Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 24: The Admiral Divided

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Chapter 24: The Admiral Divided Reply with quote

Heh. I'm very pleased with the poll option actually. Although hard to write it is the most rewarding course of action. Hope you all enjoy!
---------------------------

Chapter Twenty Four: The Admiral Divided

Trinity looked at Angelo over the tips of her raised fingers. Don't rush me Angelo. Perhaps you should provide a little information first? Angelo looked at her seriously, uncounted years standing in his eyes, weighing down his shoulders. Trinity realized, in a startled flash of insight, that Angelo looked old. And that hit her like a blow low in the gut.

He snorted softly before nodding slowly. Alright. But I'm trusting you Trinity. Don't betray me again.

Even though she told herself not to she flinched under the gaze of those silver eyes, opening her mind to him in a display of trust. And slowly, the information began to trickle in. A story, written in pain, blood, tears, and soul-crushing despair. It was the story of Angel Blade...

At the end of the Wars of Genocide, it was decided by the newly formed Star Council that knowledge was the root of all evil. They decided that for peace ever to be lasting, the weapons and technology of the day had to be destroyed. Forgotten. Erased as if they had never been. Everything from warships to hospitals were dismantled and reduced to rubble, their destruction overseen by one Arcex. A man named Graven Blade.

To him fell the brutal task of collecting 'forbidden' knowledge and killing those who had possessed it before. Of amassing all that the Council wanted deleted from history and destroying it. Only Graven couldn't bring himself to do it. Instead he had several massive Vaults created on far flung worlds. Desolate places where no life could exist, where no life had a place being. Where no sapient would have cause to go. In these Vaults, he placed technology both helpful and destructive, things that could wipe out an entire race or save it from ruin.

A memory surfaced, passed along from Angelo to Trinity. Nothing final, nothing definite, nothing whole. Simply an impression, many worlds floating in a vast space, brought together by the brilliant spark of Angelo's mind. A fleeting glimpse of the worlds Angelo was speaking of, or more likely, worlds symbolizing them.

Then he took the knowledge itself, schematics and blueprints, research notes and archived papers, anything and everything and locked it away on an out of the way planetoid. A great Library above the darkest Vault of them all, nestled in the heart of a paradise.

As a last act, he placed satellites around the words, defense grids that make what we have today look like firecrackers and pop guns in comparison. A network of weaponry so powerful the whole of the Armada could be hurled at it and, without the proper codes, vaporized without a single recharge needed. Content that this would keep the Vaults safe, he returned home only to find himself a man marked for death. It seemed the Council wanted to make sure the Vaults could never be found and the Knowledge never recovered.

Trinity shifted. Much of what he was telling her was well known, both the facts and the legends. But a few of the details, such as the defense grids, were new to her. They'd only been called a 'force' in the old texts, Graven Blade's name another word for traitor. Angelo-

He held up a hand. Let me finish love. He cleared his throat and resumed his tale. Graven fled the death warrant, taking his wife with him, to a newly colonized world so far off the beaten path that the colonists weren't sure what Arcex were. There he lived, making a poor living as a humble merchant. There his only child was born, a son he named Angel. To his son he imparted the knowledge of the Vaults, of the Library. He told him the tale of his past and bade him keep the knowledge safe, to make sure that which was locked away remained lost.

He smiled now. No doubt you're familiar with the legends of Angel's rise to power. From honest merchant to the High Lord Pirate. He united those who made a living preying on the intrepid souls who ventured the shipping lanes between the farthest flung stars, making them a force to be reckoned with. The Black Requiem was a name sailors linked closely with death. Spoken only in hushed whispers lest the mere mention of it summon the hell ship and it's demon captain.

He forged the Articles of Immortality, five artifacts of great and terrible power, items of legend. He wrote the Accord of Honor, a code to which all pirates worthy of the name comply. And he handed the Armada it's ass time and again in battle after battle. People say that after the battle of ValinMoon his luck ran out, his demon masters came to make good the deal they had made with him. The old legends speak of his sold soul howling in Hell. Yet the legends are wrong. I once told you long ago that Angel never sold his soul, it was sold by his family and reclaimed by his lost love?

Trinity rolled her eyes. The Steel Siren, yes. But she's a myth. People love to talk about her, how she sits in the ruins of the Arcex home-world and lures the unwary in with her song, searching for the son Angel Blade stole from her... Angelo quit feeding me star tales and get to-

She is not a myth. Allow me to prove it. He extended his right arm toward her, staring her dead in the eye. Take off my glove.

Angelo, if this is some kind of sick joke I-

Do. It.

Slowly Trinity reached out and pulled clear the glove from his hand. It fell from her suddenly numb fingers, eyes going wide at the sight that greeted her. Slowly she lifted her gaze from the hand that looked like it had liquid steel for skin and looked deep into Angelo's eyes. It's you...the stolen son is...you.

Stolen? Hardly. My mother tossed me out like old trash, only too glad to give me up to my father and hope he killed me. She's changed her mind since then but you know what? It's too damn late.

She looked at him with new eyes now, fully appreciating the fact that his hair, his feathers, and even the silvered irises of his eyes were not just the effects of some process he'd undergone, as rumor had it. They were a legacy, a heritage he didn't seem to want but couldn't fully deny. If your mother is the Steel Siren...then is...

Yes.

For a long moment Trinity sat in silence. Her training, her instincts, her loyalty screamed at her to lock him up and throw away the key. Deliver him to the Council. Then the full impact of what he was telling her hit home. You know where the Vaults are...the Library...the Articles?

Yes, yes, and yes. I, better than anyone alive, know what those damned things can do and why they need to stay buried, forever. Like it or not, I am the current Protector of the Forbidden Knowledge and I will do everything in my power to see that it never, ever, comes to light. He leaned forward, gimlet gaze pinning her. Now, what say you Trinity?

She thought for a for a long moment, knowing full well that Angelo was waiting patiently, following the thoughts as they tumbled through her head. Finally, she reached a decision. It wasn't the best, but it was the only one that satisfied her heart, mind, soul, morals, and sanity. Once before you asked me to follow you Angelo, to come with you. I...I told you no. I turned you away and took something very precious from you, something I found inconvenient but could never replace. For that I am sorry, not a day goes by that guilt does not haunt me. But I could not say yes, for the life of me I could not.

She couldn't meet his gaze, hanging her head instead. I still cannot simply follow you Angelo. I am no pirate, no matter how noble your intentions might be. I cannot kill without justification, nor take that which I did not rightfully earn. I cannot condone three quarters of your actions and cannot bear to think about that final quarter. Yet what you have told me, what I have learned, the faith and trust you are still willing to extend to me... She lifted her head again, new fire in her eyes. These things I cannot ignore and still call myself a just, lawful, and true. So I am forced to follow a course neither theirs nor yours. Can you accept this decision?

For a long time Angelo said nothing, his gaze turned inward, his thoughts held tightly behind a steel wall she dared not give the slightest brush. Then he closed his eyes with a weary sigh. If I must, I must. I would have liked you at my back though. His eyes opened again staring sightlessly at some spot above her head. There are far too few people left I can trust with that.

So you plan on taking them on then?

Them? He raised an eyebrow, that bemused smile on his face. Them, as in the Armada?

Yes, them as in the Armada. I said I wouldn't follow you to piracy, I never said I was going to stand by and watch all hell break loose. One can rebel without ever changing sides.

Her smile mirrored his as they shared a perfect moment of understanding. She would take the system down from within, gathering those loyal and discarding those corrupt. He would do as his father had done and rally the pirates.

Why do I suddenly feel as though you've gotten the easy job love? His smile faded as he shifted his weight, wincing uncomfortably. Now, put my glove back on and lets turn to serious matters.

Such as? She grinned as she slipped his glove back on his hand, gently making sure it was on correctly.

Well my escape naturally. If you're not coming with me then we've got to make it look good.

Ah yes, that. She drummed her fingers on her desk. Well, it's in my orders to find the Muse, I suppose giving the crew shore leave when we first make port in Tallistown would provide an excellent cover for you to make your break for it.

Yes, that would do...Oh and love, isn't it about time you gave up on your silent prisoner and sent him to the brig by way of sick bay?

She smiled frustratedly at him. Putting you in sick bay and sending the guards on leave is going to make me look rather foolish when you break out.

He smirked.Yes, but better be thought a fool than have all your well thought out plans exposed to the light. His mental voice seemed to drop lower, reverberate deeper in her skull. Besides, we all do foolish things every once and a while love... And just like that she was kissing him again, both of them leaning across her desk and ignoring the various pains that shrilled through their bodies.

As he reluctantly pulled back from her and she summoned the guards, Angelo turned his attention from Trinity to more pressing matters. Getting off the Wyvern and back to his own ship would be no problem now...but getting the Muse out of port would take some doing.
--------------------------------

So how does Angelo set about getting the Muse back out amoung the stars? Any and all suggestions are welcome.
-----------------------------

Nearly ended up splitting this one into two parts. You narrowly escaped that fate. Hopefully I'll be able to get more funny in next chapter, this one was devoted to explainations and reactions...still, hope you liked!

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't the ship equipped with advanced cloaking devices? that would make things a might bit simpler.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure but cloaking won't get you past the port security grid.

Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about system override abilities then?

eminem

marilyn manson
Gallant
Citizen

Topics: 14

Items
Legends
1645 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Meph is suggesting is some sort of technological magic out of a hat. Very Happy

Okay, they're stopping ships at the security grid... What if the Muse was hidden as a piece of some sort of debris. Maybe there's a cataclysmic explosion in the city to hide in as the debries. Or even hide in the dust as the ship. Basically my suggestion is "BIG BOOM!!!!"
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we forgetting the delightful crew on board the Muse? Smile Angelo calls out to Ambrose and tells him exactly how to have the crew ready to help his escape.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit radical perhaps, but why not have the Wyvern's crew capture the crew of the Muse, and bring them aboard the Wyvern. Then have the Muse guys take over and escape on the Wyvern, with Trinity as the apparent captive. That way she's still not deserting the fleet, officially, anyway, which keeps true to the previous DP.

They'll have the fleet on their backs for a while, but they can ditch Trinity and get on another boat later.

Not quite sure how the crew numbers match up to make that one work though... mind you it doesn't necessarily have to be a successful plan, does it?
Gallant
Citizen

Items
Legends
1645 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thst seems like a good idea Crunchy. I mean, can't the Muse run itself. We're forgetting about Angelo's wife.

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your the one who writes about Wyvern, I wondered why D-lotus asked me "Who writes about Wyvern". I kept thinking of the two legged dragon called Wyvern and searched the internet for any clue to who writes about the dragon. I didn't came up to reading this chapter. Great chappy, can't say what will happen this will fall into place eventually and it'll come out fine, since your a great writer.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote and see your option win!*

*restrictions apply, results may very...

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, almost a week and only two votes...and a tie at that? This makes me rather nervous...

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLLLLLLOOOOO!!! RAI CAN YOU LIKE POST SOMETHING FOR THIS?! AN INTERLUDE OR SOMETHING?! I'm story starved. Sad

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Gallant
Citizen

Items
Legends
1645 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAI!!!!! Post! Now!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for a tie-breaker and all Gallant's vote did was make it a three way tie instead. *sighs* Not breaking this one myself... *grins*

Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would someone vote on this so that it can move on...please?

eminem

marilyn manson
Sasuke
Resident

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
260 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There, at a request a loyal Rai corp. employee has stepped in for the sake of profits and customers [a story that doesn't move doesn't pull anyone in] So, voila broken tie.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: