Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IQ Issue 14. 30Oct.7 Special Green Issue!

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: IQ Issue 14. 30Oct.7 Special Green Issue! Reply with quote

Issue.14 30Nov2007 Price: 0Fables. Special Green Edition!

In With The Green!

IF has a new Mayor! After a whole year under the yoke of that Orange tyrant, the City is now going green!

That’s right, after a hard fought race, CrunchyFrog has been sworn in as Mayor of IF. The IQ would like to welcome our new leader, and wish her a happy and prosperous stay at the Mayoral Mansion.

The IQ interviewed Chinaren as he left the official residence, carrying a large sack which he assured us only contained personal belongings, and in no way had all the ashtrays or the contents of the drinks cabinet inside.

Asked about the change of power, Chinaren had this to say:

I wish CF a happy stay in office. I’m sure she will do an excellent job, and keep the city running smoothly.

Asked about his plans for the future, Chinaren responded with:

I’m pretty busy just at the moment, but you’ll not get rid of me that easily! Now get the <expletive> out of the way before they come looking for the ashtrays.

The new Mayor also issued a statement to the press:

I would just like to take this opportunity to congratulate Nene on her campaign. It takes some resourcefulness to run so successfully whilst away from home! During this election she has proved how dedicated she is to IF. Her dedication is reflected in the amount of support she has. Well done Nene!

Also thank you to Chinaren for guiding IF through the last year and keeping it in such good order. He will be a hard act to follow.

As mayor I will do my utmost to ensure that IF continues to run as smoothly as it has been, and hopefully make the transition as seamless as possible.

The Legend Returns!

An old face returned to the city recently after a long absence. Smee, venerable citizen and famed Fantasy Mod was once more seen stalking the city streets late at night.

Not content with simply coming back, Smee has also started a new SGame, which can currently be seen in the New SGames district, though the IQ is sure it will be moved to Fantasy fairly shortly.

In totally unrelated news, reports are coming in that the working girls in the Muaddib district have been reporting record sales.

Nevers’ Lubs!

By NeverNeverGirl

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi by lordofthenight - High Lord Chancellor

It is almost the 2nd birthday of one of the oldest still running StoryGames on IF. Spanning two years Fronte marks the passage of growth that the author has journeyed. But let it be known now that November 21 is not only the day that marks this IFian anniversary, it is also the birthday of the author himself! A loud and resounding Happy Birthday to our High Lord Chancellor – I have it on good authority preparations are well under way by your minions for the party to come!

Having been initially off put by the name, which had me expecting an over long, dry and onerous tale, despite all assertions of denial by the author; on hearing of this landmark anniversary approaching it seemed the ideal time to jump on the bandwagon! What better story to mark the first of my official review for the IFquirer then one which is making its own mark.

Swallowing my hesitancy I plunged in, starting first with the synopsis which does not do the story any justice at all (in fact if you are going to pick up this tale I suggest you skip it!) and moving then into the chapters.

The difference in quality from the first to last chapters speaks volumes about the growth of Lordy. A halting hesitant story that relies too much on the imagination to fill in the gap quickly grows into a plot with an enormous amount of potential. While my first gut reaction was that this was a plot moving too fast and was a train about to derail, the author hit his stride and the tale unfolds beautifully into an intriguing story set in a beguiling world.

Ulliana is the heroine of Fronte, a half lion half elf warrior whose mystical sword is sought after by royalty and demons alike. It is while in jail after one such encounter, that she meets the first of her companions, enter Kagemusho, the Hoedor sent to be her guardian, a blind monk with a mystical symbol branded on his palm.

Together they seek out the royal palace, where a chance encounter with the younger brother of the corrupt Crown Prince leads them to the path they must take. On to the city of Myst and the answers to Ulliana’s questions!

Outside of their next place of refuge they are attacked by the Gaast-Zecult, the Wraith like beings who once inhabited the land, and fighting gallantly for their lives Kagemusho is dealt a near fatal blow. It is only through the timely intervention of Zanthe, Mage of an unknown order, that they are rescued and delivered into the safety of the warriors lodge in Danzig.

While Kagemusho lies fighting for his life Ulliana sets off on a quest to save him, failing to attain the artefact of power that will imbue him with life she instead gains a little more knowledge about her sword. Turning her sights towards the mysterious Auclid root, Ulliana ventures forth into the wilderness where she encounters a merchant’s caravan under attack by the Vaulkir, the beastmen.

Coming to their aide she is introduced to Enthral the Golden, a Sic’lian who swears her a life debt. All to soon Enthral’s life is ended, and in what I felt to be one of the most disappointing parts of the story, he is lost too the development of what his character may have become. Here I truly felt there was a character the likes of whom is rarely seen, with hidden depths and endless possibilities but as with the fickle way of SG’s he was removed all too soon.

Now we are reaching a period of almost 18 months, with each chapter taking at times up to three to four months to be posted, reader numbers fluctuating in the extremes and still the continuing growth of the writer. In a coup d’etat of story telling we meet K’zon, a demon with a vendetta.

I could espouse forever about chapter 18 and the style change that I believe marks the golden era of lordofthenights writing. Yet I shall put it as simply and eloquently as possible – If you read nothing else in Fronte after this review, read chapter 18 and you will thank me for it. Plus you will probably read more after that!

If I am going to complain about anything, other than the story being littered with minor spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, it would be the DPs suggested by readers that do not allow the writer an action which accurately reflects the reality of Ulliana’s nature.

I weight with bated breath for the next chapter to be released and for whatever it is Lordy has planned on its auspicious anniversary November 21.

I rate A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi by lordofthenight
Love Love Love Love
and found I was not between a precipice and wolves despite my initial prejudices!

Roundup.

Latest!

SGotM!

It’s another tight run competition this month, with Rai’s Galleon’s of the Stars fighting with Zephyr’s Daydreamer story.

Top Favorites!

Chianren’s Tired of Death remains at number one with 25 Faves,.

Avarice, with 13 faves, up one from last month, is equal second with our new Mayor’s SGame, Magician’s Touch.

Chinaren’s Wrath shares the fourth slot with Rai’s Galleons of the Stars

Advertising!
Do you wish to advertise your SGame in IQ? Please submit your inquiries to the editor

IQ needs you!
So you think you can write? If so, please contact the editor for submission rules.

Articles and in-depth reviews of any Sgames welcomed!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: