Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQ Issue #30

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: IFQ Issue #30 Reply with quote

Bringing you the News The Old fashioned Way

The City of IF hit 7 years of age! Congratulations IF!!!

Story by Kang at the Royal Palace

There has been non stop partying in the streets ever since the announcement of IF's 7th year of existence. Let us all rejoice and work to make sure we make it through another year!

In Celebration of IF's 7th anniversary We here at the IFQ felt it was due for Key to give a Royal interview on how far IF has come and where IF is going in the future.

Kang- How much has IF changed over the last 7 years

Key- I think the spirit is much the same and (somewhat surprisingly) the format of the storygame and the other things we post hasn't really changed much. The main change has been the wonderful accumulation of traditions and other parts of the site. I feel like the City of IF now is kind of like an old castle, with rooms long abandoned but still filled with ancient treasure for those who dare to explore them. Things like the Ifki, storychat, Zogby the Fortune Teller, the Land of Odd, Arena, the Multiverse, Tales of IF, etc, etc. go unused for months or years, but are still there to be rediscovered.

Kang- What has been your most memorable moment in IF

Key- Hmm...there have been so many moments. I remember at the very beginning of the city, a sudden explosion of activity when I opened up the permissions and let people write their own storygames. I remember the city turning green with the first election of Crunchyfrog as Mayor. I remember some of Chinaren's stories establishing the mythology of the city itself. I remember some of the twists and turns in the Wheel stories that took me completely off-guard, like the death of the title character in the White Queen.

Kang- What has been some of your favorite Storygames that you have seen over the years

Key- Aside from my own "Wheel" stories, of course, some of my favorites were a few of The Powers That Be's: Dear Dotty and the one about aliens. Thorns and Steel by Reiso was one I remember fondly as well.

Kang- What are your Future plans For IF in the Coming Future

Key-I don't have plans so much as ideas. Here are two new ones that I'd like to try out sometime in the next year:

There's a design firm named Six to Start that's recently created a platform for telling mobile stories called Wanderlust. The storytelling is done through a mobile device and involves moving and interaction in the real world, but it's not tied to a particular location. I haven't played any story like this yet, but I'd like to check it out and potentially write one for IFians (and others) to enjoy.

Lately I've been taking a lot of classes in improvisational theater in a school called BATS improv (www.improv.org). It's very creative and interactive, much like storygaming. Everything I've learned has been geared to live performance, but I'm really interested to see if something like that could translate into video or webcast, like a version of storychat only with live video and actors playing out the scenes. At some point I definitely want to find a group to try this out and put it on IF. If there are any IFians in the San Francisco Bay Area who are interested in being a part of this, let me know.

New Old Mayor!

After a heated battle, our own Crunchyfrog came out on top as our New Old Mayor! In honor of her election, our intrepid reporters, Stein and Rover, have secured an interview of Our Lady Mayor. Though her reign will soon come to an end, her words and insight need to be heard!

Mayoral Interview – A peek into a Mayors mind

Story by PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Slipping past several well armed guards, Stein and Rover make their way into the mayoral estate. Following the sounds of gay merriment, they find their way into the lavish dinning room. At the head table sits the Mayor herself, snacking on some sort of large leaf.

Stein: Ma'am? Would you be willing to answer some quick questions?

The Mayor looks over the odd duo, then nods once.

1) Any new ideas for improvements here in IF?

Ideas? New? Me? Er... nothing cooking right now, although as always I'm open to suggestions.

2) How are you enjoying your return to power?

Since the recent reinforcements were made to the Great Wall of Registration, I've had much more time to read and participate around the site, even put in a chapter or two. It's great to see the newer storygames developing, and to see new people moving the site forward with their own ideas.

3) What is your favorite SG you are currently following?

Hmmm, difficult one, that. I am finding both Heavy Metal and Murder in the Intergalactic Garden both very absorbing SGs at the moment. I like sci-fi, and the complexities of Heavy Metal's plot, and Intergalactic Garden's perplexing mystery have drawn me in.

4) I simply must know. WHEN will you be returning the first half of 'Magician's
Touch' to IF?

I guess it's about time I talked about the future of The Magician's Touch. It has, after all, consumed most of my creative energy over the past 4 years. As you might imagine, my writing style and ability have changed a lot during that time.

The Magician's Touch has been undergoing an extensive rewrite - as part of my plans to turn it into a novel. For that reason I'm reluctant to have the story displayed online in its entirety.

However, if it wasn't for City of IF and its storygames, and the chapter writing competition I entered when I first joined here (which provided me with the main characters and concept) MT would never have existed. So as the new format comes together I'll be inviting anyone who's interested, who has read or participated in the original SG to sample and critique its new incarnation.

5) Do you have anything to say to the citizens of our fine city?

Oooh. Now I've gone all shy. Er... Yeah! Keep on writing! Keep that feedback coming! It's what makes this site great.

Stein: Thank you Froggy-sama. *Bows*

New to the IF Quirer, the Monthly Wordfind! First person to find all the words, mail me and you shall be rewarded from the IF Treasury!

Words:
Skiffiville
Thunderbird
Sparklesteps
Chinaren
The Inn
Bob the ape dog
Spotlight
Land of Odd

Heavy Metal-Thunderbird-7
Nightmares Trilogy-Vishal Muralidharan-5
Murder in the Intergalactic Garden-Lebrenth-4
SparkleSteps-Tikanni Corazon-3
Is This Me?-PopeAlessandrosXVIII-3

Taking the lead this month in the top 5 is Thunderbird's Heavy Metal, closely followed by Vishal Muralidharan's Nightmares Trilogy. And right on Vishal's heels is Lebrenth's Murder in the Intergalactic Garden is in forth place. Finally, tied for fifth place are Tikanni Corazon's SparkleSteps, winner of the last spotlight competition, and this editor's own Is This Me?
All of which are highly recommended by this editor.

Top 5 Quick Peek

A fun mix of spiritual and sci-fi fun with Heavy Metal, with monsters and angels alike. The twist and turn filled excitement of Nightmares Trilogy keep you guessing. The murder mystery adventure of Murder in the Intergalactic Garden challenges your logic centers, while keeping thing simple with insightful info links. SparkleSteps is a step back into the life of a child forced to step out of the bonds of modern life, and into the realm of dreams and magic. Travel along with the main character of Is This Me? as he travels the world, makes friends, and discovers just who, and what, he is.

While traveling through IF, intrepid reporters Stein and Rover managed to record an interview with the reclusive winner of the last Spotlight winner.

Tikanni Interview – New to the Spotlight

Stein and Rover sneak on to the Tikanni estate. Getting into the front entrance, the home owner seems to be out. Leaving a list of questions on the table next to a tape recorder, the two intrepid reporters exit the building swiftly as they came.

*enters the room, and notices the tape recorder looking very out of place amongst the random fabulous objects, scattered about the room... picks up the device, and takes it over to a pile of enormous, and incredibly soft, jewel-colored floor cushions, where she stretches herself out, and begins to answer her questions in total, luxurious comfort*

1) First off... How did you come across IF?

I came across IF just on a random search on Google. I actually can't even remember what it was that I was looking for, but it most certainly wasn't anything like IF. But as soon as I ventured inside the city, and got the jist of what the site was actually all about, I was most intrigued. But, being an extremely unconfident person, I was actually pottering around the city, reading the SGs long before I actually joined. And once I did, it took an extreme amount of effort to work up the nerve to comment on the SGs, and even longer to enter the Inn, and chat to the other members. But once I did start becoming an active citizen, I absolutely fell in love with the place, and the people. Definitely one of the best things I ever did.

2) Did you do a lot of writing before coming here?

Yeah, I did. SparkleSteps actually started life as an idea for a novel, and currently, I'm working on two others, and have been doing so on and off for about three years now. I've always enjoyed the creative side of writing, and have wanted to be an author for years. Creative writing has always been one of my strong points, going back as far as primary school. Though I didn't do so well in the more academic subjects, I was often praised for my writing ability, especially poetry. And another thing I like about creating stories is that I can combine that with my other love, which a few people around here will know is my artwork. I love inventing characters, and then bringing them to life on canvas.

3) What is your current favorite SG you're playing in?

I absolutely love TBs Heavy Metal! It's just brilliant, and quite possibly my favorite SG since I joined IF.

4) What is it you like best about being a Citizen here in IF City?

The people of the city are just fabulous, and I know that they've made me a better writer since I first came here. The constructive criticism and feedback that one gets on the site is invaluable for one to grow as a writer. The idea of getting negative feedback made me shy away from starting my own SG for a while, but once you get over those first initial posts, you get used to it, and in time, you realize how much it helps to have these brilliant, honest people around to let you know where you are making mistakes, so that you can try and sort them out, and work on perfecting your writing technique. And best of all, you know that you're not the only one making mistakes. Everyone else is in the same boat, and we can all help each other.

5) What did it feel like to win the Spotlight Competition?

I actually couldn't believe it. I didn't really want to enter because I didn't think that SparkleSteps had what it took to win. I had to be persuaded by our former mayor to just bite the bullet and stop being such a baby. And I'm very glad that I did. It was wonderful to be recognized like that, especially when I was up against such hard competition, as all of the entries were brilliant. And it's made me a little more confident about my writing, and made me feel more worthy of giving constructive criticism to others.

6) What SGs do you hope to see in the next competition?

Of course my fellow competitors from the last Spotlight, as each of them deserved to win as much as I did. There are many very good SGs on IF at the moment, and if they're well written, and the citizens of IF are enjoying them, they deserve their place in the Spotlight.

Just a random side question, feel free to decline answer...But do you have a favorite avatar on IF? Seeing so many...I like the one with the moon crashing to earth....*Cough*

*giggles* Well, I quite like my own, which is why I chose it, but I've always thought that DMW's avatar was kinda cool, with those flashing red eyes. And I remember when I first joined, I loved BlackAmaranth's avatar too... *takes a quick look* ...yeah, I still like that one.

To Meta or not to Meta

In other news, there was a heated discussion about Meta DPs just recently in the Open Forum. For those of you who don't know what a Meta DP is, I'll try to explain best I can.

A DP, as we all know it, it where an author presents a problem, and we all give suggestions of how we think they should deal with it.

A Meta DP is less HOW things happen next, and more WHAT happens next. It gives ultimate control to the reader.

Prompted by the response this editor got over a Meta DP in one of his recent stories, he began the thread. The responses were varied.

"I prefer to think of DPs as...putting you in the character's shoes, that the readers are more of roleplayers all playing the same character, rather than actually writing the story. As the reader I feel you offer suggestions for how the character(s) should act as respond to what the author is doing, rather than describing what actually happens to them." - LordoftheNight

"Personally, I feel Meta DPs are GENERALLY a lazy decision by the author. It tends to indicate, to me, that the author doesn't know, or care, where the story is heading and doesn't have a clear perspective on their plot." – Thunderbird

"I agree that, if crafted in the right way, a Meta DP can be effective. It can also give you an idea of what your readers are expecting, or want to happen. These can help you develop some effective plot twists." - Crunchyfrog

"I am definitely a non-meta DP kind of guy, as I see a storygame as much about game as it is about story, and I see meta decisions as entirely about story. If the challenge is defeating a dragon, the winning Meta DP option could be "George sneezes the dragon out of existence"... no challenge hence no game. However, both forms have their benefits and neither really matter if they aren't implemented well." - Lebrenth

"As for meta, there are times in which they are necessary that may or may not have anything to do with crafted plots and character personalities. With the SG format it is the best way at time to give a nod to your readers and give them the opportunity to change the story. As SG's are interactive it is my opinion that meta's could be used to challenge yourself as the author to make sure that you are in line with what your readers want who have been following you the whole time." - Emperor

"I think Lebby has hit the nail on the head here. It doesn't, to me, matter what the DP is, as long as it's implemented properly, and furthers the story. That said, I personally think the 'traditional' DP is all well and good, and can work well. However, those of you who've seen some of my stories know I'm always pushing the barriers, trying new things. I don't like the idea of a 'set idea' of a DP. It's restrictive to me." – Chinaren

"I'm sure that many people would just get stuck up at a point of their story, not knowing what to do. When there's apparently "nothing to happen" in the story, a Meta DP maybe put up to fill the void, or lead into a conflict without seeming abrupt." - Vishal Muralidharan

"In my opinion, every DP needs to have it's time and place, and both Meta DP's and "regular" DPs have their place in a story. It's just a question of which one the author prefers, and how does he or she implement it." - Cyberworm

"I personally never plan out anything I write, I prefer to just write and let the story unfold by itself. What fun is writing something if you already know the ending? I suppose I prefer the meta-dp thingy. When I come to a stopping point it's not because I decided it would be a good spot for a decision, I stop writing because that's where it should stop, that's where it has to stop. It is simply the right place, for no other reason than that." - BStheGreat

"I think, for my part, it really depends on the story. A laid back or wacky tale really won't suffer at all from a meta-DP; especially if the story has little to no characterization. On the other hand, a more serious work with rich characters and an in-depth plot line really needs a more traditional DP to maintain that tone. The author of something serious must always pretend that he is in control of the story, and that really can't be done with a meta-DP." – Shillelagh

"A good measure that can be used to cover both a regular and Meta DP is to actually throw the Meta DP into the mix of the choices .. that way if those voting like what the writer has then its all systems go but that specific writer should not be offended if it doesn’t work out that way there is still that chance of working the chose DP and Meta DP into the same chapter as long as it keeps the flow of the story going smooth." - Kang

I must thank all members who gave their opinions on the matter, *Bows* Head here and join the discussion today!

Spotlight Competition

The Spotlight competitions heats up for the month of April with the four contestants submitting their samples, and voting is under way! Please be sure to check them out here here Make sure your vote is heard! Will it be Rise of the Operatives by Vishal Muralidharan? Or perhaps Legion of Soul Breakers by warriorofdoom. Or you may like Brandi's Story by crazybookgal. Or do you favor Is this me? by PopeAlessandrosXVIII? Come voice your opinion today!

Business

Story by Kang

FBIA- The city can be proud as its stock exchange is back up and running. The Fatback Industrial average holds at 2139.19 . Want to raise the index some ?? Invest ( participate ) in some storygames and watch your fatbacks and the index climb!

Deadweight average- The Anti Spam Squad ( ASS) reports that moderation over spam accounts has tapered, resulting in a deadweight average of 57%. However, the ASS, this writer or the IFQ are not placing blame as this writer just recently discovered this issue back at the desk.

Happy IF DAY
Congrats to IF itself for making it 7 years. Others for April are Tramp in a Storm and IFQ's Kang, both reaching 4 years.

Words O' Wisdom

"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky

Would you like to advertise in ?

Look here for more information!
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great edition! I always look forward to the next issue and this one was no exception. The interview with our illustrious Key was fantastic and needed in my opinion.

A small point of edit, one that will seem self serving and unneeded but hey my ego is fragile. Key pointed out that Thorns and Steel was one of his favorite SG's, which I was surprised by and grateful - but I do have point out that I was half responsible for that SG. I know, I know it seems trite to point something out like that, but hey, I have very few accolades in the City and TAS was brightest one I had.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much agree... this issue was astonishingly good. Thanks for all the props on HM btw!

And, yeah, Key, it's nice to see you're thinking of some ways to move IF forward! Any chance you'd consider bringing us back another Wheel story?

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I am joining the appraisal - this issue is great! I never took the time before to read it through but this time it was fun and right on the spot. Congrats and keep up the good work! Very Happy

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
crazybookgal
Citizen

Topics: 12

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Laughing
Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say guys this issue was rather challenging to Piece together but i think Pope and I really pulled it off as my RL issues iron out i should be able to contribute more in the future but Pope did a heck of a job getting much of this together Very Happy
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
Any chance you'd consider bringing us back another Wheel story?

I'm glad you remember them. Very Happy

I'd really like to play with the format, so I probably wouldn't do one as a simple storygame. But if something like the video storygame works out, I could see doing a Wheel story in that format.

Smile
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you thank you for all your kind words I-

Stein: Heh hem?

I mean, "we" appreciate them so very much! Kang, Stein, Rover and I had fun making this issue, and look forward to the next time!

We are working on the next issue now, so if there are any articals you'd all like to see, or contribute, please drop us a line! I'm already formulating many fun things for the next edition *Glances at Stein* as are my two ace reporters.

Until next time! *Vanishes in a flurry of newsprint*

Stein: Show off. C'mon Rover *Walks out*

Rover: Wuff *Follows*

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job! Cool Looking forward to the next issue.

Has anyone already finished the wordsearch? Very Happy
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the first day, but I didn't submit it! I don't if anyone else has yet. If posting the answer was a little bit faster....

Oh, and I also want to say that this was an excellent edition of the IFQuirer. I found the talk with Key about "Wanderlust stories" particularly interesting.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never know until you send it! Bwahahahaha! Razz

Just kidding, it looks fun and should be solved, so even if it's solved by someone there's no reason you shouldn't solve/send it. Very Happy

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really nailed the point of a newspaper: constructing a narrative that people in a community feel a part of. Keep up the interviews, those are good ways to project the voices of some of our members.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: