Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 9.5: The Betrayal

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Chapter 9.5: The Betrayal Reply with quote

Second half. DP included.
---------------------

Chapter Nine part 2: The Betrayal

Saul woke with a sharp pain in his very foggy head. He groaned once, then twice as he pried open eyes that seemed sealed shut with glue. "Ugh...what hit me?" He didn't expect an answer to his sarcastic and rhetorical question but he got one anyway.

"Which time mate? The coconut or the dart?" Angelo's voice came from not too far away although Saul's eyes weren't working well enough to catch sight of his hero. Everything seemed fuzzy and blurred, like looking through a window in a heavy rainstorm.

"Dart? What dart?" That was from Jasper, his voice muzzy as if it was coming from deep underwater though it too was nearby. Saul couldn't figure it out. One minute he was standing in the middle of the group with everyone laughing at him...the next here he was. He tried moving and found that his wrists and ankels were bound and he was hanging from a long wooden pole like some fresh game. That couldn't be good. An ache that was building in shoulders and hips told him he'd been like this for quite some time.

"Yeah, what dart?" He managed to choake out from around a tounge that felt like it was three feet thick and covered with shag carpet so deep that it would have explained the need for platform shoes.

Angelo's drunken laughter reeled back at him. "Ah mates, it's a quite a tale. My friends, you see, don't take kindly to strangers. The see 'em as, well ah, as food." Whether it was the sudden revelation he might be on the menu or the effects of the 'dart' had finally wore off Saul would never know. But suddenly he was awake, aware, and in possession of his full wits. Tilting his head, so that he could see right ways up, he was greeted with a shocking sight.

Angelo reclined on a long, low couch covered with fur pillows. A tropical drink with a large lemon wedge impaled on the edge of his glass, was held gently in one hand. The other was being leaned on by his chin as he propped his head up with his elbow. His long sliver hair spilled down the edge, legs were neatly crossed at the ankles, wings trailing off behind him. Obviously whomever had designed the couch had had an Arcex in mind when they had done so. But it wasn't the lounging pirate that really held Saul's attention. It was all the little people swarming around him.

They couldn't have been more than four feet tall, the smallest were only around two feet. They were dressed in hides and skins that were well tanned and tailored, not at all like the savages Saul would have imagined. He could see a band, with strange instruments made from the parts of stranger animals, tuning up in the far background and a raging bonfire being stoked by several more of the tiny figures. They chattered at Angelo in a language so full of technical terms that a lawyer might have had a hard time fitting in and it certainly was beyond Saul's understanding.

One who looked immensly more important than the others had marched up to Angelo and said something Saul could only stare at blankly. He was even more shocked when Angelo replied without using a word that had less than seven syllables and twenty two letters in it. The important pygmy bowed low and Angelo's silver brows shot up into his hair as it trundled away. Then he looked at the orphans, where they hung like sides of meat.

"I've got good news and bad news mates."

"What's the bad news?" Jasper chimed up and Saul craned his head around, barely stifling a laugh as he glimpsed the older boy. Jasper's face was as red as his hair, the blood rushing to his head, and his pole was too short for his long form so his bottom drug the ground. He was trying to glare at Angelo but was so woosey that his eyes kept crossing in a way Saul found emmensely enjoyable. Meanwhile, Saul worked his clever fingers at the tiny knots that held him captive, confidant that there wasn't a pygmy alive that could tie a knot that would hold him...or not for long at any rate.

Angelo took a long sip of his drink and grinned. "I can't order them to free you."

Jade's calm tones stemmed the panic Saul instantly felt rise in his throat. "So what's the good news?"

"I can challenge the cheif to have him order you let go." The slim man said with a wink. "He's due back soon so no fear. There isn't the pygmy alive that could best me at any competition."
---------------------------------

Angelo had been happily line dancing with the pygmy's, an interesting sight since the slim man was nigh on seven feet tall and the pygmy's were barely a third of his hight in most cases. The orphans were doing their best not to laugh at the odd dance and the odder music, which had anyone known it resembled an ancient song and dance called 'The Time Warp'. Then, suddenly, horns had signalled the arrival of the cheif and his empty handed hunting party.

Angelo couldn't believe his drunken eyes as he stared down the cheif of the tribe. "Well...I wasn't expecting you mate. It's been what...seven years?"

"Eight." Came the harsh reply from the pluni in the ill fitting furs. Obviously the pygmys might be able to tailor their own clothing to perfection but clothing for anyone over four feet seemed to be out of their grasp. Thus, the set of striped furs that garbed this man were as savage as one might expect. Indeed, Tarzan wouldn't have used them for loincloths. It also looked as if the cheif of the tribe hadn't bathed in those eight years, his hair matted and his nails broken and filthy. His eyes were unnaturally bright as they stared at Angelo. "Eight godforsaken years Angelo Steel, since I was marooned here."

Angelo took another sip off of his drink and shrugged. "You never should have tried it Tabor. I've always been better than you, hell I'm better than that damned mutineer you call Captian."

The pygmy's shrunk back, unsure who's side to take, as their cheif pulled free a bone knife and lunged toward Angelo...only to have it struck away as the slim man brought up one glimmering wing in a fluid motion. Tabor surpressed a cry as he held a hand that now sported a deep gash across the back of it and one of Angelo's primaries was graced with a smear of his blue blood. Angelo took another sip of his drink, shaking his head ever so slightly.

"Speed's improved but you're still signalling your intent. I'm surprised he went so easy on you Tabor...doesn't he normally gut those who fail him?" Angelo asked with a slightly raised brow. He went to take another sip of his drink, realized it was empty, and handed it to a waiting pygmy with a bit of a pout.

Tabor, meanwhile, had accepted a bandage from another pygmy and was finishing knotting it up. "I think he expected them to eat me." He gestured to the pygmy's with his eyes. "Instead I bested that idiot wastrel they called a cheif and...well I've been here ever since."

Angelo nodded, taking his refill from the pygmy that brought it to him. "I can think of worse places to be mate," he said taking a sip. "Such as dead." Suddenly the tension in the air grew as Tabor seemed ready to press his attack again and Angelo feinged ignorance to the other pirate's fury.

Tabor's voice was shaking with surpressed rage when he spoke again. "What do you want Angelo? Why did you come back here?"

Angelo downed his drink in one gulp and tossed his mane of silver hair back when it fell forward and into his eyes. "Lemon wedges...and I was out of spirits onboard." Angelo didn't notice the way Tabor's eyes flicked to the still tied up orphans and turned his head slightly in their direction, his eyes still on his foe. "Ah yes, that reminds me. I'd like my crew freed."

Tabor's eyes widened. "You've a crew? Them?!" Laughter burst unrestrained from the pluni, who doubled over for a moment before remembering where he was and whom he faced. He stifled his laughter for the most part, a few snorts of mirth breaking through in his next words. "Recruiting a bit young arn't you?"

"No younger than I was really when I first put the deck under my feet Tabor. Certainly not younger than you unless all those stories of yours are merely hot air and blown smoke, eh mate?" Angelo's eyes sparkled as Tabor's mirth dissolved.

"You can't have them." He said flatly.

"Going to challenge me over them?" A mirthless smile twisted the slim man's lips. "Tell you what...I'll let you have the blue haired doxy. Might make a tasty treat." Both of the pirates ignored Cobalt's outraged squeal and high pitched threats. Tabor made a gesture and two pygmys swiftly stepped forward and bound her mouth with a vile looking rag.

Tabor looked at the orphans and back at Angelo, eyes narrow. "What makes them so special as to be your crew?" He took a step forward. "What would make the great Angelo Steel take them as his..." Tabor's words faltered as Jasper twisted an angery face toward him and his eyes grew large as he stared into the boy's features. "Good god...he's...he's...isn't he?"

Angelo snorted. "You expect me to answer that? Please mate, I'm drunk not stupid. Now about letting them go?" Angelo stared at Tabor and noted the fear that took root in the pluni's eyes. "Ah, I'm glad we've come to an accord."
-------------------------

Tabor stared broodingly at Angelo and his crew of youngsters. Mange would reward him handsomely if Tabor could just get his hands on those twins. The boy, Jasper, gave him shudders just to look at. It was like staring at Red Savage reincarnate, the boy he must have been once. And the girl was obviously his sister, very much like him save for her feminine version of the same features. He'd even glimpsed the silver pendants that graced their necks, the descreet beverages he'd instructed his minions to serve them doing their job.

A rustling noise to his left made him pick up a weapon and abruptly reach out to pull the offending sneaker into his lap. It was the girl, the blue haired lass of his own kind that Angelo had so scornfully offered him. Tabor took a moment to examin her, noting with some satisfaction that she was a fine specimen even with the fresh scar that vanished benieth the eyepatch that covered part of her face. A lass with some spice, a wench unlike any to be had hereabouts. She'd be a handful when she was full grown and had more than just soft flesh and hair to offer.

"What do you want?" His voice was rough, but not with anger. Her face moved close to his ear and, for an instant, Tabor wondered if Angelo had sent this rough and ready lass to end his life.

Her breath tickled a bit as she whispered into his ear. "Revenge. Angelo Steel took my eye and my beauty. I want to see him suffer." Tabor turned swiftly to her and locking eyes recognized the kindred spirit that dwelled within the girl. She smiled like a siren at him...oh yes she would grow into a fine wench this young doxy. She stood and crooked a finger at him. "Come, I know where the ship is. And trust me, it's not as well protected as it might have been."

Not all that much later Tabor found himself in a place he'd never dreamed of being. The communications consol of the Bloody Muse. The doxy, Cobalt, was fidgiting next to him. "You're sure? They'll be here soon?"

"I'm sure. There's a boat being sent down to fetch us now. Did you plant those charges as I told you?" She flipped her hair at him, as if to say 'of course do you think me an idiot' and Tabor licked his lips. Oh revenge would be sweet. "Come on, we've got to be on deck."

Rushing up to the deck the saw the longboat an old cohort of Tabor's had sent for them descending, a rope ladder was tossed over the side. Cobalt went first, followed by Tabor himself. A grin stretched his face...at last he was getting off this forsaken isle. He was going to get his propers now, everything he deserved. He was still grinning like a fool as they stood in the boat when one of the men called a sharp warning. As both he and the doxy leaned over the edge, the forms of Angelo Steel and his crew could be made out below.

"Give me a gun." The doxy, Cobalt, said in a voice so cold Tabor shivered. A small, antiquated handgun was handed to her by one of the boatmen. Before anyone could ask if she knew how to handel one, she expertly removed the safety and cocked it in one swift motion. Smiling, she pointed it toward the figures below. "Now let's see what you're really made of Angelo Steel." Her finger tightened and the gun went off with a roar that was drowned out by the explosion below.
------------------------

Jasper was almost too stunned to deal with things when they happened. One minute, they were chasing Cobalt whom Tabor seemed to have kidnapped, the next all hell broke loose. As the charges Tabor had directed Cobalt to plant on the Muse erupted in displays of violet and orange, Angelo himself lept forward and to the left. But he didn't land smoothly, instead he crumpled to the ground, kneeling like a man about to be knighted. However, one hand was braced against the ground while the other pressed tight to his side.

Brilliant silver blood spilled in appalling quantities from between his tightly clasped fingers and his breath was coming in shallow pants. A cough brought more to his lips. "Damn wench...fine shot. Punctured a lung." Angelo coughed again and turned to aim a cold stare at the rapidly retreating boat while Ambrois dropped next to him to apply even more pressure with both hands.

Jasper realized he had to take control.
-------------------------------

Alright folks. Angelo is injured pretty badly, the Muse is trashed, and Cobalt's switched sides. What could Jasper possibly do?
-------------------------

There you are. Sorry, it's not short but once again, a lot had to be said. Luckily it's the last of the two parters and probably the last of the long chappies you'll see for a long while. Hope you enjoyed.

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent chappy rai. difficult dp though.

will ponder this more. oh, and 'the time warp'? I think that i recall that.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson

Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'The Time Warp'

The time warp is one of the silliest songs I've heard. I have the cd.
Anyway great chapter. Now where is the start of the story?
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY THAT DIRTY LITTLE *hands clamp over mouth as a strong explicative is uttered*!

*regains composure* Ahem, Jasper should first of all get them all to safety.. not sure how safe they are around those pygmy-people.... And Angelo needs some kind of medical attention....... or at least a bandage to stop the bleeding...

Once he's stable, they should see if the Muse can be salvaged at all. Or at least see if Ambrois's mom can do anything to help Angelo.

That's all I got for ya Rai.

*wanders off*

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Edit option as been forgotten...

Btw, Rai..

Betrayal...

'al' not 'el' dear...

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, well, how about there is a vial of really potent alcohol in one of angelo's pockets, and two drops in the hole heal him and make him better than new?

or take him to the pygmy's. optherwise, that is all i got rai.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to vote for the SuperHuman Award for Best Character, IFians!

Who will win this most prestigious award?

Get yourselves along to the IFY's 2007 now and have your say!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK edit buttons should be there now... sorry about that... Blush

There are quite a lot of spelling mistakes on this one, all of them non-contextual so a spell checker should catch them all Smile

An interesting turn of events for certain!

I think for the DP Jasper should help Ambrois get Angelo some medical attention. Certainly that is the biggest priority for now. Looks like only the pygmies will be able to help at this moment in time.

They should also move on - Tabor will want to come back for the twins for sure.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey look...a poll.

Vote.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you havn't voted, vote now! The Poll will be closing in a few hours!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: