Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Is This Me? 004 - Sought

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> The Fantasy Forest - Fantasy Storygames -> Is this Me?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Is This Me? 004 - Sought Reply with quote

Sought

Pressing down on it's throat hard, it settles a little. Tensing as if to strike, the thing goes completely still. The two combatants stay like that for some time, before the boy slowly lowers his arm. The things' eyes stay trained on the rock as it comes down. Thoughts begin to slowly move about the boy's mind. 'I can see it, inside. Behind it. What...' Refocusing on the threat under him, the thoughts drift away. He feels a warmth beneath his hand. Lifting his hand, his eyes lower to the spot. Red, with Little tongues flicking out once in a while. 'Like Tarith, a light. A warm light.'

Looking back at the creature’s face, he whispers, “Warm”. With a sudden jerk, a cry tears out from the beast. The boy draws back, getting to his feet to avoid the beast claws as it begins clawing at it's own neck. A spurt of purplish liquid comes from around the beast's neck, The boy hears a strange sound coming from it's neck. Ducking between the flailing limbs, he sees something digging into it's flesh. Without thinking, he grabs for it. His fingers sink into the thing's flesh, causing it to cry out louder. The fluid coming from the beast sprays out, coating his lower arm. A flash of pain runs through the boy's head. 'It's the same, it feels the same. But as what? Where do I?' His fingers finally wrap around The object. It seems to be rotating under his fingers. The pain of it slicing through his flesh draws him out of his memories and back to what's happening now.

Yanking hard, he pulls the object free from the beast's flesh. Throwing it hard, it strikes a tree nearby, and with a whir, digs into the trunk. Ignoring it, his focus returns to the life beneath him. The scaled beast is coughing hard. Watching, he sees some of the liquid splatter out with each cough. Remembering swimming lessons in the stream, he grabs one of the creature's arms and tugs hard. Copious amounts of the purple stuff comes out of it's mouth. 'Liquid makes it hard to breath.' After a few seconds, it's breathing evens out a bit. The creature's eyes roll over to look at him. From within it's eyes, he can see it again. Something from a forgotten dream. From the direction of the house, the boy hears Tarith call. “Here,” he calls back. In mere moments, Tarith comes racing up. He stops dead, and the boys sees his eyes lock on to the creature resting right next to him.

Tarith takes in the scene in front of him. 'Dear Venaah, what in the world did I miss?' Seeing the boy covered it the beast's blood, he assumes it's dead. Stepping forward, the creature on the ground stirs. The creature lets out a low crackling growl, ending in a whimper of pain. “Hey, kid, you alright?” He watches the boy look himself over. Tarith feels himself panicking as he notices more and more injuries on the little one. The boy looks up at him, and says, “I am hurt, but I will live.” Tarith nods.

Several times, the kid had cut himself, and just let the blood flow until Tarith noticed. After the fifth time, Tarith had sat him down and explained how he could end up like the fish and other animals he catches for food if he lets too much blood out of his body. The boy must have taken the lesson to heart, because after that talk, whenever he got hurt, he'd literally drop everything and go to Tarith for treatment.

Stepping closer, the thing snarls again, this time attempting to get to it's feet as well. He pauses mid step. 'Got to get the kid to a safe place, then I can deal with this thing.' “Hey, kid, come over here please. Slowly.” Tarith says quietly as to not aggravate the beast. Nodding, the boy stands and starts towards Tarith. It whimpers, eyes on the boy moving away from him. “Wait.” The voice startles both Tarith and the boy. Spinning slowly around, the boy gazes down at the creature. “Please,” it begs, “Don't leave me...” Tarith hesitates.'It's a trick, it has to be.' When the boy turns to him, though his eyes show no sign of inquiry, he understands the question none the less. His thoughts race as he tries to think of what to do. Falling back on routine while his mind works, he walks up to the kid and starts checking his wounds. Seeing the ground around them stained red with the kid's blood, Tarith looks quickly for the injury that caused that much blood loss. Fortunately wounds themselves don't seem to be too bad, just numerous. 'This one on his shoulder needs to be bound, but other than that, these others will heal on their own. Thank Venaah'

Tarith runs a hand through the boy's hair, pulling his head back so he can see into his eyes. 'Still so cold, even after such an experience.' Looking deep into those metallic cold orbs, Tarith finds nothing more than he ever finds. An empty, hollow place. A place no child's eyes should lead to. The beast whines again, snapping him out of the depressing thoughts invading his mind. Pulling out of Tarith's hands, the boy walks over to it. Grabbing for the kid's arm to pull him back, the man says half panicked, “Wait, kid, it's dangerous!” Kneeling down, the kid looks back at him, “It will not hurt us. I can see it.” Tarith sees something in the boy's eyes as he speaks. 'His past. He gets that look when his past comes to him. If that's what's telling him we can trust it, I guess....' Knowing he's beat, Tarith sags and move next to the boy.

The beast's breathing is slow and labored now, like when Tarith is asleep. Gripping an arm, it's scales rough and jagged beneath his palm, the boy rolls it over. The hole in it's neck seems to have stopped oozing the purple liquid. 'Perhaps it is blood. I must ask Tarith' Turning, he watches Tarith approach. 'His color is different somehow.' “Tarith.” “Yeh kid?” Holding his arms up, the fluid coating them beginning to dry, the boy asks “Is this blood?” Tarith stares for a moment, then nods. “Yes. It's blood alright. There are different colors to blood.” Storing that new information away, he begins reviewing what he's learned to find what he needs to do next. 'When I am losing blood, Tarith binds the wound with cloth....Cloth....'

In an instant, he has his tunic off and begins tearing it into strips. He sees Tarith move out of the corner of his eye. He pauses, looking up at the man. Tarith stares back, mouth open slightly, seemingly frozen mid motion. Sighing,the man takes half of the now destroyed garment and begins folding it into a square. After several minutes of careful shifting and pulling, the two manage to get a makeshift bandage in place. Looking over at Tarith, he asks, “What next?” The man thinks for several seconds before responding. “We should probably bring it away from the stream. The smell of all this blood with most likely bring predators.” Nodding, the boy stands Reaching down, he grabs one of it's arms. Sighing once again, Tarith grabs the other arm. With a solid heave, they get it sliding across the dirt. Slipping on to the grass makes the going a bit easier.

Reaching the side of the hut, they stop, placing the beast's arms gently at it's sides. It's breathing is still slow and even. The boy gets on his knees beside it, starring at the light within it. 'It seems stronger now.' The little tongues of red flicker and pulsate. He watches as they snake out, then draw back, like live creatures themselves. Settling back cross legged, the boy folds his arms across his chest. Eyes locked on the creature, he settles in.

Recognizing the stance, Tarith lets out another large exhale. His tail flicks back and forth in irritation. 'Last time I saw him like this, he was determined to carry ALL the wood in, and wouldn't let me touch any. All because he broke a plate.....' His tail lashes around a few more times before he marches off around the hut. Slipping inside, he nabs a blanket off the bed. 'I pray I don't regret this.' Going back where the boy sits in rapt attention, he slides the cloth around his shoulder to ward off the cold. Tucking it best he can around the stiff figure, he mutters, “Hey kid, can you at least tell me what happened?” The kid blinks, then tilts his head. Tarith smiles at the familiar gesture.

Sitting down next to the boy, he wraps an arm around him, sharing his warmth. After a time, the boy speaks. “I was washing dishes. By the stream. I heard something. When I looked across the stream, I saw nothing. Then it was there. It came at me. We...” The boy get's a strained look on his face. Tarith watches as he points to his various injuries. “It's called fighting kid. You two fought.” The boy looks up at him, blinking slowly, then, looking back at the beast, he continues. “We fought. There was.....a lot of my blood. I got hold of a rock, and hit it in the side. I heard a crunch, like something breaking. It cried out. When I rolled on top of it, I......could not kill it.”

Tarith looks into the kid's eyes as he describes the last part of the encounter. “In it's eye's, something I have seen before. It held me back. I felt....” The moment the word leaves his lips, the boy gasps, curling into a ball. His shoulders begin to tremble under Tarith's arm. 'Not again. Please, no more pain for this child.' Reaching over, Tarith pulls the small one into his lap. Stroking the boy's back, rubbing slowly between the small shoulder blades, he tries desperately to comfort the shaking figure in his arms. “It's ok. Just stop thinking about it. It's not important right now. Please, just relax.” Tarith's pleas and reassurances go on for a time, his tail curling around to brush against the boy's covered arm. The low tones of the man wash over the child, and soon his tremors subside. Tarith pulls the small figure in his arms tight to him. Pressing his face into the snarled mat of hair hanging from the kid's head, he takes in the reassuring scent the boy gives off.

Letting the warmth from Tarith seep into his chilled body, the boy sits unmoving for several minutes. 'Why would a word do that. I have learned many, and when I learned that one, did I....' The thoughts drift off before he can think on them further. He finishes his tale, skipping the part about the light and what it brought up in his own chest. “A thing began going into it's neck, causing a lot of blood to pour. I reached into it to pull out the object. It injured my fingers, so I threw it at a tree. It dug into the tree when it hit. Then, you called.” Finishing, he presses deeper into the man's embrace, instinct driving him to find warmth. He stares at the man's light. Yellow and bright, he slips a few fingers out from the blanket wrapped around him. Pressing his fingers over where the light is brightest, he feels the last vestiges of tenseness ease out of him. “So,” Tarith says in in a soft voice, “If you don't want it dead, what should we do?” The boy cocks his head from side to side, letting his mind wander. 'I wish to know more. To know more, you must ask. To get answers, you need...' His head comes to a stop mid turn. Neck straight, he says “I want to wait for it to wake so we may talk to it.”

________________________________-

Tarith shift, resting his arms more leisurely cross the boy's legs. “Then we wait I suppose.” Tarith takes a deep breath, reading all the smells he can detect. 'Don't need something else showing up to take a piece out of this kid.' Smelling nothing dangerous in the area, he rests his head on the boy's shoulder. The boy tucks the blanket closer around himself before resting his hands atop Tarith's arms. The man's eyes flutter close as the stress of the day overwhelms him. 'He could have been killed. Oh Venaah. If he had' Tarith shudders, a strong pain wracking his body at the thought. 'And was not but a hundred yards away! How could I have missed the whole thing!' Tarith starts mentally berating himself for not being there when the kid was attacked.

Drawing in a deep breath, he takes in the boys scent. Exactly the same as the day they met. 'A light smell of something burnt, but pleasant. And under it, a dry field after a spring rainfall. So soothing. How could I ever let anything happen to him....' Tarith sobs softly into the boy's hair. He feels a small hand come up and rest on the side of his head. Pulling back for a moment, he looks down at the boy. Tilting his head to the side in question, all Tarith can do is smile before burying his face back into the boy's shoulder. He cries softly, the flow slowly wetting the blanket. When the tears finally subside, his whole body gets overtaken by that gentle heat he has come to associate with the boy. 'For some reason, all I need is this boy to be content in my life. Nothing seems as pressing as the need to do whatever I can for the little one.' He hears the boy's breathing slow. His own eyes grow heavy, and his tail wraps tightly around the two. Sleep soon overtakes them both.

When the sun rises on the group the next day, it finds them exactly the way it left them. The second the suns light reaches a certain hue, Tarith snaps awake, followed moments later by the figure in his lap. Stretching out, the boy falls off the man's legs. Tarith giggles at the sight of the figure sprawled out on the ground. Tarith looks at the scaled creature beside his hut, and with a start realizes it's watching them. 'Normally, eyes on me wakes me within moments. Something is off about this thing.' He reaches over to nudge the boy. When the kid looks at him, he points at the beast watching them. He rolls over, pushing himself up into a sitting position. With a half turn, he faces it, head cocked to the side.

“Do you have a name?” The boy asks, his voice sounding dry. The creature nods, “I am Lassich. I thank you for my life. I am in your debt.” The beast closes his eyes and bows best he can on his back. Tarith sees it wince in pain at the movement. Opening it's eyes, it continues in it's low ragged voice, “Please, forgive me. I would not have attacked you had it not been for my master's orders. Please believe me. While it is in my nature to fight, never would I attack an unarmed child if it was my choice.” Tarith's brows furrow. 'I don't like the sound of this.' “Master? What master?!” Tarith can feel panic rising in his throat. 'Who could want to kill this boy!?' The beast's eyes roll to Tarith. Locking gazes, it's lips pull back to reveal eight inch fangs. Glaring back, Tarith feels his heckles rise, his tail poofing out twice it's normal size.

Watching the two for a moment, a thought drift past. 'Trust. They do not trust. They will fight.' Looking down at Lassich, he says, “I trust Tarith. No fighting please. I too want to know about your master.” The prone figure relaxes at once. The boy sees Tarith relax a bit as well, but his tail remains large. “My master is a very powerful Treimist. He commands many of my kind. I know not his name, but I do know he works for another, more powerful person still.” The boy looks back at Tarith. The man's eyes are wide, the purple around his iris seeming to darken in color while his flesh tints lighter. 'His light is shaking. It's getting smaller. Something is wrong.'

“Tarith, what is a Treimist?” The man flinches, as if he'd been struck. The boy's mind whirs, making him close his eyes to try and focus. Before he can make sense of any of the images passing by, they vanish suddenly into the depths of his mind. He opens his eyes and looks over at the man. Tarith looks about, finally settling on his hands clenched in front of him. “A Treimist is someone who controls an immense amount of hecta. Hecta is the power in the air. It is all around us at all times, and a Treimist can draw it together. They use it to do various things....Most of which, at least from what I've seen, are unpleasant.” Tarith trails off into silence, his eyes closing. Tilting his head back and forth, the boy contemplates what he just heard. 'Unpleasant. Bad like the ferns. Like when one is injured.' He tucks the new information into his accumulated knowledge he's gained since coming to live with Tarith.

The beast rolls over, the sudden movement causes the boy to jump back a bit, and Tarith's eyes to snap open. Pushing itself up, it looks at them both, eyes shifting from one to the other. The beast leans against the hut's sturdy wall for support, the scraping sound if it's scales on the wood harsh in the morning air. “Do you know why your master wishes me dead?” The question stills Lassich's movement. Bowing it's head low, the beast looks into the grass as it responds, “Master shares not these things with one as lowly as myself. I am simply to follow orders. But now that the zemi is gone from my neck, I am no longer bound to him. What I do know, is that I am not the last. He will send others. Either to ensure I killed you, or to correct my failure.”

Tarith's head snaps up at this proclamation. “No....I won't let him die!” Tarith rises to his feet in a rush. The boy follows suit, more slowly, eyes locked on the man. His mind racing, too fast for him to comprehend. All he can think about is keeping the boy out of danger. 'I can go and kill the....but no......damn! Maybe go as far from where it.....but if it can find him here.....maybe...send the creature back to say he's dead. Buy us enough time to get some distance...Oh Venaah! I can't let him die! I won't!' Throwing his head back, Tarith lets all the panic, fear, anger, and stress from last night and this morning poor out of him with an inhuman howl.

“I WON'T!”

+++++++++++

Hope this is a bit better. Sorry for the sub par last time.

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:35 am; edited 6 times in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: DP Reply with quote

Oh NO! Someone's after our little idio, I mean, Hero! How can we keep him safe!?

To Be A Knight
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we only take precautions to keep him safe, we're going to live permanently in the fear that more beasts will come - until the boy is killed.

The boy still has no memory of his own past, but Lassich may hold the key to at least some of it. Lassich may not know why the treimist wants the boy killed, but questioning him about the world it comes from may jog a few memories for the boy.

So for now - we find out more about Lassich's world, and its dangers.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so now that you've had a few days, you may want to go back through and edit it up a bit... lots of little niggles, mostly regarding tense and verb conjugation. Some of them threw me off and made places a bit difficult to understand until I realized you meant a whole different word or way to use that word. This just wasn't as patiently written and delivered as its preceding chapters.

Otherwise, as far as story goes, the plot thickens and this gets a bit more interesting. They should probably pack up and go and prepare to circle around to try to figure out more about this unknown enemy.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Thunder-kun Reply with quote

That actually sounds funny to me. I KNOW this chapter isn't as good as the others, but it wasn't because of lack of thought, it's cause of OVER thought. Whenever I'm writing and I pasue to think about somthing, THAT'S when it turns out like this. I'm rewriteing now. My muse is flowing, so it sould be better. My brain is free and booming, so I sould get back to it. Thnx for reading and reviewing Thunder-kun, Froggy-chan!

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re-write Reply with quote

The Re-write is up now, Hope It's better this time!

To Be A Knight
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I mean 'patiently written' I mean taking the time to go back through it after you're done a couple times before posting. I would often be the same way, most errors stemming from an altered perspective from taking pauses to consider things as I'm writing.

After reading through, I could certainly find points to mention regarding edits BUT, that's not really at issue. You did help to clear up some minor points of confusion the first readthrough instilled, so it was a successful edit.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Thunder-kun Reply with quote

Razz thanks. I was really straining the first time I wrote it. My mind just wasn't working for me. I wasn't in the right mindset. But I got it back, I hope! I can always tell but watching my fingers wether or not I got the muse going, and first time, it was a no go....

Thnx for the re-read!

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Sooo..... Reply with quote

I only see two idea u here.....Any more forthcomming? I know it's almost X-mas, so I understand the lack of activity...so I don't mind multiple opinnions on those who've already posted Laughing

FYI, next chapter is an "Is this me?" point, very important! Depending on the choise made here, it will shape our hero in times to come!

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Ummmm Reply with quote

*Wanders around aimlessly* *Sigh* Still no more ideas.....I guess I'll wait til after new-years to start working on these again seeing as not many people will be around til then....*Sigh* I hate having to work around the holidays...no vacations for me.....

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Well.... Reply with quote

Any more suggestions? I need some input here! Pweese? Hewp.....

To Be A Knight
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
5251 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUN! that's the only thing we can do. Get away from this place. Go somewhere safe. Hide. TAKE LASSICH WITH YOU.

We need Lassich. Sounds strong and certainly would be of help. Though now, all we have is lack of info. We know zilch about our enemy, except that he's more powerful than us. not good. So we run.

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Wow...no votes.....I soooo wanna keep writing, but I can't without at least one vote! *Sigh* *Keeps waiting*

To Be A Knight
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll seems to be closed.... were you still waiting for more votes?
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Poll Reply with quote

Get more info from Lassich
0% [ 0 ]
Pack up and go information gathering on this enemy
100% [ 1 ]
Run as far away as we can
0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 1

Looks like they're off to scower the world! Good luck guys!

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Ummmm..... Reply with quote

Hate to do this to you guys, but I'ma gonna hafta make another Poll. Now that it's decided WHAT we're doing, we need to decide WHERE we're doing it. This'll only be up for a little bit. I only need one vote. This is a real simple one, so have at it!

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to go?
North, to the mountains
66% [ 2 ]
East, to the towns
0% [ 0 ]
South, to the port cities
33% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 3

Ok, now to the NORTH! I will be posting soon(I pray) so keep a weather eye out!

To Be A Knight
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Is this Me? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: