Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IF Quirer Issue #38

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: IF Quirer Issue #38 Reply with quote

Bringing you the News The Old fashioned Way

Standing In The Light!
At last the spotlight shines again!

Spotlight on a Dragon
Story by PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Last Spotlight of this year, 2011, is The Children of Leyond by the magnificent dragon IFian known as Kalanna Rai. After a long string of unfinished projects, the love and dedication shown by this author shines through in this epic tale of ambitions and war. To read more on this, see the Spotlight section bellow.

A Editors Mind

Hi there, Pope here. I just wanted to say a few words to all of you, here at the beginning of the new year. First of all, I hope everyone has a wonderful year and is safe tonight as they party in the new year. This last year was great one here in IF despite all the fighting and disagreements. We saw two great Mayors come and go, and the fresh new start of yet another one. I am sure this new Mayor shall do his best and I offer all my support. I want to thank all IFians fro being a truly wonderful family here in IF, and I look forward to all we shall accomplish in this fresh new year. I hope that with the ending of the holidays the Guilds will begin shining as I know they can, and we see an influx of members. I pray that the harsh words that have been said, and the painful feelings that have been evoked can be put aside and let IF once again be the loving, nurturing environment it was when I first arrived. I'm positive we will all do our parts, so I will look forward to the day. I thank you all for being so wonderful, and I wish you all a Happy New Years!

If Only Wordfind
The first three IFians to find all the words, mail PopeAlessandrosXVIII and you shall be rewarded from the IF Treasury!

Word Find Words:

Top Five
Cry The Grave
Near-Light Speed
The Goons
Jack
Ahmed
Gallant
Lanthos

Wordfind Winners from last month:
1st: N/A
2nd: N/A
3rd: N/A

Linear Lane Looky Loo

The Chronicles of Lanthos - Lilith

The Last Silver-Tongue – Kalanna Rai

The Original Escaping Eternia – misterbiz

Line of Kavanagh: The Original – Andolyn

A Hunter's Tale – Kalanna Rai

No Name Story – PopeAlessandrosXVIII

And here are some in the Dark Linear Lane

The Hell Half – misterbiz

Blood Stained Paradise – misterbiz

Getting Lucky - misterbiz

Come support the muse in Linear Lane today!

SparkleSteps – Tikanni Corazon – 6
Heavy Metal – Thunderbird – 5
Eden's Call – Lilith – 4
Edge of Glory – Kalanna Rai – 4
The Childern of Leyond – Kalanna Rai – 4

Maintaining it's lead in first place is SparkleSteps by Tikanni Corazon, followed yet again but Thunderbird's Heavy Metal. Taking a hard leap into third place is Eden's Call written by Lilith. Scooting it's way into the top five this month is Edge of Glory by Kalanna Rai, closely followed by the winner of out latest spotlight, The Children of Leyond by the same author!

Top 5 Peek

Still keeping readers on the edge of there seats even in it's final few chapters, SparkleSteps by Tikanni Corazon is stretching the limit of family bonds and fantastic fantasy in this epic tale of monsters, magic, and the power of the heart. The continuing sci-fi epic known as Heavy Metal by our esteemed Thunderbird keeps you thinking and wondering just how far some humans will go for the truth, and just how deep some conspiracies can go. The secret societies, ominous undertones, and underlying webs of fate grow deeper and deeper in complexity in Eden's Call by Lilith as our hero tries desperately to get a grip on what fate has thrown in her path. In a fine mix of fantasy and science fiction, Edge of Glory grows steadily more and more intricate in both the eyes of the readers and the characters as the quest continues. From a simple petty battle for the throne, to a battle for the good of all man, The Children of Leyond continues jumping from eye to eye, heart to heart, as the trail before each of these heir's become more and more unclear.

All of these stories are dually recommended by this editor.

Kalanna Rai knows just how to go about creating an epic bit of fantasy writing, proven when she won this month's Spotlight competition. With five votes out of a total of 12, there is no question that this dragon has some major talent. The Children of Leyond takes place in the country of Leyond. The king, having lost his son and heir, calls together the four children who now stand to inherit his throne from the four corners of the land. Kahfi, the cunning rouge. Tessa, the talented court lady. Lukan, the young hero in the making. And lastly Alasdair, the powerful yet peaceful leader. None of these young people know what is in store for them when they head to the kingdom of Leyond, but it surly wasn’t in any of their minds that they would have to fight for their lives, but for the fate of the kingdom itself! Can the siblings come together and save Leyond, despite the unbeliever king, or will at the end of all things there even be a Leyond left to rule? Join the battle for Leyond today, and shape the future of this masterful piece of literary artistry!

Guild Ads and Updates

The Fantasy Guild sees a steady but low level of activity as more people shuffle in to join the Short Story competition. Good work guys, keep it up!

The Horror Guild has seen no activity this month. C'mon guys, let's get spooky!

The Romance Guild has seen no activity this month. Where has the love gone?

The Sci-Fi Guild has seen no activity this month. Is there no “To the moon” left?

The Humor Guild was in a tizzy over the latest additions to the Trash Talk competition! Way to go you jokers!

The Experimental Guild has seen no activity this month. Are all the experiments going to rot away?

The Art and Poetry Guild has seen no activity this month. Let the lyrics and brushes fly you artistic bunch!

Off Site Author

Moving around the internet, I have the opportunity to observe authors on other sites, and their works. Here I have collected together a few works to share with my fellow IFians! This month we look at the work of one CielsButler, and their contributions to The Lounge.

Untitled
The raven faced the silver dove defiantly, red eyes piercing and sharp. The dove stared back, lilac eyes soft and sad. The brothers had never gotten along, but at the loss of their sister, the sparrow, it had torn what was left of their relationship in half.
"Goodbye... brother..." the raven said, voice rough and scratchy, as if he hadn't used it in months. He flew away without a backwords glance, tears stinging his already burning eyes.
"Goodbye...." the dove murmured softly, his wings drooping a bit, looking down at the scratched concrete floor. "I'm sorry.... it was my fault..."

Somebody Save Me
Can you hear it? Can you hear the silence that engulfs everything? I'm uncertain of whether you really can... whether you really care enough of me to see that endless emptiness I see every day. I suppose... I can't blame it on you, though. It's my fault, though I ache to deny it. You ask me.... "Honey? You look a bit down, what's wrong?" with that soft look... and I look plainly back with my facade and murmur, "I'm fine, mom, don't worry about it,".

Though I understand how she would worry about her own daughter, I can't help but wonder... if we were not linked by blood, would she feel the same concern? I'd like to think so, but... a part of me sorrowfully shakes it's head. This part of me... this part that ignores everything I say, think, do... I hate it. It tortures me every day, it calls me worthless, useless, pitiful, and so many others..... and I've noticed that after hearing the constant repetition of these words... they've made me come to believe them.

I wait, silently, for salvation... though I can express myself through written word, I can't find the will to say what my heart cries out every day...
"somebody... save me..."

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this little taste from the outside!

General News Report

There have been a few new appointments into council and Guild Leader positions which are as follows:

~ Andolyn - Vice-Mayor.

~ Thunderbird - Sci-Fi Guildmaster

~ PopeAlessandrosVIII - Arts and Poetry Guildmaster

~ Cyberworm - Speedmaster

New stories on the site include:

~ The Chronicles of Lanthos - Lilith - Linear Lane

~ The Last Silver-Tongue – Kalanna Rai – Linear Lane

~ Richard Dragonheart Investigates – Vikas Muralidharan – Skiffiville

As a special note, a dear friend of mine has joined the IF Quirer Editorial Team and will be helping myself and misterbiz from here on out! Please welcome Gon everyone!

And that's all for general news this last month! If you feel you have a bit of news you'd like to see in the next edition of the IF Quirer, feel free to contact the Chief Editor PopeAlessandrosXVIII at any time during the month.

Outsider Interview

Passing through one of my pet fields, Stein took one of my fellow pet caretakers aside and decided to get an interview. The experience was a delight, and here are the results.

Stein: Very well then, let us begin! Rover?

Rover: Wuff *The dog sits down facing the two of you, it's ears coming up with a whir and a click*

Stein: There we are. First off, thank you for agreeing to the interview.

Stein: How are you doing today?

Zenos: I'm doing great, thanks for asking.

Stein: I see. Now, you enjoy writing as I understand. What is your favorite genre to write?

Zenos: It'd have to be tragedy/fantasy. It allows freedom with ideas but also involves something that everyone can relate and connect to, death, as sadistic as that is.

Stein: Is that so? What is your least favorite?

Zenos: Documentaries. They're restricting and show no sense of creativity with all the facts and structure.

Stein: Interesting. Do you have any authors that you feel inspire you? If so, who and why?

Zenos: Not sure. Tetsuya Nomura was a story director, his plot lines inspired me with his Final Fantasy series. Although, I'm not sure if you'd consider that writing since it was turned into a video game.

Stein: Ah hah. Do you do posting online, and if so, where? If not, where do you do your writing mostly?

Zenos: I used to post on my online blog, for NaNoWriMo, but have stopped since my story 'Zenostias' has become more complete and it's more of a personal thing right now. Now, I write for myself and have it on my computer/on paper.

Stein: Mmm Hmm. What things to you like writing about in general?

Zenos: Mainly about things that would be considered supernatural. For example, telepathy, magic, etc. Politics always tends to find its way into my writing as well. For example, true democracy, communism, and anarchist viewpoints are quite common in my writing.

Stein: Yes yes, I understand. Now, could you give us a little example of your writing?

Zenos: Well, I'm not sure about that one. But, I'll try to dig something up for you.

Here are a couple excerpts from the tale, Zenostias

Light. The first time I saw it; the world looked so different from what I had imagined it to be. Nothing from what I had seen before. From my cousin’s eyes it looked so glum, so secluded, so distasteful. The world seemed to burst out to me. Reds. Blues. Yellows. Greens. Purples. Everything was near neon!

But, it made me realize something more. This is what they saw at one point. I wonder what made them change to a view so different, so distasteful. Could I eventually end up like that? Without the eyes or mindset to see what really is?

ZENOS!

Instinctively, I jumped as the thought approached me. My name, being yelled to me mentally. There was a reason for it that I had to discover. Just a fidget later I locked my cousin's eyes in my own, seeing the greed and desire. It looked worse than I perceived with my blindness.

“Zenos! Dammit! Quit it! You’re only losing more blood!”

He grabbed me, wrapping his one arm behind my neck and the other pressured against my right ribs. I had been overjoyed with my rediscovered sense so much that I had ignored what was going on around me. I had been struck through the ribs. A poison-tipped dagger, puncturing my lung. My cousin was now trying to save me. However, I could already feel the cold setting in. Like it always does before that last breath. The struggle to breathe, even if the poison didn’t affect me.

“We’re what they’re after…” I groaned out at my cousin, he looked worried and angry.

“What? Zenos what the hell are you talking about?”

Gasping, I didn’t have the energy to talk. I passed a thought to him, in the fashion that had become so similar over all the years that we spent together. All 8721 years, even if the first 40 we weren’t mentally linked like we were now.

The humans don’t plan to kill us…they want to use us. That’s what we got wrong, and that’s where we’re losing this battle. Atnus, leave this place! Kill those who flee with you. Lead our people and tell my wife that I’m gone. Get Makemut to protect her as well…

I tried to piece together what he responded, but it wasn’t to any avail. It wasn't important, and I didn’t worry. Makemut and Atnus….they’d take care of things for me. They always did.

Just as quickly as those neon lights came to, they faded into darkness. It became cold; it was odd to me. The last time I tempted death I felt alone, not cold. Maybe this was the sign that this was the last time. The last breath I’d ever take.

Stein: Very nice. *Stands* I must thank you for your time. *Bows* Please be sure to check out the next edition of the IF Quirer for your interview! Come Rover! *Walks out across the plains*

Rover: Wuff *Follows close behind*

Business

Still recruiting for someone to run the Business section of the IF Quirer. Simply PM PopeAlessandrosXVIII if you are interested in the post. It's a once a month job, and the work isn't too hard.

Happy IF Day!
Story by Gon

All the IF Days for December

At an amazing 7 years we have:

Muaddib

And at 6 years we have:

Lebrenth

And at 5 years we have:

Crunchyfrog

And at 4 years we have:

Novelest_Ninjagirl
DJ
ashkent

And at 3 years we have:

Bronze
snow tiger
sungmeena
LonelyfadedMoon
sheik

And at 2 years we have:

BWSC
trenda08
kerby_brain
dmoser767
raptorjesus92
Rupert
Nshade
Vozthesage
Queen Aphordite
beara0408
spowerq
diamondangel
VemiDale
Abel
ahawk23
Flewwellin
nortyboy40
rockdaeffon
miajohnson
smashface
Tree5002
gamerdude1996
monkeyqueen
Serg
ffxzlc
Spaceponi
satyreyes
Sugar Plum F
grumpygrumpy

And with our most recent at 1 year we have:

justjoe
Ladydeath
worldtripper
Atyrra
hollyhawk
creigd2k
raerain94
nickeason
magiphil28
Lost Omega

Congrats to all and Happy IF Day

Words O' Wisdom

“It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish.” - J. R. R. Tolkien

Would you like to advertise in ?

Look here for more information!
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: *Poke* Reply with quote

*Sigh* I guess no one reads the paper anymore. . . . .Well, hopefully with a new editor things will pick back up again!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh another great issue!! Very Happy Keep it up, Pope!!

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Cremuex Levier
Resident

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Pope, though I must say, I mainly just read the interview with Zenos since that's the only part that I actually knew anything about. Laughing
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: