn me and my attempt to impress him and speed my training up a bit...that really backfired.

Yes yes I know that story. Maybe she picked it up elsewhere, from a guard or some other sort of fellow. You're not the only one who's learned such things.

But Uncle look Cami...Camwyre, she's practically giving her self away. And what other twelve year old can instantly de-age a horse? Come on how long did it take you to learn that.

That is a point nephew. Still I believe that you should take things slowly. You may yet be wrong.

No I may yet be dead Uncle. I vowed I'd slay that vile beast and so I shall. Upon my blade I vow...

Now don't go vowing things. I understand the need to slay problem dragons. Still I don't think Camwyre is a problem dragon. If Cami is Camwyre you should take it easy on her. Try and get her to come out and tell you who she is.

Right like that's ever going to happen.
I agree with the man, Renfeild's heart's in the right place and so's mine...and I want it to stay there.

Well there's not much more of interest to this conversation so I've left it out. Now however, I have much to ponder and very little time to ponder it in.
---------------------

24th of Garbik, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Renault is taking his Uncle's advice and trying to get me to confess who I really am. He's almost slipped me up a time or two, the man is clever, but I've got his number now. He might be a master with the sword but I'm a master of my wits. Blades vs. brains always entertains me, but the life and death stakes of this match are wearing on my nerves.

Just for the record, I don't normally back down from fights this much but lately I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a more peaceable way for dragons to live with lesser creatures.

I want to stay on till Mid-Winter and complete my tests...but I don't know if I want a dracocidle maniac hovering around me all that time. I suppose the question I'm asking is...should I stay, or should I cut and run while I still have legs?
--------------------

What's Cami going to do?
---------------------

Hope you Liked it.

Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time to read this now, but I will come back. Glad you are continuing this one Rai.
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay - stay. If you run, then you'll either have to spend time alone as a 12 year old and he'll know he was right. If you try to change back, then who knows what might happen - it might go horribly wrong again.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. I say stay, it's no more dangerous than running.

Good chappy Rai!
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New poll is Up!

Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistle Should I stay or should I go
If I stay there will be trouble
If I go there will be double Whistle

Obey the song. If she stays they will think she has nothing to be afraid of. If she goes they will know. If you wan to, then go to Renault and tell him that you found the spell and heard the convo. Then weeps and say that your family was illed by the Armoured One, and that's why you wear the armour(to protect you and as a reminder) and how could he ever suspect such a thing?
Author
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely stay. Running only proves him right, and off he goes on the quest of his lifetime! Maybe a gradual dawning of the truth will give him a chance to consider that Camwyre, as his uncle has suggested, is not a problem dragon.

Good chapter - I love the phrase "dracocidal maniac".
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, stay and be crafty, it's what she is good at after all! Very Happy
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I'll leave the poll up for another day and then you folks will have your next chapter. Until then, Enjoy.

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right she stays...Enjoy...

The Beast From the East

25th of Garbik, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Well I've made the decision to stay. I've never been one to run from a fight and...well call me funny but I don't want Renault to think I'm a coward. I'd rather have him realize that I'm a worthy opponant, and maybe something he'd rather not decapitate and use for a new set of boots.

Maybe I'm just getting to old for this but I'm beginning to find the whole running thing tiring. I like living but what I'm doing right now isn't exactly living. It's more like trying to squash and overly large foot into an overly tiny shoe and then run a marathon...not exactly comfortable but I'm surviving. Speaking of survival I can now hit a quintain without having it knock me flat on my arse. I get enough rough treatment back their will all my riding practice.
--------------------------------------------

4th of Oppuck, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I have a bad feeling. Not your average feeling but more like a 'my dragon sense is tingling' feeling. Something big bad and nasty is coming this way...big enough to trip my early warning system. Shredder says he doesn't feel anything but since he's become a cat he hasn't shown one single spark of magic...I wonder sometimes.
-----------------------------------

24th of Oppuck, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I'm sorry for not keeping a better track but things have been a bit hectic in my life since the last entry. Namely the cat is out of the bag and Renault's none too happy about the way things went down. What am I saying...I'm saying that at this moment I'm curled around the bottom of Renfeilds tower with my head still attached to my neck and my skin still covering my flesh.

I'm sure you want to hear all about it so keep your hair on, I'm getting around to it.

Remember when I said something was making me nervous...three days later it arrived. I was mastering a flame sheild spell when the alarm sounded. I've never seen Renault so charged and I don't think I ever want to again. He came bounding up the stairs and demanded I hand him his sword because a monster was threatening the Goo.

Well naturally after I told him to get his own sword I followed him to see what could get Sir Renault Dragonsbane worked up. You can imagine my surprise when I recognized a very peeved Eastern dragon of my former aquaintance. And there was only one reason he could be so far from his homeland...and sure enough the next thing he did was demand that these 'human whelps' hand over Camwyrn the Defiler.

It seems I'm not universally popular after all. But you should have seen the look on Renaults face when he went to hack off the dragons forlimb and it neatly parried his stroke. I think he nearly choked on his toung and his eyes popped. The dragon delt him a neat slap with it's tail and the mighty Knight in White Satin went reeling. I know this man has killed many of my kin and he is a mighty dragon slayer, but I think that he's been fighting a certain type of dragon for too long.

He did recover though, rather spectaularly. The battle raged for quite a while and it was rather neck and neck with all the mages of the Goo keeping the defense sheilds up and reparing what damage was done to the Keep. I, on the other hand, knew that Renault was in deep trouble.

Fighting a dragon is one thing. Fighting a dragon who's weilding a blade six times longer than you are is quite another. Needless to say the dragon was in better shape than the dragonslayer and would have certainly won the battle. But that's when that little voice in the back decided to pay me one of my rare visits and gave me some rather sound advice.

It told me to go save his sorry ass. And I did so. You see I knew how to reverse the transy spell, it was a whole lot easier than casting it was. You can bet they were both surprised when I walked out between the two of them. I'm pretty sure the pair of them were both going 'WHAT??!'

Taking a strand of my hair I broke it in half and whoosh! I was my old bad ass self again. The dragon gave a startled yip, which totally destroyed his armor and shamed him, and Renault jumped back five feet. The beast from the east now needed my distruction more than ever but he learned one thing that day...Swords were probably the reason they invented armor.

He swung that blade and let me tell you my head rang like a bell. Renault even shouted that I was an idiot and 'had I forgotten everything he taught me'. But then I just blew a puff on that blade and it shattered like so many ice crystals. Needless to say that wingless blunder had his ass handed to him. I don't take that kind of crap from anyone, nevermind someone who resembles a knockoff of my own race.

He runs away giving me the 'you are a mighty warrior' speech and I had all of five seconds to feel proud of myself...then there was the sound of crossbows being loaded. I turn around and find every mage pointing a staff at me, some pointing aforementioned crossbows, and others with various edged weaponry. Even Renault had gotten too his feet and pointed his sword at me.

It was a tense moment...and I had to go and spoil it by laughing. Well that didn't go over well and I had to turn a few volley's of arrows, using High Magick go me, before we got around to a talkable point. Renault spouted something about 'slaying the pillaging beast' to which I sensably pointed out that I hadn't pillaged anything in a very long time...a very long time.

I also pointed out that had I been out to do any harm I'd have done it already. This included killing Renault who was in no condition to argue...or I could have just left him to die at the hands of that 'lizard'. Things have gotten better slowly...although if Renault tells Renfeild 'I told you so' one more time he's going to get a nasty surprise.

The mages of the Goo actually like having me around. I provide them with a source of magical ingrediants, like usless scales and claw trimmings, while I continue to study magic. They think I'm quite marvlous, except Renault that is. He's still convinced that I'm going to break out in a berzerker rage at any moment and level the Keep.

26th of Oppuck, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I almost forgot to mention something. Did you know that Puddles wasn't a dog in the first place? He was actually a human mage called Archibald Pudmis who had an unfortunate encounter with elves. It seems he went to learn Transy...and never came back. Now the mystery is solved though.

When I banished my Transy spell I put extra oomph in it, just to make sure. Well since Pud...er I mean Archie was wrapped up in that spell to it removed all the Transy spells on him, returning him to normal form. I don't think his pussycat friend appriciated it much though, she's still not speaking to him. I guess being a familiar is benieth some cats.

Now though, I am faced with a new dilemma. It seems I will never been invested as a Mage. The Council decided that being a dragon gave me an 'unfair advantage' over the other students. Thus I am banned from any tests or resgisters although I am free to continue my study and practice of High Magick. Like they could stop me.

That, while it is disheartening, isn't the worst of my problems. When dragons fight we kick up quite a cloud of 'dust' both magical and mundane. I have just recived a summons to Court. Zalgum himself wishes to speak with me about 'various concerns to draconic society' as posed by my 'most un dragon like behaviour'. I have a feeling this is just the King's attempt to harm me in some way.

You see Zalgum and I go back...way back. His father took over for Argack the Black when he died...something to do with too much sugar. While Nephals and I got along well, I used to whelpsit him, but I spoke up loudly when he 'mysteriously' died and his son took over without so much as raising a talon. It's just not right to have a bloodless succession like that. Besides I know Nephals never intended Zalgum to rule.

Why do you think I spent all that time in my cave? When the dragon king hates you it's not a healthy thing to be in the public eye. Now though, well I guess I'm inspiring other dragons to go on to undreamed of hights.

Coming back to the point I've got this summons and while I'd love to smoke it to ash and rub Zalgie's snout in it that's not an option at this point. I need a plan, a way to survive the dragon court. And I thought Renault was bad...

Who's got a plan?

Hope you liked.

Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the mages and Renault for help. Convince them that Zalgum is more powerful than you, but with their help you can defeat him and banish a huge threat to Mankind.
Author
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...a problem indeed if there ever was one. Asking for help could be tricky, besides from what you said about not being able to rub Zalgum's dirty little snout in something, would probably apply to allowing the Head of the Knights of White Satin along with all the mages of Goo go in and kick Zalgum's but for you.

No...you said you need a way to survive talking to Zalgum, and if you bring the Knights of White Satin or the Mages of Go, you probably won't last long as long as any dragon is around, not even mentiong Zalgum.

Well, obviously, you have to go. But it doesn't say how. The Dragon's are probably concerned that you have been acting 'undragonish' lately, and if you go in acting like a coward or if you go in like the 'man-loving Dragon' Zalgum is probably telling everyone you are; you're going to get your but kicked. Zalgum thinks you've become timid, mild, and 'undragonish', So do the opposite. Go in as the one but kicking, look at my snazy armor, most Dragonish Dragon they ever seen.

Polish up your armor, think of a couple good 'fake' conquest to tell about, carry in a couple 'fake heads' of Knights for show.

Better yet, come with the Head of The White Satin himself in tow. Yep, you heard me right bring Renault with you. But not as your conquer, not as the person whose going to defend you, but as your slave. Try to convinence the Dragon Court that you've planned everything about your capture. How you're really planning the entire kingdom on these 'foolish humans' heads, how though it seems that Renault captured you, it's really you whose captured him, that's it's all in your elaborate plan. If the Dragon Society thinks you've captured the head of the Knights of the White Satin, and that your planning to bring the whole society of mankind to it's knees, the other dragons will be less willing to let anything happen to you. Zalgum will have a hard time conviencing anyone your behaving unfit for a dragon if you come with your servant Renault in tow.

How are you going to convinence Renault to follow this genius plan? I don't know, that's your problem, tell him that if he goes the entire kingdom will gain vaulable information on what the dragon society is planning. Tell him something, anything, to get him to agree. What you do afterwards is entirely up to you.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why those are lovely ideas...and now that I've got more than one I'll put up a poll.

Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rai, I missed the new chapter! Blush

Anyway, voted!
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people have spoken...unfortunately I won't have time to write the new chappy for a couple of days. Don't worry, I'll make up for it when I do so keep your appendages crossed and try not to bite your lips too hard.

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is your promised chappy...Enjoy.

Chapter Eight: Travlers Ho!

27th of Oppuck, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I've decided to go, after all if I've learned anything in these past two years it's that sitting in one place never gets anything done at all. It's much better to be on the move, seeing the glorious sights and taking in the wonder and beauty all around than it is to be stuck in one place twiddling my opposeable claws, I don't have thumbs you realize...I miss that about being human.

I've also come up with a plan, a rather good one if I do say so myself. I've been rooting through my hoard for some souveniers of my travles, the ones I havn't yet gotten around to telling you about, and I've got some rather impressive things in there. Things like all three of the skulls from the demon Mel'Brouks with their lingering taint. Or maybe the horn from a Uouz, or Unicorn of Unusual Size...the thing was almost as big as I was...okay I'm exaggerating a bit on that one but it was still big.

I've got an assortment of bits from the two knights in white satin I've already taken out and I've got a large collection of various crystal staves, each imbued with spells of World-Breaking. It seems when mages lose one of something they just make another, rarely bothering to go after the other. I'm sure I can dig out enought treasures to impress even the most jaded noble at court...and then there's my armor.

I mean it's one of a kind and hand forged by moi. It's also made from the smelted swords of thousands of my foes, some of those blades were enchanted and do you know how hard it was to melt them down and still keep their enchantments whole! Pain in the ass lemme tell ya. I now regret shattering the sword of the Eastern Dragon, couldn't be helped and it was his damn fault, but I would have liked to have it for myself, not just the various pieces I've managed to pick up.

But those are just the trinkets. I've figured out something that will really wow them and I mean show stopping, jaw dropping, shock and awe that will blow them away...if only I can get Renault to agree to it. I'd like to have him following me like a servant, a slave would be better, but I doubt I'd get that from him so I'm going to ask him to go as my 'traveling companion'. Archie is also remaining loyal to me, having been around me so long and not been eaten has bolstered his status amoung mages considerably, and refused to be left behind when I told him about the scroll last night.

"I've come this far, you're not going to boot me out just now when things are getting interesting." Who am I to argue, just the fifteen hundred foot long dragon encased in three inch plate mail. I'm finding it odd to have friends that arn't dragons...and are actually friends. The horse, you remember him don't you? The one the caravan master left me as payment, has vailiantly volunteered to serve as Archie's mount. Well it was either that or be dinner, payback for all those jolts during the time I rode him. I doubt that Renault will leave his oh so precious charger behind so I had to be fair...kinda odd for me eh?

So now I'm off to start arguing with a very stubborn Knight who'd rather be chopping off my head than admitting I saved his miserable dracocidal hide. Well as soon as I make sure I've got some bandages ready in advance.
----------------------------------------

1st of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

It took me some time, and several slight cuts where I had to fend off his inintial attacks, but I've convinced him to come with me as my 'personal trainer'. I don't know how well that guise is going to work since I'm fit and slim at the moment...maybe I'll just say it's to keep my good looks intact. He's still giving me dark looks about it but every time he starts grumbling I say 'And just think. You'll be within striking distance of Zalgum himself,' and he perks up a bit.

We're just beginning preparations since I'm going to have to carry the horses for most of the journey, no way in any of the hells I'm going to walk to GodSpine Reach, which by the way is the Citidel of the Dragon king and you probably didn't know that, not with it already being Blarg and winter shaping up to be the coldest in a long time. It might take us two years to reach it traveling ground-bound. Besides, being human has given me a serious love of my wings and I've done enough walking, running, etc. to puke if someone mentions it again.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem if Archie keeps them under a sleep spell. I can have us airborn and to the Rim of the World, which is the massive wall of peaks that ring the dragonlands from the lands of man, some concession of the gods back at the dawn of time to keep us from wiping mortals out. And yes elves are mortal. They'll only live a thousand years at best, I'm already so much older than that it's scarey and makes me sick to contemplate it.

If someone put candels on my birthday cake the sun would be jealous. Not to mention that the cake would probably cover some small contenants just to hold all the candles...and that's if you're marking the hundred year intervals, true dragon years, not mortal years. But enough about my old bones as I change the subject to something other than me, hard to do but possible.

There is a rumor going around the Goo that several other mages want to go with me. So far I've managed to put my foot down, I'm not taking an invasion force up there, it's going to be bad enough bringing any of them along and keeping them from being snacks on the lunch menu. Besides, I'm not a pack mule and I absolutely am not going to carry any more than I have to. Two horses is enough. Also, through that nifty little eavesdropping spell I discovered, I found out there are some nasty rumors going around the court that I've been captured.

Nothing of the sort. I'm staying at the Goo from mutual consent of the mages and myself. In other words, I'm not ready to leave yet and they can't make me. They could pelt me with arrows and I'd still not more one moment before I felt like it...although I might feel like torching some things on the way out. Anyway, I've got some more planning to do.

8th of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

One week later and we're finally on the road, or well in the sky. I've flown all day, I would have kept going but Archie can only stay awake so many hours in a row and I've no wish for the horses to wake up suddenly and panic when I'm miles above land around midnight. The humans have made camp, a cozy looking little lean too...not. They're freezing even will piles of furs and bespelled blankets. It's only autumn for gods sakes and they're cold. They won't last five minutes in the Citidel durning the long winter months when the ice sometimes keeps us from venturing outside.

Another problem has also come to mind and I've been chewing it over for a few days. Two humans, even if one of them is Renault, is going to seem like a pitiful pair of servants. Most dragons have magical creatures of some kind serving them, guarding their Lairs and such you know the drill. And if they don't have magical slaves they have fostered orphan whelps of their own unbeloved offspring. I've never really needed such but now I'm wondering if I'll be scoffed at when I get there for 'lack of muscle'.

Last I was at court the more amazing your entourage the better your prestige. While I didn't want to take every mage in the Goo, and several dozen Knights in White Satin, with me I'm not adverse to a few magical creatures press-ganged into my service. I'm thinking about discussing it with the others but I don't think they'll be of much help. Renault will understand about them but point out I no longer have a Lair to guard, thanks to him, and Archie will just look at me like I've gone mad, that's his latest thing.

Still it's worth considering and there are several places where I could pick up magical muscel that are along the way.
-----------------------------------------

12th of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I've made my choice, I'm getting some bad ass bodyguards. But they're not for me, they're for Archie and Renault. The pair of them are proving to be more hassle than they're worth, almost. Renault is a master at fighting men and dragons and Archie is a Master High Mage, I wish he were an adept, with some Transy training but they can't fight there way out of a wet paper bag when it comes to mountain giants. I had to take care of that pair myself.

So I've made a note to pick up at least five or six hired hands. Now I've go to choose which one I'm going to go after first. I could go get an elven master of Transy, which would help me stay educated while providing the third leg of our magical tripod from their secluded wood. I could ask the dwarven Artificers, which is a magic I suppose but nobody but the dwarves recognizes it as so. Humans and Elves don't really want to acknowledge the dwarves as magical and Dragons consider most other magics 'inferior'...well most dragons do.

Or I could get a Aous from the feilds of Coonu. I don't really care for them but an Alicorn of Unusual Size might be extremely helpful. There are some others I could get but their lands lay closer to my destination, the rocs and Hydrax and such. It's just that these three destinations, especially the feilds of Coonu, are coming up and if I don't make my choice quick I'm going to pass these three up in hopes of something even better.

I'm caught in another bind it seems....

Well which should she go after? P.M. me for basic creature details.

Hope you liked.

Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the elf of course. Elves are far better than dwarves anyday.

Plus, with a dwarf you'll have to go by foot, while elves can ride.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aous. She said magical creatures , not magical peoples. And I'm sure someone will say 'Alicorns are people too!' but I don't think it'll look very impressive if you turn up and your entourage consists entirely of two-leggers anyway. Plus they'll provide more muscle in a fight than drarves and elves.

Tea Cures All.
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she'll need magic more than muscle. Anything she can't kill I doubt an Aous will stand a chance against.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, good!
Just finished catching up which I have been meaning to do for a while.

great sg, Rai.
I say the elves - but whichever is nearer really. I am slightly biased towards elves though, as they are one of if not my favorite fantasy race.
Looking forward to the next chapter,

solus Wink

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Author
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Drawves. However, if I could, I would say all three after all why not? But if I must choose I say Drawves.

Why?

Because I can. That's why, but here's a few other legitmate reasons to consider my choice.

1.) Everyone else already suggested something, therefore I can suggest Drawves to appease my love for being difficult.

2.) Drawves are magical, but not acknowledge, therefore you can use their magic as a sneak attack.

3.) Their small, conventilally handled, and few of them might recongize our Dragoness' army as inspired by their own metals, thus might be more willing to curroprate.

4.) If they get to be a pain in the you know where, you could just eat them as a handy midnight snack.
Author
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for an Aous just because it sounds quite impressive and isn't apparently two legged, or wait until something even better comes along...tempting...
Author
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote Aous! Aous for king!

Oh, this isn't an election?

Tea Cures All.
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted this one! I will return to it soon for comment. No time now...
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right new poll...Vote.

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been slacking...alright I blame NaNo for the lateness of this chappy but now that it's here...Enjoy.

Chapter Nine: Did I mention I Hate Elves?

13th of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I decided to go with elves, for two reasons. One, I can learn Transy while I travel and two, they're alot easier to eat if they get lippy. As I passed over the fields of Coonu I didn't see a single Aous anyway so I guess it's just as well I've decided to go with elves...even if it means I might have one more thing to carry.
-------------------------------

19th of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I'm cold, wet, and my hindquarters are encased in a block of ice. Normally I wouldn't mind that but the block of ice started off as a mountain side. The elves were none too thrilled to see me...or actually they didn't so much mind me as they did Archie. Apparently being turned into a dog wasn't an accident...it was a punishment for making eyes at an elven princess...big no no if you happen to be a mortal. Half elves are frowned upon.

So here I sit, my butt freezing, and Renault is encased in a cage of thorny vines at my feet. Where Archie is I really couldn't say but when I get my claws on him...oh he'll regret not being neutered. I bet you want to know how all this happened and I suppose one day I'll look back on this and laugh...or so they say. So here goes...

I'd been flying for quite some time, anxious to reach the Briblewood and aquire and elf, so I wasn't paying as much attention as I normally do. I completely missed the vistor's center and it's landing strip by a mile or two and set us down in the palace courtyard instead. It's a simple mistake, anyone who'd just flown sevety-two hours straight would have made the same. I even offered to replace the ornate garden that I crushed with my left rear foot. But the arrows never wavered, nor did the squinty eyed steely stares.

Unlike the elves of the Islwood and the Ipswood these folk were no slouches when it came to weaponry and dangerous magic. At first they thought I was an elf transformed into a dragon, as if! Firstly I've seen what Transy masters call 'dragons' they're four foot lizards. Not even a growth spell could have made some transformed elf into something my size. They finally figured out I was not an elf when they tried to 'reform' me and all they succeeded in doing was making a small fireworks show.

Then they noticed I was packing a couple of horses and some men on my back. Without lowering the bows they told me to drop my prisoners, I give them brownie points for the thought but they really should have asked, and I politely informed them that these were not my prisoners but my traveling companions. They wiggled their pointy ears a bit before asking me, sarcastically, to put my 'traveling companions' down. I obliged and that's when the manure hit the wind.

They took one look at Archie and the arrows flew, causing both Renault and I to do some fancy moves, namely casting an arrow repelling sheild and then dodging the boulders they turned into. Archie just kicked his horse in the ribs and tried to run for it but the horse was still sedated. Ever heard of the expression don't kick a dead horse...apparently he hadn't. The elves soon took him prisoner, wrapped him up in some nastly looking Rashweed rope, and drug him off somewhere.

Meanwhile some elf mages turned the mountainside I'd been leaning against into a block of ice, thus trapping my posterior end, and grew a steelthorn vine cage around Renault. They informed us that we were in no uncertain terms to attempt escape or face the consequences. After watching Archie spend the past two plus years of his life as a dog, which he still is, I was in no hurry to bust up this glacier that kept me grounded. Renault, on the other hand, was using some language that I didn't think a man of honor and quality upbringing would know.

Right now I'm writing by moonlight, since I'm not sure the elves would approve of my journal and I'm not about to share it with them. These are my private thoughts to be shared with friends only...I havn't even let Renault see this and I'm pretty sure I'm revoking Archie's library card after this little escapade. I havn't even been able to get a word in edgewise with these elves.
-----------------------------------

20th of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Now they're mad at me. I got sick of being stuck in the same position so I extracted myself from the ice cube and the elves got all huffy. Alright so I turned the thing into six feet of snow and buried their capital what are you going to do about it? Tell my mother? But to make a long story short they called it an escape attempt and the bows and transforming arrows came back out, along with several transy masters who made themselves into giant element golems who shadow my every move...I find it cool.

Right now I've spent my day reading and conversing with Renault while we wait to here more about Archie...there's a bit of a bet going to see what they turn him into. Renault thinks Archie will spend the rest of his days as a rock, I'm pretty sure they'll mulch him. I would but that's just me I suppose.

I think the elves are surprised that I'm making no attempt to escape...or destroy their village. Or maybe they were surprised that I was sitting quietly, ignoring all their threats and weaponry, reading several books and scrolls and making notes in the margines on how to do this or that. I know I certainly caught the attention of one of the guards when I whipped out a book called 'Transy...Is it For You?'

He hasn't quit eyeing me all day. He's most definetly a mage, I can smell it, but he's not cast any spells that I've noticed. He seems to be watching all the other elves, a 'supervisor' of sorts. Ah well, time to put my books away.
------------------------------------

21st of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

The elf mage who's been staring at me, I did mention him yesterday right? Turns out he's the assistant Magistrix of the College of Transy. He's rather interested that a dragon would want to learn the art. He's also rather shocked that I've got such a grip on High Magick or that I've done half of what I've done. He wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't shown him some souvenire view-globes of favorite moments.

He says he'd like to test my aptitude for Transy and I told him I'm a little pressed for time but if he wanted to have a 'grand adventure' he could come with me. He seems willing to listen but how will I convince him to come with me...an assistant Magistrix would be perfect as magical muscle...and a private tutor too. Although I suppose I should go looking for Archie too...

Which to do first?
-------------------------------

Well, what should she do? If she's going to convice the mage she needs something to tell him. If she's going to find Archie she needs a plan.

Hope you liked.

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Author
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the elf is far more useful so convince him first.

What to tell him, well subtly suggest all the gold he will get, all the sights he will see etc...being fairly liberal with the truth.
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I f5 Jezzo. Get him along. Could be useful.
Author
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer the guy as a job. Straight up. No frills. No flattery. Just a deal. Tell him what you want and then wait for a reply.

If he refuses, shrug and begging to lurk around for dear old Archie by spying on the guards.

Once you find Arichie give him a good what for and get the out of here...
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New poll is up...choose their fate!

Author
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a glitch in this poll, besides the double choices. I voted, but I can see neither the results nor the names of who voted. (Before I logged in I saw the results but not the names.)
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Christmas gift to all of you...a new chappy! Merry Christmas, Enjoy!

Chapter Ten: Darkwood Dilemma

22nd of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I did something completely unusual for me...I told him the truth. I told him I'd like very much if he came with me since I was on my way to visit the Dragon King himself in the Citidel at Godspine Reach. If he came with me not only would he be the first elf to ever teach a dragon Transy but he might just be the first High Elf to ever enter the Citidel and live. High elves, unlike their many cousins of darker, and stupider, lineage have only ventured into those mountains with the plan to kill something...and the only something worth killing in those mountains are dragons.

He told me he was going to have to think about my offer, and that if he agreed that would do nothing to get us out of our current situation. He told me that if I was sincere about my offer I would extract myself from my current prickly situation, namely being a prisoner of the elven army. I told him I'd need to sleep on it.

And yet here I am, writing all this down instead of sleeping. It's alright though, I actually only brainstormed an hour before hitting upon an answer that might actually work. I mean who doesn't love shiney objects...
------------------------

23rd of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I had our elven friend, his name is some long complicated thing with way too many letters in it for me to remember so I'm calling him Bob, tell us without telling us where Archie was. Apperantly he did more than make eyes at the aforementioned elven princess and she was trying desperately to forestall his impending doom. Being a princess, and an elven one at that, she was doing a superb job of it, dragging out regulations that dated back to the days when I still had shell stuck to my hide.

Apparently Archie has a way to clear his name, he must go on a quest to prove himself honorable in the eyes of the High elves and, since this is a princess we're talking about, get himself named Elf-Brother. Once he does that then it's no big deal, as long as the princess herself wills the match then Archie is free to court her. Of course the idiot knows nothing about this, neither did the elves though.

As I said some of these regulations were very, very old. This one was one of the eldest on the books. Bob said it had been found by an adventuring researcher in the nineth level of the nineth Library Dungeon who, after hacking through Venom Fiends, Flaming Constructs, and one rather nasty giant chicken by the name of Poltra, found himself in an old records room. He managed to stumble back out six days later.

His hair had turned into an Afro, his sword into a massive pic, his sheild into an industrial sized tube of extra hold hair gel, and his suit of silver armor was now a silver polyester suit. Down in the depths of that room he'd encountered one of the most deadly guardians the elves had ever put to work...an 8-Track! But through his bravery and valor he'd managed to return to the surface with a slightly damaged book of ancient elf laws.

Now that I know this I've managed to pursuade Bob to carry a message to Archie telling him to tell the guards he wants to see the King about a Section Seven. I can only hope the little twit takes my advice.

24th of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Archie took the bait! Good boy! He was also smart enough to use Section Seven to the best possible advantage. According to that old law if the accused, that's Archie, offers to do any task set him by the King then he shall be allowed to choose three companions to aid him on the quest. If the King had known that, I think that old elf might have just skimmed the section in question rather than read it, I doubt he would have assigned Archie something so...perfect.

You see Archie has been charged with slaying the Darkwood Dragon, a monster under the command of a legion of Slime Elves. Never heard of Slime Elves you say...neither had I up until that point. They're some new hybrid I suppose but then an elf's and elf as I always say.

Archie naturally chose myself and Renault to help him, and then chose Bob just for good measure. Bob needed the rest of the day just to prepare, I don't really think he's got a lot of confidence in the abilities of the rest of us. He seemed really shook up over this 'Darkwood Dragon' fellow. Maybe he's not the best choice for a companion to the dragon capital.

Still we did manage to get airborn this morning, and now I'm packing three horses...well two horses and one rather peevish unicorn named Lylanda the Stunning. She's been Bob's companion since birth apparently. Oh well, I suppose I can always eat her if she causes too many problems. She won't let us put her to sleep though, which I find a pity since she gets airsick and I'm constantly trying to tilt her so she doesn't puke on my claws.

After flying for most of the day, on a course that's rather well out of our way I might add, we landed and camped for the night just inside the edge of the Darkwood. I also might want to add that the Darkwood is a dragon-wood, not an elf wood. The trees are far too big and tall and the underbrush is the hight of a tall man at it's smallest. The creatures that exist under it's canopy, in the lightless expanse of it's rot covered floor, are perfect prey beasts for dragons as well. Naturally they don't exactly seem like prey to any of the others but my mouth's been watering all day.

Now though, I'm debating telling my companions something that may, or may not, make a difference in the way they act. My little secret happens to be that the elven princess, the one that's being so kind to Archie, has stowed away in one of the massive packs that Bob insisted on making me carry. I feel like a regular mule with everything that I'm hauling but Bob insists everything he's packed is absolutly vital to this particular mission. Still about that princess...
------------------------

25th of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Turns out I didn't need to tell them anything. The princess snuck out of the packs last night, she was bored and a little hungry, and I asked her rather politely if she'd like some of the stew we'd had for dinner warmed up a bit...since it had cooled from when we had eaten it. Once I started adressing, she's obviously never conversed with a dragon before, she let out such a scream that it woke the whole camp.

Now I'm sitting here in the wee morning hours jotting this down, since I find it hilarious, and she's being coddled by both Archie and Bob while Renault is absolutely livid that one, she stowed away, and two, I didn't tell them I knew about it. He's all in favor of taking her back, as is Bob for different reasons, while she and Archie are all in favor of letting her stay. It comes down to my vote and if I hear that princess say 'oh I beseech you great and noble queen of the skies, allow me to stay with yon companions' one more time I'll rid the elven nation of yet another princess.

My concerns are a little more practical. If I take her back I'm wasting quite a bit of time in flight that need not be wasted. On the other talon if I let her stay she's in real danger of getting killed and then I've got the High elven nation breathing down my armor all hot with vengance over her death. Then again I seriously doubt that, with the four of us guarding her, there is even a remote chance anything more serious than a hang nail will happen to her.

Still...
---------------------------

Hope you liked.

Author
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it didn't it waste time, I would be all for taking the Princess back or eating her...although admitadly that would result in disater but I'm sure the elves would get over it in a century or so.

Btw...did I mention I hate princess, especially elven ones. Beautiful, stricking, Princess are nothing but whiny, selfish, self-centered, snobs! Who needs a princess anyway?

However there is the fact that doing so would lead to disater, so how about turning the aformentioned annoyance into something, small, easier to carry, less annoying, and hard to harm. This way the Brat is out of harms way, you get her out of the hair, and if you look at technically your not taking the elven princess with you.

Your taking an thing that happens to be an elven princess transied by that's totally different than carring a elven princess, isn't it?
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'll give it another few days for more suggestions...then I'll put up a poll.

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right new poll is up, gotta get a new chappy out sometime. Be ye voting now?

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I know this one had a long chappy gap but I hope it was worth the wait. Enjoy.
------------------------

Chapter Eleven: Princess? What Princess?

26th of Blarg, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Archie is sulking, Renault won't speak to me, and I couldn't be happier. You remember my little problem with the Elf princess right? Well I've found a cute little loophole I can exploit. The elves can't do anything to me for taking their princess into danger if I don't take an 'elf princess' into danger. And I'm not.

I'm taking a spotted Griphon. Okay, okay so I'm not that great at Transy. I was trying to turn her into a harmless cat, like Shredder, and ended up with a creme and cocoa creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle...Griphon. And now I'm planning on taking her with me just like she is...Griphons are excellent magical muscle and it seems she can't untransform herself, neither can Bob for that matter. He's not sure what went wrong but he's assuring me he'll figure it out.

In the meantime I'm trying to figure out just who this Darkwood Dragon is. I mean do I know them or do I just go in their and kill them without any of the tedious paperwork and apologies. I really hope it's the latter.

1st of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Today is our first day of venturing into the Darkwood, aptly named if unimaginatevly, and I'm already sick and tired of my companions. Renault and his charger bolted off into the woods saying he'd take care of the dragon and be back by lunch. He was back by lunch alright, apparently Knights in White Satin arn't equipped to handle Giant Spiders. Fortunately I am...Spiders EEEK! Right just had to get that out.

Well after stealing the spiders' lunch, Renault says he's greatful but seems more embarassed than anything, we pressed on into the depths of the forest. I havn't seen any signs of 'Slime Elves' but I've seen plenty of slime the further in we go.
-------------------------------------

8th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Well I've seen Slime Elves and now I must say I am unimpressed. They get marks for slime production and fashion sense but not much else. Bob, thankfully, had turned himself into a large Raven to do some scouting shortly before we encountered the Slime Elves and has been sucessfully masquerading as Archie's familiar. The princess, also with a name I cannot pronounce so we're calling Aya, didn't even get a second glance not when the elves saw that this motley crew was traveling with moi.

Indeed the elves were more than willing to cooperate when they saw me shouldering my way through the trees and spitting branches out of my mouth. It's too bad the Darkwood Dragon is not home right now or else I might be able to figure out if we're any closer to slaying him. They say he'll be home in a day or so but that's just more time lost for me.

10th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Well our plans just went down the tube. The Darkwood Dragon has returned but there will be no slaying of him...not if I have anything to say about it. I've lost enough family members to dragonslayers, I'll not be party to the death of my nephew. He's not exactly happy about running into his 'eccentric' aunt either. He's already tried twice to deny relation but he stopped when I said that if I was mistaken and he wasn't my nephew then I guess Renault could just take care of him.

He shut up then and grudginly acknowledged me. Apparently he's not happy to see me not just because I'm encased in armor and traveling with two humans, one elf-raven, one elf-griphon, two horses, and one unicorn. He's also slightly embarassed that I caught him 'working' for Slime Elves. Wait until his mother hears about this! My nephew, he goes by the name Feldin, is a respectible black dragon, nice venom, good scales, real pillage material.

However, he's got no ambitions to pillage whatsoever. He's quite happy to laze around here and let the elves feed him because he scares off those who would invade their woods. Oh he does do fly overs of the Elven cities, not the capital though, and put the fear of dragons in the elves, but besides spitting acid on rooftops and bellowing hard enough to shake stones he's useless.

Once he found out what I was doing here, didn't believe I was here to learn Transy foolish boy, his teeth nearly fell out of his jaws. He couldn't believe that Zalgum himself had called on me. Apparently, not surprisingly, he's been to court recently and says Zalgum is just not the sort to send for someone, especially someone like me. The old ways are dying out, I'm not just eccentric I'm a relic according to Feldin. Humph, I don't think I like that.

11th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Well we're heading back out of the Darkwood, yes all of us, and Feldin is none to happy about it. However, he's more interested in what will happen when I show up at court. Now, as we trek back out of the woods, I'm contimplating the two problems facing us. One, we didn't slay the Darkwood Dragon. Two, Aya is still a griphon.

I think they'd probably let us get away with taking Feldin with us but I've got no idea how they'll react when they find out we can't change her back. Bob says there's a spring in the nearby Guilwood that removes all magical effects, he thinks that might work, or Archie says it's only a matter of my reversing the spell...which could go very wrong. Or we could just run...I'm all up for that. It would certainly save some time.

What to do...
------------------------

Sorry it's short but hope you liked.

Author
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say run...and take the princes with you. Maybe the elves won't notice.....
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore suggestions?

Author
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, no need to go back to Aya's tribe before heading for court. On with the adventure, and worry about transforming her back later.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any need for a poll...otherwise I'll skip right to writing the chappy.

Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I f5 the above. Go for it Rai.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then I should have it up day after tomorrow.

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right...new chappy. Enjoy.

Chapter Twelve: Dwarves, Wyverns, and Me

12th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Well I've had it up past my crest with waiting around and taking little side trips. I settled the whole argument pretty quickly by pointing out that if I didn't get to Godspine Reach soon we were all in deep trouble. The argument became pointless after that and we're readying for take off now.
------------------------------

13th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

And once again, we've got problems. I'm so fed up with this, so tired of every moment having yet another thing crop up and get in my way. I swear if my life were a story it would be filled with completely pointless and random things! I don't even know how we ran into those dwarves. One minute I was flying along fine, Feldin right behind me carrying the horses, that's one job I didn't mind giving up. The next I'm all alone in the sky and had to back track to find him.

He'd spotted something shiney and interesting looking and all those pillaging instincts I thought he didn't have kicked in. Must be something to do with being in the company of a real dragon. Anyway to make a long story short he swooped down and got himself tangled up in a Dwarven dragon-trap. I was a little brighter than that...I sent Renault, Archie, Bob, and Aya to get him loose rather than landing myself.

Where there is one dragon snare there are more...
--------------------------------

14th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I could not be happier. These dwarves are swell people, really nice folk. And I'm not just saying that because they fed me an entire caveworm soaked in Dwarven White Ale and fawned over my armor. I'm saying that because, despite the fact I'm traveling with elves, they've volunteered a party of their stoutest warriors and a Master Artificer to go with me. I said yes to the Master Artificer, Borak, and his brother, Fulak, who's a Dwarven Axe Master.

Borak also mentioned that, in honor of my superior intelligence in recognizing the value of well crafted armor, the other Master Artificers are making me something very special. I'm as giddy as a hatchling trying to figure out what it is....

20th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

The Dwarves made me a sword...a dragon-sized sword! The looks of shock and horror on the faces of my companions were so worth it as well. Renault remembers all too well the fact he was giving me training and that I had spent time in the Eastern lands with those dragons. Feldin can't believe that his aunt could actually use a human weapon to better effect than her own talons. Archie is already trying to figure out a way to stop me incase I ever decide to go on a rampage. And Aya gave a single squack and hid behind Feldin.

We're ready to go now and will be leaving in the next day or so as soon as the Dwarves get their clockwork Wyverns working. Apparently they ride the things into battle now...I'm impressed.

23rd of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

Today is my last day of freedom. Tomorrow we'll cross the Rim of the World and be in the Dragonlands at last. Once there...well we'll all have to start acting a little differently. Renault, Archie, Bob, Borak, and Fulak are willing to act like slaves, I've convinced them it's the only way to stay alive...and it is. Then the horses, unicorn, and gryphon have all realized that if they don't behave they'll end up as meals. All and all my escort is...motley at best. Not at all the impressive thing I would have liked.

I'm more like an elderly lady with her ten cats than I am the mighty warrior with her entourage of magical creatures and beaten foes. Feldin is already grumbling about how his friends are going to act and how he'll never hear the end of it. I politely reminded him that Sir Renault Dragonsbane was a member of our party and could easily put 'an end to it' and he shut up.

As much as I just want to go marching in there, screaming a death chant and waving my big sword around, I doubt that would go over well. I'm thinking of taking the Citidal by night and making everyone get up at some impossibly odd hour to accomidate me...especially and including Zalgum himself. That young whelp has a lot to answer for and, while I'm not very happy about meeting him while he's surrounded by alert and sober guards, I wouldn't mind meeting him in the least when everyone at court is slightly groggy.

Still, he'd only pay me back for the inconvinence later. And no doubt he'd be able to do it better since he's the King and has more resources at his disposal. But then again he did send for me, the eccentric old relic in plate mail...it's his own fault if I'm...well...eccentric.

What to do...what to do...
------------------------------

Cami wants to meet the Dragon King on her own terms...how might she do this (make herself look good while Zalgum doesn't) without over-slighting the king?
-----------------------
Sorry about this being a shortie but the DP's interesting...hopefully you liked.

Author
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look like an old Lady with her ten cats...then act like it.

My Sensi said once , "Play your weakness so your enemies ignore your strengths." Of course he was talking about the fact that at the time, I was quick, fast, and flexible but weak, inexprienced, and probably was about to get my but whooped by someone five years younger than me and four feet tall...but that's beside the point.

I say arrive at the thing, sword hidden, and maybe a little dusty, rusty, and definetly excentric.

Deaf even. Arrive when you get there, and when they tell you what time you are to meet 'his majesty' conviently 'mishear' the time, and arrive at either a really early time (say they say Four....you arrive at four in the morning, a simple honest mistake really). If this offends his majesty, well he'll just have to forgive an old fragile dragon whose senile beyond his years.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't get another suggestion for a poll option by tomorrow I'm going to go ahead and write the final chapter on Din's time mix-up suggestion...

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the adventures of Camwyre come to an end. Enjoy.
-----------------------

Chapter Thirteen: Joy and Tears

24th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I cannot quit smirking to myself. I sent Feldin ahead to warn the king we were coming and request an audiance time with 'His Highness'. Feldin returned naturally and told me Zalgum would see me promptly at three. So what do I do? I arrived at three in the morning, sword tucked away in my hoard, cohortes and baggage dumped all over the throne room, bellowing at the top of my lungs about young hatchlings and their hideous manners.

Zalgum wasn't very pleased but could hardly fault Feldin, though he tried. After all, he wasn't very keen on explaining to me that he ment three in the afternoon, not three in the morning. Infact, the great king Zalgum took one look at me and got even greener.

After sorting out that early morning debicle he promptly assigned me a set of caves and ordered my party and I to get some sleep and that he'd send for us later. Well the day has come and gone and night has fallen and there's no sign of him sending for us yet. I can feel it, like an itch in my scales that Zalgum is up to no good. I just don't know what...

25th of Kamti, 14th Year of Zalgum the Green,

I know now. Last night, long after everyone had gone to bed, the Guards came for us. I was still awake, still trying to figure out what Zalgum could want, could be up to...I know you're wondering why I didn't fight. Well you try fighting when one moment your half drozing in the moonlight, the next you're on the bottom of a ten dragon dog pile and somebody's half chewed gum is stuck in your left eye. Not even I can fight well under those conditions.

Still I was aquitting myself well when I was coolly ordered to stop if I valued the lives of my nephew and companions. I stopped. As I've already said I've got too few family members left to keep killing them. Perhaps, in my old age, I've finally figured out that blood really can be a binding tie. And besides...I think the others might actually be something I'd nearly forgotten what it was like to have. Friends.

So now, in my cold cell deep in the roots of Godspine Reach, I wait and I plot. Zalgum thinks he's stolen a march on me. I think not. If he'd only listen Feldin he'd realize the meaning of the term 'agony aunt'. I'm old, unhappy, and perfectly willing to put everything I've learned to the test. Let's just see how well our little whelp-King can stack up.
----------------------------------

26th of Kamti, Last Year of Zalgum the Green,

I know what he's planning...and I'm sickened. I never thought I'd see the day when one of my kind would make such a deal. I admit, I'm not much of one to talk, I've sought powers no other dragon has weilded. High Magic, Transy, even Artifice...but not this. I'd not sell my myself into slavery to weild power, I'll sign no contract I didn't draw up myself.

Zalgum, fool he is, came to my cell to make an 'entreaty'. He said if any dragon would understand I would. He made a pact with...something, there are things even I cannot make myself name. He steals the essence of dragons and gives it over in exchange for the power of those same dragons. He says I should understand and yet, like all whelps speaking to their elders, all I can see are the flaws and foolishness of his pact. When I said as much he was morose for a moment. Then promised he'd put my power to good use.

I've got to stop him...yet now, for the first time, I'm feeling my years. What a time twilight picked to manifest itself...
--------------------------------

27th of Kamti, 1st Year of Camwyre the Great,

I'd love to enjoy this moment...but I can't. My armor has mended...but the flesh beneith it has not. I'm old and that battle took everything I had...and some I did not. I don't know who, some sympathetic soul certainly, released Renault, Feldin, and the rest...but I couldn't have done it without them. How? Well lets just say it involved a tooth pick, a block of ice, a peach pit, a bannana peel, and teamwork.

I've given copies of my journal to the others, so that future generations might remember that dragons are people too, each with faults and flaws. I've chosen my heir, and can only hope Feldin doesn't make too much a mess of the job. Now all that's left is to slide quietly into the end of my life. But I don't think that's just for me. I've found an old spell...
------------------------

Afterward....

I, Sir Renault Dragonsfriend, pen this in rememberance of the dragoness Camwyre...my...friend. A friend whom we all shall miss, but shall never forget. She's seen to that. Now, when anyone looks to the peak of Godspine reach and the King's Perch atop it, they shall see her as she was in life. She's figured out some way to preserve herself against time...vain creature she was.

Still I've never had the pleasure of watching a greater warrior, I only wish she could have remained long enough to enjoy the changes her actions have wrought. There shall be no more dragons slain upon my watch...and no more villages pillaged that don't offer offense. Feldin has given his word.

To any who might read this volume I would like to ask you to commit one thing to memory. Camwyre had many triumphs but only one would have been important to her. She will always remain the richest dragon of them all...
-----------------------

Thanks for being here guys...hope you liked.

Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Such a sad ending, yet a very nice and fitting one.

Well done Rai. Another one under the belt! Very Happy Clapping Cheers
Author
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done. Very well indeed. Congrats Rai on another great story finished and done.
Author
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I loved the dragoness Camwyre - wish she could have gone on forever, but I suppose everyone's time must come. May she be remembered in the annals of history and the Hall of Fame!
Reply to topic       Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: