Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Fable/medal idea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Fable/medal idea Reply with quote

Ooh ooh. Had an thought!

Regards the merit badge/medal thing I mentioned before, I just had a advance on that idea.

How about, we have certain medals and if you wish to give a medal for something, you can buy one and award it to the person?

For example: Flauna has put in two great ideas for two of my stories today. So I would pay (say) 100Fatbacks and buy an 'Great Idea* medal' and give it to her. You could have different 'grades' of medal. So a bronze Idea medal would be 100F, a silver 200 and a gold 500. Okay, we can work on the prices. Smile

Drawbacks? Would need some mod work maybe to make it nice, but perhaps we could "draw up" some medals and start a special locked thread that one or two people could update, which would be easier. The locked thread would be the Medals thread, and would contain a list of people with medals. Those people could then display their medals in their sigs. (Would need more sig space).
It could be do-able almost immediately.

This would hopefully:

+ Encourage people to give meaningful reviews/suggestions.

+ Give people something to spend Fatbacks on. (They pay the treasury, or another similar 'special user' so keep the fabes flowing.)

+ Add a bit of interest.

What say you?

*Perhaps we could spice the name up. Something like Order of Suggestion medal, or somesuch.
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Topics: 18

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I likee that idea. Anything that encourages more insightful posts and is something to spend money on is a good idea in my book. Very Happy

Thesopholis - A Noir Sci-Fi Story - Chapter 8 is up! Read it here
The End of the Voyage - Chapter 9
Shady the Furry Goblin! [Demon's, Satan and Slobadan Milosevic!] - Chapter 3
The Quest for the Legendary Rubber-Duckie! - Chapter 3
One Last Bullet.... Chapter 3
Green Eyes - Chapter 5
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea with just a few tweaks.

No more sig space Surprised In fact, larger sig space should cost mucho fables in my opinion.

Pay fables to award medals- sounds good. One IFian rewarding another or praising another in some way. Excellent.

Those medals should have a value, beyond just the feel-good factor. I liked Ravagerr's idea of random banners (like Bob the Apedog but it advertises a storygame for a paying author). Perhaps the medal could be a clickable ad to that person's storygame- or their favorite storygame if they arent an author. It'd be nice to have a medal awarded, and then that generates a clickable ad for maybe 10 clicks.

Of course I wouldn't know what all modifications or techy stuff would need to be done.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I do think it would be nice if you could display your medals 'i public', and the sig would be the easiest place to do it. I am only thinking of a medal piccy that is about the size of a smiley here, maybe a little more. A fuller size medal could be in the medal thread.

The Sig character count includes HTML code characters as well, so a medal link would add a lot.

Anyway, of course it is only an option.

I also like the random link idea. The way I was suggesting doesn't need any MOD code changes is all.
jnmrcs
Builder

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea but we are going to need more than just gold, silver, etc. Maybe something with more informations. Like Good Idea Silver, Best poster Gold.

You know the medal should say why the person is givving it to you and some ranks (as gold, silver, bronce, wooden... not sure about the last one Razz )
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, having a more diverse set of medals would be good, though that would put even more strain in siggies though.

I think Fauna was onto something with having to pay for more sig space. I think it should be kept at it's current level for free, maybe a tad less ( Surprised ) but then if people wanted more, then they would have to pay. I know I would. This would give us something useful to spend our fables on. Very Happy

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. I just used the Good Suggestion one as an example. You could have a range of medal options and each one could have 3 levels, maybe more. For example:

Order of the Good Review medal: Bronze, Silver, Gold.

The Cross of Suggestion Medal: Bronze, Silver, Gold

The Purple Correction medal: Pink, Purple, Maroon. (okay, whatever). For excellent corrections.

The Medal of Helpfullness: Bronze, Silver, Gold. For good help.

The IF Cross: (For some great contribution to IF) (And Bar). (Awarded by the King only).

You could also have some honors that the king coud bestow for certain acts of excellence to the city. These would be bestowed by Kingky, though perhaps the council could nominate...

Also, there is nothing to stop you have more than one of each of the 'donated' ones. I know it needs some work, but I have some ideas in this direction, I will whip some rough copies up tonight or tomorrow maybe.

Urg. Must sleep now. Boxed
Stubby

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyyy, this is really cute idea Wink

However, just to throw some technical noise into the thread

Changing the length of the sig space will involve changing the fundamental structure of the users table in the phpBB database. Unless you can find a reliable and _stable_ mod that already exists to allow this, then it isn't ever gonna happen. The potential such a change has for totally wiping out IF in the case of missing somewhere that it affects is just ... too high. You'd have to find a programmer that was very familiar with the phpBB code to know that ( s )he'd fixed every place where it could cause trouble.

It may be possible to put them to hte left with the Avie, or down with the Profile/PM/WWW/IM buttons with less trouble.

Also, if they were in sig, what is to stop people awarding them to themselves just by duplicating the HTML (can we say Thwack a Bob?)
Muaddib
Comrade

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I liked Ravagerr's idea of random banners (like Bob the Apedog but it advertises a storygame for a paying author).

Nice...nice, lambast me on my bad ideas and credit my good ones to someone else. Laughing
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately an interesting idea, if the technical issues can be overcome.

I like the idea of the small medal graphics going next to the PM, Email bar.

I'm only for more sig space, even paid for, if we can establish that it's used only for storygame links, medals, and maybe a one-line comment. Especially when the sigs are bigger than the actual posts.

Large pics, dragon eggs, etc, etc just clog up space.
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. That may be all well and good on other sites, but I prefer to see a generally clean sig advertising SG's and perhaps a small quote.

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muaddib wrote:
Quote:
I liked Ravagerr's idea of random banners (like Bob the Apedog but it advertises a storygame for a paying author).

Nice...nice, lambast me on my bad ideas and credit my good ones to someone else. Laughing

Oh...was that you? Unsure Well, it is a great idea.
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I it's good idea to post the "meadl" with on the pm, e-mail bar.

It could be just a small one. Also (I'm not sure of this, it's just a touight) the user could have some "hall of medals" or something like that, where he could show all the medals in a better size...
(just a thought)
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea, too. There's one way to do it that wouldn't require any modifications, which is to have the medals display in the honors section of the profile and be updated by the Mayor. However, that would mean you'd have to click on the name to see the medal, and it seems like most people don't do that.

Putting the medals with avatar or on the button bar sounds good. Would any of our techies like jnmrcs or Stubby care to weigh in on how difficult that would be (or even better, volunteer to do it Wink )
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can check... and even volunteer to do it (if found how).
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate posting generally negative stuff. And I don't want to put a downer on all the enthusiasm that's going on in this thread, but... I don't like the idea.

It sounds very 'gold star for effort' to me, and I personally don't want to feel like I'm in a schoolhouse here. If people want to go ahead with it, I'm all for anything that might help the site - but would there be a way to opt out of the system? I just find it distasteful to have my hobby graded like this. It would take a lot of the fun out of participating for me.

Sorry everyone. It's just how I feel... Confused
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. Though I like the idea of a medal system, I think it would work better if it was worked together with the existing honours system rather than something which could, at times, seem condescending. Giving any auther the power to do that is a mistake in my book. It would only really work if it was structured.

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of what you wanted to said shady.

I like the idea of an author giving some "prize" to his readers. But I don't want, as you said, feel like someone is evaluating what you do.

I'm not sure if that is what you mean.
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnmrcs wrote:

I like the idea of an author giving some "prize" to his readers. But I don't want, as you said, feel like someone is evaluating what you do.

That is what I meant, jnmrcs. I personally don't want to be reduced to having my suggestions and criticisms evaluated and graded by others.

I realise that it's a positive form of evaluation, but I still don't want that added factor for myself. I would find it unpleasant. I realise that's a subjective point of view, and I'm not trying to detract from other peoples' enjoyment of the site. I'm just saying that I would enjoy it less if that became the focus, rather than the storygames themselves Sad

On a practical note, I see no intrinsic value in the medals themselves. They're just a form of fable-conversion. They're not consumable in any way. I see a problem with medals undergoing the same form of inflation as the fables themselves have. What's the value of a medal when everyone has 2,000 of the little blighters?

Perhaps if the medals were programmed to disappear after 30 days, it would be a way of getting rid of fables? If you must have a medal system, then I think it has to be done with a view to getting the fables out of circulation, rather than having a 50F note that just happens to look like a medal Confused
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm weird...

You are right about everyone having a lot of medals...
It will be a problem instead of a solution.
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several parts to this idea, so let's separate them out and see if that can make clear what will work and what might not.

We already have awards. They're called honors and they appear on your profile. I've never heard any objections to them, but I don't think they're as well-noticed as they could be.

The new parts of this idea are:

- Adding a graphic to go with the award.
- Attaching the graphic to the player's post, such as in the avatar area
- Allowing citizens to buy honors for each other, rather than having them bestowed solely by the Mayor (or King)

Personally, I think these are all worthwhile ideas, although I agree that we might have to be careful about what types and how many medals are available so that there didn't get to be too many of them. Having only a certain number be available in a given month might solve that problem (or at least delay it). Having the medals expire might also work.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is what I meant, jnmrcs. I personally don't want to be reduced to having my suggestions and criticisms evaluated and graded by others.

It isn't really a evaluation thing, more of a 'thanks for helping' thing really. You would probably end up with more than anyone Stoat! Wink

If we did it then there would be no point in having the medals dissapear unless they were very cheap, and if they were very cheap then they would be given away left and right and just clutter the place up. I was thinking that these medals, most of them anyway, would be a little bit rare. Especially the 'gold' ones. and hence fairly expensive. Maybe 100f, 250f, 500f for bronze-gold. This would take some balancing out, depending on how often people used them. Too expensive and they wouldn't help the Fables issue, too cheap and the place would be overrun with medals.

As I mentioned above, there are two ways to do this: One for readers to give to each other. The other for the city to bestow. Infact, you could give out medals instead of Fables for SGotM, so you could end up with the SGotM Star medal - Bronze, for winning it once, Silver for twice and Gold for more.

If the city gave out medals though, it wouldn't help the Fables spending thing very much. I was just thinking this would give people something they could spend their fatbacks on with reasonable regularity.

I only suggested the sig space as it would be easiest, not really involving any modification to code. Most people could fit them in fairly easily. You would only need a couple of small circles/stars etc with a number in it for how many times it had been awarded. It would be nice to have it under your av. As for sig space, in the Forum I run it is easily changed by a setting in the Admin panel. I don't know if we are at our limit though.

Anyway, like I said, it's just a suggestion.
rlz

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we think of 10 different medals. They all can somehow go below the avatar, but be really tiny pictures. You can only get one of each medal, but you can improve it. Like if you get a bronze for most helpful posting or whatever, and then you make an even greater one, that bronze will be upgraded to gold. So that there is a maximum ammount, and it's not overcrowded with medals. Also, since it's only a one time medal (unless being upgraded) I think that a tiny bit higher than china's prices seem fair.

Oh yes, say a gold medal was to be 1000 Fables. But you gave someone a bronze which cost 300. Since you already paid for that and you want it to be upgraded you should only have to pay 700 additional fables. If you buy a gold immeadietly it would cost 1000 Fables. But if you want to upgrade from a bronze which cost 300 Fables, and want to upgrade it, it would cost 1000 Fables for a brand new gold. Actually, that would be even better. To upgrade, you must pay the normal price.

(Just suggesting here)
    Bronze=250
    Silver=600
    Gold=1000

If you wanted to upgrade from bronze to silver, you must pay silver's regular price. Just a suggestion. Smile

Edit: Forgot to mention that in your profile it would say what medals you have. In your avatar (underneath I mean) it would show up to 10 little tiny pictures of medals. If you clicked in your profile it would say in your honours, example:
    Medals:
    Gold Medal-Most helpful post
    Silver Medal-Something Else
    Fuschia Medal-Yet another Something else
    Rainbow Medal-The most all around whatever.
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muaddib wrote:
Quote:

Sorry Muaddib, I don't see where you posted this idea, but thas cool I trust ya... great minds think alike then eh?
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the medals would yes, eventually end up being a huge string of them no matter where they end up graphically, and there'd be too many awards being handed out to accomodate only 3 tiers as RLZ is suggesting, tho I liked the idea.

So hows about this:

The medal award system carries on much like explained so far BUT it encorporates some of the "get rid of em eventually" ideas by equating them to "votes" at the end of a month. The amount of awards you have recieved ends up being tallied and compared to the amounts of awards all other players have recieved and a Permanent medal for the month is awarded to the winning player.

Additionally, this is a way for the guilds to be competitive as Lordy and I have been discussing in passing there needs to be some competitive elements added there.

Part of the problem with the whole award idea tho is that few would care to sacrifice precious(or should be anyhow) fables to give an award to another, and we also need to keep the awards from being self awardable. So what we need to do is three things:

1: give a medal (or vote or whatever we'll call em) in the generous participation category to a player who gives an award to another. So not only are you buying an award for another, but you are getting one for yourself as well.

2: gifting yourself must not be allowed in the programming code.

3: Gift an award for one reason only one time... probably no way to validate this, unless when you buy an award for someone, you must link to the post which has been rewarded for.

So to recap, say we have the following, already suggested categories:

Order of the Good Review medal: Bronze, Silver, Gold.

The Cross of Suggestion Medal: Bronze, Silver, Gold

The Purple Correction medal: Pink, Purple, Maroon. (okay, whatever). For excellent corrections.

The Medal of Helpfullness: Bronze, Silver, Gold. For good help. (this may need to be divided up a bit... differing kinds of help... helpful feedback on stories vs tech assistance etc...)

The IF Cross: (For some great contribution to IF) (And Bar). (Awarded by the King only(Rav believes any should be able to award this, but council member's and King awards should be worth more).

I also think some of the following:

Honor of the Great New Chapter: for players to award the authors without necessarily having to nominate for best new storygame.

Tickled Pink Feather: for extremely funny remarks and posts

Crown of Deep thought: for extroardinarily provocative remarks

Plotmaster's certificate: to award authors for well worked elaborate plotlines.

Amulet of Leadership: a way for most of us IFians to recognize our strongest IF leaders, not necessarily even council members, but anyone we feel is really driving the show in a good direction.

Statue of Artistic Skills: a medal given for artistic incorporation into the story or post, or as a thanks for a players gift to a storyline...

Vest of Recognition: the category where players are given an award for each award they give.

OK, so I think those cover it.

But the basic Idea would be that you can buy medals for anyone in any catagory at any time as long as you can point to the post that earned the reward and you spend (I wouldn't suggest nearly the prices that Chinaren started with) fables to give the award. By giving the award you get an award in the Vest of Recognition category.

Awards are tallied at the end of the month and the permanent award is given. The first monthly award in a category is "Bronze", the second "Silver", the third "Gold" and the 4th "Platinum, and if we need to go much further we can get into gems.

Then this could go even further annually, with all medals given out for monthlies being tallied after a year span and players awarded for the year, reseting the whole game, but leaving the player with a crown for that category with the name of the year under it.

Guilds should be competing by tallying the amount of awards given to all their guildmembers and so on... I hope this idea translates easily and I don't have to spell the whole thing out, but ask if you are confused...

OK, so I realize this is just another idea here, but I really thought it would answer a lot of what has been said so far... killer idea in the first place really.

ok, so this has been one of my signature novel length posts... if anyone needs therapy after this one, just pm me and I'll give ya a phone number to someone who cares. Very Happy
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer to Stoat's comments...

OK, I can understand what you are saying there about the stars given out in grade school. But it helps people to have positive feedback, doesn't it? We're not being evaluated in the sense that we could fail, and who really gives a rip how many awards anyone has, but it could help you to advertise your stories to have them. This is because you are earning, not authority exactly, but some recognition of your seniority, aside from the number of posts, and some recognition of the quality of your involvement, which would give someone who is wondering whether to spend the time to look into your works and efforts a good reason to consider you. Its like a positive mark on your resume, more than a good little kid stamp.

That's how I see it anyhow. Anything which drives us to be generous and uplifting here is a good thing. If we had a worst story award that could be very counter-productive.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. This is a nice substitute for the Player of the Month, or whatever idea. It seems a bit more balanced? No it seems more fair, I guess. I think people here have different views of what they consider a good post. And I agree, I think a lot of people are giving good posts that are full of suggestions. Some kind of recognition should be given.

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think we'd want to replace the Storygame of the Month necessarily, but this system could be a way to give and recieve recognition in addition to it. I still like the SgotM.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, some good thoughts here. However we should keep it simple to begin with. I like some of the ideas above Ravay, but I think it would be too much work, initially at least.

Perhaps a slight amendment to the idea, which would solve a lot of the problems.

For the 'paid' medals, such as the Great Chapter Award, you buy one, as "already done", but the medal isn't put in the authors sig (or wherever) but at the bottom of the chapter, or suggestion or whatnot.

The medal would also be put in the honors section of the profile as a more permanent record. That way we don't clutter up the sigs (or whatnot) and the author still gets recognition that is there for all to see, as well as being in the Profile honors bit.

I think we could keep the medal types down at first anyway to no more than, say, six max. Though you could have them on three levels (bronze - gold) to add a bit of variety.

So how about initial medals for:

Good Suggestion
Great Chapter (or maybe funny chapter)
Wonderful Review (maybe including a well corrected)
Artistic skills (would reward more graphical contributions which Key is keen to add to the city)

Actually, I think the above would be good to start with. Like I say, keep it simple and see how it goes. We can always add more later, and these can be put in the POSTS (and honors section) and don't have to be added to the sigs.

Additionally we could think about later adding:
Great Story (or maybe brilliant character might be better)
Hilarity award (very funny post seperate from great chapter maybe)
Crown of Deep Thought (For insightful comments or whatnot)

and so on...

I will now go away and do a particularly crap Medal example for putting in the posts...
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUH? I said Player of the Month. It was idea that was meant to recognize one member of this site for being a good citizen. No more of that this person was giving constructive criticism where it counted, and had great ideas as solutions to decision points.

Sorry if you got confused.

-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good, china.

-Confucius
Muaddib
Comrade

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Muaddib wrote:
Quote:

Nice...nice, lambast me on my bad ideas and credit my good ones to someone else.

Sorry Muaddib, I don't see where you posted this idea, but thas cool I trust ya... great minds think alike then eh?

I agree completely.

If anyone wants to have a look at how banners work, check out www.swcombine.com, where they appear at the top of the page.
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key wrote:
We already have awards. They're called honors and they appear on your profile. I've never heard any objections to them

I have no objections at all to the honor system as is. They're honors dispensed by the Mayor and - this is the important bit for me - they're all for things that we have voluntarily taken up.

Marketplace moderator. I volunteered for that role, and received an honour for it.
Winner of SGotM. I volunteered to compete in that by accepting the nomination.

I did at the time, object in private mail to Ingro that I was nominated for Reader of the Month, without any option to decline that nomination. When I won, I felt that further objections would be seen to be churlish and, as the competition was dropped for the next month, I never raised it again.

However, I don't like merit badges, or lack of them, being bestowed on me when I have no choice in the matter. It's a personal choice, but people are already talking about turning this into a substitute for Player of the Month awards, so I think there should be an opt-out clause if you're going through with this suggestion.

chinaren wrote:
It isn't really a evaluation thing, more of a 'thanks for helping' thing really. You would probably end up with more than anyone Stoat!

Without displaying any false modesty here, I know. I emphasize that I'm only speaking for me here. It brings a drama to the situation that seems totally disproportionate to me. It's great knowing that you've helped someone, or that something you've written has made someone laugh.

But I'm a fairly quiet and shy person, although I don't always come across that way online. I don't want banners and ticker-tape parades every time I do something vaguely noteworthy online. For me, it's a great reward if people vote my option on a poll, or if they quote the line that made them laugh in my story and say it's funny. I don't want any more limelight than that, and I wouldn't welcome it if I got it.

I just want an opt-out, if people decide to go ahead with this. If it's at all technically feasible, I don't want to be involved. Especially if it turns into a substitute for Player of the Month, or some other type of competition.

Just a side-note to this - shy people often don't object to threads like this because they're too shy. There may well be others out there who feel as I do and won't say it, so I feel I ought to on their behalf.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't say I agree, but I respect your opinion old Stoat. I certainly don't see why we couldn't have an opt out. Seems reasonable.

I will make an opt out medal for you tomorrow. Wink
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! You're just asking for a thumping now Razz
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an idea shady.

First only an author can give a medal. So if he have an storygame he can give medal by that storygame. (We are going to need to limit the quantity for month, or something like that. We can also limit it if the author have wrote at least 3 chapters and IS writing one chapter each month at least)

The author buy it and then if the one who receive it doesn't want it he (or she) can reject it.

So the author decide to whom he (or she) want to give it but the person who receive it decide if accept or reject it.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I think that is what Stoat is doing, rejecting them in advance.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't come on for one day and this is what happens - a whole lot of posts.

I am tempted by the medal idea, but also thrown by it in a way. Evev with this amount of medals, it seems to me that it would still be the same people winning them. The same people being awarded the same medals time and time again.

Most of us already know who the best posters on the site are - Smee, Fauna, Shady, C'ren, Ravey, Ravay and ect. They know it and I doubt they need a medal to prove it to themselves. Adding them adds a level of comlication that isn't really necessary.

On the other hand, being given a medal could be a way of showing encouraging new people, the older among us already know our place. Needs more thought.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just thought it might be a bit of fun. And something to use our Fables on. Two birds and all that.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold medal prices have shot as high as 1,000 fables - would you really be willing to spend that much though?

I agree it would cut down on inflation, but only if people will actually contribute.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: