Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Demise: NSS- The End
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. If/when Kittalia wakes up if she's got 4-5 health she's going to follow the fighting at an extreme distance just to keep an eye on all of you.

If she's at less than 4 health, she's going to get outta there and sell everything she's collected so she can put the gold in her retirement fund...unless something more interesting, and lucrative, and less stressful to her health comes up. Very Happy

"Music makes you braver."
Rune
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalanna Rai wrote:
Right. If/when Kittalia wakes up if she's got 4-5 health she's going to follow the fighting at an extreme distance just to keep an eye on all of you.

Though the description leaves a bit to be desired, Kittalia IS still conscious. I was not specific about her state at the end. Her health remains as listed.

Kalanna Rai wrote:

If she's at less than 4 health, she's going to get outta there and sell everything she's collected so she can put the gold in her retirement fund...unless something more interesting, and lucrative, and less stressful to her health comes up. Very Happy

And just how do you propose you'll escape? If I remember correctly, the room you all leaped into (the one with the mound of husks) was around 30 feet high or so. It collapsed and you all ended up at the bottom. Well, you weren't in the room initially but you found your way there. Then, during the show and tell scene with the scorpions, the floor collapsed. You don't know where you are since the territory is entirely unfamiliar. You're not even sure how you got where you did beyond following the lights. And you've just descended an unknown depth LOWER than the one you were at previously. Escape? I think that would partially undermine the title of the story. Wink No, I think you'll be taking up residence within the Prison for quite some time my dear assassin. Dead Subject Although, if it makes you feel any better- the opportunity for escape remained until the environment change won the vote. If that hadn't taken place then you just might be able to get the heck out of there and sell all that loot.

Oh yeah, if you are conscious it helps me know what you want to do before I work on the next update. There's only 3 of you conscious out of a cast of 8. :-p
I already know what stalker girl is going to do. What about the rest of you?

I'll see you in my thoughts and dreams.
Try not worry for you- unseen. A child I knew you then- Now amongst the dead spirits of men.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.
I'll hang on if you linger.

Rest your spirit with me.
One friend down. Goodbye Christian.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If or when Skrangold wakes up, he will probably stick with Dicana. Seems like she needs him around, and he needs her.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go - I read it. Is it possible to make a new character now, or do you have to wait for a new round?

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to wait for a new round. New abilities, variations to the rules, different options and all that. You can practice character creation if you'd like, or go put forth suggestions, ideas and comments in the appropriate thread (our sister thread is the discussion topic found in the open forum). While you can't see the details of previous votes you can see the results (who won/lost them) to kind of get an idea on what is the common thread among voters. Players haven't become very vocal on their characters until this update (even though it was mentioned that they could make such comments from the start and I did do a reminder on the previous update to which Matts player responded) so you won't be able to really get a solid feel, just yet, for what is going on in anyones head and influencing their decisions. That is slowly starting to change as people are getting more comfortable with the system and -hopefully- are learning how to use it to get what they want.

As I have said several times, there is a lot of strategy to be had in the playing and a lot of simplicity. Every update can change what constitutes a threat and alter personal agendas. As such, having a plan when you go into this (or developing one now) can only be an asset.

I think the advantage goes to people who are reading and voting versus participating because the readers are getting a more obective learning experience, seeing the mistakes, seeing the successes, seeing things that perhaps the players are missing...And this, of course, allows those participating in next round to be more prepared with a good example to follow on 'to do's' and 'not to do's'.

The current player cast, of course, has direct experience and so will have the benefit of subjective hindsight. It is just my hope that the readers of this round come out strong and well made when the next one begins. I'd really like to see a lot more 'moves' being made and manipulation of the system. It hasn't yet and as you can see, this round is working it's way to a conclussion. We may have most of the cast left but the damage from the votes is so high that it won't be that way for very long.

In my mind, with the exception of the fact that a certain someone has won the vote again, it's 'panic time' because just about every vote after this has the power to kill outright. So certian options (not yet explored by players but which are present for one and soon to others) should be used as strategic leverage while the goal of victory and survival are becoming much more paramount.

We'll see how this plays out. There are still several very useful tactics to see and learn and hopefully people will see them put into action.

I'll give a hint- think outside the box. This isn't just a story.

Try not worry for you- unseen. A child I knew you then- Now amongst the dead spirits of men.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Thaumaturgus

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, since Matt is still in the original Prison area (as far as I can tell, he fell unconscious before the Change of Environment that we voted on took effect) he should probably continue exploring around that area, searching for his companions in the process
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pole is closed. That was close. Much better voting that time and it's only going to get more complicated and yet simple (fewer people to vote on) as chapters progress.

Next update- the environment change you requested along with some shenanegans and whatnots.

Is it just me or is damage from voting 1 chapter behind? Ie, there seems to be a bit of lag in terms of the damage. Chapter 2 characters take 1 damage from the voting because the vote was for the first update. And so on. I'll have to review my previus updates to see if this holds true. It looks like the damage from monsters and damage tokens remains even (since it is not predetermined) but votes are a chapter behind. Am I right or did I miss something?

I dunno, I just thought that somehow a 4th chapter vote should be for 4 damage but now that I think about it, that damage takes place next chapter which is the 5th. At any rate, that should be the format from now if it hasn't been in the future. I think all player votes have that one chapter lag. It could just be my perspective from writting though because your polls go out the same day the newest chapter goes up. It might not seem like lag to you guys but it does to me.
-end ramble.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um Chapter Next!

It was a strange sensation, one he hadn’t felt in quite a while but it felt good. It was somewhat difficult to describe but it was located right in the center of his belly, this giddy feeling and it seemed to tingle, or squirm or jump. In a way, he felt as though he had to go pee and nearly did. Then Skrangold opened his eyes.

It was bright and there was a lot of wind. Above he could see a ledge which was growing increasingly distant. Perplexed by the rushing sound around his ears, he turned his head. Kitty and Roger were next to him, a cavernous background rushing past. Skrangold tried to sit up but found he couldn’t. The result was his robes blew into his face obscuring his vision. He pulled them away and saw the ground below, rushing very fast to meet him.

Skrangold looked up suddenly, panic in his heart. He didn’t know how he had missed them before but there were countless gigantic scorpions tumbling through the air behind him. One came closer, completely out of control, flopping about like a frisbee thrown by a three year old. The filthy fire mage took one look into those inhuman eyes and screamed for all he was worth.

--

The party fell, fell into a chasm deep and filled with warm hellish light. Several thudded, miraculously, onto a forgiving mass of porous stone. The fall would otherwise have killed them. Roger Apple stood slowly to recover and make sure everything was in working order then remembered the scorpions and quickly looked up. Fortunately for him and the rest of his companions, the beasts were not as lucky as they.

The scorpions fell into heaps and piles upon the solid stone floor and the source of the light and warmth: lava. Roger took an unconscious step back as he saw the first few creatures land into the flowing red river with dense splashes and sudden flame. A scream interrupted his brief viewing and looking up again, he could see it was Dicana. She was too far off course and wouldn’t make it. By the gods he thought. But it was over as soon as it began.

Dicanas screams were cut short. She wasn’t spared the mercy of landing on the hard stone but instead found her way into the river of molten rock. Roger immediately rushed to her aid but knew it was hopeless before he’d gotten there. He could hear the others behind him rousing from their states and the fall; wondered what this would mean for Skrangold. Roger looked into eyes of the melting woman and immediately wished he hadn’t.

Dicana tried to swim and her cries were not out of fear but raw, pain-ridden pleas to be relieved of the torment. They came out in almost demonic notes and for a moment, Roger wished she would die sooner so he wouldn’t hear those screams. Her golden hair had disintegrated brilliantly upon reaching the surface of the lava while her skin had quickly melted into goo, indeterminable from the lava itself. As her muscle mass and flesh ultimately burned and less temperature resistant organs gave way, Dicana ceased her screams and movement. -5 (Damage token) Did I do that? The upper half of her torso remained above the water, floating in an unnerving state slowly to the shore. Roger had drawn his sword, both out of fear, in a desperately hopeless attempt to aid and a cruel sense of mercy and relief. The blade would not save her now.

Inwardly he breathed a sigh of relief. He knew he would be haunted by those sounds and that vision until the end of his days. But he had to survive to see them. He turned to his allies and took stock of the situation: Everyone had regained consciousness except for Rune. The expressions on their faces were haggard and stressed, worn and relieved. Apparently, Roger hadn’t been the only one who witnessed the event.

“Alright, uh.” He paused, suddenly feeling self conscious, suddenly realizing that his thoughts had been known through his actions. Were it not for the red light of the subterranean cavern, one could have seen Roger blush. He sheathed his sword. “Look, we’ve all lost someone.” He began, as he stared into Solennias eyes, Skrangolds, then Kitties. He tried to continue but was having difficulty. He just stared at Kitty, her smudged face so pretty, now showing so much more than the innocence it once held. It was perhaps that thought which gave him the strength to resume, “And I, I think we should get the hell out of here. The scorpions, the lava, this Rune guy and the girl,” he looked meaningfully at Kittalia, “are all dangerous. Don’t forget, we’re in the Prison. There’s no way we’re getting out of here if we don’t stick together and follow a plan.”

“We should bury Dicana.” Said Skrangold, his voice low, almost flat and entirely unrecognizable. Everyone had turned to see who’d spoken.

Roger turned his head back to the slow flow, Dicanas black, flaming skeleton was floating about 40 feet away from the edge. “Um, guy, listen. That might be a problem.”

“No, we should bury her. She would want that. Yes. Yes.” Replied Skrangold.

The rest of the party exchanged glances with each other.

“Think he’s cracked?” Kitty asked Roger.

“Er.” He started.

“Definitely” came Solennias reply as she rubbed her sore hindquarters.

Roger was thinking about what to do with Skrangold when the foul man suddenly bolted and headed straight for the source of the abysmal glow. He screamed wildly as did others as they suddenly realized that he didn’t appear to be stopping. “Dicana I’ll save YOU!” his delirious scream could be heard echoing through the cavern.

“Roger don’t let him-“ Kitty tried to shout but time was afforded them as Skrangold stumbled over lose ruble and began crawling towards the edge, a foot away.

Roger Apple leapt into action. He wasn’t the fastest guy around but he was fast enough and strong enough to manhandle the old man just as he reached for the lava. Skrangold began to kick and swat the air, almost as if he were trying to swim, as Roger lifted him into the air (with one hand). The effect was as if Roger were carrying a dog like a briefcase and the poor beast were trying to doggy paddle in an attempt to steer its’ direction.

Skrangolds eyes were wide, his tongue loping about crazily. The foul stench emanating from beneath his robes did little to encourage Roger to maintain his grip. He could tell that Skrangold had passed gas, apparently unconsciously and the wave of malignant stench forced Roger to drop his sword to cover his nose. It was then that he began swinging the man back and forth until once at a sufficient height, he let go, slinging his delirious companion forward several feet and onto the softer ground. Roger watched to see if he would move again but the man simply lay in a semi-fetal position, twitching periodically and muttering the name of his flaming queen.

“Ok. The odor here is strong. I don’t think it’s safe to stay around this stuff any longer. Also it’s really getting hot in here.” Kitty said.

“The magma melts the rock, often separating it into its’ constituent parts, each having differing melting points. During this process the materials with a lower melting point tend to separate from their more durable compatriots either in the form of a lighter liquid or a gas. That which you smell now is likely any number of metals filling the air and toxic to the human body. We’ll be dead within minutes if we stick around any longer. We need to find a place far away from here. Ideally up is the way to go with the heaviness of metallic gases causing them to linger on the ground.” Kittalia said as she heaved a deep cough.

Everyone turned and stared at her.

“What? Oh- right. Um. I read about it in a religious pamphlet.” Kittalia remarked sheepishly.

“She’s right, look!” Remarked the blue haired girl. Kitty’s hair had changed color presumably due to the interaction with the chemicals in the air. She pointed at the ground.

Roger noticed that he could barely see it. Thick white gas coiled about their very feet and He fumbled for his sword, trying to find it then in realization shouted, “Up, up! Everybody up! Someone drag the lunatic up if you have to.” He added but there was no need. Skrangold had apparently disliked the smell of the noxious fumes and sat himself upright during Kittalias’ monologue and was busy rocking back and forth on his haunches adding, with each rock, to the pre-existing fumes.

“One, two… We’re missing someone. Where’s that guy?” Roger queried.

There was a pause and then everyone began searching the ground all at once.

“He’s here, here! I’ve found him.” Solennia exclaimed. “Oh god, he doesn’t look good. Look at him.”

The dark skinned man was white, like chalk. He wasn’t breathing and if so, only barely.

“Is he…” Kitty started to say as she bent over him and placed her fingers over his pulse. “No, he’s still alive, just barely. He’s poisoned too. Look at those boils and blisters.”

“Hey, don’t forget me over here.” Kittalia weakly waved an arm.

“Maybe we should take his stuff? I mean, if he’s that close to dead why do we need him? Let’s just take his stuff and get out of here.” Solennia said.

“No…No. He saved all of our lives. If it wasn’t for him, we’d all be dead right now. Every last one of us. But…” Roger scratched his masculine chin in a pose he thought the ladies might like. “Maybe we should at least see what he has on him. He isn’t exactly using all that junk now. Maybe it can help us get out of here. But we keep him alive if we can. We owe him that much.”

There was a general nod of agreement and Kitty began to separate the belongings of the villainous figure. Roger watched as she separated each item. Nothing was proving to be of any particular use until she procured from his belt three vials, one red, one green and one light green. Roger knew, somehow, that they could help but not who.

“Ok guys. We’ve got three vials. Anyone able to tell me what they do?” Roger asked.

No one seemed to have an answer. Kitallia waved a black rod around and said “Heh, I can’t figure this thing out. Let alone what those things do. They don’t look purely medicinal to me.”

Rune began to move, his eyes flickered open for a brief moment, his body gave a short spasm.

“Oho, I know what THAT is. Ohohohoo, he’s going into uh, whatsitcalled? Shot? Shop? Yeah, something like that. He’s dyin.” Kitallia said in a manner entirely indicative of one who was not sober.

“#%! Is she drunk?” Roger exclaimed.

“No, I think it’s the poison. They’re both poisoned. He might be the same way if he were up.” Solennia added helpfully.

“Hmm” Roger started to say something, to make a decision. But just then was a gentle rumble followed by a sudden lurch. He stumbled, as did the others but managed to keep his feet. “Kitty, keep his head above the gas!”

“Oops, sorry!”

“Gas, gas, the wonderful fruit, the more you fart the more you poot. No, wait, that’s not it.” Kittalia began adding.

“Ok, you, girl.” Roger pointed at Solennia.

“My name is Solennia.”

“Ok, whatever. You’re magical. Do something. Help us decide which potion does what so we can figure out who to give them to.” Roger demanded. “Then we’re getting out of here.”

“I see two holes, one to the right, one to the left. They’re buttholes! Haha! Buttholes buttholes in a dish, how many pooty toots do you wish?” Kittalia rhymed. But she was right. There were two cave openings on either side of the party.

“Roger….look behind you.” Kitty said as she looked around to see what else she hadn’t noticed.

The strong man did so and sighed a heavy sigh. “Ok, we really have to make a decision fast.” Behind them, the river of lava had changed direction. The shift in the ground had been just enough to allow the liquid to seep over the lip of the edge and ooze its way towards the group and the rest of the cavern floor. Even as he began to react Rune began to convulse again, this time with foam coming from his mouth. ‘What the friggin hell!’ Roger thought. ‘Is this entire place just TRYING to kill us?

In the background, Kittalias ragged voice could be heard singing, "The fun will come out. Tomorrow. Betcher bottom pooter that tomorrow, there'll be fun..."

Matt lay on the ground unaware of the danger he was in. A shadow loomed over him. “It’s a shame you didn’t try to escape. The door was right there. Now, now you’re within my power.” The necromancer grabbed Matts unconscious body by the skull and dragged him through the hole in the wall the adventurers previous allies had recently passed. However, unlike them, the necromancer stopped at the door and opened it.

They entered, the two new acquaintances. Matt, unconscious with visible dents on his head and the Necromancer, garbed in velvet black robes, adorned with golden patterns and accessories.

The room was dark, too dark to make out details with human eyes. But all was visible to the powerful master of undead. He threw the still living body across the room, and while it still flung through the air, stopped it with some unseen force. His only visible action was a casually flicked finger. Matt dangled in empty space. And slowly began to move through the air. Over the Ebony desk laden with devices of only an immortal undeads eternal interest, past the black curtained stone walls emblazoned with mystical sigils, through a door which had been closed a moment before and now opened of it’s own accord and finally, into another room. Within: objects strange to describe and bizarre to the mind, clearly experimental devices. One, in particular was where he placed Matts body.

The contraption was an open cage with no walls; all needles and rings. Within was some form of undead, attached in ways via tubes. The Necromancer did the same to Matt. “It’s been a while since I have had living visitors. And this experiment has been a long time coming. Consider it ‘payment’ for you interrupting the silence of these past years. You will suffer for all of your friends. But take solace in the knowledge that you’re doing them a favor.” The Necromancer closed the doors to his chamber and began to work. -4

Status
Skrangold (Minion) 4 Health remaining.
Dicana Requiem (Main Villain) 0 Health remaining. DEAD

Roger Apple (Hero) 3 Health remaining.
Kitty Minx (Hero) 5 Health remaining.
Matt (Hero)4 Health remaining.
Pant A. Loons (Hero) 0 Health remaining. DEAD
Solennia (Hero) 6 Health remaining.

Kitallia Neveria (Misc) 5 Health remaining.Poisoned(progressed -2)
Rune (Misc) 5 Health remaining.Poisoned(progressed-4)

Ok, there you have it. I haven't explained this poison or how poison normally works. I'll leave it to you all to figure out. I'm not out of the woods yet! Also, several options here which you'll need to discuss. Who gets which potion? Which way do you go?

Oh yeah. Just because I said I was going to do this this chapter: Very Happy Great or Treasured My 2 Cents

Items list won't go up until potion use discussion is complete.

In additional to the above, these characters have access (if they choose) to the two special proficiencies near their names. Only can take them now. The opportunity won't last (although it may come around later).

Matt: Ghoul-touched (ability)- You slowly change into an undead and begin to acquire their traits. Unlike general undead transformations- you become more like a ghoul.
Cost: 120 Fables per rank. (That's right. Just imagine what it does for those fables)

Skrangold: Lunatic- You're stark ravin mad- at least sometimes. You're permanently immune to any traumatic effects and can keep a clear head in most any situation. Unfortunately, sometimes you just lose it at the absolute worst of times over the most trivial seeming things.
Cost: 40 fables per rank.

Roger: Leadership and Responsibility and Stuff- You've learned a little sumthin sumthin about leadership and responsibility and stuff. You go hero stud. (Boost allies active abilities by 1 per rank and allies active powers by 1 per two ranks. You select 1 ally (via pm or post) per 5 ranks. First ally is free.)
Cost: 80 ranks.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Last edited by Rune on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Hero Stud.

And another one bites the dust!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good good!

Lunatic it is, then!

Very Happy
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reminder: Special proficiencies are separate from regular ones. You may purchase UP to 3 ranks in the specials when you acquire them. Since it is also an upgrade opportunity, you receive 3 more upgrades which can be applied to any proficiency you know (even the special one). You may not apply the 3 ranks of a special upgrade to non-special ones.

Items won't get listed until who gets the potions is sorted out. The items will the the things that were within the chest Rune brought with him.

Maybe some other goodies as well. I'm feeling generous (just a little).

Upgrades, item purchases and another other expenditure of fables will
NOT be honored if a message is not sent with the payment. No message means I have no notice and no proof. Messageless donations will be treated as just that -donations.

Those purchasing skills need to be aware of the requirements. If it says to send a message or PM to make use of it- you might want to take care of it early so I can keep some of these ducks in a row and avoid confusion (like with Rogers special).

The Damage from tokens, votes, monsters and events will be increased to
5 for next update.

One villain remains.
Two heroes have fallen.

Story-related responses go in this thread. That's character actions, questions about events, upgrade statements, and so on.

Strategies, suggestions and things of that nature go in the here, in the Demise discussion thread located in the Open Forum.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, double post. Good stuff.

I redid the poll. I had left Matt on there when he had been completely incapacitated for an entire update+. Generally a character in such a state cannot be voted on. Anyone who doesn't participate during an update is generally not a target for a damage vote. So I had to remove your favorite punching bag from the list. Sad

In the exaggerated interest of unnecessary fairness, I left my own unconscious and poisoned character on the vote charts for this update. By the rules, he isn't even supposed to be on that list. But what they hey, I'm a sport. I've made my position clear but I figure I will give anyone who wants a shot at taking me out the opportunity. I know at least one reader wants to see what happens. Boxed

Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. *waggles finger*

That aside, all of you who voted will need to do so again. Not an action filled update this time but character development works, right? Even if the characters involved won't be around to develop into anything. :-p

Who knows, though. Next update is a wildcard so anyone surviving this update is 'virtually' guaranteed to not die next time- at least not from a damage vote.
Happy plotting.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say give the vials to rune, kittalia and matt

(o wait can matt have one hes not htere yet?)
Thaumaturgus

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Roger the orange, Kittalia the light green, and Rube the green, and see what happens. That is, unless someone can identify them first. But for some reason I'm suspecting the light green may be curative, and Kittalia needs that the most.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to suggest that Kittalia uses her wand on the potions to see if that determins their effects. Because just chugging a potion is a really stupid idea.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give all the vials to Skrangold. Yes, Skrangy knows about potions. Very Happy
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you, are crazy. Though some much more so than others.
We still need more suggestions (Chinaren...hint hint, Lili, Solus, and the rest of you readers with no characters yet).

Right now it is a four way tie. Skrangold gets them all, Rai dips her wand in them, Matt gives them out to those who seem to be in need, and Nene randomly gives them to each person who seems in need though she has to pick someone other than Matt to give one to.

I know there are some more opinions as to who should get which.

PS. I'll remind you again that you guys can decide other things as well. I don't want to say it all for you but it makes writing the story a lot easier and also more interesting if you direct your characters a bit more. You are, as Ne and Matt have done in the past, able to decide things they do. I am sure if Harley were playing she'd have stolen something by now. If Crunchy wanted to take a swim in the lava he could and if Kalanna wanted to try to steal the amulet piece off Rune she could. Heck, Roger might decide he wants to climb his way out of this mess, or go down the opposite tunnel as everyone else (I don't recall if I wrote in two cavernous tunnels or not). But these are things you all can and should be doing. As well as trying to kill each other. ^_^ If you don't give a direction, I make it up.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay =- skranny is my other choice.

as for what happens i say that those that are able to leg it do so taking rune (that fella would be usueful) and kittalia with them.. which cavern um the left one (that was a coin toss) and Kitty would be thinking that (apart from being distracted by Rogers new Qualities Wink ) they need to head upwards and matt would be on her mind for sure!

Loyalty! COurage! RUN!
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My views on things...hmm. Well, I can't really dictate about what the other players would do now.
Solennia doesn't care about personal disputes anymore. Anything that will keep her alive is her preferred option, so for the moment she will most likely stick with the others as her 'attacks' are really more defensive powers.

~Solus

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww...why do you all want to kill me? I havn't done anything to any of you.

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with only 4 suggestions on what to do with the potions and some non-specific, I'll be forced to decide who gets which. So unless you want me throwing a potion someone else could have used on a person you 'really' don't want to have it (not that you guys might not do that by accident anyway) then then get those suggestions in! Keep in mind, these are free. No fable cost for whoever gets the potions. And there isn't a single character out of the entire group who couldn't use at least one potion in particular. So, I'll leave you with that to chew on for a bit.

*munch munch*

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solienna annoyed me... GET HER!

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Potentially Resuming. Reply with quote

This story game is scheduled to resume between the twenty-fifth of May and the seventh of June. Players wishing to participate should post in this thread or PM me as they see fit. Players who are inactive or not interested in playing are likely to be controlled by me, and removed from play via an assortment of literary devices.

In the event there is not enough interest to resume this game, it will be terminated, I will declare a victor as per the details in the initial rules and we'll move on.

-Rune

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's been over a year! Well whatever happens, I hope Skrangold lives on, if not in this game then maybe the next.

Welcome back, Rune! Smile
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to technical difficulties, information pertaining to all of the characters is not retrievable in a timely manner. This incarnation of Demise will meet its own end.

There will be a final chapter though one more may come beforehand. All characters at this point are considered paid in full and my memory of abilities will have to suffice partly. PM's from those (who still care) wishing to preserve the integrity of their characters proficiencies are welcome.

No further upgrades will be purchasable in this game of demise. No further polls will go up. There will be at least one more death before or during the final chapter of Demise and there will be more than one survivor this time and this will not be due to player proficiencies. There will be multiple survivors in part because it has been a while since this game was last active, in part because of the loss of character data and in part because it is an excellent opportunity for those who still wish to participate in the Demise series later on with their original characters.

A new game will be promoted and made available to everyone, likely during the same time-frame given in the previous post. Barring an act of severe misfortune, my schedule and life permit me to finish the subsequent Demise.

Thank you, those of you who played. I enjoyed writing this first round of Demise and I believe that at least a few people enjoyed playing and reading it. I admit it was not the best writing but it certainly seemed and felt like fun to me. Going back through and reading the story, I cannot help but laugh at certain moments, descriptions and interactions.

So, time to close this poll (after being open for only a year) and give NSS one final show.

-Rune

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

latem5
Visitor

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: my character Reply with quote

i would like to join this game whenever possible ummm id like.........
hero :latem5
Personality:fun,outgoing,and determined
attrubutes:sexeh,daring,and he can talk to animals
Powers:hysteria, and ring of fire
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Janus
Visitor

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be around for the next version of the game. For me, it's good to start all over since I've lost attachment to my old character. I even have a new If account now.
Squakka
Visitor

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous, quite a show, ladies and gentlemen! I am quite amused in the gaming, and you, Rune, should be proud of your creation, your art of words has fascinated me. Such a creative concept, this game, worked into quite an entertaining story. I would be glad to join the next round. It would be quite an honor to be a part of the next Demise, I would even say. Good job. Reading this was fun and worth the time. now all there is to do is wait, while gathering Fables to be a good player.
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Demise: NSS- The End. Reply with quote

Demise: NSS- The End

Something was different. And even though that difference was sound, scent, feeling and sight, these faculties were now natural, innate, and so seemed not so much out of the ordinary. The difference was perhaps in mentality or world view. HE was different and his perception had changed. His skin, now cold in the grip of gray and rubbery decay was hardened and thick; the pink, fleshy tones now forever departed. His blood, for he still had some, ran cold and no longer was propelled by the rhythmic, comforting, beating of a soulful heart. Alas, even that miraculous machine had ceased its perpetual pacing.

With narrow, slanted eyes now black and shining like a star-filled night the new thing moved with uncanny and most certainly, inhuman speed into the darkness, scaling precipice, ledge and wall like a grossly over sized spider; clumsy and with precarious determination. Occasionally, its gray and dessicated tongue; shriveled and tightened into knots, would somehow find itself unfolded as if tasting the air. This, usually followed by deep, soulful sniffing would lead the creature in some new direction, or reinforce the one it was already following.

It turned its head; cold, dead eyes following something unseen to the human eye. With a silent leap into nothingness, the creature descended, landing on some platform hidden in the absence of light. There it waited, bent low, leg and arms spread wide, gripping with preternatural strength the rock edifice upon which it had descended. Down below he peered, eyes penetrating the darkness; ears, now grotesque anomalies, half ground into- half protruding from the sides of his skull and listening intently.

Yessss, it thought and something within quickened. Little people; warm, so warm he could feel the heat radiating from their blood were making their way through a cave. Something struck him as familiar for a moment but be quickly dismissed the thought and crawled further down his perch for a better view. One of the warm fleshy bags was holding something small and shiny and red, like blood. The creature shivered at the thought and continued to watch. There were only three of them, but he was sure there had been more. The one with the shiny red thing managed two more shiny things. This time both were green.

“Alright, let's just be smart about this. I'm sure that one of these is restorative. This guy wouldn't go anywhere unprepared. I figure that at least one of these is also designed to enhance his abilities or something as well, in the event of trouble. Just seems like something he'd have on him. So, the red looks restorative. The dark green looks like some sort of sorcery. You can have that one Solennia. We'll need whatever boost it gives to your power to get out of here. The light green one...I dunno. We see how these first two affect us and then worry about him,” the fleshy man bag was saying.

It couldn't resist. So close, their weak, soft, bodies. Warm, damp with faintly glistening sweat. And the words, the meaningless, useless words were irritating. Distracting. Noisy. But silence, he could make them quiet. One of them was already. Laying down, he would take that one for last, silence the loud ones first.

He made his move, quickly rushing down what was now a cavern wall, no longer a ledge.

“What was that,” the female inquired, suddenly alert.

The creature froze in place, statuesque.

“What? I didn't hear anything. Solennia, are you ok? I need you focused, alright?”

“Yeah, I thought I heard something above. I guess it was nothing. But still, after all those scorpions,” she left the sentence unfinished, hanging in air and shivered a little. “I don't know Roger. Something is different. Something feels wrong. Maybe we should go back the other way, with the others. That Kittalia girl shouldn't be on her own. We should have gone after her.”

He bristled visibly, then sighed, shoulder slumping slightly. “I know that we should have gone after her but we have to get out of here alive. Survival is the most important thing right now. Saving as many as possible. This is our best bet. I don't think the other cave is safe. The lava will spread and it looks like it will head down that path. A one way trip. At least this way we don't have to worry about the lava riding our backs. Also, if we have to come back this way, we can do so later and let the lava melt us a path. We won't starve as there is plenty of scorpion....meat...to eat and more than enough heat with which to cook it. This is probably the smartest move we could make. And if he wakes up,” Roger pointed a finger at the unconscious man, “We'll have significantly increased our chances of getting out of here. Did you see what he did to that axe? I don't know what the heck that was, but if he can do that, he might be able to get us out of danger again, or out of here.”

The talking man gestured to the woman and both opened their shiny colored things and drank. The creature moved now, steadily but with speed, careful on each step not to dislodge a thing, lest it give way its location and alert its prey. Left foot, left hand. Right hand, right foot. Repeat. Close now. So close, the perfect opportunity to pounce. It did.

Kitty Minx had been in sound disagreement with Roger over the best course of action. She was a smart girl and was under the impression that splitting up to explore both caves and return very quickly was the wisest. Let the unconscious people tough it out. Any danger they were in of dying wasn't much increased by being left alone or under duress for the span of a minute or three. It'd take even longer than that to suffocate someone. A quick sprint down each pathway and a sprint back to report the findings. Go with the safest seeming exit from there and take their chances. But Roger had been adamant about taking the other passageway, that this one was a death trap. Since when had he suddenly gotten so smart? He'd taken Rune and Solennia had gone with him.

Kitty didn't want to leave Rogers side. With Matt gone he was her only link. Still, she had to do what was logically sound. Including, she thought oddly, stop dying her hair. It had turned a hideous brown; a result of the chemicals she'd put in it to make it so fun and exciting before. But those days seemed far behind, long gone and further still with each passing hour. She'd follow her plan, return to the entrance to tell Roger if her path was safe. If she could find him. If...she could go back and wasn't blocked by the lava.

Then, as if on cue, a hissing sound, thick and caustic made itself known. Kitty turned her head and the corridor was illuminated with reddish orange light and then, its source. The lava was moving her way and faster now than it had before. Why? Kitty shouted ahead, “Kittalia, Skrangold, the lava's coming this way. We have to move faster.”

Kitty hurried ahead to catch up to the two mentally unstable individuals. Skrangolds odor was the least of her concerns right now, though it was still fighting to make itself important in spite of the dire events. Skrangold was moving slowly, walking casually and muttering to himself. In fact, he was walking in circles. Kitty grabbed him by the shoulders and shook.

“What the hell man! Snap out of it!”
He didn't. Instead, moving towards Kittalia, the bleary eyed, intoxicated and stumbling assassin, he lunged for her, grabbing her arms and pleading, “Dicana? Dicana? Are you Dicana?” The revolting man groveled at Kittalias feet, licking them, rubbing them and muttering all the while. “Oh mistress, mistress. Where did you go? You were gone so long. So...very long.”

Kittalia stumbled away, towards the lava, oblivious to the glow, her mind warped by the poison that had infiltrated her system and robbed her of her faculties. She tried to place one foot in front of the other and failed, falling to the stone floor. Crawling away, leaving Skrangold behind, she came to rest against the wall, some lucidity clearing the mist that had fogged her vision literally and figuratively. Kitty moved to her side.

“Are you ok? Are you feeling better?” asked Kitty.

“I, I think so. I'm just weak. I...,” the assassin paused a moment, closed her eyes and then reopened them, “I'm exhausted. But I think that if we can get out of here, I'll make it. I just have to concentrate really, really hard to keep my wits about me. Is that lava?”

“Yeah. It is and it's moving fast. We'll have to get moving quickly and stay ahead of it,” came Kitties reply.

“Dicana!” came Skrangold scream.

The two girls snapped their heads in his direction, expecting him to be looking at one of them but his vision was elsewhere, distant beyond them. Turning their heads to follow his gaze they saw it then and the danger it brought. The black flaming skeleton was silhouetted against the orange-red of the lava which was flowing more copiously into the corridor. Leading it like some unholy queen was Dicanas charred remains, still protruding above the lava.

Skrangold stared for a moment, eyes wide, mouth agape. He was thinking, rationalizing, who knows? But something in his mind registered sanity or lost control of it completely. The result; that he quickly reached into his robes, hands revealing, a moment later a small vial, clearly one of his explosives- and hurled it. Hurled it at Dicanas remains and missed. The bottle struck the wall, the explosion reverberating through the corridor, shaking everything.

Rubble began to fall and a great groaning sound stated that the rubble would not cease and that larger things were to follow. Kitty began to stand as Skrangold bolted far into the depths of the cave tunnel. Kittalia was slower to rise but it was of no use. A moment later the cavern ceiling came down around them.

“This isn't so bad. In fact, I think I feel the effect taking over me now. I feel lightheaded. This is probably going to be pretty strong, whatever it does”, Solennia said.

“Yeah, I feel great (health+4). But maybe we should have given Rune one first? In case something bad happened to one of us from these like Kittalia said? Oh well, we know these solid colored ones are good.”

But Solennia was silent and staring. Something had caught her attention. Roger turned his head to see what it was and noted that Rune had sat up. He was conscious. But what held Solennia so transfixed was twofold and it would take Roger a moment to understand one of them. He'd never get the opportunity to consider the other.

Behind Runes propped up body came a ghastly figure, deformed and familiar. It leaped in the air as if in slow motion, turning like a dog in mid jump to change direction. Roger was caught completely by surprised as the creature slammed into his chest, sending them both to the ground. Roger dropped his sword and the light green bottle rolled from his fingertips across the cave floor. He struggled, using his impressive strength to fend off this newfound foe, managing, briefly to push the head back away from his face only to make the horror more real.

“Matt?” he asked. As the creature bit down into Rogers hand. And instead of letting go, it chewed, jerked and ripped. Roger screamed the pain of sudden agony. As the creature that had once been his friend went for his neck, Roger thrust his arm forward to protect himself only to retract it at the last moment as he realized he'd lose another hand. The wound to follow was dangerous. Rogers mind was racing, he screamed Solennias name. Called for her help and thought to gamble, taking the potentially deadly bite to use his free hand to reach for his sword. What he couldn't know was that Solennia wouldn't be helping him. That she was in fact correct about the power of the poison of the dark green vial. That she could, in fact, feel it's power running through her and working quickly. Indeed, Roger would never know that Solennia was dead before he even saw the ghoul, the fast acting poison leaving her rigid as stone.

But Roger did know that his sword was nearby and that he had mere moments to reach it for this creature, was his equal and then some in strength and durability. He wouldn't be able to withstand much further assault. Less so without one hand. Roger fought back, pushing, shoving and most importantly twisting his body to try and avoid the elongated, gaping and bloody maw of the best which now sought to consume him. Alas, the hilt of his sword. It would end now with one final thrust to the head.

He grabbed, noted it felt strangely odd and thrust at the ghouls head. He knew the creature would be waiting for this, would probably open its mouth to accept it. In deed, it did. However, Roger hadn't anticipated the sword to break, or be made of stone. Stalagmite? Oh no.

Rune was bleary eyed. He felt terrible; nauseous and as though he was on fire. He'd been drugged before, heavily. Many prisons used that as a means to keep him from escaping- for a time at least. But he'd devised methods to surmount such tactics and in light of recent events, he had put this particular skill to use now. He was awake, conscious and straining and exhausted. He watched and listened, noting Solennia standing ahead of him, completely vacant, frozen in place. Dead. He knew that effect. Knew it well enough to check his person immediately. He was stripped of his belongings. His belt. Gone. He looked about, cast his eyes for any sign of something familiar and then noted the struggle. The gleam of silver feet away from Roger and what appeared to be some slimy, gray thing.

Rune stood up, eying what he sought. Laying on the ground, a light green vial. He approached the ghoul as the struggling of it's nearest meal ceased. The creature turned, looked at him, the fragments of skull, brain and fingers dangling from its mouth. Rune stared it in the eye, recognizing its features as the one left above and bending down, slowly, picked up the vial, coughed, opened the lid and sipped, cautiously of its contents. The ghoul turned as if to make him it's next meal but after licking its lips seemed to have the idea that a meal was right there already and resumed its fresh course. Turning his back to the creature and having nothing to do with the dead, Rune closed his eyes, concentrated what was left of his energy and vanished.

Time passed, the dust cleared somewhat, the air grew difficult to breathe. Kitty opened her eyes, could hear moaning. She stood up, realizing that she must have fallen. She approached the sound of the moaning and saw, to her dismay, Kittalia pined beneath boulders that were not being moved save by geological activity or magic. She cast about for Skrangold but it quickly became obvious that there was little room to cast about for. Seven feet, maybe nine separated them from the source of the heat and their cause for sweat.

A lake of lava, ever-growing on one side, an equally insurmountable mountain of boulders on the other. Between the two, a thin strip of land leading to the walls and Skrangold no where in site. Kitty and Kittalia looked at each other.

“I...I can make it so you don't feel anything. If, you want. You know. I have magic that might work like that. If I try really hard”, Kitty said to Kittalia.

Through coughs and sputtering, each filled with foaming blood, the assassin nodded. “Yeah, I'd like that. You know, I never shoulda signed up for this. I knew this was bad news from the start. Something in my gut..or, at least it was when I had them”, she smiled grimly.

Kitty tried not to look down. Instead she cast a spell, her final spell and perhaps, most spectacular; a final illusion, a flight of fantasy so real it would defeat, for a while, the burning, scorching end that was soon to come.

Status
Skrangold (Minion) Survivor
Dicana Requiem (Main Villain) DEAD

Roger Apple (Hero) DEAD
Kitty Minx (Hero) DEAD
Matt (Hero)Survivor
Pant A. Loons (Hero) DEAD
Solennia (Hero) DEAD

Kitallia Neveria (Misc) DEAD
Rune (Misc) Teleport Spell.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Last edited by Rune on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Janus
Visitor

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ending is well-written. I'm not only saying that just because I'm a survivor Very Happy but because even after a year you were able to create a clear vision of each of the characters and their individual feelings at facing their ~demise~, mainly the two Kitt characters. You took Matt in a far more interesting direction than I could think up. Now I have to learn from the way you described his hunger scenes, for whatever comes up in the next version of Demise. But now I guess we have to sit and wait for the new thread and new rules.

Last edited by Janus on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Squakka
Visitor

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a marvelous ending ^^ I'm not a fan of death, but, as death is the point of the storygame, it was beautifully executed (no pun intended xD). I especially enjoyed the death of Kitty and Kittalia, which is funny to say, because I liked them. It's that Kitty showed real character in giving comfort to Kittalia in their passing, in what seemed to be something beautiful of an illusion. Touching, it truly is. Also, the Matt part was horrendous in mood, which made it a good part of the story, because of its foul tone. this finale is wondrous
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Skrangold lives to fight another day. That's two RP stories he's survived!

Good stuff good stuff!

Thumbs Up
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, glad you enjoyed it.

A new one is up in the new storygames section. Go check it out. Demise: Midnight at Prospero's Abbey, features new concepts, new skills, new dynamics and overall, a general change of functionality while still managing to play out like this, the original.

As there were multiple winners of the first Demise, the prize will have to be different than I had originally planned. The winners may post suggestions for solid prizes here. There will be a 'hall of fame' or something to that effect once I can work it out, to congratulate the winners more officially and for all to see.

Also, there is a fable reward (which is split) based on the amount of fables it cost me to make my own character. I'll attempt to calculate that sometime soon and allocate the amounts appropriately.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: