Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 7- The Little Problems

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright another blending of options. Enjoy!
-----------------------

Chapter Seven: The Little Problems

In a single, liquid motion Angelo went from sitting to standing and facing in the opposite direction. His long hair swirled around him, shimmering like pure light as it danced silkenly with the force of the violent motion. Jade twisted to see what was happening and winced in shock at the sight of the figure in the doorway. Ambrois stood with a look of angery betrayel on his face, eyes cold and unbelieving.

"Oh shit." Angelo's face hardened, eyes that had only moments before been misty with remembered emotions were now shuttered and lifeless, hazed with drink. His voice was rough, his words steeped in a muddle of emotions not even he could sort out. Jade didn't move a muscle, feeling like she was spying on things she had no right to. She felt the urge to slip away yet knew if she moved the anger that stirred within either of these arcex might fall upon her. So, instead, she watched and waited for the right moment.

Ambrois walked out onto the deck, wings stiff and tightly folded behind him. Angelo might as well have been a statue save that his hair fluttered a bit in the wind of their passage. He didn't so much as blink as his progeny came to a halt only inches from him and craned his neck to peer up into the eyes of the father that had deserted him. "Well...I'll count to five...you can start running."

Angelo rolled his eyes. "Shit. Always planned on facing up to this one eventually, just expected to have a little more control over the time, place, and circumstances. However," he said this with a frown and a hard stomp on the deck. "seems that choice was made for me." The ship rolled a little bit, pitching Ambrois forward and against Angelo. For a moment both were as stiff as boards as Ambrois ackwardly caught his balance while muttering embarassed apologies.

It was cut short as Angelo wrapped him in a tight embrace, wings coming around as if to cut them off from the world. "My boy." He said in a hard whisper. "My son..."

Ambrois was shocked to feel tears on his cheeks. Why was he crying? This damn man had left him to rot in that orphanage. For seventeen years Ambrois had been raised by people who spared him only enough consideration to make sure they could still claim a paycheck for keeping him in good health. He'd been convinced by them that he was unwanted, just the bastard byblow of some scum. "You left me there. You let them teach me I was living trash, unwanted..."

"Like I had much of a choice. Take a real hard look around you Ambrois and tell me what you see. You see all the comforts of home? You see safety and security? You see anywhere I could safely raise an infant?" He found himself held at arms' length and felt Angelo's gaze rake him as he would have a razor. His own gaze pinned by Angelo's he saw the unhappiness there. "You think I didn't want you? Hell boy nothing could have been further from the truth."

Ambrois tried to believe Angelo but couldn't. His hurt and sarcasm was evident as he spoke. "Really? Then I suppose it was a matter of mercy that you left me to rot there. To be treated like a thing, not a person?"

Angelo grinned suddenly. "Would you have rather that the down of your infant wings stuffed in the pillow of one of the various people that hate me?" He released Ambrois, draping an arm over the youths shoulders instead. "Dammit boy it hasn't been easy for me to skulk around that damn orphanage year after year, watching you grow up but never being a real part of it. Shit, it wasn't until you started sneaking out that I was able to do anything for you."

Ambrois looked at him suddenly. "Yunni...he really was on your crew at one point wasn't he?"

Angelo winked. "Come on boy. Tell me realistically how you think six young, naive orphans would fare amoung drunken pirates under normal circumstances? Not well mate."

Ambrois shook his head. "And here I thought it was because they liked having someone listen to, and believe, their stories. Man...they taught us more than our actual classes did, about real life that is." He shook his head again. "So you helped us. You watched over us."

"No, not them. You." Angelo's voice hammered the point home. "Call me sentimental but you are worth dying for mate. Perhaps the only thing in this life that is." With that Angelo stepped back. "Now I believe I've given you enough to think over. Maybe you and your girlfriend there should go talk it over."

Ambrois opened his mouth to protest Angelo calling Jade his girlfriend but the slim man had already moved away and was extending a hand to help Jade up. Angelo winked at her. "I hope you can convince my son not to hate me. I did everything I could under the circumstances." He shoved Jade into Ambrois's arms. "Now...get the hell off my deck. I've got my own issues to deal with." He glanced down at the deck. "Stubborn issues to boot."

Ambrois let Jade lead him downstairs, unable to take his eyes off Angelo until the rising deck cut him off from sight. Before they reached the Crew Quarters he stopped her. "Jade..."

"Humm?"

"Can we not tell Saul?"

As if summoned by magic the younger boy's head poked through the doorframe. "Not tell me what?" For a moment all three of them stared at each other before Jade and Ambrois burst out laughing, each imagining the look on Saul's face if, and when, he found out. They brushed past him, still laughing, to leave him standing in the doorway scratching his head.

Walking across the hall and into the Galley he found Donovan making a sandwitch. "Did you hear that?" The Canin nodded as he chewed on the chunk of salami in his mouth. Saul looked back over his shoulder as another bout of laughing crossed the hall and shook his head. "Please tell me I won't be that weird when I get that old."
-----------------------------------

Things were just beginning to settle down when another alarm went off. Angelo rolled his eyes as he descended to the sick bay. He arrived just in time to see the covering shell iris back, the figure inside the shell stirring. He leaned against the doorway and sighed. "I'm getting real sick of dealing with all these problems cropping up this evening." He stomped hard on the floor. "Hint. Hint."

Jasper, still bruised and looking far from recovered, gingerly levered himself out of the recovery unit. Still his legs became gelatine the moment they touched the ground and he would have collapsed had Angelo not been there to catch him. "Easy mate. You might but up but you shouldn't be. Red was like that...never did figure out when to stay down."

Jasper looked up at Angelo as the slim man set him back on the bed. "So history's repeating herself huh? The sons of Red and Angelo picking up where their fathers' left off?"

Angelo grinned. "Somebody warn the universe, Savage and Steel are back in buisness." He patted Jasper gently on the shoulder. "Sorry I was so hard on you mate."

Jasper smiled. "Somebody had to be. I was an ass. I'm sorry for that." He winced as he shifted his weight. "In more than one way."

Angelo chuckled. "Well since you're not going to do the smart thing and stay in that pod I suppose you'll just have to stay away from strenous activities." He walked over to the med cabinet and pulled out several vials. Pouring them together in a glass he walked back over to where Jasper was and held it out to the youth. "Drink that."

Jasper eyed it suspiciously and sniffed it. "Please tell me this isn't how you spend your Saturday nights."

Angelo shook his head. "Nope." He then laughed as Jasper took a massive gulp and coughed on the strong alcohol content. While the youth spluttered the pirate patted him on the back. Finally Jasper caught his breath and glared good naturedly at the pirate.

"What the hell...I thought you said that wasn't alcoholic!"

"I never said that mate. I just said it wasn't how I spent my Saturday nights." He winked at Jasper. "That stuff's about as strong as dishwater from where I'm sitting." Jasper gazed at the slim man with a new sense of appriciation for his hard head...and a new sense of apprehension for the slim man's liver.

Taking the glass Angelo walked over and grabbed a portable scanner from the cabinet. He wanded Jasper a few times to get a sense of how the youth's injuries were shaping up. Finally he put it down just as the buzz was beginning to cloud the young man's head. "Right well I'd stay away from heavy lifting, fights of any kind, getting over-excited or angery...oh...and that pluni girlfriend of yours mate. She counts as strenous activity." He said that last bit with a wink that made Jasper choak on his own spit.

Laughingly, Angelo helped Jasper to his feet just in time to have Jade and Ambrois arrive in the doorway looking disheveled. Angelo raised an eyebrow but didn't say a word...he'd let it slide this time. He handed Jasper to his friends and watched them walk off toward the crew quarters, dusting his hands off lightly. "Well I hope that's the last of the distractions for the night." He walked down the hallway to the Captin's Cabin. The door swung back behind him, leaving just a crack open.

He looked at the image of a beautiful Arcex that seemed to be growing right out of the wood, a decoration of exceeding grace. He opened his mouth to say something when a faint creak announced the presence of an interloaper. Turning slightly he saw the slim figure of Cobalt slip into his cabin. "Hello Captain...hope I'm not bothering you."

"Well, actually lass, now is not the best time."

She sidled up to him, blue eyes wide and innocent. "Oh? Now why is that?"

He peeled himself out of her grip and moved over to put up his sword. "I'm actually rather busy right now. We won't reach our destination till tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out how to stretch what little spirits I've got left."

Almost instantly she was back against him giving him calf eyes. "Maybe you need something else to take your mind off of things." She grinned suggestively.

Angelo sighed. "Is this some perverse punishment for injuring your boyfriend. I assure you he'll be good as new by the end of the week and believe me. Our destination is a nice place for a bit of romance...and I don't care what my crew does on shore leave for the most part lass."

Cobalt pouted a bit. "This has nothing to do with Jasper. I've just decided I need someone with a little more...experiance."

Angelo pushed her back and put his hands on his desk, leaning forward menacingly. "And I prefer my wenches like my spirits...full bodied and well aged. Now get out before I throw you out lass. I don't abide those like you on my ship for long." He sat down in a very final way, staring at her hard.

"Those like me...what's that supposed to mean."

He lifted his eyebrows. "Try using your brain and thinking for a change lass. If smoke doesn't start pouring out of your ears I'm sure you'll figure something out. Now go." He pointed to the door, stifling a laugh as Cobalt was sent flying out of it by a sudden roll of the ship. The same motion slammed the door behind her and knocked the latch into place.

Leaning back in his chair he fixed his gaze on the carved eyes of the Arcex maid. "Well you've been real subtle this evening. What are you going to do when they get their sea legs?" The image didn't seem to reply yet Angelo's smile widened. "Oh, well in that case please warn me ahead of time. I need to prepare myself for meddling of that magnitude."

Again there was no response yet Angelo sighed. "No, no. I'm not angery with you. I just think that now was not the best time to tell the lad he was my son. I mean I've still got to work with them and while he might seem to have taken it well...how do I know he's not harboring some murderous rage against me? You know how apt that would be, my ending up killing him to defend myself?"

The statue remained just a carving and Angelo shook his head. "You know, your right. I need to be a little more relaxed about these things, roll with the punches better. But I have to tell ya beautiful...I'm feeling a bit like a battered man." Slowly the ship began to rock and the exertions, emotional and physical, took their final tool as Angelo drifted off to sleep.
--------------------------

In the Crew Quarters, nearly all the orphans had dozed off. Jasper and Jade with their beds shoved together...Jade's fingers intertwined with Ambrois's as their arms' bridged the distance between their bunks. Saul was bunched up in bed, sleeping the restless sleep of a growing boy. His face was turned to one side, arms stretched back stright, butt in the air, knees level with elbows. His drool stuck the pillow to his face and his blanket looked like a tent.

Donovan was rolled over on his back, much like a dog infront of a fire. His snores echoed off the room, drool trailing from one corner of his jaw. His legs twitched occasionally as he dreamed of chasing something, tail giving a faint wag now and then.

Yet Cobalt was not asleep. She lay in her bunk, contemplating the insult given. She'd offered to give Angelo everything and that misbegotten excuse for a pirate had turned her down flat. More than flat...emphatically. Well hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...it was time Angelo Steel learned that. Slowly, as a plan formed in her brain, a wicked smile crossed her face.
----------------------------------

What is Cobalt's plan for revenge...or embarassment?
-----------------------------

Well...hope you folks liked!

"Music makes you braver."
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, good chapter!

Hmmm a woman scorned? Perhaps she decides to go to his cabiin when he's not looking and start rooting through his stuff.

Interesting to see how the relationships between them all are changing.

Maybe that statuette... Perhaps she takes it somehow. Or breaks it... Or at least does something with it he really doesn't like.
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how's about this? cobalt says that angelo raped her, and then some body fluid scans come out of a comp somewhere, and she is forced to admit that she lied or gets thrown overboard? best i can do.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Rune
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
3923 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She wouldn't really be much aware of the statues significance over anything else. And her plan probably wouldn't involve just rummaging through his stuff. I'd go with something more like she tries to fake being the things she assumes he wants her to be, or even better- she makes her moves on his son. Wink

That, hopefully, says enough.

By the way, I enjoyed this chapter. The character development was interesting and really fleshes out the story.

I'll see you in my thoughts and dreams.
Try not worry for you- unseen. A child I knew you then- Now amongst the dead spirits of men.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.
I'll hang on if you linger.

Rest your spirit with me.
One friend down. Goodbye Christian.
tramp in a storm
Honored Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
56 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! He so totally found out!
That was a great chapter* Rai Very Happy .

As for the Dp... it's a toughy. I like the idea that she makes a move on ambrois... and then Jade beats the crap out of her and they dump her somewhere nasty when they hit shore Very Happy ..... poor girl... ah well I don't like her, she reminds me of someone i know.

*Of course, it had to be, 'cos my mum came in and distracted me when I was trying to read it. she only does that for the best bits of stories (even if she doesn't do it on purpose).

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
2798 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea that Cobalt goes after Ambrois...she doesn't know yet that he's Angelo's son, but she could be doing it just to make Angelo jealous or something.

But the ship, which incorporates the spirit of Angelo's dead wife, is very protective of her son and manages to teach Cobalt the same kind of lesson Jasper learned.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG I should give you a small award for figuring out the part of the ship.

That's right in the next chapter you will meet the 'soul' of the ship. So be prepared people!

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised Rai, I read it. (I know it's a few days later than planned, Sorry about that.)

And I have to say :O! What a little hussy!

Very Happy Now, hmm..... revenge... that I can do......... I say she drops a bit of something into one of his drinks and hands it to him, apologizing for her behavior previously and promising to never let the thought come across her mind again.

Then once he's out, she ties him up and gags him. Then Messy's idea comes into play.

Of course, that's if the ship doesn't interfere... ohohohohoho! What fun!

© 2007-2019 Lilith
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
793 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yey - I finally got around to catching up again. Smile

Great last two chapters Rai, although I especially liked the last one. As mentioned, the way their relationships are changing is really interesting and character developing. - thankyou! Very Happy
F5 MG,

~Solus Wink

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Solus! Glad to have you abord again.

Thanks for the comments all. Poll will go up tomorrow or the next day.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arr...vote maties!

CurlyBear
Tourist

Topics: 0
Location: On one of a group of islands of the coast of Asia. Guess which one.

Items
Legends
91 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a great SG! I have voted and can't wait for the next chapter.
I was hated my entire life, and things only got worse when my sister told me she hated me, too. I walked away, and was rescued by three travelers. That night, we were hunted and separated, but we found each other in the end. I met my sister again in a town quite similar to our own. She apologized with such regret that I found the heart to forgive her. We're now together, but things will never be the same.

Read Strength Within, by Adalia.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big heya Curly! Glad you're liking the SG. So just sit back, relax, and watch me get these guys in even more trouble...

Sea Siren

Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai, awesome chapter, heck, awesome story! as always, i love reading what you've written! Wink

couple ideas, i do really like the thought of Angelo's dead wife's spirit haunting the ship. that could be a really nice touch. maybe have her start attacking cobalt, tripping her up at each turn. also, i would really really like to have more background on jasper and jade...learn more about where they came from and such *winks*, also, on second ( oh no wait, that would be 4th read) of chapt 7, i had a thought... how about if cobalt discovers she has some interesting power(s).something that frightens her, but she fins she can use to her advantage in the end... like maybe even a split personality...*shrugs*

other than that, you're stories, as always Rai, is just immense! i like the way you paint a good picture for us. to me, that's very important. also must say i love how you put pics in with the story, totally awesome touch! Lookin forward to the next chapter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: