Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Election April 2010

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Election April 2010 Reply with quote

Hey everybody!

It's that time of year again, time when our six-month term of Mayor is up for grabs.

Smile

Our illustrious Mayor Smee has decided to run for re-election. Last election he won unanimously (which, perhaps, was not unexpected given that he was unopposed Wink)

If you are interested in competing for the Mayoral Crown, post here in the next few days. Otherwise we will give another Huzzah to Mayor Smee...

Here are traditional rules governing this and all Mayoral Elections at the City:

1. Anyone who wishes to run for Mayor must announce their candidacy publicly, in this thread.
2. Please do not run unless you are serious about being Mayor. I am not going to disqualify anyone by age or past history, but I do require that anyone who runs makes a commitment to take their office seriously and serve out their complete six-month term.
3. Assuming we get more than one candidate, then for at least one week after the end of the announcement phase, voters will have the chance to ask candidates their views on any issues related to the governance of the City. Candidates are welcome to respond as much or as little as they want. If the discussion is still active after a week, I may extend the time. At some point I'll call for the vote.
4. The first round of voting will go for four days. At the end of that time, if one of the candidates has a majority (>50%), that person is our Mayor.
5. If none of the candidates have more than 50% of the vote in the first round, there will be a runoff between the top two vote-getters, for four more days.
6. Anyone who has posted on the site at least once (including the candidates themselves) is eligible to vote.
7. No person may vote more than once. If you have multiple identities in the City, you can only vote with one of them. Anyone who violates this rule will be severely punished.
8. The Mayor will serve for a term of six months, at which time we will have another election.
9. The Mayor may be removed from office only for high crimes or dereliction of duty, at the discretion of the King.

Below are a list of all the powers and responsibilities of the new Mayor:

- Creating a new forum for the winner each time there's a Spotlight.
- Disbursing fables for all prizes, including Spotlight, linear stories winner, completion of storygames, etc.
- Setting tax rates for the forums if applicable
- Forcibly collecting taxes from those who don't pay voluntarily
- Moving storygames to the Hall of Stasis when finished or when they go on hiatus, and back when they're back off hiatus
- Warning, banning and deleting inappropriate/spam comments and users as needed
- Bestowing custom ranks when paid for.
- Creating new groups and forums as needed
- Selecting new City Council members and moderators if and as needed
- Setting configurable forum options, such as inbox and signature size
- Managing the money supply, including setting how many fables are awarded for what activities.
- Chairing Council and Citizen discussions on City issues
- Being the path of escalation if a citizen is unhappy with a moderator's actions or decision.
- Mediating disagreements between citizens

Please ask if you have questions about the election or the Mayor's job.

Happy electioneering!
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, I'm a glutton for punishment (and cake) and will be looking to go on for another term. Very Happy

~

Given some of the recent changes in the city over my last term, I put it to our equally illustrious King, that there could be considered a couple more Mayoral duties these days... namely :

- Identify Storygames that qualify for Spotlight competitions.
- Setup, and run Spotlight competitions (or assist the council in running such) at appropriate times.

~

Happy Playing Smile
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I am quite satisfied with Smee's benevolent dictatorship. Wink
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another illustrious citizen of this fair city (though, truly with one foot in the grave) I'd have to second D on the whole liking the beneficial dictatorship. The Smee-Crunchfrog duo doesn't leave much to be desired.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst being mayor is on people's minds... I'll bring it to attention now.

Assuming I'm still mayor to do so, I will be stepping down in the autumn election, 5-6 months from now.

Come September/October, the City will need someone else to take the helm and keep it on a steady course (possibly with their own Deputy mayor). I just thought I would give a heads up to those people who might consider going for it. And I would advise you to give it a go. It's a sometimes hard, but often immensely satisfying job.

Don't be put off because you think you're too new to the city, or don't think you're technical minded enough to play with the Mayoral toolbox without causing devastation in the streets. Razz

There is no onus on you to make sweeping changes unless you want to, and a wealth of guidance and support available to you, (including a private area where you can ask questions and get advice from all previous mayors) to help you plan and think how best to get things done.

The city needs you!

~

Over the coming months, anyone who feels they might want to give it a go, but have some questions/reservations, feel free to approach myself or Crunchy and we'll answer any questions you have.

My ultimate aim will be to leave the city in energetic and enthusiastic hands, ready to take on the challenge of keeping the spirit of IF burning bright.

Cheers Smile

P.S Don't assume from this that I don't have any plans for the summer here on IF. Quite a massive addition will be coming to the city soon, which I'm hoping will cause quite a stir. Look out for more information "soon" after the election. Wink
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the April 2010 election, as Smee is standing as a candidate for one more term, I won't be throwing my hat into the ring this time. If he wins I'll be continuing with the jobs he delegates to me as Deputy Mayor. Smile
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, with there being no challengers, I hereby declare Smee to be Mayor for another term.

Congrats, Smee!

Cheers
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*chuckles*

Cheers Key Razz
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Topics: 59

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Long live SmeeMayor and his dynamic Duo-ess, Crunchyfrog! Razz You two REALLY make a lovely couple. Very Happy
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: