Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Boiling Cauldron - Chapter Ten - A walk in the park
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polls are closed?
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Topics: 46

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it closed itself. Apparently, we're going for a stroll to find some commoners, and more importantly, the prince's reactions!

I'll write it soon.*

*Read 'when I bloody feel like it.'

...No plans yet.
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Topics: 46

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, here's your chapter, now come back!

Chapter Ten - A walk in the park
OR
Eeny meeny miney moe...

"Let's go for a walk," Richard said.

"That is highly irregular," Harold said. "You are to choose here and now which one shall rule-"

Richard cut the senior mage off. "Now, perhaps. Here? No. I wish to take a walk with these two through the city. There is no ancient law forbidding that, is there?"

Harold sputtered incoherently. Richard turned back to the princes. "Come, let us take a walk. It must get awfully stuffy in here after a while."

The princes hesitated for a second, then got up and went to the door of the room. Harold followed them through the maze of twisty passageways to the entrance of the palace. Though he kept his eyes peeled, he couldn't see either one do anything wrong. Oh well, one of them will slip up sooner or later, he thought to himself.

A brief walk brought them to the central market. Thinking quickly, Richard cast spells of illusion on the two princes to make them seem like commoners. They drifted through the market until they came across a man living among filth. "You there, what is your name and story?" Richard demanded.

The man moaned. "Me name be David, an' I be the younger brother o' two witches tha' do 'orrible things ta people and naver get caught. I tried ta give 'em a lecture on morals, an' they cursed me something awful. Na matter where I go er what name I go by, I am to live in the filth and mud, to represent what they think of morals."

"How horrible," one prince said. "Here, I'll give you a room in the palace and some warm food, along with a bath. Then you can work for the crown, once there is one atop someone's head."

"Nay, it won't work, na matter what ya do. I could go anywhere and do anything, an' the curse would follow me. Who are ya to offer me any of those things anyways? Some sorta prince?"

The other prince looked smug and replied to the man's question. "I am, and I will give you a house in the city, more servants than you could dream of, enough gold so that you are comfortably well-off, and a life of extreme luxury."

Richard turned to the prince that had spoken first. "Prince Jeremy, arise as king of this land, and serve your people faithfully ever after, for as long as your reign."

The first prince nodded. "What gave my brother away?"

"The fact that he tried to be like you, but couldn't even do that without overdoing it. True goodness comes not from the act, but from the soul itself."

Joshua didn't look half as displeased as he should have been. "You may have declared my brother the ruler, but only you, I, he, and this man here know that. Once I am the only one left here, I can make whatever story up that I want to."

And with that, Joshua drew a short sword out and stabbed the poor man through the heart. He gave one gasp and fell still. Joshua drew his blade out, now slick with blood, and turned towards the mage. "Cold steel. No mage can win against it, and the spark of life in most things is drained instantly."

Jeremy drew his blade and prepared to fight his brother. Richard gathered his thoughts and energies, and managed to teleport the two princes and himself onto the palace grounds. Guards instantly surrounded the trio. "Bow to your new king, King Jeremy!"

The guards began to bow, which is not the most offensive posistion in the world. Joshua took this as a chance to kill his brother, and lept forward. That was a bad choice, as the defensive runes in the obilisks nearby recognized Jeremy as the new king and decided to protect him. Blue shimmering fields of magical energy surrounded Jeremy, and crackled as Joshua impacted them. Josh was thrown back thirty feet into a stone wall. Something broke, and it wasn't the wall. The guards surrounded the new king and the traitor prince, looking to the king for orders.

"Let him go. I don't want his blood on my hands."

Joshua got up slowly, seeing as it looked like one of his legs was broken. "I swear I will come back one day and reclaim that which is rightfully mine! You will regret this decision long before you die, I will see to it!"

The evil twin prince hobbled to the edge of the palace grounds, cast a glaring look at his brother, and continued out into the city. Jeremy sighed, and turned to Richard. "You have given me my kingdom and exposed my brother for what he really is. For that, I can never repay you, but I must try. What do you want?"

Richard thought long and hard. "I desire nothing myself right now, but allow me to rejoin my companions, and I shall see what I can do."

Jeremy nodded, and turned to a guard. "Direct the mage to his companion's room."

Jeremy was once more led through a maze of twisty passageways to a doorway, only this time, his companions were on the other side of it. They all looked very worn-out, as though they had come to some sort of conclusion. "Guys, wha-"

Thurgo cut him off. "We've been thinking and talking. A lot of things came out into the open."

Cheri continued. "Namely, you got into this to get Raven off of Thurgo's hand."

Raven picked up the thread. "An' seein' as tha's over an' done with..."

"We'd kinda like to stop wandering now. This is a nice kingdom, and it probably owes you by now." Fredrick finished.

Richard nodded slowly. "It does owe me, and I could ask for favors for all of you. You're sure you want to stop wandering now? I mean, Fredrick, you still have that stone attached to your rump, don't you?"

Din held up the stone in her palm. "This stone? I took that off not too long ago."

Richard sighed. "So, what else did you all find out?"

Fredrick sputtered, and Raimah would have blushed. Eirra looked at Richard cloyingly, and Richard grew quite uncomfortable. "Well," Raimah began, "Us ladies-"

Din interjected with a a-HEM.

Raimah continued, with a glare towards Din. "MOST of us ladies have been gunning for one of you men for a while now, and we kinda got it out into the open recently. In some cases, it was the reverse. We've acknowledged it and are willing to see where these relationships lead us."

Richard nodded again. "Cheri?"

She responded instantly. "Thurgo."

"Din?"

She would have glared at Richard, if he could see her face. "Nobody."

"Raven?"

"Aye, nobody as well, lad."

"Fredrick?"

Raimah cut in. "Me this time, I'm afraid, but I'll deal."

Richard turned to Eirra. "So that means..."

Eirra nodded and smiled again. "Yes indeed. And you'll have to live with it."

Richard sighed. "Well, let's go ask our favors of the king, then."

-----

"Most noble king, we have decided to ask these favors of you, if you would be so kind to grant them."

Jeremy nodded. "Who shall ask first?"

"I shall speak for the group, if you do not mind, m'lord. First, Raven, the thief and assassin of a hundred years ago, asks permission to reform his old guild."

"Done, so long as not too many people die for no reason. I guess I'll have to recruit more night watchmen."

Raven bowed and said, "Royalty an' royal business shall always be welcome from you, m'lord."

"Thank you...I think."

Raven walked out then, having much to do yet.

"Second, Dinranwen, the sorceress, asks permission to open a store to sell her magical oddities to the public."

"Done as well. I shall see to it a new building is made for her to do so. She may want to hang about a little while longer so that we can work out the details."

Din bowed and sat down on a bench nearby.

"Third, Cheri the druidess and Thurgo the monk ask permission to form a new faith here, one that honors both the powers of nature and the holy light of above."

"Done. They too might wish to stay to iron out the snags that will come about from forming a new faith."

Thrugo and Cheri also bowed and joined Din on her bench.

"Fourth, Raimah the Drow Priestess and Fredrick the knight wish to form a knighthood that embraces light and darkness, that embodies balence."

"That too shall be done. But with all these new faiths and knighthoods, it's going to be murder on the scales of power in the city."

Raimah and Fredrick bowed as well and joined Din on her bench.

"And finally, I wish to open a mage's guild that specalizes in Wild magic, seeing as I have gotten mine under control. Eirra shall join me there."

"Done. Seeing as you are all asking for residences here, you shall all be honorary members of the city and country. Welcome to Davensford."

-----

The morsels had escaped her grasp! Helga let out a scream that echoed throughout the plains, then sobbed. The first time a meal had ever escaped from her...She cried silently. Then she brightened. These morsels had gotten away, but she could go after their offspring! She pulled an empty bottle down from a high shelf and rummaged for a ladel. Carefully, she scooped some of the brew into the bottle, and watched carefully. The brew retained its unique abilites, and Helga smiled. Ten, fifteen, twenty years hence, she would pour the brew back into her cauldron, and the offspring of the morsels would make for a fine snack. "Oh, you may have gotten away for now, dearies, but Helga will catch you one day! Eheeheehee!"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thank you one and all for reading and voting. Yes, there will be a sequel. Just...not now. I hope you all like the ending, it surprised even me. It just demanded to be ended now, and so I let it.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

...No plans yet.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*applauds* Nicely wrapped up, IM! And I can't wait to see what you cook up in the sequel which I expect is quite aways away. This is well done and I commend you for that. Congratulations! Very Happy Laughing Razz Smile Very Happy Cool Smile Smile Wink Very Happy

© 2007-2019 Lilith
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*A loud crowd cheers, claps, and hoots in approval* Well done IM! Very Well Done Indeed! *claps her hands also*

I have to say I"m a little sorry to see this end...but To Everything A Season, and to Every Season A Time, eh?

Or should I perhaps to quote Shakepsere, "All's well that End's Well"?

Either way you put it, this was a great tale to watch, to be entrapped in, and to particpate voting in. I simply can't wait for the Sequel.

But if and when it's released, you can bet, if I'm around *winks* I'll be right here sticking my nose where it's doesn't properly belong!

Besides, I have to see what you going to do with my *clears her throat* descendants. Depending on what you do with them, if you do anything at all, I might just have to glare at you. And be forwarned, my glare can be very, very, deadly.

*runs off exicedtly curious to check out the oddities in her promised store*
Mastermind
Citizen

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*applaudes*
Excellent work, IM, a masterpiece. I can't wait for the sequel.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I supposed to say something? Because mere speech simmply cannot communicate this storygame's greatness....
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done IM. A great job!
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: