Genre Categories 2
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

City of IF -> Open Forum Archives

#1: Genre Categories 2 Author: Crunchyfrog PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:41 pm
    —
Okay thanks to all those folks who contributed and voted on some proposed changes to our Main Forum Categories. Smile

The winning option has 3 parts to it:

• Adjust HEM to General Fiction and Experimental

• Make Forum Descriptions clearer on what they contain

• Encourage Authors to write blurbs on their storygames.

Okay. The first one Smee will take care of I'm sure. Smile

The blurb item we'll give to the Main Forum mods to manage. Hey, that's Smee again. Note the deft delegation skills here... Razz

But the second one - making Forum Descriptions clearer on what they contain, still needs some input, if anyone is still willing. Smile

So we have the three categories - as they stand at the moment,

Fantasy, Sci-Fi Future and Horror, and what will become General Fiction and Experimental category.

My initial thought would be to simply list related genres/subgenres in the forum descriptions. This might (in theory) help place storygames and find them. So in the General Fiction category (which might need a lot of describing!) we might have Mystery, Romance and Westerns, for example.

In Skiffy, we could list Science Fiction, Thriller, Horror, Suspense, etc.

How does that sound?

Or any other ideas? If so, let's hear them! Smile

#2:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:48 pm
    —
First part complete - but the sections don't actually have a place for a description - what we come up with will need to go in the description for the non-SgoTM genre forums.

Alternatively, we put an empty, locked forum at the top which can serve as a description

Going to need a new picture for there too, that is more 'General Fiction' than a Jester Razz

#3:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:18 am
    —
I was going to post something here, but then I forgot. Probably partly due to old, old age, and partly due to drunkenneess!

G-Fie eh? Mmm. I'll have to think about that, needs to be catchier.

#4:  Author: scissorkittyLocation: Escaping the Hair Lair PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:49 pm
    —
ARMY DUDE! ARMY DUDE!!!

GENERAL fiction! Make it the Ifian Barracks!

#5:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:26 pm
    —
scissorkitty wrote:
ARMY DUDE! ARMY DUDE!!!

GENERAL fiction! Make it the Ifian Barracks!

Laughing

#6:  Author: Crunchyfrog PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:43 am
    —
Haha!

Well an army dude is beyond my artistic limitations but I did come up with this while having a go at graphics for the IFYs. Smile

(edit to add a second attempt)

#7:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:42 am
    —
I like the first one better.

Maybe it should be writing an 'F' or something?

#8:  Author: PhantomfanLocation: Deep within the music of the night PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:01 pm
    —
Nice!
I agree with China- I like the first on better.

#9:  Author: scissorkittyLocation: Escaping the Hair Lair PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:32 pm
    —
I like the first one too and also the "F" idea.

however.. i still love the idea of the Ifian Army Barracks.... What about some sort of militia symbol?

#10:  Author: Crunchyfrog PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 am
    —
Hehe, I'll have to work on that. I also think the army one is the better idea but I dunno if I could produce any artwork that would be convincing enough for that!

Will work on the 'F' in the meantine, and see how it turns out. Very Happy

Since there've been no further thoughts posted on what the main forum descriptions should contain, Smee and I have made a few tweaks to the main forum descriptions and you can see them here:

Fantasy
Skiffy
General Fiction

Smile

City of IF -> Open Forum Archives

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 8 Hours

Page 1 of 1