Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Host: New Poll as of 11/20
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of )
   Storygames Home -> -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Host: New Poll as of 11/20 Reply with quote

As most of my SG's are either sadly inactive or too long in the tooth to draw in fresh blood, I decided to try something a little more out of the ordinary for me. Hopefully this little experiment will work. Enjoy!
--------------------------

Host

Chapter One: An Unusual Invitation

Normally the routine doesn't vary much. The alarm goes off at six o'clock sharp every morning and is shortly thereafter slapped repeatedly until it ceases its incessant squalling. A few minutes thereafter, blankets are tossed back and the warmth and comfort of the bed is begrudgingly left behind. You're not much of one for mornings, or at least not of late. Not since the world went to hell and took you with it. But you do your best to keep up appearances.

A hot shower seems to put the life back into you, such a small but welcome luxury, as is the good soap that keeps your skin clean and your personal odor at bay. It never lasts long enough though, you get barely ten minutes before the spray turns to ice and forces you out of your steamy haven and onto the bathmat.

By six thirty you're dressed and enjoying, or trying to enjoy, what passes for your breakfast. There is still bread, but honey and jam are impossible to come by, as is real butter. There's still a good supply of margarine though and you make do with that on your toast. Eggs are also a bygone commodity and bacon...bacon exists only in your dreams now. However, you've got a treat this morning. A whole carton of orange juice was delivered yesterday and you're treating yourself to an ice cold glass. Funny how in the past you might have told yourself you despised orange juice or perhaps just never appreciated it, but now it's the most wonderful thing imaginable.

For a few moments you can almost believe it's a morning from back before it all started...then you make the mistake of picking up the paper nestled next to your breakfast tray. A NEW COLONY FOUND: Scientists rush to quarantine Three Rivers but authorities warn it may already be too late. More grim disaster. Every day more bad news. You think you should just cancel the subscription but with the internet so unreliable these days and the television spotty at best, radio and newsprint are the best sources of information.

As you shake the paper to fold it again, a little white slip of paper flutters free of the folds and falls to the floor. As you lean down and pick it up, you notice it's an envelope, sealed tight from prying eyes. Flipping it over, you scan the return address, wrinkling your nose at it. Hector Blumburg...that pompus ass. You've hated him for years and you have no idea why he'd be writing you. You're half tempted to just throw it in the bin with all the rest of the garbage, but curiosity gets the better of you. Tearing open the top, you are surprised to find a ticket folded up in the letter.

I realize that I'm the last person that you're likely wanting to hear from and I apologize but I must see you at once. Information has come to my possession that I know will be of the utmost importance to you. Enclosed with this letter is a ticket, your train leaves platform Eighteen at ten-forty and I encourage you to be on it.

Once again, please accept my apologies, I hope that this meeting will make amends for how I have wronged you in the past.

Sincerely,
Hector

P.S. Enjoy the orange juice.

For a moment you stare at the letter, then you stand and despite the strong desire not to, you pour the orange juice down the sink. That done, your eyes are drawn back to that ticket laying on the table next to your half eaten breakfast. If you're going to attempt to make the train, you need to leave within the next half hour. But Hector Blumburg...you'd rather lick gum off an irradiated sidewalk that see his face again. Still...why would he go through all this trouble just to see you again, he has to feel the same way. And he did lower himself enough to apologize...he never apologizes.

What are you going to do?
--------------------------------

Mystery, mystery everywhere and answers in short supply. While it seems obvious to take the train, Hector has wronged you horribly in the past. Might not the trip just lead to further horrors? I hope you liked.

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:18 pm; edited 20 times in total
Author
Syranore
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector sounds like trouble. Best to avoid him.
Author
Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where this is going Kai. Nice touch with the focus on the O.J.

So I think we go. If anything it gives us the opportunity to get access to more supplies and it looks like we need it.
Author
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Well... he did apologize. (Men don't exactly take being wrong too well so they lack the ability to apologize, MOST of the time.) But you realize if you don't take the train, he probably will come find you anyway if it's that important.

So just take the train.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Author
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rai

This is a great start here, and I envy your ability to write so fluidly in second person tense. It very often not only difficult to write, but also to read and become engrossed in, but that's not, and I'm guessing that it'll continue to not be the case here. There is also an impressive amount of description and information in the chapter, despite it being a rather short one. Very well done!

For your dp...I have to say, I'm suspicious of Mr Blumburg's methods. The letter itself sounds sincere enough, but at the same time, the impression that our lead charrie has of him is very much the opposite. Why would a person like that suddenly want to help you, when the impression that comes across is that he cares little more for you than a bug on the pavement, to be stepped over/on? Even the apology seems like an added suspicion to me, something to cause you to let your guard down. A true apology is hard to make whether male or female, but a false one with gain? That said, I'm also curious as to what Hector wants with you as well...

I'm going to say...you don't go.

Much enjoyed, Rai! Keep up the good work! Smile

Author
VenomousAngel
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say stick around, Hector may look innocent at this point.. But anyone can hide themselves behind a foolish charade and no one would be the wiser. Stick around, and watch your back.. Definitely what I would do.

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely fantastic! I've always wondered what it would be like to write in 2nd person, and you seem to pull it off so effortlessly. Needless to say I'll be following this one. Very Happy

From the little information I got in the first chapter, I seem to be sick of my mundane daily activities. Despite hating the guy, I'm way too curious to just let it drop. Besides, what do they say about two sides of a coin, and hate? I'll only end up thinking about this *all* day if I ignored it. Thus, I would get on the train, but I'll also be careful. Whatever it is that is *so* important that it forces a proud man to bend his knees and apologise, it can't be good.
Author
misterbiz
Horror Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the train, my curiosity is getting the better of me

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polling

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted!

Can't wait for the next installment!
Author
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted too!!!

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thus you continue. Enjoy.
----------------------

Chapter Two: A Strange Conversation

You lean against the counter top, thoughtfully chewing the last bite of your mostly cold breakfast, while a fierce internal battle rages. Then your curiosity defeats your principals and you clear the dishes from your table and deposit them in the sink. Plucking the ticket off the table as you pass it by, you attempt to rationalize your decision fully. You're on vacation so why not actually go somewhere instead of sitting in your apartment with only the paper to read and the daily confrontation between the Police and the Subdwellers to disturb the peace.

Hector's note did not say how long you'd be gone but it's easy to surmise it will be several days at least. The destination printed on your ticket is at least a full day away from here, more if anything goes wrong. Besides, you have only a single suitcase, there is no reason not to pack it fully. To be on the safe side, clothing for a week is carefully folded into it along with your travelling necessities and hygiene products. After a brief once over of your mental checklist, you pause long enough to pen a letter to the elderly neighbor lady next door, politely informing her that you'll likely miss your weekly game of checkers and to please water the potted plant in your window. Otherwise Mrs. Skims would likely organize a manhunt to find you...you half hope she will anyway if you're gone too long.

Suitcase in one hand, note in the other, with the ticket safely in your pocket, you're about to exit your apartment when the most curious sound fills the air. You have not heard it in so long that it takes you a few precious seconds to realize that your telephone is ringing. Both your eyebrows raise in surprise and you walk over toward it with a ponderous slowness. Your telephone hasn't worked in almost a year, not since a Subdweller attack took out two of the main towers and downed quite a bit of the lines in your area. The phone company assured you and others who lost service they'd be doing everything to restore function...but you'd nearly given up hope. Why was the dratted thing ringing now?

It stops before you can answer it, leaving you to puzzle for a moment more. Perhaps it was the phone company, calling to inform you service was restored? That just doesn't seem right though. They'd have sent a letter surely. You're about to turn your back on it when it begins ringing again and this time you're quick to pick it up, lips half parted to speak, but the voice on the other end cuts you off.

Don't speak, just listen. You've been invited to be the guest of one Hector Blumberg and I can see by the bag you've packed that you mean to accept that invitation. I'm calling to warn you you are in grave peril. There are others, just like you, that Hector has issued invitations to. People who know just a little too much about Hector and his dealings. People that Hector would likely breath easier if they simply...vanished. Don't speak! I represent an organization that would love to help...and would love your help. We've arranged for a present for you, yours to keep with no strings. Just a little something that may help you out in the future. However, we could be of so much more help to you...all we ask in return is that you help us by giving us information. You see, we can't get close to Hector, but thanks to his invitation you can. I have to go now, if you don't leave, you'll be late. You have until you receive your present to make your decision. Take care old friend.

The line goes dead, as if it never lived, and you're left holding the plastic of the phone in a hand clammy with the sweat of fear. Whoever that person was, they could see you. They knew that you'd packed your bag and that you'd been about to interrupt them. Still, their point is valid, you have to leave now. You dash out the door, locking it tightly, and leave the note for Mrs. Skims in her mailbox as you pass by it on your way out.

That voice, that caller, it's conundrum. On one hand you know it, you recognize it, the inflection of the words, the pitch...they called you old friend and in the pit of your stomach you've got the feeling they weren't kidding. But on the other hand you're just as equally certain that you've never in your life heard the gravelly, gritty tones that sound like the speaker is coughing up every one of them.

You glance around cautiously, aware that your conflicted thoughts are getting the better of your awareness and that's dangerous. A random Subdweller could easily catch you unawares and- "Hey you! Do you want the cab or not? I ain't got all day!" There's an irate cab driver leaning his head out the window of his vehicle and staring at you, drumming his fingers impatiently on the greasy wheel.

You walk up, about to inform him that there's a mistake, when you notice a package in the back seat that has your name stenciled on it in bright, bold letters. Quietly you open the door and slid inside, putting your battered suitcase on the seat beside you and taking up the gift. When you inquire to the cabby about how much the fair might be, he tersely responds that it's been paid and promises he'll get you to the station on time.

Which leaves just you and the package. Turning over the little tag attached, there's a small note written in familiar but bland hand writing. Enjoy your present. From: An Old Friend.

And like any kid during the holidays, you pick up the package and gently shake it, wondering what might be inside...wondering if you'll help these strange people or not...
--------------------------------

Alright, a double dp for you. It might even require two polls. Do you help this mysterious group of people, or is it just too shady to trust? And what is this 'present' they're giving you?

Hope you liked!

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Author
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: I Think. . . . . Reply with quote

This is shaping up quite well The short chapters make it a quick easy read, but the depth of each chapter gives it a strong feel. Our "Hero" seems to know a lot more then us, and I hope to be seeing more from him soon Razz I like the bit about the neighbor. Gives it a nice realistic and settling feel about it.

As for the DP. . . . . I'ma go with testing the waters on this one. Don't really comit to helping them, but don't turn then down flat either. It's good to know the players better before hopping into a game already in progress. As for the package. . . . . .Sore sort of super cool recorder. Y'know, the ones that can not only record sounds but can hear through walls, letting you listen in on convos in nearby rooms.

Well, those is me thoughts. Hope to see mroe soon, yays!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Author
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hooked; fish, line and sinker! Very Happy Great story, impeccable grammar... you make me feel illiterate. XD

For the box, I'm thinking of a subcutaneous bio-storage device. I.e., you could store up an item about the size of a mini-disk or a ring into the container and the device transfers it under your skin.

Smuggling info, anyone? Very Happy

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I really love this SG. Your command of the English language is impeccable, and the story you've conjured is absolutely riveting.

For the gift, the anonymous caller did say it's something for me to keep with no strings attached, so it must be something rather valuable that can be of personal use to myself, outside of my potential spying capacity. It also has to be something that will strongly convince me to help them out. I mean, why else would I help out or trust a bunch of strangers (well, except for Old Friend)? So, perhaps the gift comes with some important information about Hector which makes me hate him even more (conveniently pushing the case of "spy on Hector"), but is also quite valuable and useful for my personal activities. Perhaps, a mini-gadget with a reliable Internet connection usually only available for very important people...and backdoor access to some restricted information, most of which relating to Hector's unsavoury activities.

As for the decision on whether or not to help. Well. I believe the restricted information on Hector is going to have a large enough impact on me, that for the second time today, I'll throw caution to the wind and agree to help a bunch of strangers to take Hector down. I might regret that decision later, but at that time, it seemed like the right thing to do.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll goes up tomorrow, last chance to make suggestions.

Author
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just so wrong Rai, giving us a box and not opening it to tell us what's inside.. OPEN THE BOX! My curiosity is killing me. And then once we see what's inside, that might give us a clue as to what the crap is going on and we can make a decision whether or not to help these... people... on the phone.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first poll is up. I'll take verbal votes for if you'd like to help the 'mysterious' person or not.

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted. As for whether or not to help the group, well, I'm going to go with "mysterious author's option", if it exists for that one. Razz
Author
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with helping them. *nods* It would be boring to just bail out on this one, no? And going with someone who you detest is simply wrong... or is it? Very Happy I'd say yes but still be in-between, and if it really looks like our former arch-nemesis turned a new leaf then our guy may have a "wait a minute" moment, and join the right side. If that's impossible, just go with what happens. Life is grand. XD

(sorry for the rant, my My 2 Cents Smile )

Beyond Good and Evil
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little later on the release than I would have liked, but here goes nothing. Enjoy!
-----------------------------

Chapter Three: Unnerving Coincidences

You feel a little silly, sitting there with your ear next to the paper wrapped package, shaking it as gently as possible and with as much curiosity as any small child ever had. Setting the box in your lap, you carefully unwrap it, a slight paranoia creeping in to your actions. What if it's not a gift at all, what if this was all just some clever ploy of Hectors? You honestly don't think he has the kind of imagination or forethought to pull off something like this, he was never the brainy one in his family. Just the most ruthless as you know all too well. But once the ribbon is removed and the lid lifted, there are no explosions. Instead what you see sitting in the center of a tissue paper nest is something that was once quite ordinary.

It looks like an iPod but you know it isn't. You owned iPods and you can instantly spot the differences. For one it's heavier, built to be a little more durable. For a second when you put your thumb against the center button, there's a little flash of light and the words 'Biometric Imprint Confirmed' flash so swiftly across the screen you're not entirely certain that you read it correctly. It turns on, a nondescript grey background illuminating the icons of games you haven't played in years. A quick check of the music leaves you both fascinated and chilled. Your favorite songs, songs that you once expressed liking, music you haven't much heard in recent years...whoever programmed this knew your tastes exquisitely.

Whoever gave you this was legitimately an old friend. None of your newer ones would have known to put half of these on here. But so few of your older ones are left. As you examine the device you notice something peculiar...three curved lines. Internet. Oh. God. It can't be real. You open the browser as fast as you can and are greeted by an interesting homepage. But you'll read that later. You haven't had real internet in so long your hands are shaking and you're letting out uncontrollable little noises that no doubt have the cabby convinced you've been given something...naughty.

And in a way you have. You've got to be on government wavelengths here. There isn't any internet for civilians. Not like this. This stuff is lightning fast and, for all practical purposes, you are in the middle of nowhere. If there isn't even reliable phone service there isn't a chance of internet. It really is a dream come true, even if most sites are long shut down. There are a few you run across just by sheer accident, most of them all displaying the pre-Outbreak warnings. It brings back memories you'd rather not face just now and you shut it off, determined to figure out everything about it you can when you've got more time on your hands.

The cab jolts to a stop a few moments later and you hustle out of the back, the device tucked safely in your pocket, your suitcase held tightly in hand while one finger keeps a tenuous grip on the now empty present package. You thank the cabby politely but don't get more than three steps before he clears his throat. "You're forgetting a little something right?"

You turn a little quizzically, about to open your mouth and argue that he told you the fair was paid. He cuts you off however, jabbing a meaty finger at the direction of the empty present package. "There's a paper in there you're supposed to give me. I don't get the other half of my money if I don't bring back the paper. You rich folks and your sick jokes..."

You scrabble in the box and look for a piece of paper and eventually you do find one with two typed words on it. Yes on the right. No on the left. Instantly you realize what this is...your 'Old Friend' said you wouldn't have to choose to help the mysterious organization until after you got your gift. After purloining a pen from the cabby, who grumped about it, you write in your best block printing Maybe and circle it. Folding the paper crisply, you hand it back to the cabby with the pen and then make a mad dash for the platforms and the trains beyond.

You're almost late, checking the station clock as you pause to toss the present package into a nearby garbage can. Still, you do manage to make the train before it leaves, presenting your ticket. The conductor stares at it for a moment before inclining his head to you. "Right this way please, there's a special seat in the private car for you."

For some reason those words produce a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach and you shuffle along, hunching your shoulders as you proceed into a setting of luxury you're very much out of place in. Your clothes are nice, but compared to the cover of the seat that you sit on they're worn and shabby. The carpet looks like it could do better even. It's slightly embarrassing and you find yourself grateful that the people that would normally be sitting in such places are absent. You're not sure you'd be able to hold your temper for at least a day's worth of scoffing and scorn.

With a rattle and a jolt and a long whistle, the train leaves the station and you lean forward, eagerly gazing out of the polarized windows as the scenery starts to move. You haven't been more than three miles from your home in the past four years, not since the Degeneration began to speed up and things really started falling apart. That's when it just became too unsafe to venture out. Stray radiation, Subdwellers, and of course the ever possible threat of contact with them. You're not really afraid of them, you're far more afraid of what regular people would do to you if there was even a hint of suspicion around you. You'd seen horrors...you're grateful that so far you hadn't lived any of them.

There's a smile on your face three hours later when the train grinds to a halt at the next stop, pausing for a half hour to take on passengers. You're enjoying yourself. The rocking motion, the world outside the glass just flying by, the soft cushioned seat under you...the freedom of it all. You're really on vacation, at last!

But all that comes crashing down when the compartment door opens again and your new seatmate squeezes his enormous girth past the door. You recognize him instantly, by the smell first, then by the features on his startled face. You know your expression must be equally startled...but while his breaks into an oily smirk, yours hardens like coal under pressure, crystallizing into diamond hard hatred and scorn. You're slightly disappointed that Detective Parker's fat rolls haven't done the world a favor and smothered the heartless bastard in his sleep.

He laughs at you, reaching into his pocket for a cigar and before you can say 'No Smoking' the whole compartment is filled with noxious smoke that just makes you want to heave. No matter what he smokes, he always seems to pick the most disgusting variety of it to pollute the air around you with, an unenjoyable odor that just makes your head hurt. And you'd thought he couldn't possibly get anything more noxious than the cigarettes he'd been smoking last time. He laughs at you as you fan the smoke away from you.

"Well well well...look who it is. I wonder what the hell you're doing here? I can't imagine that Hector would suddenly want to see you. Yet here you are, in his private car, and I also can't imagine that you'd have attempted anything unlawful to be here. Which can only mean that Hector did invite you and that you actually accepted the invitation. I never thought I'd see the day."

You want to tell him it's not like that, that Hector apologized and said he had some information that you needed. But Detective Parker continues on after emptying another lungful of disgusting smoke into the air. "I can see why he apologized to me in his letter. Obviously it was because he'd invited you...not just because of change of venue. Ah well, the orange juice he sent made great screwdrivers. Just what I needed to forgive him. Oh, and did I mention it's Commissioner Parker now...just in case you thought I'd retired and you were off scott free. Oh no sir. Listen to me, you so much as sneeze wrong in Hector's direction and I'll throw your ass in a subway cell and let the Dwellers get you."

You're almost grateful for Parker's sudden relapse into the nasty, vicious little words you're used to him using. He'd sounded like he'd swallowed a dictionary at first...or maybe it was just all the hobnobbing in high circles that had caused him to pick up and start using a whole new vocabulary. Like he was a Duke or something. But there was something else he mentioned that really caught your interest. He said Hector had sent him an apology letter...and orange juice. Politely you inquire if the letter was typed, already half knowing the answer.

"Of course. What, did you expect Hector to write like poor assholes like you? God you're stupid."

You ask to see it, feigning disbelief, knowing that Parker was too much of an asshole to be able to resist rubbing it in your face if he had it on him...and too much of a narcissist to have left it behind. If he thought he was the only one to have gotten orange juice and a typed letter, he'd have brought it to lord over the others invited. And sure enough, he doesn't disappoint, pulling it out from inside his voluminous coat and shoving it in your face. You almost gag from the horrific scent mixture of noxious tobacco, obnoxious cologne, and disgusting obesity sweat that had seeped into the paper and clung to it still.

Nearly word for word the letter Hector had sent you was replicated. Parker's note opened with 'I must see you at once', and of course a different platform and time to make the train...but it was otherwise the exact same letter. As if he'd typed a batch and just added those lines in to ensure that you came.

Parker chortles as he tucks his precious letter back into his coat, sitting back into his seat and watching you. You slump down, dropping your chin to your palm, and stare resolutely out at the countryside. What on earth could it mean? Was it only a coincidence? Or was there a connection you were missing? There was only one thing to do. You needed to see someone else's letter.
-------------------------------------------------

Now, dear readers, it's up to you again. When will the opportunity to see another letter come. Will another person be escorted to the private car at another train stop...or will it not come until later when all the invitees are brought together? Only you know.
-------------------------------------

I'm sorry that this one is a little long, lots of ground to cover. The next will be nice and short. Hope you liked!

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing. This is a great read, and you continue to impress me with your ability.

I believe I will meet at least one other invitee in the train before I arrive at the final destination.
Author
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellente, good read as always! Very Happy

Hmm... Why not introduce someone we didn't expect, like a girl unknown to both Parker and us/me? I'm thinking of a young girl in a frilly dress, and who knows what plot mechanic she'd be.

Beyond Good and Evil
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look, a poll.

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to vote for Cy's suggestion. Can't wait for the next chapter. Very Happy
Author
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All caught up and voted. xD

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At long last, here it is. Enjoy!
------------------------

Chapter Four: Haunting Suspicions

You can't take it after a few moments. The combination of Parker's aromatically abusive cigar and you're burning desire to explore the car for other passengers drive you to take your battered suitcase down and move to a different compartment. You can't actually see into them without opening the doors but thankfully you've got an excuse for that. If anyone happens to ask why you're opening all the doors, you're obviously looking for the bathroom. Your excuse goes untried, however, as the third compartment door opens to reveal another passenger.

With a furtive glance behind you, you step in and sit down, loading your suitcase in the rack above while the young woman on the opposite seat stares at you, one sculpted eyebrow raised. "Um, excuse me, but what do you think you're doing? Are you lost?"

Sitting down you smile somewhat apologetically and tell her that you'd had to vacate your previous compartment due to a disagreement with it's other occupant's brand of tobacco products. By the way she wrinkles her nose you can tell that she's either disapproving of your state of fashion or smelling the second-hand stench of Parker's cigars for herself. Before she can say something else you turn toward the glass of the window, smiling and remarking on how excited you are to be taking this trip, explaining that you don't get to travel often so when Hector offered you the opportunity, you couldn't say no.

"Ah, that explains it. Strange though, you don't look a thing like one of Hector's usual associates. Then again, neither do I. But I'm not, I mean, my parents were, but I'm not in the least." She seems quick to make that point very clear to you and you catch her suspiciously gauging your reaction out of the corner of your eye. Politely you respond that you're not really his associate either, that you haven't really spoken to him in years. You give your name, asking hers politely in return, hoping to break the ice further.

"Maria, Maria Sterling." She seems slightly surprised you didn't recognize her and now that she's given you her name you're slightly surprised you didn't recognize her. Sterling Labs is one of the last big research companies left. There was a large segment in the paper a few months back about how it's director, Edmont Sterling, and his wife were killed in a car accident.

You explain to her that you only read the papers and listen to the radio, tv being as unreliable as it is in your area, and offer condolences about the accident. Strangely, she only seems to get angry as you do so. The set of her mouth tightens, lips compressing into a thin line, a hard look entering her eyes. "Yes, accident. Tragic really. Luckily here comes Hector to save me. Like I really need a guardian, it's just the estate he wants, the Lab."

You blink slightly in surprise. Shouldn't she have more tact than this? Or is it just a rouse to draw you out? Is she testing you, a spy for Hector? You play it neutral, commenting about how important the Lab research must be. After a few moments you inquire why, if he's her new guardian, Hector didn't come escort her himself.

"Oh he's obviously too busy." Her voice is heavy with scorn and she crosses her legs, the pink chiffon layers of her almost ballerina-like long skirt shuffling. "No, he chose to notify me by letter. Does that strike you as responsible? Then he tries to bribe me with orange juice...humph. Who tries to bribe someone with orange juice? Isn't that what chocolate and jewelry are for? That's what dad always got mom when she was angry at him. Not orange juice."

You comment on how expensive a gift that is, almost as expensive as chocolate and far more expensive than some pieces of jewelry. And a note, it's not easy to send a note. Not reliably. Mail carriers vanish every day.

"Look, you might be impressed by the novelty of it all. Typed notes and orange juice, but for me it's normal. I get phone calls every day. My father owned a cell phone. I realize that's nothing short of magic for people like you but if you're working for Hector you should be used to money and how it works."

As you observe the scenery out the window your estimation, and respect, for this girl drop severely. She's talking to you like the help, which might not be a bad thing, but it still rubs you the wrong way. Still, it's rather easy to take advantage of her attitude and one simple offhand comment has her digging through the large leather bag on the seat next to her for her letter. She shoves it under your nose, waiting for you to take it before rifling through the purse again, pulling out a stick of gum and chewing it.

Sure enough the letter is almost identical. Hers offers condolences for the death of her parents instead of apologizing for having wronged her...just like Parker's had apologized for 'inconvenience'. But there was still the 'I must see you at once' the part about important information and of course her platform and departure time, earlier to your own. You can now safely conclude that Hector typed the bulk of these letters together and then did a few key edits on each. You also are certain he sent everyone orange juice.

The question is how many of these letters are there? Your 'old friend' said there were others and you can now count three of you letter bearers...but are you there of five, fifteen, or five-hundred. With no way of knowing you apologize to Maria and hand her letter back before expeditiously exiting the compartment. Going down another couple doors, you open another and slip inside.

You're totally alone, just you, your suitcase, and your 'iPod' for company. But your brain is turning over the facts, what little you know. Everyone got a letter, everyone got orange juice. Why? You know you can't solve the puzzle without more pieces but that doesn't mean your brain will let it rest. In an attempt to distract yourself, you pull out the iPod again and stare at it.

The three little bars are there, you've still got an internet signal. You could browse the internet. Of course anyone who walked in might catch you doing so. Or your could listen to music. The devices are rare and expensive but you could always just explain it as something you've had for a long time. After all, unless they get a good look at it how would they know? The fresh new cables and adapter are tucked safely in your pocket, no clues there.

If you do choose to risk it and look at the internet...what will you look for? You've got plenty of train ride ahead, but draining the battery would mean plugging the device in...with it's obviously new cables. So can't just get lost surfing, you need to have a goal in mind. Staring at your reflection in the shine of the glass of the darkened screen, you ponder your options.
----------------------------------------

What do you do? Log on, not? If you log on what are you looking for?

This is our last chapter on the train folks. After all, no matter what information the internet might or might not yield, depending on your choices, you've still got to sleep. And the train reaches its destination tomorrow. Hope you liked!

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I've been waiting for a new chapter of this. Very Happy

I'm going to do a general search on Hector, to find out if there are any recent events with him that can give us any clues. After that, I'll also look into Sterling, her lab, and the accident with any time I have left.
Author
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my...could it be...it is! A second person narrative! These are some of my favorite types of stories, but since they are so hard to write (I don't have the knack for it, myself) and difficult to get the reader engaged, they are few and far between. This one, however, is fantastic! I was immediately immersed in the story. A job very, very well done, Kalanna!

I'm going to agree with sagittaeri and say we (or I guess it would be I, wouldn't it?) get on the "iPod" and do a search on Hector - anything about him, his current activity, etc. - and then use my remaining time/power to search Sterling/the lab/the accident and maybe even Commissioner Parker to see what he's been up to. Data, data, data. It's my best, and most reliable, friend at this point.

Speaking of friends, I do wonder when I will hear from my "Old Friend" again... Wink

Again, wonderfully done! Can't wait for more!
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did something a little different with the poll this time since you both wanted the same search topics. It's up to you if you'll have battery power to research topics other than Hector.

Remember though, the longer you're on it the bigger a chance of discovery of your precious device.

Author
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm...rethinking...

All the information in the world is worthless if I'm caught getting it and unable to use it. Some good old fashioned detective work once we get to Hector's (maybe he has files on Sterling/Parker) might prove just as helpful as looking on the internet. Plus saving battery power for an emergency of some sort seems like a bright idea. But I am so damn curious...

Alright, voted!
Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted. Somehow I already knew that we can't search for both topics without some consequence. Razz
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as we move into the holidays here's an early gift for you. Enjoy!
-------------------------------

Chapter Five: Your Charming Host

Angling your body so that if anyone did walk in you'd have a few precious seconds to hide the device in a pocket, you glance around furtively one last time. If there are any cameras in these compartments you're out of luck secrecy wise anyway but as you did not find any after a good period of casual rubber-necking you're going to chance it. Flicking a thumb you power on the device and allow yourself a moment of giddy excitement that it still works before getting a firm grip on yourself. You're not here to play games, you're here to see what Hector has been up to.

The internet is not the same creature you remember it being. Due to it's unpredictable nature many of the sites have simply stopped working. Servers have been ruined or lost to the ravages of Subdwellers and Them. You find a few sites that are simply blinking warnings about Them, listing off noted red zones and signs that they might be around. The listings are years out of date.

It's hard to find anything really. Search engines are ponderous things. You find yourself wishing for the straightforward nature of the local library before long, cursing and swearing under your breath. Usually you keep coming back to that website that you started browsing from. The default home website. It looks like some kind of group, you almost thought political in nature except they don't seem to be talking politics at all, it was just a first glance impression. Their site has a little search box at the top of the page and, out of frustration, you type in Hector's name.

Jackpot.

There are more files than you can read in a couple of hours, more files than you can read in a week really, all of them neatly organized and listed out. The page has several long lines with virtually everything you can think of listed out. There's a biography section with a few folders under it. Overview, Early Years, Pre-Incident, Post-Incident, Recent. There's also one about his business Trekdyne Industries. You bristle a little bit at that. It used to belong to his brother Victor. You'll never forgive Hector for what he did to Victor...or for him almost pinning the death on you.

There's a listing under the Trekdyne heading as well that includes Sterling Labs among the names. The lab isn't your focus though. It's Hector himself. You sit for a few moments trying to decide which file to open before going under biography and clicking the Overview link. You figure you know enough about his early history that you'll be able to see if this is a website that tells the facts or if it's a flunky website that says what Hector wants people to know.

His birthday is correct, height and surprisingly it's got his weight listed. You allow yourself an incredulous moment. How on earth did they get his weight unless he told them? They lose a small point of credibility in your book until you see 'estimated' in small print under the figure. His picture certainly does make it seem as if he hasn't made any attempt at keeping in a shape other than rotund. And that's putting it mildly. The man hasn't just been living off the fat of the land...he is the fat of the land.

You know people who are starving and the porcine face of your longtime foe makes you grip the device hard enough that it makes an alarming creaking noise and you relax your grip. No reason to break your only tool because of personal emotion. Taking a deep breath you resume reading.

Born to an affluent family Pre-Incident, younger brother to Victor Blumberg. Both correct. You note with some interest that Victor's name is a hyper-link. They have files on him too, that's interesting.

Average scores in school, barely made it into college, took over Trekdyne after his brother died under mysterious circumstances. That's in a hyper-link too and you resist the urge to click it. You know all about the 'mysterious circumstances' surrounding Victor's death. Hector murdered him then covered it up and threatened to pin it on you if you ever talked.

It wasn't long after Hector assumed command of Trekdyne that the Incident happened and Trekdyne became a forerunner in the war against the problem. You know about that too but you don't dare even think about it. As if something somewhere will read your thoughts and come for you. Some things are best left forgotten.

Backing out of the overview you glance at the clock before clicking the 'Recent' section of Hector's biography, browsing over it quickly in the few minutes you've got left. You're not worried, you figure you'll leave the device on this page so you can continue reading it later if you're interrupted.

It's mostly fluff. Who he's been seen dating, a string of no account actresses and radio personalities. Who he's been hobnobbing with, upper crust and upper level dignitaries, personalities, and politicos. Hector's got his fingers in a lot of pies it seems, no doubt swinging lucrative contracts his way. He's living the high life and you find it both wasteful and boring, classic Hector. There is a paragraph that burns itself into your brain though.

In the past six months Hector Blumberg has been under increasing pressure to provide a solution, something he and Techdyne have been promising for years now. The Sterling Labs tragedy and loss of the Sterling family is the latest in a long line of set backs that Hector can point to, wringing his hands, and blame the lack of progress on.

There's two hyper-links there. One for Sterling Labs, the other for set backs. You click the second for a moment and are confronted with a list that takes you five minutes to scroll. There have been a lot of 'set backs' when it comes to making actual progress on a solution. Shaking your head you quickly hop back to the biography page as the car gives a jerk, beginning to slow. The light outside the window is gone and you wonder how long you've been reading in the dark.

You've just managed to hide the device, it's battery power still surprisingly fresh, as the Conductor comes back and knocks on doors. Standing, brushing the wrinkles out of your clothes, you get your bag down and make your way along the lighted carpet toward the door. Ahead of you you can make out the forms Parker and Maria Sterling, each with only their small carry on. You've no doubt they have more luggage being offloaded elsewhere but you have only your one suitcase.

Neither of them looks at you as you finally step off onto a private indoor platform. Your eyes glance around briefly, getting the impression of over the top lavishness in construction and decoration, before a voice you never wanted to hear again echos in the air. "Ah so you came after all. I admit, I had my reservations about you. Welcome."

Standing a few feet away from you, his multi-thousand dollar suit straining to hold in his over abundance of corpulent flesh, is Hector Blumberg. His dark hair is slicked back, almost as if it's been lacquered to his skull, his square white teeth only emphasizing the pig-like nature of his overly fat face. Tiny black eyes glitter at you as he gestures expansively, some emotion that might be triumph glinting in them as he looks you over.

Your first instinct is to punch him in the gut. It's not like you'll miss a target that size. But considering you're in the middle of his power-base it would be an unwise move. However, it's rather clear that Hector is expecting some kind of response from you.
-----------------------------------------

What is that response?

At last we meet the villain of the piece. Hector is the incarnation of a slime ball billionaire and unfortunately your few minutes on the train have not given you all the information you'd have liked, only more questions. Still I hope you liked.

Author
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another brilliant chapter, Kalanna!

I like the little bit of insight into my relationship with Hector, and his relationship with Sterling (even if there was no time to research the lab itself). I am eager to learn of these 'set backs.' Hopefully there will be time for a quick peek once I am escorted to my room (I would assume I have my own room, anyway) or at a point where I am left to my own devices (maybe to explore the mansion or facility or something). I also have a feeling a very awkward dinner party is in my future. Wink

My first instinct is to reply to Hector with a simple "Sod off, dirtbag!" XD But, no, I think something with the hostility a little more camouflaged is in order. Maybe a too-sweet reply that is dripping with sarcasm...?

"Hector, good to see you! The orange juice was so delightful that I just had to come thank you in person."

Haha, okay that was pretty lame. I do think that the response should somehow goad Hector, though. Perhaps a seemingly careless mention of Victor? And the fact that Hector might finally be running the company into the ground with all these 'set backs' (not that I know what they are, but I can always pretend)?

Or I could just glare nastily and begin to speak, when a pompous Parker interrupts me, and I must keep my murderous thoughts to myself.

Oh the possibilities!
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other suggestions?

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bump, I can't believe I missed this chapter! Very Happy It's awesome, as usual, Rai. I love the way you dropped just enough hints about the nature of his history with Hector. And man, Hector is one nasty, grubby slob.

It's important to keep our options open until we know more, so it's best to at least be somewhat cordial in the response. However, given the unsavoury history we had with Hector, I don't trust ourselves to behave around him, yet, especially not when discussing history. We'll just have to change the topic into something else we also care about --- like why we're here.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to my recent computer crash all of my notes for this story are unavailable. That means until I can either reconstitute the plot from memory or extract them from the machine Host is taking a break.

I promise I'll have it back up and running soon as possible. PM me if you'd like me to PM you a notification when it is.

Author
Hunteee
Visitor

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great start here, and I envy your ability to write so fluidly in second person tense. It very often not only difficult to write, but also to read and become engrossed in, but that's not, and I'm guessing that it'll continue to not be the case here
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to IF Hunteee and thank you for the compliment. Hopefully I can continue to keep the quality in Host when the story resumes in the coming weeks.

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we're polling again folks!

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted, and very happy that this is back! Very Happy
Author
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! *does the happy dance* Very excited this is back! Voted. Very Happy
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go folks, a little something for those who have been waiting. Enjoy!
--------------------------

Chapter Six: A Disturbing Occurrence

You take a few deep breaths to maintain that outward look of calm enjoyment, after all, you're here out of curiosity and perhaps some slight boredom. You're not here to verbally eviscerate Hector...yet. You cannot resist a slight jab however, putting on your brightest smile and extending your hand with as much fake sincerity as you can muster. "Hector, of course I came. How could I not after such an...expansive...gesture on your part."

His hand is damp, clammy, and feels a lot like a pudding filled sponge. His grip is limp and ineffective as you shake the appendage and you're left fighting the urge to vigorously wipe your hand on your pant leg when he lets go. You can tell the insult in your comment flew right over his head, his small porcine eyes glitter with a cold triumph. He loves seeing you humbled and it's rather obvious he thinks that time and his ever present threats have pulled whatever teeth you might have once had. You'd love to just do something violent to him right now and the amount of red-eyed hate boiling inside you is absolutely shocking. It's just not like you. Then again, you should have known that your reaction wouldn't be good. Even after all these years, you're almost willing to risk the jail time to wipe that smug and self-satisfied look off of his face completely.

His attention has wavered from you, good thing as your mask of chipper awe is starting to fracture from the internal stress of your hate. He's heartily greeting Parker with more clam-fisted handshakes and some back slapping which makes the odd sound of hitting two steaks together. It's rather obvious that neither of those two men know the meaning of the word moderation. Or starvation. And certainly not emaciation. In fact there are a few other 'ation' words you're quite certain are no longer in their vocabulary but you're just being unkind at this point. You knew what you were getting into when you accepted the invite and now that perverse curiosity that led you to whimsically accept has all but deserted you, replace by a grimmer sort of sensation. Suspicion. You're becoming more and more certain by the moment that something is happening here. Like your mysterious 'old friend' on the phone said Hector seems to have invited several loose ends to a party and you're one of them.

But you seriously doubt he's planning to kill you. You've seen how Hector kills. You know his method. Accident. And with the kind of money he has he wouldn't have even needed to try hard to arrange a 'tragedy' in your life. Or hell just put you in prison like he's been threatening to do for years. You wouldn't survive, not with what prison is like these days. If you're lucky they'd just toss you out as Subdweller bait instead.

A shrill whistle brings your attention out of whatever point of space you've been staring at for the past few moments while your brain has run circles like a nearsighted hamster. Skittish servants have come and loaded themselves down with baggage at Hector's cue, there's even a nervous looking young man who hesitantly approaches you and eyes your bag. Politely you decline. You can carry one suitcase after all. It's not going to kill you and you'd just feel...guilty accepting help when you could so easily do it yourself.

Hector is talking at the three of you, clearly enjoying having a captive audience, as he leads you from the opulent private train platform further into the house. Lavish corridors dripping splendor from the crown molding along the ceiling to the extra plush carpet on the floor do nothing to make you feel less out of place. A scrawny pelican among swans. You pass a few doors, most of which have small 'Do Not Disturb' plaques hanging from the door handles, and he quiets slightly. "Don't want to disturb my other guests."

As if. Hector's not shy about disturbing anyone. However, right now he seems to be doing everything he can to convince folks that he's sincere about their comfort and well being. Every action, every kind word...it's just making you more and more suspicious. You count the doors in the hall as you pass, trying to figure out just how many other people Hector might have duped into coming. By the time the four of you, and assorted baggage laden servants, stop at a door without a plaque, you're up to seven.

This room, it turns out, is for Parker. The portly man grins as the door is opened to reveal a lush chamber decorated in the same over the top style as the rest of the house you've seen so far. Although calling it a house is a lot like calling a luxury cruise liner a dingy, this place is massive from what you can estimate. Of course Hector needs the space, just a glance at his mile wide rump is enough to confirm that.

Once Parker is settled it's only a couple of minutes before young Miss Sterling is placed in the next empty room. She gives it an arch look, attempting to look bored, but you've had enough experience with faking emotions to know that she's actually rather pleased by what she's seeing. Possibly impressed. Your respect for her and her intelligence plummets even further than it did after her rude treatment of you on the train. Still, the moment the door shuts and you're left alone with Hector...you wish you were back on that train and that she was the worst thing you were dealing with.

He's silent with you and you're completely happy with that. He also seems a little tense...nervous even. The door he opens for you is much less lavish than the others, directly at the end of the hall. One glance inside and you're fairly certain that this is nothing more than a hastily redecorated linen closet. It's nice, a lot nicer than your apartment actually, but compared to the rooms you saw the others given this is almost a slap in the face. Hector's smiling, obviously thinking that you'll be dazzled no matter what and you dutifully give him the reaction he was hoping for. Hector's all about the petty victories, always has been.

"Dinner is at six tonight. It's informal, don't feel the need to dress or anything. I'll send someone at five-fourty to remind you and guide you down to the table."

That oily smugness in his voice...he could have said anything, even the most pleasant of things, and you'd still have hated him. As it was, his snide little comment about 'dressing for dinner' does not go unnoticed. Same old Hector, just rubbing your nose in it...seriously why had you ever thought this was a good idea. At least you're not alone, it seems nine other people have been suckered into this too. Although you doubt any of them hate Hector with the same passion you do. Maybe one of them might but you're not counting on finding an ally that way.

You manage not to slam the door in his face. You even manage to still have a smile on your face when you gently shut the door on him. Your cheeks hurt and you're debating using staples to keep it in place next time. This is probably why you never felt the urge to be a politician.

You slowly unpack, taking a little care to hide your iPod gizmo. You know that this room is bugged, sound and camera. There is no possible way on the ruined face of this planet that Hector is not monitoring your every slight action. You don't care really, let him watch. Still, the urge to pull out the iGizmo is strong. Especially when it begins ringing in your pocket. A few quaint bars of an old favorite tune. You blink in wonder, hands shaking a little.

It cannot be a phone. Cannot possibly be a phone. There are no cellphones these days. There just isn't tower support for them...although internet calling...or satellites. No, it's far more likely this is an alarm of some kind. A jingly jangly vibrating alarm that sounds and feels an awful lot like your cellphone used to. You want to pull it out of your pocket, you really do. But Hector will know for sure...won't he?
--------------------------------------

What will you do? Do you give in to temptation and look at the gizmo to see why it's making noise? Is it a phone, is it an alert? What is going on?
-----------------------------

There you go, a neat little decision to make and hopefully a little furthering of the story. Hope you liked.

Author
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Kalanna! Even after a short hiatus, this story is still great!

I want to look at the iPod! Well, it's more of a need, but with Hector invariably watching it will be tricky. My first instinct is to go to the bathroom, however something tells me that he will even have that room monitored. *shudders* So I'll just pretend to be a little sleepy from the train ride, snuggle up under the covers, and see what that alarm is all about!

Keep it up! Very Happy
Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Oh man, Rai, you're one awesome writer! Very Happy

We have to answer the "call"...but only with the right precautions. Go to the bathroom, run the tap on the bathtub to drown out the sound, take out the gadget but hide it in the corner of our body and the wall. Avoid the mirror because that's probably where the camera will be, if it's bugged.

If possible, find some reading material and pretend to read it while waiting for the bathtub to fill, while actually using the device.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there appears to be a new poll. Folks should vote so that there can be a new chapter.

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I've been waiting for this one... Very Happy Voted!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with the tie finally broken we can get back to business. Enjoy!
------------------------------

Chapter Seven: A Perplexing Conversation

You stretch, fake a yawn and that surprisingly doesn't take a lot of effort. You've had a hectic day so far. Kicking your shoes off, you dive into the bed. The ringing noise has stopped briefly and you get yourself perfectly situated, all wrapped up and snuggled in, before you pull it out. Good thing too, the thing begins to jiggle in your hands and you fumble with it quickly before it starts actually making noise. You stare at the word 'Connected' for a minute before slowly putting it to your ear.

A dry chuckle follows. "For a few moments I wondered if you'd forgotten how to use one of these old friend. It wouldn't surprise me, so many people are forgetting things these days. Like how to secure their camera feeds. You're a very convincing lump of blankets, I can't see any glow from the device at all. Now do me a favor, work one of your feet out from under the blankets. You're face down right? So we're going to go with twitching your foot right for yes and left for no. Got it?"

The voice of your 'old friend' isn't giving you many clues to their identity. Though the sound quality is crisper on this phone they sound a little raspier than anyone you know, it's just not familiar at all. But you dutifully twitch your foot to the right to signify that you understood them. You find it creepy that they're watching you, using Hector's cameras. Honestly you're still wondering more and more if this isn't some kind of huge set-up Hector is planning but honestly...it's too smart for him.

"You caused quite a stir with my associates when you wrote that 'Maybe' response. I told them you'd be cautious. You wouldn't still be alive if you weren't. At the moment though there are precious few of them willing to go on my word alone. So I'm going to ask you to do one very simple thing for us, just to get them off my back and prove that you're not the risk they're sure you are. You with me so far?"

You twitch your foot to the right again, as if trying to get comfortable. You'll at least hear him out after all. There's a little mumbling from your phone as it picks up voices in the background, your old friend is talking to someone. Someone soft voiced but you're sure it's female, almost positive. Either that or it's a teenaged male. The exchange lasts only a few moments before your old friend clears his throat and speaks to you again.

"We know that Hector has invited several people to this impromptu dinner party. At first we thought it was just him gathering his minions for another round of ass kissing and back slapping, pardon my language. However, that all changed when contacted several other members of the guest list, including you as the very last invitation. Honestly you were the straw that broke the camel's back, confirming our suspicions. There are very people who know how deep Hector's corruption runs, who know enough of a truth to fill in the blanks...and they're all about to sit down to dinner with him in a couple hours. You understand what I'm saying?"

Slightly anxiously you shift in the bed before twitching your foot back to the right again. You were coming to that conclusion yourself after talking to Parker and young Miss Sterling. Something was happening in the life of Hector Blumberg and it involved burying the rotting corpses of his past even deeper.

"So I understand if you really really do not want to help. If you think this is all a complex plot of Hector's...which you and I both know is unrealistic. He's not this involved or detail oriented. But I do understand, my associates are the ones that don't. So what they'd like you to do is quite simple. They want you to record the dinner conversation. All you have to do is turn the sensitivity on the microphone to max and hit record, it should pick up most of the sound in the room from a hip pocket just fine. Most likely all we're going to hear is Hector stroking his ego at all of your expense but there's the slight chance he might drop a hint about what is going on in his head. So...can you do this?"
------------------------------------

The decision is straight forward here folks. Will you record the conversation in hopes of sharing it with others and getting a little more information about what's going on...or is the risk of exposing the device and being discovered too great to take? The choice is yours.

I know you've all been waiting a long time for this but hopefully it was worth it. Hope you liked.

Author
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is this "old friend"?! Haha, great job as usual, Rai! I really enjoy the short and sweet mystery of this SG, which is a nice change of pace from the others (which are also excellent, just different).

So, Hector's motivation is said to be...cover up his past crimes. It certainly is plausible, and probably true, but I'll still be cautious, in case there's more to the story after all. Now that I think about it, if Hector is as incapable of complex plots as everyone seem to think, then how exactly did he become so powerful, beating all the other power-hungry sociopaths who were capable of complex plots?

Is it possible Hector's smarter than everyone thinks, but hides his true nature so his enemies would underestimate him? Or, is it possible he's only a puppet, controlled by someone else? Or...perhaps nothing more complex is going on beneath after all, and he got his current power by sheer luck or by inheriting them?

Either way, I still won't trust either Hector or my "old friend". I'll do the recording, but first, I'll figure out if there's a way to hide the device on my body better. Perhaps, the device is small and flat enough to fit between my shoe and my feet somehow without causing great discomfort or create a gait?

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, if any of you out there have been holding comments on this one, now is the time to cough them up. Otherwise I might have to move Host over to linear to get finished and where's the fun in that?

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. It's been a long time. I've put up a poll to see if anyone is interested in finishing Host out as an SG. If there's enough interested, well and good, toss a vote and reply with a chapter suggestion when you've got a free moment. If there's not enough interest to continue it as an SG I will likely have it sent over to linear where I can finish out the tale and wrap up the loose ends.

Happy reading!

Author
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, Rai, and welcome back!

Forgive me for being gone so long that I haven't commented until now, but I'd definitely love to see this story keep going along the lines of an SG (linear would be good too, but as you said before, where's the fun in that?).

So at this point I trust this "old friend" about as much as I do Hector, but they did give me the iPod in the first place and don't seem to be trying to do me in...at the moment anyway. Still, getting the recording is definitely the way to go, not only to assure this mysterious person (and his equally mysterious cohorts) that I can be trusted, but also for myself. A little bit of audio blackmail can go a long way. I would stuff it down my shirt, maybe I have a garment with an inside pocket or its thin enough to tape down somewhere inconspicuous? The closer it is to the level of the voices, the better the recording will invariably be.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Host still lives. I'll give it another week to gather suggestions before I open a poll for them.

Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys, interest in keeping this going was expressed. Here's the first poll for a shiny new chapter.

What will you do?
Make the recording.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It's too risky, don't do it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
:

Reply to topic       Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next