Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Heavy Metal - Chapter 10: Big Brother

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Skiffiville - Science Fiction and Experimental SGs -> Heavy Metal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Heavy Metal - Chapter 10: Big Brother Reply with quote

Heavy Metal
Chapter 10
Big Brother

Hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of people have experienced the power of holding a handgun in the palms of their hands, adrenaline coursing through their veins, a feeling of command and power over any who dare oppose them.

And perhaps as many have experienced the sheer terror of staring down the barrel of one, their knees wobbling, their lives flashing before their eyes, knowing that a bullet lies at the end of that dark tube, one with their names spiritually inscribed upon its lead surface, a bullet prepared and ready, in that very moment, to whisk them off into their eternal afterlives.

Though he knew these weapons aimed at him were carried by Federal law officers who would most likely rather not have to fire them, they nevertheless delivered the full impact of their threats onto Walter Steele.

Walt was much less concerned about the death they might offer, and far more about the impediment they now represented. An injury would put an end to this flight… and that was completely unacceptable.

Before he could think it through, Walt was reacting. He turned and leapt inside the capsule that awaited him, beckoned him to step inside for the journey he’d been waiting for his entire life.

Ignoring his body’s acute complaints and aches, he twisted as rapidly as he could and shut the hatch behind him, cranking down the locking mechanism tight.

Now, even the void of space could not invade his fortress.

“Damn!” cursed the shortly cropped blond agent who reported something into the underside of his wrist.

The dark-skinned Suit waved at the thinner agent, motioning him into the barn, “Go get Mr. Luke before he gets away, Danforth!” Spinning, he leveled his pistol at Betty who rose, albeit with a defiant glare, from her seated position on the porch steps. “Stay right where you are ma’am.”

Nodding, Danforth dashed into the barn and within moments, those outside heard his nasally voice shout, “Come out from behind there with your hands up!”

A muffled, “Shit” soon followed.

Johnson, the larger agent, motioned for Betty to move towards the barn, “I need you to join the others ma’am.” Then he hollered into the yawning mouth of the barn entrance, “I’m having Mrs. Steele come to the barn so you can keep watch over both of ‘em while I see what I can do about this ship before it takes off!”

Agent Johnson watched Betty amble off to the barn as Danforth dragged Dave, handcuffed and quivering in terror, into the sun. “Get on your knees, both of you,” Danforth commanded.

Once he was certain the captives were kept under sufficient vigilance, Johnson turned and strode towards the craft, which sat in the middle of the driveway looking like an imposing giant hourglass.

Reaching the hatch, he holstered his weapon and stretched down to twist, flip, turn, pull on whatever he could get a handle on. His efforts were to no avail however, which ended in his standing and kicking the hatch in disgust.

Pulling his weapon again, he trained it on the portal and shouted, “Come outta there Walt or I’ll blast my way through! I don’t want to have to…”

pssssssst… suddenly emitted from a speaker from inside the barn, causing Danforth to visibly jump. The agent glanced over his shoulder seeking the source of the static.

“Go ahead an’ try it! I dare ya!” blared a crotchety old voice over a crackling airwave. “’Course, if NASA’s done their job right, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t get far anyhow. Ya might succeed in bouncin’ a bullet back atcha though.”

Johnson scowled, turned and marched off into the barn, waving Danforth to stay put watching the captives. Danforth nodded as the larger agent moved for the makeshift mission control panel.

From the middle screen of the three staring back at Johnson from this desk, Walt smiled and waved through the cockpit webcam, chuckling to himself. The right and left screens displayed the exterior of the craft, both trained on the barn and the captives. “I see you,” Walt taunted.

Apparently in no mood for this, Johnson scoured the desk in search of some sort of microphone device, scattering papers and pens as he searched. “There’s a wireless headset on the chair behind you,” Walt assisted.

Furiously shoving the headset over his ears, Johnson growled, “We have the other two Walt and they WILL be arrested. If you try to take off, we WILL shoot your ship so full of holes it won’t even be SEAworthy!”

“Alright, alright,” Walt waved his hands in a gesture to calm things down, “Don’t getcher panties in a bunch. Let’s talk a bit first, shall we? If I’d wanted to launch immediately, I probably already could have. An’ I don’t think yer bullets woulda done much good ta stop me ‘neither.”

Walt may have been bluffing but even he didn’t know if the bullets could cause much damage or not. He supposed it depended on where the projectiles struck.

“So what exactly crawled up yer ass an’ died then?” Walt asked irreverently. “Why’re ya causin’ trouble here?”

Walt acted like nothing had happened earlier to warrant any sort of arrest, but then, if these agents had been here to visit Betty earlier that day, could this have anything at all to do with the stolen fuel incident… or something else entirely?

“Causing trouble?” Johnson said incredulously, “You would accuse US of causing trouble? No, Walter, I do believe it’s trouble we’re here to avert.”

“Whaddaya mean?” Walt asked.

“You have absolutely no idea about the ramifications of what you’re about to do, do you, Walt?” Johnson stated, a bit more diplomatically as he settled into the chair.

“What? Become the first private citizen to take a space flight? Hell, there’s a PRIZE bein’ offered for it! What could be the worst that could happen here?”

Johnson nodded thoughtfully, considering his next words carefully. “You’re not exactly a private citizen Walt.”

“What are you saying?”

“Have you forgotten the documents you signed when you were part of the space program?” Johnson presented some legal forms for the camera.

Walt paused and considered as he adjusted himself in his seat and twiddled with a few dials. “I remember signing some forms. We all did. What’s yer point? As I recall, there was nothin’ in there to say I couldn’t go doin’ nothin’ like this on my own.”

“No, you’re right, they didn’t specify anything against private space flights. That sort of thing was considered impossible in those days,” Johnson confirmed.

“Alright… so what am I guilty of then? What’re THEY guilty of?” Walt motioned towards the captives that Agent Danforth had brought up to stand behind Johnson at gunpoint.

Looking over his shoulder, Johnson took stock of the captives again. “Betty’s not guilty of anything but aiding the two of you. David Luke? We have some investigations yet to determine what HE might be guilty of… but you,” he turned back to the camera. “You are not guilty of anything YET. And that’s what we’re here to discuss with you Mr. Steele.”

“Must be a powerful urge towards discussion to come at us like this,” Walt grumbled.

“It was critical we had a conversation with you before you launched this craft,” Johnson asserted.

“Alright then,” Walt reiterated, “WHAT exactly do you want?”

“Walter Steele,” Johnson stated firmly, “The US government would like to remind you that anything you see or hear, interact with or experience while outside the confines of this planet is expressly the intellectual property of the United States government. We would also like to remind you that you have signed an agreement to keep such events secret to the highest levels.

We will be confiscating any of the footage you appear to be prepared to take while on your journey, and expecting you to maintain the secrecy you agreed to decades ago. The statutes of limitations on these agreements were expressly maintained as to span the entire length of your life.”

“That’s it? That’s all you had to say?” Walt muttered as he flipped some more dials on the control panel.

“Also, given the inherently dangerous nature of such a private space flight as you intend to undergo, the US government would like to further remind you that in the event of accidental death or dismemberment while on any spaceflight, your body shall become the sole property of the United States government, for purposes of any research we may wish to undertake.”

“So I’m not bein’ accused of a crime then?”

“Not yet, Mr. Steele,” Johnson affirmed.

“Why are ya holdin’ Betty then?” Walt growled.

“Because had you left without discussing these matters with us, you would have been presumed in the act of committing a crime. Your friend here,” he thrust a thumb backwards at Dave, “has been ensuring his blog followers around the world that footage of your flights would be published on the web, streamed in real time. Furthermore, upon investigation, we believe Mr. Luke will be charged with a plethora of crimes already, and you could just as equally be prosecuted for aiding and abetting in these crimes.”

“Ah…” Walt showed deeper understanding, “You’re after him for sharin’ secrets as well, I suppose?”

“Yes,” Johnson nodded. “But then, that just depends on exactly what he knows… and what he’s shared.”

“Uungh,” Dave groaned.

So… this isn’t about the Bouncer or the stolen fuel at least, Walt mused, but given time it will be. I’m going to have to get this show on the road before news gets down the wire to these goons.

“Alright, so the kid used some of his knowledge from Area 51 to help me build this thing. So what? Far as we can tell, it’s only using a fraction of what the original ship utilized in terms of technology… nothing we couldn’ta figgered out on our own. Even then, we had ‘ta build this with an experimental design to utilize the properties of what little he knew. It’s nothing like your captured vessel!” Walt insisted.

“We can tell that just by looking at it,” Johnson replied. “Nevertheless, his sharing any secrets from the base, including mere confirmation of the existence of the ship, is a capital offense, one which you are flirting with yourself, Mr. Steele.”

“Well,” Walt returned, “There’s a reason we hadn’t submitted our design to the X-prize yet. An’ so far as I know, the kid ain’t been postin’ any big Government secrets online… have ya Dave?”

“Hell no!” Dave shouted, “I haven’t shared anything I learned from Groom Lake with anyone but Walt! And I know he hasn’t been spreading it around.”

“Even that, Mr. Luke, has been an admission of a crime.”

“Aw, fuck,” Dave said as he held his cuffed hands to his forehead. “I didn’t learn that much to share really… they kept me away from the main engine drive for some reason.”

“I wonder why,” Danforth snapped. These background discussions filtered through Walt’s receiver faintly but enough to be understood. “Why did you seek to escape the base in the first place then?” Danforth inquired of Dave.

“Because the chemicals they were using there and the fumes from the waste disposal systems were fucking up my health and the President signed a law that said they could just go on doing it without reproach, that’s why!”

“That doesn’t mean you were given the right to share this knowledge,” Danforth stated.

“Yeah well…” Dave stammered.

“So that leads us to our next line of questioning Walt,” Johnson said into the receiver. “How does your little ship work? Can we be sure you aren’t going to be spilling radioactive waste across the state if you have an accident in flight?”

“Radioactive? Hah! Is that the most imaginative you spooks can get? You don’t honestly believe we could have gotten our hands on enriched uranium do you? ‘Sides, just cuz the Government can’t see beyond their monstrous little nuclear technopet doesn’t mean its citizens are stuck in that same narrow sighted tunnel-vision!” Walt roared.

“Ok, so… how does it operate then? It’s obviously no rocket,” Johnson asserted.

“Another concept your scientists are stuck in the box with. Dave, you wanna give ‘em the lowdown? You understand it better than I do,” Walt referred.

“Uh… aw hell, fine,” Dave stammered. “Simple really… It works on the basis of a physics anomaly that was being studied at the base by a team I’d been assigned to. Apparently when you mono-atomize gold, you get a substance that actually loses mass when heated and gains mass when cooled, and the ET’s seemed to have a keen understanding of how this could be used to create an anti-gravity effect similar to a sort of super-powerful hot-air balloon. So that’s basically what we’ve built.”

Johnson nodded, holding his hand to his chin in contemplation. “So you built a space-faring balloon?”

Dave continued, “Yeah, basically. And furthermore, it’s not like the properties of mono-atomic gold isn’t known in some scientific circles already, so our using this information to build us a unique ship shouldn’t be any kind of breach of ‘top secret’ information.”

“That will have to be considered by authorities higher than ourselves I think. Whether it was known by private scientists or not would seem irrelevant if you had not known that at the time you took otherwise confidential information and shared it with Walt here.”

I’ve REALLY got to get this moving before the shit hits the fan here, Walt considered. “I hate to interrupt this little pow-wow, but I must ask, why should any of this stop me from launching right now then?”

Damned bastards‘ll have any footage I get… good thing they may not be aware of the onboard recording devices. I’ll have to keep those disks secreted away before I return somehow… no doubt they’ll want to search the ship when I get back.

Johnson and Danforth looked at each other and shrugged. Johnson leaned back towards the camera and said, “Go ahead then, Mr. Steele. We’re not really here to stop you, per se.

Go forth, assured that the United States Government will be here to monitor your journey. However, we WILL be needing to debrief when you get back. Make certain that when you return, you do not try to get away from us. We’ll have our satellites tracking you by then and should be able to find you wherever you land.”

“So go ahead, Walter Steele, just keep in mind, Big Brother WILL be watching,” Johnson assured.

Walt harrumphed and nodded as Betty cried, “Show ‘em whatcha got Walter!”

“Alright then, enough with all the chin-waggin’!” Nodding with a wry smile, Walt flipped a switch on his control panel and the sound of flame igniting within the upper capsule of the Independent wooshed to life, burning louder and louder, roaring forth from the speakers in the barn, echoing inward from the craft outside.

“Do me a favor, spook,” Walt growled, “Put Dave in that seat so we can do the job we trained for.” As his request completed, Walt flipped his dark visor over his face.

The craft began to slowly lift from the gravel driveway, gently and deftly lifting into flight. Four tiny booster rockets, designed to guide the craft’s path in flight, rotated from the top ring of the craft and edged their miniature jets down towards the earth to aid in propelling the Independent straight up towards the sky.

Johnson nodded, his face showing some little awe in witnessing such an unusual craft successfully lifting off into flight as he passed the headset to Dave. Danforth paused Dave long enough to un-cuff the young man, offering a stern head nod towards the seat. “No funny business,” he reminded.

Betty turned to the Agents and snidely quipped, “Do you mind if I go watch my husband finally complete his life’s work?”

“Certainly ma’am,” Danforth said after being momentarily taken aback by her tone. He un-cuffed her and allowed her to walk to the edge of the barn.

She shuffled her way to lean on the barn door. Holding her hand above her eyes to blot out the sun, she gazed up at Walt’s ship as he gained speed floating up into the distance. A tear fell down her cheek as her heart welled with pride.

“Go get ‘em ya old coot!” she croaked under her breath.

~

Walt immediately regretted not having installed a camera underneath the craft so he could watch his house disappear into miniature obscurity in the desert. From his vantage, the best he could do was gaze out at a fading horizon line, which too, eventually vanished from all cameras.

He had taken off in helicopters many times in his life and the sensation was not dissimilar. There was absolutely nothing jarring or shaking or rocking in the launch, just a gradual lifting sensation of growing speed.

Heat radiated downward from the upper module, but Walt, in his suit, hardly noticed. The temperatures necessary to attain such heights were such that they flirted with melting the ceramic canisters the flames meant to heat, canisters filled with mono-atomic gold.

But the system was efficient and reused the fuel so sparingly, containing the heat so efficiently when it was meant to, that it required only a small fraction of his fuel capacity to reach orbit. The rest would be largely wasted in guidance rockets, the necessity for which was regrettably something they had not been able to find a way around.

Dave and Walt chatted about system functioning and the technical details of the launch as Walt rose higher and higher into the sky.

Before long, Walt began to feel a giddy sense of buoyancy. A rare smile split his face, making him glad to have his reflective visor covering his expression, as his body began to gradually lift against his seat restraints. His breathing started coming easier and it was as if his shoulders had never felt so free, such a weight had been lifted.

Walt wasn’t sure if this release was derived from his exhilaration from finally reaching space, or if it was more a matter of simply escaping gravity. He couldn’t remember feeling so young and free as he felt this very moment.

The sun, now looking more like the giant star it was rather than a gleaming torch, beamed happily down upon his face through the cameras, finally unhindered by atmosphere. Billions of stars surrounded him, each twinkling their heart wrenchingly beautiful welcome, more brilliant than he ever could have imagined. He cursed the screens for being his only portals to view the outside of the craft with the imperfect resolutions they allowed.

Now entering orbit, Walt felt free to adjust the Independent’s angle so that it would run parallel to the surface below. He swiveled the cameras to scan the surface of the earth, what could be seen of it through the brilliant clouds that gathered like swirls of cotton candy across the atmosphere. Already, his newfound orbit was propelling the ship at hundreds of miles per hour. The edge of Africa loomed near on the horizon, its shape familiar and welcoming.

As planned, Walt spent the next few hours circling the world below, continuing to elevate the ship, edging further and further into the depths of space. Within that time, he experienced two breathtaking sunrises, his heart pounding with excitement and glee with each rotation. He’d made it! He’d finally made it into space!

After all systems seemed to check out, and the gradual immersion into space finally achieved, Walt received notice from Dave, his face flickering back into view on Walt’s control panel. “Well, Walt, you made it,” the lad glanced nervously to his left and right sides where he was flanked by the Federal Agents. “Now what?”

“Hmmm...” Walt pondered. No sign of ET’s yet. But I’ll be damned if I give up the search for THEM just cuz these spooks are watchin’, Walt considered. Still, I need to figure out WHERE to take this baby so I might have a hope of findin’ em.

He panned his camera around to the moon. I could probably make it there an’ back, which would be a hell of an achievement in and of itself, but then I’m a bit lower on fuel than I’d hoped to be. Still, all the nights I’ve gazed up at her surface wishing I could have been a part of one of those missions… And maybe I could somehow test the theory that the thing is somehow artificial.

Scanning the camera back to the surface, he aimed one up at the North Pole and another towards the South. Then again, I’ve always wondered if NASA were hiding something about those locations… given all the rumors of strange things taking place at those sites and the questions raised by Admiral Byrd about the possibility that there could be some sort of gateway there to a hollow interior to the planet. Perhaps I could put some of those crackpot theories to rest.

Panning back to the horizon of the planet he wondered, Or maybe I should just search about in orbit for something. There’s been reports of all sorts of activity in this layer of Earth’s exterior. Maybe I could stumble into something right here.

“Whatever I do here is expressly in the interests of testing the capacities of the ship to explore space,” Walt assured the Agents in the screen, his voice hinting at a verbal eyewink to Dave. “There’s a couple of different tests I’d like to run, but I think I’ll start with…”

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...

Last edited by Thunderbird on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading that. I had honestly thought that perhaps Johnson and Danforth knew something about Bouncer and Thomas, but it seems this is now a different story, and the revelations about the ship's technology are very interesting.

Despite the agents' warnings, Walter is probably at his most carefree ever. Well, there are plenty of conspiracy theories about whether or not the moon landings were faked. I'd say head for the moon and see what's really there.

Thanks for an excellent read!
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you deeply for your kind words, CF... this is a pinnacle chapter in the tale, one I've been anticipating for some time now... and one I was very nervous to present for fear I might not write it as well as I could have hoped. I only pray I can present the next segment in Walt's journey as well as I feel this turned out... Mind you, having just read it through again I can certainly see some edits to be made.

Zephyrrr! And...
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far there seems to be a concensus on this but I'll still poll nevertheless... in a bit yet.

Zephyrrr! And...
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another brilliant chapter TB! Thoroughly enjoyed it, as always. Smile Sorry it took me so long to get around to it, but didn't want to risk becoming unfocused on my own chapter (having enough trouble writing it as it is, didn't want to take the chance and possibly have it take me another month to write it Wink)

My first instinct was to say the same as Crunchy, and for Walt to head to the moon. But I do actually like the idea of discovering the earth's own secrets, and the idea of a gateway into the hollow interior, put me very much in mind of Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Not that I want, or am expecting this to turn into a story about dinosaurs and the like, I just like the idea of possibly finding something unexpected down there. Wink

Just to be different, I'm going to have that as my choice. Do a little sleuthing into what secrets the government have been keeping on the earth itself.

Again, great chapter, and I look forward to the next one! Smile

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha... a voice of dissent emerges Laughing
Thanks for reading Tika... The longer tales seem to be suffering from greatly reduced readership these days. Each response is golden!

Zephyrrr! And...
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy am I glad you put such welcome effort into poking me about missing this.

A truly epic chapter, TB that I thoroughly enjoyed every word of. This story suddenly opens up wide, and I'm excited at the possibilities.

Before we get onto the meat, thanks for those most interesting links you included. I have heard quite a few moon theories, and indeed watched Mythbusters 'bust' quite a few of them (the flag waving in a 'wind' for one). But despite all that I had never heard of the idea it is hollow, and artificial! Shocked

Birdwatchers and such use hides to get close to their studies, but the moon as a 'hide' for ET's to watch us is very compelling a conspiracy, if rather far fetched. Razz

The article on the Monatomic Gold was also very interesting with only a brief scan. I shall read that in more detail soon.

~

Pinnacle chapter indeed, you've left us quite the decision point. Truly one of the great examples in decision point history, perhaps not for sparking discussion or debate, but for the fun possibilites.

A brief aside... I had to let out a customary English snicker at this line :

Quote:
The US government would like to remind you that anything you see or hear, interact with or experience while outside the confines of this planet is expressly the intellectual property of the United States government.

You Americans - haha. Laughing

~

Anyhoo - the decision point.

I don't think lingering around in general earth orbit will discover much. The American governments apparent ability at secrecy is impressive, but there's too many independent satellites out there these days, someone, somewhere beyond America's easy jurisdiction, will have seen something and it would have got out.

The same goes for the Poles. Google Earth and other such tools are too widely available to the masses for secrets to be kept too long.

So it's to the moon for me!

Happy Writing Smile
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Truly one of the great examples in decision point history, perhaps not for sparking discussion or debate, but for the fun possibilites.

Wow... strong words there my friend! Thank you!

Quote:
The American governments apparent ability at secrecy is impressive, but there's too many independent satellites out there these days, someone, somewhere beyond America's easy jurisdiction, will have seen something and it would have got out.

You presume any conspiracies regarding UFOs to end at the boundaries of one government? hmm...

Quote:
The same goes for the Poles. Google Earth and other such tools are too widely available to the masses for secrets to be kept too long.

Such images aren't outside the bounds of the control of those with great wealth, nor are they immune to 'airbrush' or other graphic manipulation techniques. On some images of the poles that I've seen, it almost looks obvious that such may have been done to these images.

Then again... he WAS slated to possibly go to the moon as an Apollo astronaut once before. The lure must remain strong for him, all UFO theories aside!

Zephyrrr! And...
Ingrothechundyer
Royal Arch-Mage

Topics: 63

Items
Legends
16601 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been an excellent read and I'm almost disappointed to be caught up and having to wait for more chapters Wink

Maybe it's time to go visit the ISS to document the well concealed fact that it is there solely to make it convenient for the aliens to meet with us. Who knows what wonders we can uncover watching the latest meeting between them and the countries up there Smile
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for catching up on HM Ingro! Much appreciated to have a new reader Very Happy

Love that you added another idea to the list there too... very nice!

Zephyrrr! And...
Jseme
Tourist

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
298 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made it through a few chapters already, but I'm working hard to catch up. I enjoy reading this and hope to be offering what I can in the near future.

George R.R. Martin, you are forever my hero.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Very Happy New readers are always more than welcome J!

Zephyrrr! And...
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just posting a quick nudge here... I have quite a few readers now and thank you to all who have been following along. However... seems I'm really confusing people with this polling on the last active chapter rather than the current active chapter bit. Sorry for that.

This poll is currently running and represents the next chapter. And I'm hoping to close it tomorrow so I can write on with more of Walt's space adventures.

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
24787 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm still confused!

I voted for "the Moon!" for Chapter 10 and I'm about to read Chapter 11.... So I'm getting the impression the story is split into two pieces, yeah? While we're polling for Ch.10, Ch.11 is written. After Ch.10's poll is done, Ch. 12 will be written while Ch. 11 is polling.... Is that right? If so, what an interesting idea! But I think it's too confusing for storygames.

Anyway, I'm enjoying our journey. I gotta say those links are wild. I bet life's a lot more interesting for people who believe in such huge conspiracies and mysteries.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the gist. It's sorta evolved into that without really intending it to but it seems to be working as long as I nudge the polls along Wink Basically, the most recent poll will almost always be up, awaiting your votes and most likely it will be in the chapter before the most current. It's been working for me as an author to have some time to muse over the poll result as I usually see it manifest an answer long before I have to write the next chapter. And it helps to know that what you're voting on now is the next thing I'll be writing on, rather than holding a poll then having to wait two chapters to see the next installment on that aspect of the storyline.

Zephyrrr! And...
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebrenth wrote:
I think I'm still confused!

I voted for "the Moon!" for Chapter 10 and I'm about to read Chapter 11.... So I'm getting the impression the story is split into two pieces, yeah? While we're polling for Ch.10, Ch.11 is written. After Ch.10's poll is done, Ch. 12 will be written while Ch. 11 is polling.... Is that right? If so, what an interesting idea! But I think it's too confusing for a storygame

That's how The Time Before ran for over 20 chapters Lebby... didn't seem to confuse people, you just have to make sure to keep everyone informed.

By the way, I've voted, even if my reminder PM was address to Tikky Laughing
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ug... How did that happen? This is why we need to be able to pm blast predefined groups! I nudged this thread with a post before I sent those out and... nothing. The PMs were an amazing contrast. (Thanks to all of your by the way!) So its become important to be able to PM alerts.

Wait... I think I have an idea as to how I can do that... hmm...

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
24787 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
That's how The Time Before ran for over 20 chapters Lebby... didn't seem to confuse people, you just have to make sure to keep everyone informed.

Oh yeah? Well that's good to know. It sounds like a nice solution for filling the lag between chapters.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
Ug... How did that happen? This is why we need to be able to pm blast predefined groups! I nudged this thread with a post before I sent those out and... nothing. The PMs were an amazing contrast. (Thanks to all of your by the way!) So its become important to be able to PM alerts.

Wait... I think I have an idea as to how I can do that... hmm...

You can buy a PM user group... to mass PM your regular readers. A mere snip at 1000 fables. Very Happy Donate them to the City of IF Treasury and then let me know... so the group can be set up.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Walt's finally in space! Where to now?
The Moon!
57% [ 4 ]
The Poles!
0% [ 0 ]
Stay to Explore Earth's Orbit!
14% [ 1 ]
Go Observe the International Space Station!
14% [ 1 ]
Author Vote
14% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, Ingrothechundyer, Lebrenth, PopeAlessandrosXVIII, Smee, Thunderbird, Tikanni Corazon

+1 more vote for the Moon from Tome.

We have a clear winner!

Zephyrrr! And...

OK, Walt's finally in space! Where to now?
The Moon!
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
The Poles!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stay to Explore Earth's Orbit!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Go Observe the International Space Station!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Author Vote
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, Ingrothechundyer, Lebrenth, PopeAlessandrosXVIII, Smee, Thunderbird, Tikanni Corazon

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Heavy Metal All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: