Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQ Issue #40

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: IFQ Issue #40 Reply with quote

Bringing you the News The Old fashioned Way

Happy IF Day City of IF!
What?! Eight years already? It can't be! But maybe it can. . . . . .

Eight Years of Interfable
Story by PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Well it's here folks! The 8th IF Day of the City itself! Let's all join in with a big congratulations to not only the City, but it's founder, Mark Keavney, as well as all the wonderful members who have come and gone over the years. Each making their mark, molding IF into what it is today, and continue to shape it towards it's future. Let us hear it for those who have stuck with it since the beginning, those who are still carving out their place, and those still just trying to find their feet. Because of you, IF has survived the Wars, Dictators, Head Hunts, Corruption, and long absences that have ravaged the City over and over since it's inception. Let us all join together in the cry, “Long Live The City of IF!”
(Of course, add in Interfable, and we're at 10 years I believe. Heheh)

A Mayoral Interview

After yet another extensive chase through the Mayoral Mansion, Stein once again tracked down his Mayorness and secured an interview before being ejected via catapult from the estate. Brushing aside some bumps and bruises, he managed to deliver the interview to me before heading off to his lab to sleep off the rough flight.

Stein: Hello again Mister Mayor. Good to see you. You remember my dog Rover, no?

Mayor: Hmmm... *nods*

Rover: Wuff. *Sits down and prepares for the interview*

Stein: Let us begin. First off, I hope all finds you well?

Mayor: Not exactly in the pink of health, But Im getting better.

Stein: Glad to hear it. Now, I hate to jump right into it, but I secured this interview for. . . .For a bit of an update on your progress with what you've set out to accomplish as Mayor. Perhaps even a few words to our readers on how they can help you. I've read through your campaign declarations, and I have assembled some questions. Such as, on the subject of activity, you had a few ideas about personal member pages, more competitions, and bringing back the IFYs. How are you coming on these fronts?

Mayor: Well, we are discussing genre-specific competitions in the council and I've also had some chat sessions with one of the council members. The IFYS are back for sure. The nomination period should start sometime in March.

The only help I can ask for from the citizens is to actively participate in the competitions and nomination periods. I have seen a few competitions-Like your editor Pope's Poetry Competition- just fade out. We cant let that happen and it wont happen as long as there are members who are committed to going through with it. Like I pointed out in my campaign, activity begets activity and all these efforts the council takes will be succesful only if the citizens stay active.

What we need is authors keeping their SGs active and readers contributing actively. I think around 2 or 3 active SGs in each genre, a few stories in the Linear Lane, one RP that doesnt just fade out and regular poetry updates should be enough to get new members willing to stay here.

Or to put it simply, we just need to keep posting more regularly.

Stein: I see. Now, we went through our trial run of the Guilds and unfortunately they didn't quite make the cut. What are your thoughts on why, and is there anything you think could have been done differently?

Mayor: Well, I don't know really. Im taking off the guilds now because the obviously arent going to be succesful anytime soon. It all once again boils down to activity. We probably did not have enough members who were willing to join different guilds and stay active on each of them. I would have personally liked it if one person was allowed to join just one guild but there would be a lot of problems with that as well, seeing we dont have enough active members. Again, all problems boil down to activity doesnt it?

Stein: Indeed. . . . Have you done any more research into chapter limits on SGs? I remember you saying it needed to be discussed more before you made a decision.

I dont think Im going to go through with it. An author simply cannot be asked to limit his stories to a certain length, just because readers are finding it difficult to catch up. If the reader really liked the story, then they WILL catch up no matter how far behind they are. It took me around three months to catch up on LoK, but never did I suggest that Andolyn stop writing that story so that I'll be under a lesser pressure to catch up. That would just be wrong.

Stein: Is that so? I recall the subject of social activity and leadership coming up at one point. Do you feel you've become more socially active since becoming Mayor? Are you getting to know people better?

Mayor: Well, the fact that Im on a different side of the planet from most of the people doesnt help much, but I have been in The Inn much more and have talked more with people. But not too much progress here, though.

Stein: Interesting. Okay, let's set that aside now. On a more personal note, do you think you could give our readers an overview of the tales you have written?

Mayor: There's a lot on my plate right now. HATE was one of the stories I started long back that tells the story of Ahmed, a young muslim who deals with complex issues of religion and religious wars. The original one is finished but writer's block struck on IF. Im looking to have a new chapter up soon.

"Richard Dragonheart Investigates" is an old-fashioned murder mystery that I started about a murder on the sets of a popular reality show on TV. The murder was kinda telecast live on TV, which is creating a stir Wink

I'll admit, Im guilty of low activity levels as a writer after becoming mayor. I still do read stories but with this added responsibility, Im not getting time to write as much. Though I do promise a new chapter in both the stories and (probably) a nwe SG (if I can manage 3 at a time) by the end of the month. Just need a bit of time.

Stein: Fascinating. *Stands* Well, thank you for your time. I hope you check out the next issue of the IF Quirer. Come Rover! *Turns with a flare and runs from the guards*

Rover: Wuff *Follows*

Through the Eyes of a Newbie

After spotting my friend from another online site, one of IF's newest members, roaming along the streets, Stein pulled her aside for an interview. He reported back this interesting view on our city.

Stein: Hey there, good to see you again.

Cremuex: Oh, hello there and hello to you too. *Cremuex goes to pet the mechanical dog on the head*

Rover: Wuff *With a whir and a click looks up at you*

Stein: You remember my dog Rover. I'm glad you agreed to another interview so soon after coming to our fine city. In fact, I asked for this interview on that very subject! But where are my manners, how are you today?

Cremuex: Oh, I'm fine dear. I just got around to moving the boxes into my new residence and I've unpacked a few important things.

Stein: Glad to hear it. So, are you enjoying the city life?

Cremuex: I'm not really sure which life you're talking about. I love all the animals you seem to have accumulated here, whether naturally occurring here or from being brought over from other places. As for the people, I haven't really gotten a chance to really go out there, I'll try and do that when I'm finished unpacking and I'm properly settled in.

Stein: Interesting. What have you found that you like the most about living here in IF?

Cremuex: Well, when I first got here the headmaster of the academy (HalfEmptyHero) gave me a book about the cities history, I've thumbed through it a bit and it's fairly interesting- I'm more interested about what can happen in the future though. A lot of the stories I've read about this place have individuals with abilities that seem really strange or powerful, something I haven't faced before in the citadel spires. I'll probably like the community depending on what things I can get into to experience the city a bit more. The flora and fauna certainly are nice too, so's the weather, though I've heard strange things can happen with that as well.

Stein: Ah hah. . .Could you tell us a bit about what you've been doing thus far? Tell us a bit about your writings perhaps.

Cremuex: So far, it's mainly been unpacking. Writings on the other hand- I've collected a few that I've been interested in. There's one called Insomniac that I've got on my desk at the moment- I haven't finished reading it so no spoilers please dear. There's a book called Save Grargoth that I'm reading as well, it has a lot of characters, which can get confusing at times, but it's an interesting read. I'm writting with some others that I found on an announcement board called a wrinkle in time with such esteemed authors as Andolyn, Midnight, Vikas and Vishal Muralidharan, Undead Cowboy, Masterweaver and Logan Ethan Kane. I was looking for some people that might be interested in a My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic game to play with but it looks like there aren't any bronies that I've met yet, which is a shame, the brony community is just darling. I've read one called Eccentricity by BStheGreat but I can't find it in the Library any more... which is a shame, excellent book. Ihniwid was a funny story with illustrations, something not every story has. Emotional Extremes by Kalanna Rai is another good book though I'm not normally into romance novels.

Stein: I see. Now, being a little more objective, what do you think of the city itself? The people, the places and such. What draws you and keeps you here, and what do you find less appealing?

Cremuex: As for the landmarks, they all have their charms; be it history, architecture, culture, art- some even seem marked by some kind of magic. The people- well... lets just say they're not the sorts that I'm generally used to. *throws a glance at Stein's bolt* I think I can get used to it though. Most of the ones that I've gathered up enough courage to speak with have been splendid, the ones that haven't, well, not everyone will get along all the time, right? What originally drew me here was a friend, not to name names but they're wrote the Save Grargoth book that takes a pride place on my shelf. I first thought it was fiction but seeing some of the things that can happen here... I've second guessed that assumption. As for what keeps me here- a twelve month lease on a cottage will do that to you love. *laughs* That and I haven't had any negative experiences here that aren't under the normal 'you win some you lose some' of life.

Stein: Mmm Hmm. Is there anything you'd like to see more of here on IF?

Cremuex: Well, earlier I said about the Wrinkle of Time thing I was doing with some other authors here? I love that, I really love role plays because it allows you to interact with others and their characters which can show a lot of the character that wouldn't normally be shown. Some books it seems like ages when your waiting for them to come out. Some authors might have a great idea but not be able to progress with it since they're waiting for audience input. I like role play because it has a strong interpersonal connection and you can write as much or as little as your brain whips up and you don't have to wait a month to do it. I'd love to have more role plays around but that mainly comes and goes with supply and demand, maybe there's just no demand for it?

Stein: *Nods* Have you made any friends yet?

Cremuex: *sighs* probably not, one of the problems I have is that I can't tell if someone is legitimately my friend or if they're just being nice because of social conventions. People don't tend to go "will you be my friend?" any more unless they're in kindergarten. I've met some really lovely people, helpful too, but I'm not sure whether or not they actually like me or if they're that way with everyone. Not that being nice to everyone is a bad thing of course.

Stein: Heheh, I see. Have you checked out the Land of Odd?

Cremuex: Yes. It was... well, odd. Everything just seemed so... mismatched and out of place. I don't really feel I belong there so I don't think I've visit again any time soon.

Stein: *Smiles* Well, thank you for the interview, and I hope you check out the next edition of the IF Quirer. Come Rover. *Stalks off down the street following a suspicions looking fairy*

Cremuex: Your welcome, thanks for coming to talk with me. I will, Chasity keeps an eye out for any new goings on so I doubt I'll miss it. Bye.

Rover: Wuff *Trots after*

If Only Wordfind
The first three IFians to find all the words, mail PopeAlessandrosXVIII and you shall be rewarded from the IF Treasury!

Word Find Words:

Mindset
NaNoWriMo
Stein
HalfEmptyHero
Guilds
Muse
Serial
Romance

Wordfind Winners from last month:
1st: Cremuex Levier
2nd: Lilith
3rd: N/A

Linear Lane Looky Loo

Looks like we only had one active Linear SG this month. We need more support for the Linear Lane!

The Chronicles of Lanthos – Lilth

Come support the muse in Linear Lane today!

SparkleSteps – Tikanni Corazon – 6
Escaping Eternia – misterbiz – 4
Eden's Call – Lilith – 4
The Children of Leyond – Kalanna Rai – 4
Alice – misterbiz – 3

For the fourth month in a row, Tikanni Corazon comes out on top with SparkleSteps. In second place, flying back into the top five is misterbiz's Escaping Eternia. Stepping up one place is into the third slot Eden's Call by Lilith. With only a slight tumble, The Children of Leyond by Kalanna Rai now sits comfortably in fourth place. And last, but not least, Alice written by misterbiz muscles it's way into fifth place.

Top 5 Peek

With unexpected twists and turns, Tikanni Corazon's family centric fantasy SparkleSteps continues to tug at the heartstrings and shatter the imagination as the final showdown continues to wind up to the final climax. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, misterbiz moves from fascinating zombie apocalypse to terrifying zombie conspiracy in Escaping Eternia as we move from place to place, trying desperately to survive. From the masterful airy Lilith, Eden's Call throws curve-ball after curve-ball at the poor modern “Heroes” as they sink deeper and deeper in a mysterious realm of monsters and mystics, right under the modern world's nose. The war is fast approaching in Kalanna Rai's The Children of Leyond, and with amazing powers emerging, and the dead on the march, will these heirs to the throne survive, or will all fall to ruin? A glorious re-make of Alice in Wonderland, misterbiz delves into a more modern setting in an asylum with his fascinating, and terrifying tale, Alice.

Mr. Biz's Mindset
Story by Mister Biz.

It's that time again kiddies. Time for me to talk about what's going on in my pretty little head this month. This issue's article is about one of my favorite topics. Serial Killers and their effect on the horror and mystery genre, which brings me to the following statement.

Serial Killers are a necessary evil.

Now some won't agree with me on that. Others will simply think I'm trying to be a douchebag. But really, they are. First, without evil, there can be no good. There has to be balance. Second, their heinous deeds can be used to inspire great fiction and writing.

Serial killers have had a tremendous impact upon the horror and mystery genres. I could of course point out the most famous one, and the first recorded one, as Jack the Ripper but that would be too easy. Jack has more books written and inspired by him then all of the U.S. Presidents combined. He's been everywhere from comics to music to freaking anime. However, there are others that have affected great works.

Psycho. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Silence of the Lambs. What to these three things have in common? Yes, they are classic films but that's not the answer. The correct answer is the primary villain in each one was inspired by Ed Gein. A man who was known to have a collection of noses. The Slasher Flick genre of horror itself could not have existed without Psycho...therefore no serial killer, no slashers. No slasher means a very unhappy Bizzy.

In mysteries, we have one of the bigger gifts. Dirty Harry was inspired by The Zodiac, a killer whose identity is still unknown. The Black Dahlia is referenced in L.A. Noire. I know that that is a stand alone death but, in all honesty, someone who does something that horrible to someone has killed before or after. Thanks to these sadistic men or women, others have been inspired to create their own serials. Dexter of print and screen, for example.

I myself, have felt the influence. My villain, The Master, from my tale Kissing the Darkness (located in the Dark Horror section of IF) is partially inspired by master manipulator Charles Manson.

All of these pyschos and countless others, including the likes of Bundy, BTK, Dahmer and Son of Sam have brought forth great works and inspired amazing villains. I'm sure that whether the Long Island Killer is caught or not, that he will inspire someone in some way.

That's this issue in the bag. See you next time, boils and ghouls. IN the next issue I will be discussing my frustration at the lack of respect that my genre seems to get from everybody outside the genre.

Until next time, my loyal minions. I am Mister Biz and this is my mindset.

Poetry Corner

Poetry is one of the things that many writers seem struggle with, while others live in it line and verse. Here to share a bit from the keyboards of our fellow IFians is Poetry Corner. Please enjoy.

PopeAlessandrosXVIII – No Title

Tis strange how a book
beheld by most as comical
and of little literary worth

Can so rekindle my passions
of word long absent from my mind
and tongue

But now I feel anew
awakened once again within
the need and love for the written word

Of my tongue and of those foreign
I feel once again the burning passion
that is my love of words

Be now in joy for time has come
for once again my words grace
the eyes of others

And in this way I share my passion
more over too I share my love
of the thing so dear to my heart

Words

misterbiz – Fallen Angels

Your prison is hell in a brick made suit
You sit, scream and suffer like no one knew
The warden is a demon with a stone cold gaze
One wrong move and he'll set you ablaze
Prison is hell with you within
You must learn to know your sin

Can the lustful ever love to save their own soul
A beautiful demon waits to make them unwhole
Can the envious ever be content with what they so crave
Abandon your sin so that you may be saved
Are the wrathful ever truly appeased
For a mistake they are slaughtered, now are you pleased
Prison is hell you can never escape
Forever and always you are insane

Can the greedy ever love what they have acquired
The slothful waste away for the ease they desired
7 inhuman beasts of great strength and great power
They'll rip you to shreds in your most unholy hour
Are the prideful ever able to be brought down and humbled
The gluttons feel no shame as for a feast they fumble
Prison is hell for offenses like these
7 fallen angels wait to kill 7 fiends

You turn to the heavens and hope they didn't hear
Your undying blasphemy that draws the warden near
You start to pray to save your own skin
Forgive your debts because only your debtors sin
Look to God and for help you will yell
You'll never leave because your prison is hell

What Is Left Behind – Angeal Pureheart

The Sweet September Rain
Chased Away The Sun
Darkened Up My Skies
As Sorrow Sweetly Hung

Echoes Of Thunder
Embarked Upon My Ears
Screams From The Storm
Tormentingly I Hear

September Suffers
a Curse Of Much Disaster
Its The Perfect Month
Heartache's Surely After

The Sun Will Never Be As Bright
Smiles Will Never Stay
When We Remember
What Katrina's Took Away

Innocent Lives
Berried Under Rain
The Most Violent And Horrible
Vicious Hurricane

Sweet September
The Month Of Much Demise
The Month We Find Reason
To Over-Flow With Cries

Sweet September
The Heart Of All Our Cries
Simplicity Suffers
As Heartache Over-Rides

Interfable: A History

In honor of the 8th IF Day of our illustrious city, I have decided to begin this little section. Since we have 8 years plus of history, this editor will be posting each moth, a little snatch of that history. History, even for an online website, is something important to remember. Forget your roots, and it's all the more easy for you to be toppled. I realize that reading a City's entire history can be a daunting task, which is another reason for me to break it up like this. Well, enough small talk, on with Interfable: A History.

It all begins with our creator, Mark Keavney. He holds a PhD, is a web designer, a writer, and for a longtime was roleplaying game player. He's long held a love of Myth and Legend, specificly Greek Mythology beginning from a young age. He also enjoys the works of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. At the age of ten, he discovered the roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons, and for a long time, it consumed his life. In this game he could not only explore mythology, but create it himself. Twenty-Three years of his life was spent not only playing the game, but running his own, writing about freelance articles about it, and attending conventions centered around gaming. One day, his wife asked him why he liked gaming so much, and why he simply didn't write and/or read fantasy novels. In response, he came up with what he called the Seven Treasures. Seven things while not unique to roleplaying, seven things that come together in roleplaying and nowhere else. While other things may have any number of these treasures, only roleplaying has all of them.

These, Seven Treasures as he calls them are; Gathering of Friends, Strategic Problem-solving, Teamwork, Creativity, Roleplaying, Spontaneity, and Mythic Storytelling. The Gathering of Friends refers to the interactions between the players outside the game. Sitting around the table, just talking before, during, and after the session. The Strategic Problem-solving comes with each event that makes the players think. Using what they have in game, and in their minds, to solve the problems they come across. The Teamwork of each player, coming together using each individual's skills, not only makes for a good game, but builds friendship. Creativity is tested and stretched in a roleplaying game as each player acts on their own in ways the Dungeon Master may not have planned for. The game must not only work, it must be interesting as well. Roleplaying allows for people to step outside themselves to play any role they want to. Mush excitement is derived when Spontaneity comes into play, and the tale goes off in unexpected directions. And last, but not least, what our creator sees as the most important part of Roleplaying, the Mythic Storytelling creates worlds, histories, and the thrill of creating your own mythos. Those, are the Seven Treasures of Roleplaying, the very first sparks that began traveling through our creator's mind on his way to crating Interfable.

That's all for this month. Next time, learn about the flip-side if the Seven Treasures, the Five Dragons, and how these beasts ended Mark Keavney's twenty-three year run of roleplaying.

General News Report
Story by Mr. Biz

News Time, children! Ok, listen up, cause this stuff is important:

-- City of IF resident, BBS, has officially been banned. That's right. She was exiled due to repeated warnings about her spamming of the city with inane drivel. She has had a history of breaking the rules. The Council has made every attempt to welcome and incorporate her into the city, but she never listened. Now she's gone.

-- The Sunshine Princess has recently had good news. She is pregnant with a little prince or princess of her own. Congrats, Andolyn, and may your little one be happy and healthy.

-- Mayor Vikas has officially announced that the guilds are going to be shut down. Their respected leaders will keep their moderator responsibilities. But due to low numbers, the guilds are simply unable to stay open.

-- We have a couple new SGs this month: The Scholar, tale of in the Fantasy Forest & Emotional Extremes in The Humor House

-- There are also a couple new RPs coming to us this month: Kingdom of Isteraal & My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

-- IF has been excited to see the emergence of a couple new people and is even more pleased to see them active. Thank you and welcome to: The Airwings Oracle, Logan Ethan Kane, and Cremuex Levier.

And that's all for general news this last month! If you feel you have a bit of news you'd like to see in the next edition of the IF Quirer, feel free to contact the Chief Editor PopeAlessandrosXVIII at any time during the month.med myself

Happy IF Day!

Here's a Happy IF Day to all those who joined in February

A Very Special IF Day to our glorious founder of the City of IF:

Key

A Special IF Day to our only 7th year:

ethereal_fauna

Now for our two 6th year members:

hewithoutaname
OmegaTerra

A Special IF Day to our only 5th year:

Lilith

And now we're at our 4th year members:

Tshern
Lord Bryon
Jalorn

And here we have all the 3rd year members:

winter_fey_dragon
HalfEmptyHero
somecyberperson
Drizzt

Those who have had only one IF Day before, now for their second year:

SimpleDarkness
Phylazian
Dreamcaster
robin027
ArdentSeeker
BlueberryPie
anonymousjulie
Earla
LadyBlue
nyndy

And for those who are receiving their first IF Day:

madamerubies
tpriggs
fairywaif
geeace
vgracebutterfly
animedramame
calidath

Congrats to all and Happy IF Day

Words O' Wisdom

"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

Would you like to advertise in ?

Look here for more information!
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mentions of Lanthos and Isteraal.

Great issue Pope! Chock full of good information! You must've had to really scavenge throughtout the place to get all that you did. Way to go! You're really trying to do your part.

And thanks for the mention of my five year IF day! ((Although it really should have been Feb 7th, unlike it says on my profile, Feb 11th or 12th. *frownies*))

© 2007-2019 Lilith
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Post Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it Lilith-chan, I and my team try our best! As for the happy IF Days, we bundle all the IF Days from the previous month (Febuary in this case) and congratz everyone at once. *Stalks around* Time to start gathering for next month!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Topics: 20
Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great issue guys!! =)
Cremuex Levier
Resident

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this site's been going for ten years, I sure am late for the party huh?

As for the Major's interview I'm actually quite... poor at poetry. Other competitions though sound interesting.

And I read this too, thanks to Chas keeping her eyes keen.

I don't think I disrespect the horror genre, I just don't have much interest for it, though there is an Australian character that you might find interesting Biz, he's commonly known as Chopper Read, he has a few of his own books out too.
Angeal PureHeart
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know you were gonna put my poem in the paper! It's kinda cool because those who read it got a little sneak peak before I posted it on my thread! All in All, great issue~
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy If day to one and all and a special one to etheral - where ever you may be - we miss you.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: