Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQ Issue #28

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: IFQ Issue #28 Reply with quote

Bringing you the news the old fashioned way!

IF Hits 6 years!!

Its hard to believe that our great King Key, founded our great city 6 years ago, and all the changes and transformations that have been made since. To our King Marcus Kevanus: The citizens appreciate this great city that you have made for us, a place where we can create and play Storygames, enjoy the worldwide company and friendly atmosphere, and improve our writing skills. We are all very gratetful. Congrats Key and our Fair city for making it to 6 years!

The City gets a New Newsfeed

After much rioting outside the Royal palace, our benevolent King, aided by BStheGreat added a RSS Newsfeed to the site. Now, don't be mistaken - this new feed doesn’t replace the IFQ! But even this Editor was a bit confused on it, so His Mayorness Smee has graciously provided his wisdom on how it works :

'For people with many forums/websites to visit on a daily basis, RSS news feeds are a way of keeping up to date with them all without having to visit them manually.

You can set up a RSS page, which is linked to all the seperate forums and the feed will give you links to, say, the top 5 most recent posts on each one. If any of the posts interest you, you click them and off you go. You can only do this though with websites that have RSS enabled, which IF now does.'

The RSS can be accessed at the top of the page right next to the log out link and customized to show what forums that you want to see and can be much easier than trying to go back through a full week of posts.

3 Way Fight to Spotlight

7 stories qualified for Spotlight in January but only 3 dared to enter the arena. Biv Wacked by Klafarius, after taking a beating last month remerged as a contender but would have to face off against The Liar, the Snitch and the Wardrobe by Shady Stoat , and Symphony's Requiem by Emperor. The voting was tight right up to the end, so close in fact that his Kinglyness Key was called upon to break the tie.

Congratulations to Emperor who takes the January Spotlight and has pride of place on the city's Home Page.

Competition Fever Continues!

The IFQ has gotten word that Sky Island competitiors are still killing their way to the finals. Help stop the blood shed by making your vote heard.

Shady Stoat has put her Fables where here snout is and coughed up an undisclosed amount to the winner of the very popular Prompt Plus competition. The Prompt Plus challenged Ifians to include as many prompts as possible in their entry and then add to the challenge for their fellow entrants. D-Lotus emerged the Winner, claiming a heavy bounty from the treasury in addition to Stoaty's payout, as Lebrenth picked up 500F for a strong 2nd place finish. Congratulations to all entrants!

Symphonys Requiem by Emperor
Leif was doing just fine dealing with the loss of his closest friends. The solution was easy - a dark apartment and prolonged exposure to alcohol. That was until the day he woke up in a cemetery, met a woman named Symphony and found himself being harassed by a man named Tetra.
Voted Spotlight Competition Winner February 2010
IQ Classifieds: Advertise your Storygame!
Contact Kang for more info

State OF IF Address

As our city has made it to 6 years, what better time for the mayor to cough up what he knows about the city's future. Good job an interrogation er... interview had been arranged for such an occasion.

IFQ: What new ideas or plans do you have for IF for this year?

Smee: This is a deceptive question. There have been quite a few changes to IF recently, but few (if any) are my ideas personally. The city reorganisation was prompted by ideas from Thunderbird. The new IFQ is the work of Kang, the new RSS feed the work of BStheGreat and Key, and the Prompt-plus competition, one of the most entered competitions in IF history, the sole work of Shady Stoat. Ideas and plans for IF come from YOU.... the people enjoying the city. Crunchy and I are just here to help set things in motion where needed.

So for the coming year? Our PM boxes are always ready and waiting for the next idea someone might have.

~

IFQ: Were there any ideas used that did not work to perfection?

Smee: I can't say anything ever works to perfection. It's not an easily quantifyable scale. I believe all the ideas and projects implemented recently have made the City a better place, to greater and lesser scales. Everything from removing invisibility cloaks, to Crunchy's tireless efforts keeping spammers at bay has contributed to a more focused and productive City. The new tidier frontpage makes a more understandable impact to new members, and directs them to some of the best storygames straight away - one of the better changes in the city.

~

IFQ: Has Spotlight worked as well as you hoped it would?

Smee: Spotlight is in it's early days, and I like how it has contributed to some changes to the front page allowing our winner pride of place. The idea of using excerpts (piloted in the 2009 IFY awards) for the poll has helped new readers find a storygame they might have otherwise missed. It also makes voting easier, as the new rules mean you don't have to have played the Storygames to vote. There were encouraging amounts of votes in the first competition.

The process of removing the New Storygames forum and using stickying to highlight the good and active storygames is also working very well I feel.

~

IFQ: Where do you see IF in the next year?

Smee: That comes down to you guys again. IF will be as successful in the next 12 months as everyone who takes part makes it. The more you visit, comment on storygames and contribute, the more productive and fun the city will be. Hopefully, we'll see a busy and fun IF in 2010.

Favorites Expiring

With the new year and now February coming to a close it seems the Idearium slaves of OF have been revolting because the faves have been expiring and not getting renewed. Here's a reminder on how to use the favorites.
(from IFQ Issue 26 November 2009)

Finding the favorites

Have you ever had it where you found a real good Storygame and went back later and struggled to find it again? Well you don’t have to anymore.

You can bookmark it as a favorite! Here’s how:

At the top of every Storygame there is a link that says “Add to my favorites” clicking this will allow you to track this story in your favorites and avoid all the red tape of searching for it!

You can track your favorites as well as see how many others have that story as their favorite by clicking on the “Favorites” at the top of the page. Please note that the favorites are reported in the IQ (either in the Top 5’s or in the Metro News section) so if you want a story to get a little Notoriety make that bad boy one of your favorites!

The story will stay in your favorites for 28 days unless you renew it as a favorite (so authors if you see your favorites count dropping don’t hesitate to remind your readers to re-add your story or take out an ad to help boost your numbers and get maximum exposure!)

Note: Authors that have their own forum will have their favorites renewed automatically providing they post a new chapter within 28 days.

Resio and Tikkani Corazon lead the top 5 with Sparklesteps and Sector 17 each with 3 faves while Give me by Chinaren, entering its last chapter hangs in with 2, along with our featured Spotlight winner Symphonys Requiem by Emperor and Made in Taiwan by Lebrenth.

City Gets older and wiser with a new news feed as competitions continue to rock on.

External Classifieds: Want a link to an external website?
Contact Kang for more details.

Census and Economy:

The ASS reports that Dead weight rose to 7.7% as the population has increased by 42
Notable additions or returns : Spaceponi, Sugar Plum F, Jess1561, Fawx, Revenant, phaze and LadyBlue Welcome to the City!

Happy IF Day!!!!:
We had 11 that had an If-day in February most notably Key ( which also includes the city itself) hitting 6 years and ethereal_fauna for 5 years. To see who else had an IF day and for previous IF Days check out our If day Announcement page.

Fatback Index (FBIA)
Prompt Plus gave the treasury a reason to pay out some dividends as the Index gained 16.03 (+.74%) to end this months session at 2194.22

See News Happening??? Contribute to

Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent IFQ Kang, especially without having easy access to a PC at the moment.

Very Happy
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. An interesting report.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great IFQ, Kang! Smile

And it's also good to know that, even if it never happens again, that there is a record that shows, that one of my SGs was once top of the Favourite Storygames leaderboard! Even if it is because there is virtually nobody around right now! Wink

Sugar Plum F
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An enjoyable read. Smile

Quote:
The story will stay in your favorites for 28 days unless you renew it as a favorite

Is there any way we could make that time longer? I know that it is the ones that haven't had much activity that I have a hard time finding. It would be really great if I could find one of the great stories that I haven't checked up on in over a month. I would prefer the favorites expiring every 60 days or so. I think that gives enough time for you to get back to it but it won't be on your list too long after you've lost interest in that story.

Thanks for thinking about it. Smile
Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something is that is beyond my control I am not the mayor im just the editor. the Better stories are stickied at the top of each forum so you can read those at your convience how ever you can mark them as a favorite and come back to it . you do get an email telling to that that story you have marked as a favorite the time period has expired. other than that any issues dealing with the time constraints can be directed to Smee, Crunchyfrog or Key
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: